Epic speed triple diamond LS

QuigleyDU

On 9/28/2021 at 10:22 AM, rorykoepka said:

Super helpful thank you! I'm pretty set on getting a ventus black 5x and wanted to find a head to pair it up with.  Unfortunately not a single fitting studio (true spec, club champion, specialty fitters) actually carries the ventus black 5x so can't really try it out.  I'm leaning sim but the TD LS got me curious

Owned and played ALL 3 of them. TSi3 is was the easy winner for me. Best all around head for SCORING (combination of distance and accuracy - hitting fairways) which is the name of the game. 

• Like 3

had 2 great rounds with the TD and decided I was going to keep it and sell my MAX LS. Once I had the MAX LS boxed up and headed out, I had a really tough time with the TD the next round. I realize it's mostly operator error, but I missed the forgiveness of the MAX last round.

3 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

Is the TD LS fade biased at all? Difference between the 10.5 deg and 9 deg model? I def get along with fade biased drivers more

my experience...

Coming from the MAX LS, the TD was noticeably flatter lie. I only have experience with the 9 deg model but launch has been similar between the MAX and the TD where the std speed that I played before the MAX was a little higher launch, causing me to play it at -1 on the adapter. 

• Thanks 1

Idk if my 8.5 can end up beating my TSI3 but maybe for the first time in my life I’m going to do the smart thing and not test it. I’m hitting my TSI too well to even mess with. If anyone is interested please let me know 

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

• 4 weeks later...

So, I've not been very happy with my SIM driver (9 degree) and it's built in fade bias.  If I get lazy, which happens a lot, haha, it just goes right.  As a result, I've never really felt confident with it.  

I'm a pretty high spin player with the driver, but with a low-ish swing speed of 102-105mph.  I tend to hit the center of the face, and was a 2 handi at one point a couple of years ago until shoulder injuries ended by golf for a couple years.  

I'm looking at the Epic TD LS, but have a question on which loft to get.  Current SIM is 9 degrees and about 1 degree open (which doesn't help the fade bias).  My normal shot when swinging well is straight to baby draw.  

My question is this:  How much does the face angle change on the Epic with 1 degree loft adjustments?  I'm thinking about going 10.5 degrees and dialing it down 1 degree and going upright, but I don't want the face to open up too much by doing that (although I prefer the square to slightly open look vs. closed.  

1 minute ago, boyce89976 said:

So, I've not been very happy with my SIM driver (9 degree) and it's built in fade bias.  If I get lazy, which happens a lot, haha, it just goes right.  As a result, I've never really felt confident with it.  

I'm a pretty high spin player with the driver, but with a low-ish swing speed of 102-105mph.  I tend to hit the center of the face, and was a 2 handi at one point a couple of years ago until shoulder injuries ended by golf for a couple years.  

I'm looking at the Epic TD LS, but have a question on which loft to get.  Current SIM is 9 degrees and about 1 degree open (which doesn't help the fade bias).  My normal shot when swinging well is straight to baby draw.  

My question is this:  How much does the face angle change on the Epic with 1 degree loft adjustments?  I'm thinking about going 10.5 degrees and dialing it down 1 degree and going upright, but I don't want the face to open up too much by doing that (although I prefer the square to slightly open look vs. closed.  

I think the the angle to face ration is 1 to 1.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

9 hours ago, boyce89976 said:

I think the std lie on the TD is flatter than the other Epic Speed models. I went directly from a MAX LS to the TD and the TD was flatter for sure, even in the draw setting. I played a few TM drivers with twist face and always thought they looked open because of the toe section.

My Swing Speed is about the same as yours and I played 9 deg SIM at stated loft. Currently playing TD LS at stated 9 deg loft and it's a nice window for my swing.

Edited by stoneydukes
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, boyce89976 said:

the ratio is 2:1. 

for every 1 degree change in loft, the face angle will change 2*. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, boyce89976 said:

Really?  Wow, I hope that's not the case... seems like a lot?  With TM it's .75 degrees of face angle for 1 degree of loft change, I think?  

Hmm. I certainly abhor when people state something as fact when they have no idea, especially if someone else is relying on that info. So my apologies if I’m wrong... I thought the 2:1 ratio was consistent amongst all cogs. 

1 hour ago, Mookieb10 said:

Hmm. I certainly abhor when people state something as fact when they have no idea, especially if someone else is relying on that info. So my apologies if I’m wrong... I thought the 2:1 ratio was consistent amongst all cogs. 

You could be right for all I know, I was just surprised that it could be a 2:1 ratio.  I could be wrong about TM's ratio too, but I'm 99% certain it's not a 2:1 ratio unless something has changed.  It may be 1.25:1?  Sorry if it sounded like I was questioning your info, that wasn't my intention.  

Thanks for the info, guys! 

So, according to Trackman's recommendation, I just came home with a 9 degree Speed with the stock Tensei shaft.  😂 

I'm not swinging very fast right now, about 8-10mph down from my normal 103-105mph, I think due to the Covid Pneumonia I fought off for a month in mid August.  But my launch and spin numbers were good according to guy that was fitting me. 

Averaged about 14.5 launch, 5.5 degree attack, 2200rpm spin, 6 degree path and -1.5 degree face angle.   

Hit it better than the Max LS with the same shaft (the Max LS actually spun a few hundred rpm more for me).  The stock Smoke shaft was too hard for me to turn over right now, but might be an option once my strength comes back.  Looking forward to the first outing with it on Wednesday.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, boyce89976 said:

Thanks for the info, guys! 

So, according to Trackman's recommendation, I just came home with a 9 degree Speed with the stock Tensei shaft.  😂 

I'm not swinging very fast right now, about 8-10mph down from my normal 103-105mph, I think due to the Covid Pneumonia I fought off for a month in mid August.  But my launch and spin numbers were good according to guy that was fitting me. 

Averaged about 14.5 launch, 5.5 degree attack, 2200rpm spin, 6 degree path and -1.5 degree face angle.   

Hit it better than the Max LS with the same shaft (the Max LS actually spun a few hundred rpm more for me).  The stock Smoke shaft was too hard for me to turn over right now, but might be an option once my strength comes back.  Looking forward to the first outing with it on Wednesday.  

I hope it works out for you. I MUCH prefer the sound of the std speed and TD to the MAX LS. Please report back even though this is the TD thread I like to hear about other people digging the Speed family

• Like 1

Really liking my speed triple diamond non ls version. Great sound and feel. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* with GD Tour AD VF 5 stiff untipped

Taylormade Burner Mini 13.5* with GD Tour AD VF 6 stiff untipped 

Ping i530 4-P,U with Fujikura Axiom 125x 

Ping s159 wedges 52s, 56s, 60h with Fujikura Axiom 125x

Odyssey Ai One Milled Eight T S

2024 Callaway Tour 
Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

2 hours ago, stoneydukes said:

I hope it works out for you. I MUCH prefer the sound of the std speed and TD to the MAX LS. Please report back even though this is the TD thread I like to hear about other people digging the Speed family

So is the difference between the standard and TD version just the straighter face and higher toe on the TD and the two weights vs. just the one?  

I wanted the TD version, but the Cally site only has the 10.5 degree.  

I've never had spin numbers as low as I got today with the Speed.  I had a couple good drives that were in the high 1900's on spin.  Best thing though is when I did flare it right spin never got over 2800 rpm.  With the SIM I was seeing 3200-3300 on those flared shots.  Also, with the Speed, those flares are more pushes, where with the SIM they were push/fades.  

12 hours ago, boyce89976 said:

So is the difference between the standard and TD version just the straighter face and higher toe on the TD and the two weights vs. just the one?  

I wanted the TD version, but the Cally site only has the 10.5 degree.  

I've never had spin numbers as low as I got today with the Speed.  I had a couple good drives that were in the high 1900's on spin.  Best thing though is when I did flare it right spin never got over 2800 rpm.  With the SIM I was seeing 3200-3300 on those flared shots.  Also, with the Speed, those flares are more pushes, where with the SIM they were push/fades.  

I think the TD has a flatter lie so it looks a little more open (fade or straight bias) than the others but I played the Max LS for a couple months this summer in between the std speed and my TD LS so can’t recall direct comparison from std speed to TD LS. I liked the std speed a lot but talked myself into the forgiveness of the Max. It was definitely more forgiving at the expense of some yards and sound (IMO). I came across a deal on a TD LS and fell back in love with the deeper carbony sound of that over the Max so that’s where I sit currently. Playing with Ventus blue Velocore which I’m pretty convinced is the best shaft available for my swing. I have a Ventus Black I’m trying but think it may be too low spin with the TD LS. 
to answer your question, my understanding is that the extra weight up front (sub zero esque) is the primary difference. The head shapes between std speed and TD are very similar from what I recall and I don't believe the TD has a higher toe. 

Edited by stoneydukes
  • Like 1

Hey everyone, I spoke to Cole Lewis today at Callaway Preowned (512-617-7131) and they have 136 Speed TD's in stock to sell and should have the LS up in a few days or maybe even tomorrow.

He can see some in the system but does not have pricing yet, he is going to let me know in the morning when they will be available but I went ahead and ordered a Speed TD 8.5* with a Roque White 60X as I doubt I need the LS. Decent discount and it will ship tomorrow. Not really worried about the shaft since I have the fuji pro 2.0 6X I love and the Aldila NV 44 Magnum in X as backups.

But as a slower SS but high spin player if they are available tomorrow I would change just because I am nuts.

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

1 hour ago, Jim53 said:

Hey everyone, I spoke to Cole Lewis today at Callaway Preowned (512-617-7131) and they have 136 Speed TD's in stock to sell and should have the LS up in a few days or maybe even tomorrow.

He can see some in the system but does not have pricing yet, he is going to let me know in the morning when they will be available but I went ahead and ordered a Speed TD 8.5* with a Roque White 60X as I doubt I need the LS. Decent discount and it will ship tomorrow. Not really worried about the shaft since I have the fuji pro 2.0 6X I love and the Aldila NV 44 Magnum in X as backups.

But as a slower SS but high spin player if they are available tomorrow I would change just because I am nuts.

How did you get a 8.5 head?  I thought those were “tour only”?

3 hours ago, Jim53 said:

What is a 'decent discount'. Are they still $500 or are they $300 like the others?

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

9 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

How did you get a 8.5 head?  I thought those were “tour only”?

It is listed as a " Tour Certified" in my order history. The have 8.5, 9.5 & 10.5 available. 

• Like 1

SLED # 1  35.5

On 10/28/2021 at 6:59 PM, Jim53 said:

So will these be listed on the Callaway Preowned website or do you need to call them directly.  Would really like to grab a TD LS 10.5 to compare to my current Max LS.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 14* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

35 minutes ago, jblough99 said:

So will these be listed on the Callaway Preowned website or do you need to call them directly.  Would really like to grab a TD LS 10.5 to compare to my current Max LS.

Phone reps can see inventory not on the website - but the website updates every 4 hours or so. BUT if the inventory is marked as not for the website yet with a certain release date than it wont show up until that date but reps can still see it.

SOMETIMES they will get in trouble for pre-selling items like this so YMMV. I had a rep sell me MD5 wedges last year before he was supposed to and he got a slap on the hand for it.

Cole has been with CPO for a long time, though so it's probably ok.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

36 minutes ago, jblough99 said:

When I spoke to Cole yesterday they did not yet have pricing for the LS heads so it could be a few days or weeks before they (corporate) decide to list them. I went ahead with my order for the 8.5 speed instead of waiting. 

He did not know if they would list them or just do call in sales.

SLED # 1  35.5

Just placed my order for the 10.5 TD Speed

Was $449 - no issue ordering and it’s not something they can get in trouble for so have at it.

also they are all “outlet” condition so new in wrapper

They have a hodgepodge of shafts on these heads it’s pretty hilarious.

Aldila NVS Orange, Aldila Synergy, MMT, Eveflow Blue and Orange, Tensei AV Blue, etc

it’s a shitshow but the rep should be able to tell you what shafts are available.

Edited by third-times-a-charm