2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Epic speed triple diamond LS

QuigleyDU

Played this past Sunday with the TD and about half way though noticed what seemed like a strange ball flight, I thought it was just another crappy swing but looked at the face and there is a hook like scratch or maybe a crack a bit towards the heel and above center. Now I don't have near the speed to crack anything so I doubt it is that type of crack. This head had the strange 4 dots on the center of the face, which I never found anyone to explain what they were for. I thought maybe COR testing or something like that, which I can't imagine would effect the strength of the face.

I mentioned it to Cole Lewis by email this morning and he replied to call him, he said even if I think it is deep scratch a hook pattern is odd and he put me in touch with a nice CS woman who is sending me a new head and shaft tomorrow with a return shipping label.

Really I was not expecting a new head but that is Callaway's CS, they are the best. They did not have a 8.5* head with a 60X shaft so they are sending a 9* with a MMT 60X. Since I have never tried a MMT in a Driver it will be fun to try it out.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

3 minutes ago, Jim53 said:

Played this past Sunday with the TD and about half way though noticed what seemed like a strange ball flight, I thought it was just another crappy swing but looked at the face and there is a hook like scratch or maybe a crack a bit towards the heel and above center. Now I don't have near the speed to crack anything so I doubt it is that type of crack. This head had the strange 4 dots on the center of the face, which I never found anyone to explain what they were for. I thought maybe COR testing or something like that, which I can't imagine would effect the strength of the face.

I mentioned it to Cole Lewis by email this morning and he replied to call him, he said even if I think it is deep scratch a hook pattern is odd and he put me in touch with a nice CS woman who is sending me a new head and shaft tomorrow with a return shipping label.

Really I was not expecting a new head but that is Callaway's CS, they are the best. They did not have a 8.5* head with a 60X shaft so they are sending a 9* with a MMT 60X. Since I have never tried a MMT in a Driver it will be fun to try it out.

That totally sucks they do not have any 8.5 heads to send you. 

On 11/2/2021 at 6:57 PM, Jim53 said:

My 8.5 Speed TD came today as scheduled. It has these dots on the face which I would guess were from measuring? I was just a tiny bit disappointed it did not have a actual L/L stricker on it. Cole is going to check it out for me and see if the info is somewhere to be found. 

Otherwise brand new as far as I can tell and a TC serial number head. I hit a couple of balls with the Adila 60X shaft and did not like it at all, put my fuji pro 6X in it and killed a couple. Completely different feel with the Fuji  in it for me, He said the Adila was as close to the Fuji profile as they had but it was shockingly different to me. 

20211102_183833_resized.jpg

I never noticed it before but you can see the hook like scratch or crack in this picture, which I took when I took the plastic off the head. Just left of the top dot towards the heel. Maybe some pro was hammering this head before I got it.

SLED # 1  35.5

1 minute ago, TheMoneyShot said:

That totally sucks they do not have any 8.5 heads to send you. 

They did have some but really a 9* is more my speed, the head is a lot lower spin than I expected. But honestly I can't imagine .5 degree making any difference to anything. I have had it all the way down with a -2 adapter (low bullets)  and all the up and 8.5 seemed to be about the best when swinging well. 

SLED # 1  35.5

18 hours ago, Jim53 said:

I never noticed it before but you can see the hook like scratch or crack in this picture, which I took when I took the plastic off the head. Just left of the top dot towards the heel. Maybe some pro was hammering this head before I got it.

Those markings do look like it was CT tested for tour stock. Does it have a TC serial?

On 11/22/2021 at 6:19 PM, Jim53 said:

They did have some but really a 9* is more my speed, the head is a lot lower spin than I expected. But honestly I can't imagine .5 degree making any difference to anything. I have had it all the way down with a -2 adapter (low bullets)  and all the up and 8.5 seemed to be about the best when swinging well. 

.5 degree can make a difference in this head.  Even if it’s just a couple hundred rpm’s, it could help with controlling the flight better.  I have a 10.1 TD LS head and then hit a 9.6 TD LS head and it’s a world of difference for me.  Since then I’ve gotten a Triple Diamond DS that is 9.6 as well and it’s a beast.  Unfortunately the shaft I was using was too light and I’m currently getting it tipped.  Every once in a while I can overpower it and straight hook city.  Did play in a tournament a couple weeks ago with it (only the 2nd time I hit it) and only had a couple bad swings.  The rest were just high bombs that went forever, even in the cold rainy weather.  

if the tipping doesn’t work, I’m going to get a Ventus TX flex and that should def help my miss.  Cannot wait to try it out with the tipping as I get the shaft back Sat and I’m playing Sunday.  Will put it up against the “current” driver TSi3 9* with my AutoFlex SF505XX.  

normally the AFXX worked better with a head around 200g and why I didn’t try the TD DS in it.  Just happened to try the TSi3 as I was bringing it for a friend to hit as he’s never hit the AF.  The TSi3 comes in at 195g and so does the TD DS.  So I’m going to try the AF with the TD DS soon.  

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym Smoke AI Triple Diamond 9* Proxima 6X

PXG Black Ops Tour-1 9* Ventus Blue Plus 6X

TM Stealth2 Plus 3 wood 15*- Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Rogue “T” Triple Diamond 19* 5 wood- Ventus TR Blue 8X
4-PW PXG Gen5 Darkness 0311T MMT 105TX 2* flat
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  50* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  54* Axiom 125X
PXG Sugar Daddy 2  58* Axiom 125X
LAB Mezz Max-heavy version, 35” with Stability Tour Fire shaft. Press II 3.0 grip
PXG Hybrid stand bag

On 11/26/2021 at 2:19 AM, My2Dogs said:

.5 degree can make a difference in this head.  Even if it’s just a couple hundred rpm’s, it could help with controlling the flight better.  I have a 10.1 TD LS head and then hit a 9.6 TD LS head and it’s a world of difference for me.  Since then I’ve gotten a Triple Diamond DS that is 9.6 as well and it’s a beast.  Unfortunately the shaft I was using was too light and I’m currently getting it tipped.  Every once in a while I can overpower it and straight hook city.  Did play in a tournament a couple weeks ago with it (only the 2nd time I hit it) and only had a couple bad swings.  The rest were just high bombs that went forever, even in the cold rainy weather.  

if the tipping doesn’t work, I’m going to get a Ventus TX flex and that should def help my miss.  Cannot wait to try it out with the tipping as I get the shaft back Sat and I’m playing Sunday.  Will put it up against the “current” driver TSi3 9* with my AutoFlex SF505XX.  

normally the AFXX worked better with a head around 200g and why I didn’t try the TD DS in it.  Just happened to try the TSi3 as I was bringing it for a friend to hit as he’s never hit the AF.  The TSi3 comes in at 195g and so does the TD DS.  So I’m going to try the AF with the TD DS soon.  

Funny, I had an 8.5 head crack as well and they replaced mine with a 9.0 too. I was pretty bummed. I already had a backup 9.0 and don't need another. Really wanted that 8.5 back. The flight and spin were much better 

D - Callaway Paradym TD 10.5 @ N/S w/ Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60tx

2H - Ping G430 w/ Accra TZ5 90H M5, FLAT

4H - Ping G430 w/ Aldila Rogue Black 95tx

DI - Ping iCrossover 4iron w/ Tensei CK PRO Orange 90tx

5&6 Edel SMS, 7-PW Edel SMS Pro w/ Accra TZi 105

Wedges - Callaway JAWS RAW 52W @ 51, 56W @ 54, 60X @ 60, 60Z @ 62 w/ Accra iSteel Wedge 120, Z Grind Gamer has a BGT ZNE 130 

Grips - SuperStroke S-Tech Cord (White) 2+2 

Putter - My TaylorMade TP Soto w/ Mitsubishi MMT & SuperStroke Tour 3.0 17 @ 38.5" 

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

SuperStroke TXR1000 Rangefinder, Ping Tour Glove, UnderArmour 

Put the 9* Speed TD in play this morning and what surprised me the most was the MMT 60X shaft, it worked very well. I did a extended warm up this morning trying 3 balls with the MMT, then the Fuji Pro, then the Adila Maugnum and then repeated the process, the MMT was the most consistent. None of them are especially long with my speed but the MMT was straighter than the other two and I figured the fuji would win out.

I found I could actually turn the MMT over and hit an actual draw (not a pull) which was nice, my stock fade was just swing hard and it worked as planned. It was cold for Florida (low 50's) so a bit stiffer than the normal stiffness which hindered any real power while warming up, but the back 9 I put some more into it and saw a bit better distance on a couple that were center face. 

• Like 2

SLED # 1  35.5

• 1 month later...

Just got a TD LS 9* and played with it for the first time Thursday.  My swing speed is 103-ish, good mechanics, mostly center hits and I hit a legit 260 yard drive uphill, into a slightly hurting wind off the right, on soft fairways.  That was the only one I tracked, but I had a few others that were just as good.  Love it!  Have a Ventus Blue 6S in it.  

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 10:55 PM, boyce89976 said:

Just got a TD LS 9* and played with it for the first time Thursday.  My swing speed is 103-ish, good mechanics, mostly center hits and I hit a legit 260 yard drive uphill, into a slightly hurting wind off the right, on soft fairways.  That was the only one I tracked, but I had a few others that were just as good.  Love it!  Have a Ventus Blue 6S in it.  

I'm gaming the exact same set up.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Is the rouge st 🔹🔹🔹ls a significant upgrade from this one?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I have both the Epic Speed TD LS and Rogue ST TD LS in 9 degree and used the same shaft. Epic Speed is a TC serial head with 5 grams in front and 9 grams in back. Rogue ST is all standard. Both weighed out to 196 grams. Noticed about the same distance and accuracy normally, just that the Rogue had a lot higher ballflight, which gets affected by wind of course. Rogue definitely seemed more fade biased than the Epic. I’d say forgiveness is about the same. Preferred the sound of the Epic much more. It’s a solid wood bat-like crack whereas the Rogue has a more noticeable metallic ting. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mike Jamieson said:

Does anyone have experience with the Epic Speed Triple Diamond DS (Draw Spin) head they can share?

I just got one from CPO but won’t hit it until later this week 

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

11 hours ago, Mike Jamieson said:

Let me know your thoughts on the DS!!...I saw them there too...really interested in it...do you know if it has the Cyclone Aero Shape or is it more of LS with weighting in the heel vs front?

I asked Wunder about the DS during a Q&A and he said it's 'not just hotmelt in the heel' and the CG has been moved with the design of the head. I do not know about the aero shape.

I am assuming this head is also 450cc like the rest of the TDs as well.

I do notice that anyone who had this DS in the bag has it set to a +1 setting and also sometimes the D setting. So either this head is pretty neutral and the others are fade biased - or the guys on the Callaway truck really do only use this head for guys who really need to draw it bigtime.

I saw specs from Michelle Wie, Leishman, and Bezuidenhout who all had this in the bag.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

5 hours ago, laguna79 said:

Was sitting on the fence whether to buy  a 💎💎💎DS from CPO

CPO has 25% off, so pulled the trigger.

Can’t wait to see if it’ll push out my TSI4 out of the bag

I mean you're already playing the most unforgiving driver ever made so the TD can't be too bad 🤣

On 5/16/2022 at 9:02 PM, Mike Jamieson said:

Let me know your thoughts on the DS!!...I saw them there too...really interested in it...do you know if it has the Cyclone Aero Shape or is it more of LS with weighting in the heel vs front?

16 hours ago, Sleeky_D said:

Had my eye on this when it first released on tour. I’m really glad to see they’re offering them on CPO. Please do share your feedback with it once you’ve tested it, if you don’t mind! 

Okay well just got back from the range. Hit about 50 balls with both the TD DS and the polar opposite - a retail Rogue ST Max.

The TD DS definitely has a different sound and feel. Thicker face on the TD DS. I played it at +1/N. Face looks very closed at address but maybe its also how I hold the club. Doesnt bother me but I know some guys dont like that. NOTHING went left with it. 

I have a two way miss because I suck so that was still prevalent with both, but the number of left misses was down with the TD DS surprisingly. 

The head feels very neutral in flight. You do have to center it pretty good for it to perform, though.

Felt I needed some more time with the TD DS today after that range session. I was just kind of wailing away with it not really focusing. Decided to play the front 9 and just get out there without any warm ups. The DS performed really well on the course. 

Just consistent long draws down the middle. As I got more comfortable with it my left miss went away completely and was just a slightly offline push instead. I also feel like I can still hit good shots when I get steep which is fantastic. Any other driver produces a crazy moon ball but not the DS.

Looks like it will stay in the bag for now.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics. That is crazy how different they are 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond