2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Cobra Putters

chouls19

Just spoke to Cobra. They said I can send the putter to them and they’ll take care of any adjustments. Said taking it to a local shop would void the warranty. Not sure if that’s the case for all OEM clubs, but with the 3D printing I guess I’d be more cautious. He said the main issue is the putters are all assembled and in a warehouse without capabilies for any custom work. They’re looking to improve in this area sometime this year. It seems so odd to put out a $350 putter in an era where all we hear about is their tech, the value of custom fitting, their primary spokesman embodies this, but they can’t find a way to bend lofts and lies. They must know what percentage of customers just order stock (I assume 95-99.9%), but if it’s really just a really small number wouldn’t it make sense to accommodate them a little smoother than buy the putter, ship it home, ship it back to another location, ship it back home again? I get the logistical challenges of them handling that themselves but also if trying to get adoption in a high end putter market you’d find a way, even if it is shipping it internally, or getting a couple of each model (what’s that, 20-30 putters total) over to the facility they do all their other custom work from? 

Gosh, this probably looks like a rant but I don’t mean it that way. Customer service was really nice and helpful and willing to help, even empathetic (but powerless) to help streamline the process. 

End of the day, I’m still on the fence between this and the Spider X and this work out as the tiebreaker. Especially if I have to kind of guess at my specs, I think the Spider would be easier to dial in (if I can find a good putter fitter, but that’s a whole other thread). 

3 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Just spoke to Cobra. They said I can send the putter to them and they’ll take care of any adjustments. Said taking it to a local shop would void the warranty. Not sure if that’s the case for all OEM clubs, but with the 3D printing I guess I’d be more cautious. He said the main issue is the putters are all assembled and in a warehouse without capabilies for any custom work. They’re looking to improve in this area sometime this year. It seems so odd to put out a $350 putter in an era where all we hear about is their tech, the value of custom fitting, their primary spokesman embodies this, but they can’t find a way to bend lofts and lies. They must know what percentage of customers just order stock (I assume 95-99.9%), but if it’s really just a really small number wouldn’t it make sense to accommodate them a little smoother than buy the putter, ship it home, ship it back to another location, ship it back home again? I get the logistical challenges of them handling that themselves but also if trying to get adoption in a high end putter market you’d find a way, even if it is shipping it internally, or getting a couple of each model (what’s that, 20-30 putters total) over to the facility they do all their other custom work from? 

Gosh, this probably looks like a rant but I don’t mean it that way. Customer service was really nice and helpful and willing to help, even empathetic (but powerless) to help streamline the process. 

End of the day, I’m still on the fence between this and the Spider X and this work out as the tiebreaker. Especially if I have to kind of guess at my specs, I think the Spider would be easier to dial in (if I can find a good putter fitter, but that’s a whole other thread). 

Yea hopefully cobra learns a few things from their first gen putters. They did alot of good things tho. I think you would be happy with the cobra, although if it was me id just opt for a vintage series.

4 hours ago, SollyinGA said:

I used a demo of the oversized blade the other day and quite liked it. Excellent feel and heft to it. I’m normally a SC Newport guy for reference.

I’m the opposite, I’ve been a fang player for a while, but agreed that I really liked their blade. It went back and through so beautifully square. The demo wasn’t sitting flat and flopping closed at address pretty bad, but overall I liked it more than any of the traditional Anser styles. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Notashank said:

Not available for custom orders in length or grip. No weights available to change head weight. Big miss. 

Huh? You can order lengths. He also said he got a vintage, which weights are available. That being said, a grip

change is what 20 bucks? Not a big deal…

Edited by Red4282

1 hour ago, gorthtj23 said:

Guys - fell in love w the putter and bought it. I went w the vintage 60

my question - the grip is too big for my liking. I want to replace it but not mess up the weight of the putter.  Can anyone guide me as to the best best way to handle this?  

Hard to really say, which grip are you wanting to put on?

16 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Huh? You can order lengths. He also said he got a vintage, which weights are available. That being said, a grip

change is what 20 bucks? Not a big deal…

When I talked to cobra they said no weights available out of stock except for 25 gramers. And 34-35 inches available only. I could cut it another inch but at $249 not for me. 

Edited by Notashank

8 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Hard to really say, which grip are you wanting to put on?

I'd like to use a more normal size grip, similar to a scotty cameron stock grip.  However, my assumption is that if i do that i need to add weight to it, correct?  

lets say the grip i buy is 50 grams, would i need to add 49 grams of weight (via tape?) to match the stock grip (its 99 grams per the website)....or is there more to it then that? 

i'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but i haven't had any luck w/ Cobra direct

2 minutes ago, gorthtj23 said:

I'd like to use a more normal size grip, similar to a scotty cameron stock grip.  However, my assumption is that if i do that i need to add weight to it, correct?  

lets say the grip i buy is 50 grams, would i need to add 49 grams of weight (via tape?) to match the stock grip (its 99 grams per the website)....or is there more to it then that? 

i'm sorry if this is a stupid question...but i haven't had any luck w/ Cobra direct

No no, it doesnt work like that. When you lighten the grip weight, you increase the swingweight, so actually it will feel a bit head heavier. Its also not a 1/1 ratio either. I think its 9 grams per swingweight at the grip, but 2 at the head. So 49/9= 5.4 swingweights. Then you would want to reduce headweight by 5.4 x 2= 10.8 grams. Putters are weird tho. Just so hard to know how it will feel until you tinker with it. But honestly if weights arent available and you cant find any aftermarket either, id maybe look elsewhere if you are that sensitive to swingweight. Cobra made a great putter but hopefully they improve some of these shortfalls with next gen.

• Like 1

I’m very impressed with the feel off the face of these putters.  Have a nice little “pop” feel at impact that is solid.  The vintage lines have nice shapes as well.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

Has anyone had one in the bag for a little time now? There was a Supernova listed on the Lefty’s Swap Shop that looked quite nicked up on the edges of the face, along the sole. Could just be the crispness of the lighting but it looked quite a bit more worn than I’d expect of a relatively new putter. I don’t want to submarine the guy’s sales so I won’t link to it but curious to hear if anyones finding this super delicate. 

• 1 month later...

I've had an agera armlock for 2-3 months and no issues with delicacy or abnormal wear and tear. I've heard some people say the face dings up easy - mine had a few imperfections/very faint wear marks in the centre of the face (bought it second hand) but since I've used it I've seen no additions to this or any other scratches or marks to the face or body.

As an aside I think the cobra/Sik tech is legit. Putting is the best part of my game for the past few years and since I moved to the Agera I've been putting better than ever according to my arccos stats. Could be the move to armlock, or could be armlock + Sik face + Moi of the Agera with all its fancy 3d printing.

I'm a putter ho - gone thru TM spiders, cure putters, seemore, even a wacky biomech putter. Before the Agera I was using LAB golfs DF mallet and then the Blad, both of which I really liked and rated highly. But I'd say the Agera has been the best for me personally. Again might be armlock tho! The ho in me is now eyeing up the Sik Flo armlock 🤣

10 hours ago, tezzlacoil said:

I've had an agera armlock for 2-3 months and no issues with delicacy or abnormal wear and tear. I've heard some people say the face dings up easy - mine had a few imperfections/very faint wear marks in the centre of the face (bought it second hand) but since I've used it I've seen no additions to this or any other scratches or marks to the face or body.

As an aside I think the cobra/Sik tech is legit. Putting is the best part of my game for the past few years and since I moved to the Agera I've been putting better than ever according to my arccos stats. Could be the move to armlock, or could be armlock + Sik face + Moi of the Agera with all its fancy 3d printing.

I'm a putter ho - gone thru TM spiders, cure putters, seemore, even a wacky biomech putter. Before the Agera I was using LAB golfs DF mallet and then the Blad, both of which I really liked and rated highly. But I'd say the Agera has been the best for me personally. Again might be armlock tho! The ho in me is now eyeing up the Sik Flo armlock 🤣

Don’t do it. I swear, the Agera feels better. The Agera is different looking. It has a look of a putter that definitely was assembled! But man, it is very stable and puts a nice roll on the ball. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 3/11/2022 at 10:57 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Don’t do it. I swear, the Agera feels better. The Agera is different looking. It has a look of a putter that definitely was assembled! But man, it is very stable and puts a nice roll on the ball. 

Agree totally...I like how the Agera looks and feels, and how stable it is...everything about it is great... Except the damn lie angle. I prefer my armlocks way more upright whereas I swear the Agera is like 70ish.

Means I have to position my lead arm with elbow bent like Kucher. Whereas I much prefer my lead arm fully straight and elbow locked out more like say Bryson.

When I took it in to get it bent more upright the shop said they wouldn't do it as there was a chance the shaft could snap and also there was no guarantee it wouldn't change the loft.

Hmmmm. Hehe I was literally about to put an order in for the sik Flo armlock 🤣

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

Has anyone seen the 2022 offerings? I spoke with a fitter who said they are moving away from the aluminum and will be producing all black heads. Apparently, he's seen them and said they look fantastic. 

Ah man, that kinda gets under my skin. I love my nova but the one knock is the face dings. Good to hear they addressed it, but not exactly thrilled about having to make the switch because of a design flaw.

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Ah man, that kinda gets under my skin. I love my nova but the one knock is the face dings. Good to hear they addressed it, but not exactly thrilled about having to make the switch because of a design flaw.

Ya, I have seen multiple show up in the used racks and on ebay with dings all over the face. A new blacked out look would be nice. I would definitely try and pick one up.

Thought I'd share some pics of mine incase people are curious about wear/damage to the face/insert/anywhere else

- I've had mine since mid Dec, bought second hand so 3 months. No idea how long other person had it. Maybe 3-6 months at a guess.

- I've played about 15 full rounds and maybe 6 or 7 X 9 holes. Arccos average putts a round is 32 so maybe about 600 game putts. Obv a bunch of practice putts as well

- i keep my ball kind of clean but not spotless. No sand or chunks of dirt but i don't clean it with a wet towel very often. I'll generally rub debris off it with my fingers or rub the ball on grass etc

- I always have the cover on the putter when not in use

- the way it looks now is pretty much identical to how I received it. The shots from the advert I bought it off didn't show any face wear 🙄

All in all I think it's stood up totally fine. Ive noticed no additional wear and tear. It doesn't have any dents but does have these tiny micro scratches but they were there since I got it.

You can definitely notice them in person but only when the face is reasonably close to you. From putting position or even hip height they aren't really noticeable. For me, I don't think the scratches have any impact on how the putter works, it's purely cosmetic.

I will say tho that obv it would be preferable if you didn't have any wear like this and if you are pedantic about your gear it will annoy you I reckon. Also might sit in the back of some people's minds and make them paranoid about damaging the face which detracts from enjoying the game.

I haven't noticed any other wear to the bottom or top or sides or to any of the 3d cartridge - I don't think anything is going to damage the 3d plastic cartridge thingo. What I am sure of tho is the silvery metal top would take a bad ding if you smashed the putter into your bag with no cover on it. The metal doesn't feel particularly hefty so if you smashed another club into it it'd dent bad I reckon. 

Also if people are wondering, I found no issues with glare from the silvery metal top...it looks shiny but it's not, it's like this brushed finish. And I play in Western Australia in blood intense sunshine!

Hope that helps! The Agera in armlock to me is the real deal. Feels super stable, the sik face feels like it works - the roll off it seems great. I also don't mind the futuristic look but could see how it would put other people off.

PXL_20220320_113647663.jpg

PXL_20220320_113638323.jpg

PXL_20220320_113627651.jpg

PXL_20220320_113617886.jpg

PXL_20220320_113516478.jpg

PXL_20220320_113454668.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 8:40 AM, tezzlacoil said:

Thought I'd share some pics of mine incase people are curious about wear/damage to the face/insert/anywhere else

- I've had mine since mid Dec, bought second hand so 3 months. No idea how long other person had it. Maybe 3-6 months at a guess.

- I've played about 15 full rounds and maybe 6 or 7 X 9 holes. Arccos average putts a round is 32 so maybe about 600 game putts. Obv a bunch of practice putts as well

- i keep my ball kind of clean but not spotless. No sand or chunks of dirt but i don't clean it with a wet towel very often. I'll generally rub debris off it with my fingers or rub the ball on grass etc

- the way it looks now is pretty much identical to how I received it. The shots from the advert I bought it off didn't show any face wear 🙄

All in all I think it's stood up totally fine. Ive noticed no additional wear and tear. It doesn't have any dents but does have these tiny micro scratches but they were there since I got it.

You can definitely notice them in person but only when the face is reasonably close to you. From putting position or even hip height they aren't really noticeable. For me, I don't think the scratches have any impact on how the putter works, it's purely cosmetic.

I will say tho that obv it would be preferable if you didn't have any wear like this and if you are pedantic about your gear it will annoy you I reckon. Also might sit in the back of some people's minds and make them paranoid about damaging the face which detracts from enjoying the game.

I haven't noticed any other wear to the bottom or top or sides or to any of the 3d cartridge - I don't think anything is going to damage the 3d plastic cartridge thingo. What I am sure of tho is the silvery metal top would take a bad ding if you smashed the putter into your bag with no cover on it. The metal doesn't feel particularly hefty so if you smashed another club into it it'd dent bad I reckon. 

Also if people are wondering, I found no issues with glare from the silvery metal top...it looks shiny but it's not, it's like this brushed finish. And I play in Western Australia in blood intense sunshine!

Hope that helps! The Agera in armlock to me is the real deal. Feels super stable, the sik face feels like it works - the roll off it seems great. I also don't mind the futuristic look but could see how it would put other people off.

Thanks for this report. Great putter. Hugs the ground and the roll is pure. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 3/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, tezzlacoil said:

Mine looks the exact same. Had it since last July, playing 3 times a month and practicing putting at least 3 days a week.

Just another thing to note:

Yesterday I found a place that was happy to bend the armlock more upright for me. Standard is a lie angle of 72° but if you want a straight front arm you need it to be more like 77-80(usually 79 just to keep it within tolerance of max lie angle).

They bent mine 4° more upright and to me it's way more comfortable and has a much more repeatable setup when more upright.

The other thing they did was check the loft. I've always had a suspicion somehow the loft was wrong - too low - like 4° instead of 7° for the armlock version. As soon as I gave the putter to the guy he asked if I'd somehow reshafted a standard Agera as it looked delofted at address. Showed him the stamp on the bottom showing the "AL" for armlock.

Anyway they checked sure enough it was off and by some margin. They rectified that and now it looks like there is way more loft than before. Someone else mentioned something similar in a thread on their Agera armlock, I think it's one of the threads where cobra sends out review units to forum members.

Anyways I still putt incredibly well with it prior to repair, but it's definitely disappointing that it wasnt correct from inception! Hopefully mine is just an outlier but something to keep in mind to check if buying this version or any future iterations. And yeah otherwise I would recommend bending it more upright! After doing that I feel like this putter is 💰 😁

27 minutes ago, tezzlacoil said:

Yesterday I found a place that was happy to bend the armlock more upright for me. Standard is a lie angle of 72° but if you want a straight front arm you need it to be more like 77-80(usually 79 just to keep it within tolerance of max lie angle).

They bent mine 4° more upright and to me it's way more comfortable and has a much more repeatable setup when more upright.

The other thing they did was check the loft. I've always had a suspicion somehow the loft was wrong - too low - like 4° instead of 7° for the armlock version. As soon as I gave the putter to the guy he asked if I'd somehow reshafted a standard Agera as it looked delofted at address. Showed him the stamp on the bottom showing the "AL" for armlock.

Anyway they checked sure enough it was off and by some margin. They rectified that and now it looks like there is way more loft than before. Someone else mentioned something similar in a thread on their Agera armlock, I think it's one of the threads where cobra sends out review units to forum members.

Anyways I still putt incredibly well with it prior to repair, but it's definitely disappointing that it wasnt correct from inception! Hopefully mine is just an outlier but something to keep in mind to check if buying this version or any future iterations. And yeah otherwise I would recommend bending it more upright! After doing that I feel like this putter is 💰😁

Can I ask who you had bend your putter for you?  I'm the exact opposite.  I need my Vintage Nova flattened from 70* to 67*.  No local shop will touch it because of being afraid of it snapping.  

57 minutes ago, tezzlacoil said:

Anyways I still putt incredibly well with it prior to repair, but it's definitely disappointing that it wasnt correct from inception! Hopefully mine is just an outlier but something to keep in mind to check if buying this version or any future iterations. And yeah otherwise I would recommend bending it more upright! After doing that I feel like this putter is 💰😁

These cobra putters have variable loft on the face (the SIK face DLT), so I assume it would hard to narrow it down to just one value and make assumptions on that. From their website across the face there is the following lofts (7°, 6°, 5°, 4°).

5 hours ago, ac49801 said:

Can I ask who you had bend your putter for you?  I'm the exact opposite.  I need my Vintage Nova flattened from 70* to 67*.  No local shop will touch it because of being afraid of it snapping.  

Is it the double bend shaft nova or the nova 40 with the plumbers neck?

8 hours ago, BombsIntoTheWoods said:

These cobra putters have variable loft on the face (the SIK face DLT), so I assume it would hard to narrow it down to just one value and make assumptions on that. From their website across the face there is the following lofts (7°, 6°, 5°, 4°).

They can measure each face on the cobra putters at least I'm pretty sure. It's not one smoothly melded face that gradually changes degree as you go along. There are separate plates for each loft.

Check out this review as well where his fitter checked the top face's loft. (His lie angle was off as well as the loft) good read as well:

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 1:50 PM, Notashank said:

Not available for custom orders in length or grip. No weights available to change head weight. Big miss. 

This is my big issue with them, they certainly have some that look fantastic but if I can customise it to my game then why bother with them and go with a different brand that will be flexible.

5 hours ago, Sathion said:

This is my big issue with them, they certainly have some that look fantastic but if I can customise it to my game then why bother with them and go with a different brand that will be flexible.

This is where I landed, too. They were willing to let me order, take delivery, ship the putter to another one of their facilities where they do club work, then ship it back to me. Seemed like quite an ordeal and all I wanted to do was bend the lie angle.