Mizuno T22 wedges preview

QuigleyDU

I called golf gAlaxy and they called mizuno.  I got an email the next day and he switched the grips. I told him when I called that you can switch the grips when I initially called. 
good luck

G430 Max 9 Degrees Accra FX 3.0

G430 LST 3 Wood Ventus Red 6S

Cobra TEC 3 and 4 Hybrid MitsubishiMMT Stiff

JPX Forged 5-G Steelfiber 95R

Callaway Jaws 54m and 58z

Mizuno OMOI #5

5 hours ago, smurn90 said:

What have the lead times for custom T22's here in the states been that you all have experienced recently? Put in my order on 1/5. 50 degree with PX LZ through Golf Galaxy.

DD quoted 3-4 weeks and mine will be here tomorrow. 4 weeks from when I ordered.   

Edited by scottaz

I have owned the T22’s for close to a month now and have played 5-6 rounds with them and hit into a net off mats at my house a couple days a week over that time. They are easily my favorite wedges I’ve ever owned, so soft, great spin, what I’d expect in terms of distance. I ordered all 4 wedges in denim copper, if you are concerned about the appearance of the wedges over time, do not get the denim copper. Within two weeks the darker denim on the soles wore off to show a shiny copper layer, then the shiny copper layer wore off within the next 2 weeks. The face has not worn well either, hard to explain, the denim layer is not coming off at all but they constantly look dirty, even after cleaning with water and brush. Slight green tones coming in like they are patina-ing???  Again, I love them and I’m sure they will be in the bag for a long time. Just a heads up, if you care about the appearance over time I’d get the chrome finish as these will likely wear better but still have the benefit of the copper feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, acro said:

I have owned the T22’s for close to a month now and have played 5-6 rounds with them and hit into a net off mats at my house a couple days a week over that time. They are easily my favorite wedges I’ve ever owned, so soft, great spin, what I’d expect in terms of distance. I ordered all 4 wedges in denim copper, if you are concerned about the appearance of the wedges over time, do not get the denim copper. Within two weeks the darker denim on the soles wore off to show a shiny copper layer, then the shiny copper layer wore off within the next 2 weeks. The face has not worn well either, hard to explain, the denim layer is not coming off at all but they constantly look dirty, even after cleaning with water and brush. Slight green tones coming in like they are patina-ing???  Again, I love them and I’m sure they will be in the bag for a long time. Just a heads up, if you care about the appearance over time I’d get the chrome finish as these will likely wear better but still have the benefit of the copper feel.

can you share some pics? 

2 hours ago, slord said:

can you share some pics? 

PW, G, S, Lob wedge (left to right) more wear the lower you go. I take back to patina comment, it was dirt/grass. That being said, you could actually see the finish coming off as I was cleaning them with a brush. Again, between playing and practicing off mats, I’m using them 4-5 days a week for 5-6 weeks. That said, the finish is wearing faster than any wedge I’ve played. I love the T22’s, truly awesome wedges. I don’t really care about appearance but still wish I had gotten the chrome (with the copper underlay). 

427FE1EA-6BDC-4B75-A657-52DB8E1B840B.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, acro said:

yea I noticed after the first 3/4 rounds the soles started getting lighter in color which wasn't a big deal as it began looking like the face. but after a few more rounds and some more bunker shots the copper totally wore off the soles and the wedge had 3 distinct colors, denim aged on the badging side, light copper on the face and worn down looking rust on the soles. this is from about 9-10 rounds of golf. I'm all for tools over jewels but I think Mizuno messed up on this new copper finish. glad I gave copper a shot as it's the best looking of the 3 finishes brand new. but the same reason I got copper is the same reason it's gone.

Ugh. Ya’ll are making me want to switch back to the chrome. I just wish they were more satin-looking and wouldn’t have so much glare. Any chance of stripping the copper finish off of these over time and basically just playing them like a raw wedge?

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

15 minutes ago, acro said:

PW, G, S, Lob wedge (left to right) more wear the lower you go. I take back to patina comment, it was dirt/grass. That being said, you could actually see the finish coming off as I was cleaning them with a brush. Again, between playing and practicing off mats, I’m using them 4-5 days a week for 5-6 weeks. That said, the finish is wearing faster than any wedge I’ve played. I love the T22’s, truly awesome wedges. I don’t really care about appearance but still wish I had gotten the chrome (with the copper underlay). 

Can you share pics of the faces? I can get over the soles wearing if the faces aren’t quite as bad.

• Like 1

TM 300 Mini 11.5 AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 3HL AD-DI 7X

TM Sim2 Max 7-Wood AD-DI 8X

Ping i230 5-UW LAGP L-Series 120S

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12

Vokey SM8 58-10S

Vokey SM8 62-08M

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4/TM Spider X Hydroblast

3 hours ago, ktyler2 said:

Can you share pics of the faces? I can get over the soles wearing if the faces aren’t quite as bad.

3 hours ago, acro said:

Thanks for sharing. +1 for face wear pics. 

• Like 1

Can someone post a picture of address of a 60 degree t22. Trying to see how different the topline is from T20

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

13 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

Can someone post a picture of address of a 60 degree t22. Trying to see how different the topline is from T20

Bump

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

Anyone have raw headweights for the 50, 54, 58 or even just one of the wedges? Trying to see how different the headweights are vs a standard cleveland head weight. Usually around 300g for the Cleveland

Edited by ewaldbeukes
Update

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

On 1/16/2022 at 6:22 PM, ktyler2 said:

Ugh. Ya’ll are making me want to switch back to the chrome. I just wish they were more satin-looking and wouldn’t have so much glare. Any chance of stripping the copper finish off of these over time and basically just playing them like a raw wedge?

Me personally think that the patina finish will look good over time. I had the blue T20 wedge and that had the same wear to it I would assume and it looked cool IMO. Excited to get these T22 wedges in hand though for sure

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NZ315 said:

Me personally think that the patina finish will look good over time. I had the blue T20 wedge and that had the same wear to it I would assume and it looked cool IMO. Excited to get these T22 wedges in hand though for sure

...except that (after circa 8 weeks of use) it's less of a patina effect and more of the copper layer appearing to wear off.

One question I haven't seen an answer to here or elsewhere online. Are the swing weights the same as the T20? They didn't have a T22 demo at my shop, but I was able to try a T20 and really liked the weight and balance of the wedge. Can anyone give feedback on how the two compare in terms of weight?

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 2:00 PM, NZ315 said:

Aren't they raw, so won't the underlay start to patina and rust or am I mistaken?

Edited by Flip4000

27 minutes ago, Flip4000 said:

Aren't they raw, so won't the underlay start to patina and rust or am I mistaken?

I never had a patina look with the Blue Ion. It did wear on the sole and face but it didn’t really patina. The west spots just became chrome.

I actually just changed my order to the Satin Chrome finish for the T22

Edited by NZ315

39 minutes ago, heathpitts said:

I bought some of both. 46 and 50 are the chrome finish since I consider them a continuation of my MP20s and the 54 and 58 are copper since I want wedges that get ugly lol. 

I went with the chrome since I didn’t want any ugly clubs in the bag. I am kind of a clean freak and like things that shine.lol but I respect the ugly wedge for sure!

Yeah it all comes down to personal preference I guess. I had an old Cleveland sand wedge 25 years ago that could burn your retina with the reflection off of it. I decided after that I needed a dull finish wedge in the higher lofts. Even after the satin finishes that are prevalent now I can’t get past it. I could totally regret this decision. That’s why we have the BST lol

How soft will the raw be vs copper for those that have hit both? And did anyone ever figure out which ones to order to get raw from Golf Galaxy?

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

Finally got the 58 X grind on the course today after I picked it up yesterday. Absolutely no issues with digging with my chip/pitch motion. Was able to flop it off dormant and scalped Bermuda and even on a downslope it spins enough to keep roll out to a minimum. These wedges are just amazing honestly.  First wedges that I’ve owned where they feel like a weapon while I’m on the course. 

Cheers to the money I’ve poured into wedges over the years lol🍻!

On 1/17/2022 at 10:10 AM, acro said:

do you have any pics of the faces? is the finish wearing badly there?

On 1/30/2022 at 6:53 PM, heathpitts said:

Finally got the 58 X grind on the course today after I picked it up yesterday. Absolutely no issues with digging with my chip/pitch motion. Was able to flop it off dormant and scalped Bermuda and even on a downslope it spins enough to keep roll out to a minimum. These wedges are just amazing honestly.  First wedges that I’ve owned where they feel like a weapon while I’m on the course. 

Cheers to the money I’ve poured into wedges over the years lol🍻!

That's good to hear as I have a 61 x grind on the way.  I ordered a 56 D (10 bounce) too and I am still not sure if I should stick with that or go S grind (14 bounce) since I normally play 12 bounce in Vokey.

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

20 minutes ago, Sankacoffee said:

That's good to hear as I have a 61 x grind on the way.  I ordered a 56 D (10 bounce) too and I am still not sure if I should stick with that or go S grind (14 bounce) since I normally play 12 bounce in Vokey.

Mizuno originally sent the wrong 54 S head for my 54 D and my golf shop didn’t notice. I never played it on the course before they swapped the head out but the bounce was wild! It had way more bounce than a 15 degree hi toe wedge I have. I’ve since used the 54D and the bounce is perfect. Even damp areas I had zero problems with digging in on chips. Which is yet another fault in my game 🙂 8 bounce in the 54 seems to play higher than I’d expect. S would be great as a sand wedge if you play on courses with fluffy sand. We have few courses around here that I would consider having fluffy sand so I can use either the D or X grinds. 

Edited by heathpitts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, acro said:

Damn, I just got fitted into the MP-225 tonight, and was looking at the T22 wedges, which I really liked in the copper. May have to reconsider that finish.  I like the Black Nickel finish of my old MP-T wedges.  Wish they still had something like that.  Anyone playing the T22 with Recoils?  I was fitted for the Recoil 95 Reg iron shaft, but they did not have any T22's with graphite. 

I have time to explore wedges tomorrow during my second day of fitting. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX

49 minutes ago, wolverine_man said:

Damn, I just got fitted into the MP-225 tonight, and was looking at the T22 wedges, which I really liked in the copper. May have to reconsider that finish.  I like the Black Nickel finish of my old MP-T wedges.  Wish they still had something like that.  Anyone playing the T22 with Recoils?  I was fitted for the Recoil 95 Reg iron shaft, but they did not have any T22's with graphite. 

I have time to explore wedges tomorrow during my second day of fitting. 

This is the deal - yes, they do wear, especially on the sole, naturally. But they have 3% Boron, which means the grooves stay with you longer. And underneath the copper, you have a raw wedge. In Mizuno, that's okay due to the boron and you still have some copper to keep it soft.  And the grooves have more consistent spin in the wet. I have the coppers - I keep the face clean and the grooves clear

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

@SwingMan thanks for the feedback.  I assume the raw exposure on the soles, would just get a rust color and be not too far off form the look of the copper finish?  

I am looking at these or the Bettinardi HLX 3.0 in Black Smoke.  I'd have the same question about the durability of finish in those too, which I asked about in a separate thread. 

Rogue ST Max 9* (IZ-6 SR)

TSi2 @ 16.5* (Ventus Red 6R, -2g)

TSi2 @ 21* (Motore X F3 7S, -2g, tip'd .5")

818 H1 @ 24* (Diamana S+ 82S, tip'd 1.5")

Pro 223 5-GW (Modus3 115 - S) 

RTX6 54/10, RTX6 58/6 (Modus 115 Wedge - S, 1* flat) 

Eleven Tour Lined - '24 BX