how long does it take to play in HS golf team?

Having my oldest finish high school and starting all four years, scoring 90 or better would ensure your kids plays in the matches.  But in all honesty, it does depend on the high school.  There are high schools like Langley in McLean or Chantilly that carries an A and B Team, it will be tougher to start in a match.  But high  schools like Herndon and Westfield, they don't have that many good players or are sometimes not able to field 5-6 players in a match.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

13 minutes ago, Goldenhawk said:

Having my oldest finish high school and starting all four years, scoring 90 or better would ensure your kids plays in the matches.  But in all honesty, it does depend on the high school.  There are high schools like Langley in McLean or Chantilly that carries an A and B Team, it will be tougher to start in a match.  But high  schools like Herndon and Westfield, they don't have that many good players or are sometimes not able to field 5-6 players in a match.

Really depends on the years TBH.  Westfields, Herndon, South Lakes, and Yorktown has had a couple descend players each lately.  Langley has been a powerhouse for years  (two years ago had a C team).  Advantage of a coach building a program and keeping it.  Mclean wasn't crap this year.

1 hour ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Curious which high school to break 90?  Location is kinda of central.  If its Madison good luck.

Play Twin Lakes or Laurel Hills if you like the county courses.

A player can shoot 90 and make the team; but, not get a starting spot at some high schools.  A kid can shoot 125+ and start all four years at some schools like Herndon, Westfield, etc.  Madison and McLean comes and goes with the years.  Langley and Chantilly are the power house teams.

I already mentioned that the tryouts takes place at Riverbend CC, that should give folks a hint that he is attending Langley HS.  Langley home course is Riverbend CC while Mclean home course is Hidden Creek CC in Herdon.  Just want him to make the team and hang out with other kids on the team.

He went to play again at Jefferson golf course  this morning and bogey every holes, with a +2 on hole #8.  He is playing this evening at Glendale golf course, assuming no thunderstorm. 

Will report back.

18 minutes ago, Goldenhawk said:

A player can shoot 90 and make the team; but, not get a starting spot at some high schools.  A kid can shoot 125+ and start all four years at some schools like Herndon, Westfield, etc.  Madison and McLean comes and goes with the years.  Langley and Chantilly are the power house teams.

Son is graduating this year.  I am familiar with the liberty district and the region overall.

3 minutes ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

I already mentioned that the tryouts takes place at Riverbend CC, that should give folks a hint that he is attending Langley HS.  Langley home course is Riverbend CC while Mclean home course is Hidden Creek CC in Herdon.  Just want him to make the team and hang out with other kids on the team.

He went to play again at Jefferson golf course  this morning and bogey every holes, with a +2 on hole #8.  He is playing this evening at Glendale golf course, assuming no thunderstorm. 

Will report back.

Luckily they have 3 teams usually.  You don't need to play the course, but Riverbend is private and the greens run fast.  Playing at a play like Jefferson won't help.  Jefferson probably runs around 9-10 while Riverbend back in April (son's match was there) was running about 11-12.

Not alot of time.  I would move him back and play some tournaments this summer.

https://www.bobbybowers.org/register

https://mapga.com/junior-golf/

https://vsga.org/play/junior-events/events-schedule-information/

Playing with mom or Dad isn't the same.

I think it is great that your son is interested and you are supporting his efforts.  I'm not an expert like many of the others on this board, but I definitely agree that your son should play some tournaments before trying out for his HS team.  I recommend vsga ones to get him started - there are a number of 1 day events and I think the competition is slightly easier than mapga (and significantly easier than hurricane, etc).  By way of example, in my son's last tournament at vsga, he played with two other players.  Both said they played on their high school teams.  One scored in the mid-70s and one scored well over 100 (eek!). 

I also agree that some of the public, longer courses would be good places for him to practice.  Laurel Hill and Worthington Manor are good options.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mayhemmomma said:

I think it is great that your son is interested and you are supporting his efforts.  I'm not an expert like many of the others on this board, but I definitely agree that your son should play some tournaments before trying out for his HS team.  I recommend vsga ones to get him started - there are a number of 1 day events and I think the competition is slightly easier than mapga (and significantly easier than hurricane, etc).  By way of example, in my son's last tournament at vsga, he played with two other players.  Both said they played on their high school teams.  One scored in the mid-70s and one scored well over 100 (eek!). 

I also agree that some of the public, longer courses would be good places for him to practice.  Laurel Hill and Worthington Manor are good options.

Thank you everyone for your input.  He is playing at Jefferson golf course this morning and at Falls road golf course in Potomac this afternoon.  My wife found a D1 golfer who just recently finished his college playing career, and he agrees to play golf with my son on most of the long golf course.  How much would you pay for his service?  The golf coach charges 2 hours ($200/hr) on a 9 holes course and that's too much for me.  How much would you pay the D1 golfer to play along with my kids?  Btw, I just found out that there are so many good public long golf course in Montgomery County Maryland which is not far from me.

2 hours ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

Thank you everyone for your input.  He is playing at Jefferson golf course this morning and at Falls road golf course in Potomac this afternoon.  My wife found a D1 golfer who just recently finished his college playing career, and he agrees to play golf with my son on most of the long golf course.  How much would you pay for his service?  The golf coach charges 2 hours ($200/hr) on a 9 holes course and that's too much for me.  How much would you pay the D1 golfer to play along with my kids?  Btw, I just found out that there are so many good public long golf course in Montgomery County Maryland which is not far from me.

I would definitely use the coach in a playing lesson at least once this summer.  For the former college player pay for his round and dinner or lunch.

Yes, some good ones in MC.  Basically anything in Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria is overpriced.  If you dont mind driving some great ones in the Mountains. 

You can sign up for Westfields as well.  Playing adult and a someone 17 and under plays for free after 3pm.  Might work for your D1 player  and son.  Westfield is a great course.  Good measure before something like try outs.

Details:

Westfields Golf Club
13940 Balmoral Greens Avenue
Clifton, Virginia 20124

Phone: 703-631-3300
FAX: 703-648-0999

Course Designers: Fred Couples/Gene Bates
Head Golf Professional: David Finocchiaro

Tees Yardage/Slope
Boom-Boom 6897/136
Blue 6811/132
White 6308/130
Green 6308/130
Red 5229/120

Rates:

Mon-Thurs, $75; Fri-Sun: $95.
Twilight rates (after 3:00 p.m.):$50; Fri-Sun: $55. Replay rates: $39.
All rates include tax, greens fee, cart fee, and practice balls.

https://www.bowlinggreencountryclub.net/

https://shenandoahvalleygolfclub.com/

https://www.blueridgeshadows.com/

http://www.slyfoxgolf.com/

https://www.princewilliamgolf.com/

https://www.golfgauntlet.com/memberships/ 

Again a bit of a drive, but alot of golf and cheaper than our area.  They have a junior membership of $75 play anyday and golf balls.

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

I would definitely use the coach in a playing lesson at least once this summer.  For the former college player pay for his round and dinner or lunch.

Yes, some good ones in MC.  Basically anything in Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria is overpriced.  If you dont mind driving some great ones in the Mountains. 

You can sign up for Westfields as well.  Playing adult and a someone 17 and under plays for free after 3pm.  Might work for your D1 player as well.

Details:

Westfields Golf Club
13940 Balmoral Greens Avenue
Clifton, Virginia 20124

Phone: 703-631-3300
FAX: 703-648-0999

Course Designers: Fred Couples/Gene Bates
Head Golf Professional: David Finocchiaro

Tees Yardage/Slope
Boom-Boom 6897/136
Blue 6811/132
White 6308/130
Green 6308/130
Red 5229/120

Rates:

Mon-Thurs, $75; Fri-Sun: $95.
Twilight rates (after 3:00 p.m.):$50; Fri-Sun: $55. Replay rates: $39.
All rates include tax, greens fee, cart fee, and practice balls.

https://www.bowlinggreencountryclub.net/

https://shenandoahvalleygolfclub.com/

https://www.blueridgeshadows.com/

http://www.slyfoxgolf.com/

https://www.princewilliamgolf.com/

https://www.golfgauntlet.com/memberships/ 

Again a bit of a drive, but alot of golf and cheaper than our area.  They have a junior membership of $75 play anyday and golf balls.

@TripleBogeysrbetter:  Thank you very much for the tip at Westfield.  it is about 35 mins from where we live.  The rest is too far from us.  My boy couldn't play at Glendale yesterday due to a severe thunderstorm in the DMV region.  He is playing there this afternoon.  Will report back.

I just called Westfield and 15 years old and under is free after 3pm, not 17 and under.  Yes, it will work with my son and the recently graduated D1 player.  My wife is a director in IT sale and she said that she will pay the D1 player $100 for playing 18 holes golf with our boy, including the course fee and lunch/dinner.  She said she is going to hire this young man to work at the company she works because he has the charisma to be a great in IT sale.  She also thinks this young man will be a good influence for our boy.

26 minutes ago, Medson said:

Just wanna comment on $200 playing lesson. 

Price seems to be fair. Keep in mind that this is a one-time (or maybe once a year) cost. If possible, have the coach observe him at the regular course, not the short course. The shot selection is very different. 

Just my opinion...  

I don't understand paying per lesson for an instructor.  Paying per lesson doesn't usually give access to the coach.  I also don't understand the payment on charging more for a playing lesson as opposed to just sitting on the range.  You are paying for time and knowledge in either case.

I think it is more beneficial to set up advanced payments in installments of lessons once you know the coach is going to work.  We pay up front every 6 months.  Consists of one meeting at the course per week, one meeting at the gym every other week, texts back when texted, club fittings.  Set up parameters around what you are looking for and make the coach an offer.  Most will tell you if they can or can't do it and come back with a counter offer.  It is a win win for both parties.  Coach gets paid up front and understands the expectations and time commitment.  Player/Parents generally get a better deal than a per lesson arrangement and usually get more access.

• Like 2

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

2 hours ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

@TripleBogeysrbetter:  Thank you very much for the tip at Westfield.  it is about 35 mins from where we live.  The rest is too far from us.  My boy couldn't play at Glendale yesterday due to a severe thunderstorm in the DMV region.  He is playing there this afternoon.  Will report back.

I just called Westfield and 15 years old and under is free after 3pm, not 17 and under.  Yes, it will work with my son and the recently graduated D1 player.  My wife is a director in IT sale and she said that she will pay the D1 player $100 for playing 18 holes golf with our boy, including the course fee and lunch/dinner.  She said she is going to hire this young man to work at the company she works because he has the charisma to be a great in IT sale.  She also thinks this young man will be a good influence for our boy.

LOL - They probably changed for sure then.  Everyone is on to them.  We used to go every Saturday and Sunday.  Book for 3pm and play 18 no problem.  Herndon (public course) I know offers everyone 17 and under free with a paying adult for $25 after 6pm.  Great walking course.  This time of year you can get in 9 holes, plus its where Liberty Districts is held ( 3 out of my son's 4 years).

I would say about the others.  It's about an hour drive.  Trust me it's worth the drive.  We make a day out of it.  There are some VSGA events up there as well this year.  

Edited by TripleBogeysrbetter

I suggest having him play as many rounds as he can to get the score down.  Range work is good for lessons, but ultimately he needs to score on the course to reach the goal of breaking 90.  I tried 3 years in a row to make my HS golf team and didn't make it till my senior year.  Don't let him get discouraged if he doesn't make it, encourage him to keep putting in the work and the results will come.  

Edited by bvmagic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

Contact the golf academy at 1757 golf course.  They offer an high school golfer camp and a camp for juniors that play in competitions this summer.  They will play 1757 and the course is not a bomb it type course and they will learn to think around the golf course.  

• Like 1

If cost is an issue, you should also check out the Youth on Course membership, which provides for a number of courses in MD and VA for $5 a round

https://msga.org/youth-on-course/

https://vsga.org/youthoncourse/

Most of the VA courses are not in northern virginia (at least not yet), but there are several good MD courses which participate and are nearby.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, jrgolfer2021 said:

School will end in two weeks and my son will play 18 holes everyday. Without coaching, how can you improve?  It is like taking Thermodynamic class without college  professor.

Playing the game is more important than constant coaching. Golf is a game that requires actual play to get better. The more you play the better you can get.

There are players who have won on the PGA Tour having never had a lesson.  But all of them played a lot of golf.  🙂

• Like 2

Updated:

- He played Glendale on Saturday mornig and did better than I expected.  He scored par on 4 holes and bogey the other five holes.

- He played at Falls road golf course in Potomac on Saturday afternoon and did bad.  bogey just about every holes.

- He played at Raspberry golf course in Leesburg and did ok on the 18 holes.  Par 9 holes and bogey 9 holes,

- He played at Penderbrook golf course in Fairfax this morning and did bad.  He was hitting the fairway on all 18 holes but the chipping and putting were so bad,

I am going to have him play on the actual golf courses twice a day for the next 60 days.  Golf tryouts begin July 29th, that's what I've been told.

1 hour ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

Updated:

- He played Glendale on Saturday mornig and did better than I expected.  He scored par on 4 holes and bogey the other five holes.

- He played at Falls road golf course in Potomac on Saturday afternoon and did bad.  bogey just about every holes.

- He played at Raspberry golf course in Leesburg and did ok on the 18 holes.  Par 9 holes and bogey 9 holes,

- He played at Penderbrook golf course in Fairfax this morning and did bad.  He was hitting the fairway on all 18 holes but the chipping and putting were so bad,

I am going to have him play on the actual golf courses twice a day for the next 60 days.  Golf tryouts begin July 29th, that's what I've been told.

He needs to play in Junior Tournaments in your area.

My kid was paired in a tournament this weekend with a young man that I felt bad for.  He told my son he plays the course they were playing all the time and shot in the 80's.  The poor boy didn't drive the ball over 200 yards and was 17.  He was +49 the first day, +37 second, and +52 last.  Playing tournament golf from longer yardages is much different than going out and playing alone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

Updated:

Is he warming up before a round? " He played at Penderbrook golf course in Fairfax this morning and did bad.  He was hitting the fairway on all 18 holes but the chipping and putting were so bad,"  Penderbrook is trash. Let the 50-60 men play out there.  Its not worth the money or time.  Plus there is no range.

IMHO - This is a bad idea. "I am going to have him play on the actual golf courses twice a day for the next 60 days."  Unless he wants to play this much.  Still just getting to tryouts and then he needs to play in a season.

To @heavy_hitterpoint.  He needs to play in tournament this summer. 

https://mapgajr.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/mapgajr21/schedule/spring2021/index.htm

https://bjgt.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/bjgt21/schedule/index.htm?nocache=Y

Playing solo or even with people you know isn't the same as tournament golf.  My son just graduated and says this his is greatest regret about the summer before high school.  I pushed and pushed to get him to play tournament golf.  Told me a couple of years later that it was a shock to the system.  The first time on the tee box with other people trying out.  The first match with other students.  The first tournament. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

Is he warming up before a round? " He played at Penderbrook golf course in Fairfax this morning and did bad.  He was hitting the fairway on all 18 holes but the chipping and putting were so bad,"  Penderbrook is trash. Let the 50-60 men play out there.  Its not worth the money or time.  Plus there is no range.

IMHO - This is a bad idea. "I am going to have him play on the actual golf courses twice a day for the next 60 days."  Unless he wants to play this much.  Still just getting to tryouts and then he needs to play in a season.

To @heavy_hitterpoint.  He needs to play in tournament this summer. 

https://mapgajr.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/mapgajr21/schedule/spring2021/index.htm

https://bjgt.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/bjgt21/schedule/index.htm?nocache=Y

Playing solo or even with people you know isn't the same as tournament golf.  My son just graduated and says this his is greatest regret about the summer before high school.  I pushed and pushed to get him to play tournament golf.  Told me a couple of years later that it was a shock to the system.  The first time on the tee box with other people trying out.  The first match with other students.  The first tournament. 

He just got back from Raspberry fall today and scored +126. Basically triple bogey every hole.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jrgolfer2021 said:

He just got back from Raspberry fall today and scored +126. Basically triple bogey every hole.

Going to ask you three questions.

1.  How old is he?

2.  How far does he drive the ball?

3.  Which set of tees did he play?

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

This has gotten to the point where it has to be fake or someone just trolling!?!?

I mean I've been playing golf for 20 years, and I've played with everyone from PGA Tour winners to people who shot close to 150.

However, during that time I've never once encountered someone who would go from shooting -5 (as the OP said occurred on 5/25) to +54 a week later (as the OP said occurred today).....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2