Mizuno T22 wedges preview

QuigleyDU

I haven’t had mine tested for swingweight. I did order with nippon modus wedge 115s to fit with the 120s in my irons and I can definitely feel where the head is in the swing. So to me they feel heavy'ish. Regardless I’ve never been happier or better with any wedges that I’ve played. Even had comments on how much better my wedge game is lately. Might need to buy backups haha

Edited by heathpitts
  • Like 1

I bagged the T20s for 2 years and was extremely happy with them. I didn’t think I needed an upgrade.  Well, I found a used 60 x grind t22 at golf galaxy.  It was barely used so for $100 I gave it a shot.  My goodness, this is better than the t20.  The x grind with extra toe and heel relief is the ultimate lob wedge.  Now I’m itching to replace my other wedges. 

• Like 2

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

Anyone notice these are all the same length at 35.25” in every loft? Seems odd you’d want your 60 degree the same length as your 52. I looked at SM9’s are 35.5” in gap wedges, 35.25” in sand wedges, and 35.0” in lob wedges. 

Edited by Lloyd_Christmas29

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

12 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

Anyone notice these are all the same length at 35.25” in every loft? Seems odd you’d want your 60 degree the same length as your 52. I looked at SM9’s are 35.5” in gap wedges, 35.25” in sand wedges, and 35.0” in lob wedges. 

This is where everyone is different, seems odd to me that you would want your wedges different lengths.  I play PW, GW, SW, LW all the same length so wedges that I don't have to port makes me super happy.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

3 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

This is where everyone is different, seems odd to me that you would want your wedges different lengths.  I play PW, GW, SW, LW all the same length so wedges that I don't have to port makes me super happy.

I do the same now as well. Works a lot better for me this way and I did this after the recommendation of my local golf store. I use the +4 grips so I can choke down when necessary. Likely led to some of my better wedge results lately.

13 minutes ago, heathpitts said:

I do the same now as well. Works a lot better for me this way and I did this after the recommendation of my local golf store. I use the +4 grips so I can choke down when necessary. Likely led to some of my better wedge results lately.

Well I guess I’ll find out if I like it! This is my first time trying a non Vokey wedge so I’ve never used wedges all the same length.

• Like 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

Great wedges, but the font used for the degree of the club isn't particularly distinct from each other.   Selecting the right wedge(s) from the bag takes some sorting.  It's hard to tell the 50 from the 60 for instance or the 46 from the 56.  I had mine built at Hotstixx and they said they couldn't stamp the sole with P, G, S, and L for some reason.   Perhaps next offseason I can find someone to do that.

So I got a used (demo in great shape) Vokey SM8 56* D grind about a month ago.  Didn't want to wait on SM9s and I wasn't able t find the T22 66* D grind local.  

I've been using the Vokey almost daily in either practice or play and it just feels "harsh" and clicky compared to when I chip, pitch, chip & run with my set Mizuno 8-GW which feel soft and responsive.  Not sure if that's just how Vokey's are or if I'm not hitting the sweet spot.

Long way of saying I think I'll be trying out a T22 by the end of this summer to see how it feels.  I'm guessing since it's a forged Mizuno it will have that softer Mizuno iron feel?

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 5.5

4W - Callaway Mavrik 16.5* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

7W - Callaway Mavrik 21* - Project X EvenFlow Riptide 60 5.5

4-GW - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged - TT Dynamic Gold R300

SW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 54Mid10 - TT Dynamic Spinner

GW - Cleveland RTX ZipCore - 58Full12 - TT Dynamic Spinner

Putter - Odyssey White Hot 6

Ball - Vice Pro or Wilson Staff Zip

The satin and the denim copper in the T22 have the copper layer that makes them feel extra soft. Raw does not but all are forged so to me they feel better than any of my previous Vokey wedges. Vokey still has Mizuno beat in total number of grinds though if that matters. I’m convinced that I just wasn’t hitting the sweet spot until I got these T22s though 🙂

Edited by heathpitts

3 hours ago, againstthegrain said:

Great wedges, but the font used for the degree of the club isn't particularly distinct from each other.   Selecting the right wedge(s) from the bag takes some sorting.  It's hard to tell the 50 from the 60 for instance or the 46 from the 56.  I had mine built at Hotstixx and they said they couldn't stamp the sole with P, G, S, and L for some reason.   Perhaps next offseason I can find someone to do that.

I get this. They’re very similar and I wish they’d do away with the cheap looking badges, but they’re great wedges if the grinds work for you. I installed a different color Bbf&Co ferrule to be able to tell my 3 apart easier 😉

On 5/6/2022 at 7:53 PM, rollen said:

Saw a earlier post asking about swingweight, but didn’t see any replies.  I have a 60 X grind in copper with an S-400 shaft. The swingweight is very light around D0. Anyone else seeing similar swingweights?

I have a 58 X Grind that came with the stock TT DG TI S400 that plays at 35.25" + but cap to just under 35.5" which I assume the measurement off of their site is to the end of the steel.  The 58* swing weight is D5 on my scale which is pretty standard from my experience.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

11 hours ago, golffeen007 said:

I get this. They’re very similar and I wish they’d do away with the cheap looking badges, but they’re great wedges if the grinds work for you. I installed a different color Bbf&Co ferrule to be able to tell my 3 apart easier 😉

I should have used a different color paintfill on my initials which I have stamped or added some other distinguishing mark on my set, but your idea is probably better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, againstthegrain said:

I should have used a different color paintfill on my initials which I have stamped or added some other distinguishing mark on my set, but your idea is probably better.

I wasn't really thinking about how similar they look and now it bothers me, thanks lol.  I may put some different paint fill in the badge now or stamp a 3 dot system in the toe

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

23 hours ago, againstthegrain said:

Maybe just paint fill the numbers on the sole a different color like mentioned above? That way, no need to look at numbers just go by color code. I have my three wedges in different finishes so it's easy to recognize. 

Edited by Tenkies

3 hours ago, Tenkies said:

Maybe just paint fill the numbers on the sole a different color like mentioned above? That way, no need to look at numbers just go by color code. I have my three wedges in different finishes so it's easy to recognize. 

As mentioned , the T22’s don’t have numbers on the soles and that there in lies the issue being discussed. 

15 hours ago, golffeen007 said:

As mentioned , the T22’s don’t have numbers on the soles and that there in lies the issue being discussed. 

Totally forgot. I still use a T-4 wedge 60* has numbers and bounces on the sole. But I do have a T20 and T22 in different finishes to help differentiate the clubs easier(totally forgot there are no lofts on the sole since I just go off of finish). If that's not for you, maybe just paint fill the Mizuno logo a different color on the back of each club? It would be subtitle but easy to recognize.  

• 1 month later...

So I’m in the boat for getting new wedges and we’re down to these and the SM9’s. Coming from hi toe raw wedges so definitely a plus for the denim copper, but where I’m a little lost is the grinds. Titleist gives you the selector tool which is super easy to determine, came in with the 54.12D and 60.14K. My current wedges are 54.10 and 60.10, I come in pretty steep and the local courses are all firmer to softer Bermuda with powdery bunkers. I also like to open the face on my 54. Based on all this would the 54.12S and 60.10C be my best choices? Thanks for the help in advance. 

On 6/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, Djuga06 said:

So I’m in the boat for getting new wedges and we’re down to these and the SM9’s. Coming from hi toe raw wedges so definitely a plus for the denim copper, but where I’m a little lost is the grinds. Titleist gives you the selector tool which is super easy to determine, came in with the 54.12D and 60.14K. My current wedges are 54.10 and 60.10, I come in pretty steep and the local courses are all firmer to softer Bermuda with powdery bunkers. I also like to open the face on my 54. Based on all this would the 54.12S and 60.10C be my best choices? Thanks for the help in advance. 

Overall I think those are pretty good choices.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

Still enjoying mine.  Have prob 30 rounds on them now and a few hundred hours of practice.  Spin with the s400 is solid, one hop and stop from full and 3/4 swings and can still hit low nippers around the green. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

• 3 weeks later...

How do folks feel about the “forgiveness” of these v. Zipcore’s or others?

I’ve received mixed comments on this from fitters and others.

Edited by gator022

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

On 6/23/2022 at 6:08 PM, Phabs said:

Still enjoying mine.  Have prob 30 rounds on them now and a few hundred hours of practice.  Spin with the s400 is solid, one hop and stop from full and 3/4 swings and can still hit low nippers around the green. 

I’ve received mixed comments on this from fitters and others.

I play 3 T22’s and had a set of the Raw T Zipcores. I much prefer the Mizuno for me.  I play a lot of fiddly shots around the green and felt the v grind had me feeling limited in what could do. They felt like they’d get kind of “grabbie” in the grass. If it was a more straight forward shot from the fairway or even through rough , the Zipcores worked for me being more of a digger. 

1 hour ago, gator022 said:

I’ve received mixed comments on this from fitters and others.

They’re as forgiving as every other bladed wedge.  I also don’t expect a whole lot of “forgiveness” from a wedge that you should middle more often than not. 

Edited by Phabs

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I've found that the wedges will give you what you put in. A bad swing or a poor strike will be punished... as it should be. Forgiveness is not really something I look for in a wedge, since if you're hitting a wedge in the first place you are trying to hit a specific distance. What I specifically do not want is a "jumper", and I can say that I've never once had a jumper on any of my T22s. Fliers, yes, but that's not the wedge's fault. 

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

15 hours ago, picardyThird said:

I've found that the wedges will give you what you put in. A bad swing or a poor strike will be punished... as it should be. Forgiveness is not really something I look for in a wedge, since if you're hitting a wedge in the first place you are trying to hit a specific distance. What I specifically do not want is a "jumper", and I can say that I've never once had a jumper on any of my T22s. Fliers, yes, but that's not the wedge's fault. 

Me either really.  I have a set of T22's and was looking for something around 48* to replace the set gap wedge as the combo of the shaft and head combo tends to give me a ballooning shot on my Ping G410's.  A fitter suggested to me that the T22's weren't forgiving and I should consider something more forgiving like the RTX Zipcore's as he felt the CBX Zipcore's would balloon too.

Long story short, I'm not sure I believe it.  I do however need a 48* wedge and don't like the idea of a 6-8* bounce 48/49* gap wedge so I was thinking soemthing like a Vokey or Zipcore could fit that spot.

9 minutes ago, gator022 said:

Me either really.  I have a set of T22's and was looking for something around 48* to replace the set gap wedge as the combo of the shaft and head combo tends to give me a ballooning shot on my Ping G410's.  A fitter suggested to me that the T22's weren't forgiving and I should consider something more forgiving like the RTX Zipcore's as he felt the CBX Zipcore's would balloon too.

Long story short, I'm not sure I believe it.  I do however need a 48* wedge and don't like the idea of a 6-8* bounce 48/49* gap wedge so I was thinking soemthing like a Vokey or Zipcore could fit that spot.

Are you adding loft at impact? Some often relate ballooning to actual added loft at impact , which could increase launch and spin, to which no club/shaft would magically change without work.  
Although the center of gravity might be different between bladed wedges , you’ve still got to make solid contact.