Mizuno T22 wedges preview

QuigleyDU

14 minutes ago, golffeen007 said:

Are you adding loft at impact? Some often relate ballooning to actual added loft at impact , which could increase launch and spin, to which no club/shaft would magically change without work.  
Although the center of gravity might be different between bladed wedges , you’ve still got to make solid contact. 

I don’t think I am adding loft at impact. Is it even possible to add loft, take a divot, and not hit a shot fat doing that?

Higher COG would be there on the set wedge right? Would that make it balloon?

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

23 hours ago, gator022 said:

How do folks feel about the “forgiveness” of these v. Zipcore’s or others?

I’ve received mixed comments on this from fitters and others.

I have a new 51 degree T22 and a new Zipcore 56 degree SW.  Both are comparable in forgiveness.  The T22 has a Modus 8 iron x stiff as an experiment and I absolutely love it.  The Zipcore has the standard spinner shaft.  I do like the compact look of the T22, and the feel and spin of both.  I don't think you can go wrong.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

I just bought 2 new T22s, 56D and 60X, both stock 35.25in with DG TI S400. I notice the step patterns on the 2 shafts don't match. The steps on the lob wedge is about 1/4in closer to the tip/head. I thought they're supposed to use the same DG TI 37in wedge shaft, which would produce the same step patterns on the 2 clubs.

Does anyone know if this is a quality issue or if Mizuno does some kind of tip trimming on the lob wedge? Anyone has T22s with DG TI can compare the length from hosel to first step?

15 hours ago, offcenterhitter said:

I just bought 2 new T22s, 56D and 60X, both stock 35.25in with DG TI S400. I notice the step patterns on the 2 shafts don't match. The steps on the lob wedge is about 1/4in closer to the tip/head. I thought they're supposed to use the same DG TI 37in wedge shaft, which would produce the same step patterns on the 2 clubs.

Does anyone know if this is a quality issue or if Mizuno does some kind of tip trimming on the lob wedge? Anyone has T22s with DG TI can compare the length from hosel to first step?

I’ll check my wedges when I get home but I think the bore depth is deeper on my 58 vs my 53. I installed modus 125 wedge shafts in them and know they are properly seated. 

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

2 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

I’ll check my wedges when I get home but I think the bore depth is deeper on my 58 vs my 53. I installed modus 125 wedge shafts in them and know they are properly seated. 

Thanks. I didn't know that, but it's interesting that they have different hosel depth between the heads.

I like my 58-D lob wedge, but I don't love it.  Performance is superb on full and 3/4 shots, divots and soft feel are the best I've ever experienced in a lob wedge.  The relatively straight leading edge probably helps here.

But around the green I don't have as much confidence as I'd like.  Coming from full face lobbers before this (CBX full face & PM original), I think I miss the larger faces that really inspire confidence from nasty lies, bunkers, and open face flops.  It works fine out of bunkers, I just don't get too creative and stick to a more stock sand technique.  I don't generally chip with the 58* so I'm using it mostly for longer pitch type swings. 

I just bought a used Mizuno ES21 wide and I'm going to take it for a spin, aside from the weird black finish, the face size/shape look great to me.  

No question here, just my .02 based on extended experience with the 58-D model.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9* / Ventus TR 5-S
Callaway Rogue 14* / Tour Blue 75-S

Callaway Rogue SZ 18* / Thump 75f-S

PXG Gen2 22* / Fuji Pro 73-S
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-P / Modus 120-S 
PXG Sugar Daddy II 53*/58*

Odyssey Versa 1W

2 hours ago, Boognish said:

I like my 58-D lob wedge, but I don't love it.  Performance is superb on full and 3/4 shots, divots and soft feel are the best I've ever experienced in a lob wedge.  The relatively straight leading edge probably helps here.

But around the green I don't have as much confidence as I'd like.  Coming from full face lobbers before this (CBX full face & PM original), I think I miss the larger faces that really inspire confidence from nasty lies, bunkers, and open face flops.  It works fine out of bunkers, I just don't get too creative and stick to a more stock sand technique.  I don't generally chip with the 58* so I'm using it mostly for longer pitch type swings. 

I just bought a used Mizuno ES21 wide and I'm going to take it for a spin, aside from the weird black finish, the face size/shape look great to me.  

The D grind isn't really meant for around the green, it's more for the 75%-to-full shots from mid-range (which you have said that you love the feel for... this makes sense!). The short game shots (bunkers, open flops) need more versatile grinds, like the C or X grind. Right now I have a 58C, and I'm very happy with it, but when it wears out I'm thinking of replacing it with a 58X for more greenside versatility. My 54D on the other hand is excellent for mid-range approach shots from 75-100 yards, but I wouldn't want to use it around the green.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

12 minutes ago, picardyThird said:

The D grind isn't really meant for around the green, it's more for the 75%-to-full shots from mid-range (which you have said that you love the feel for... this makes sense!). The short game shots (bunkers, open flops) need more versatile grinds, like the C or X grind. Right now I have a 58C, and I'm very happy with it, but when it wears out I'm thinking of replacing it with a 58X for more greenside versatility. My 54D on the other hand is excellent for mid-range approach shots from 75-100 yards, but I wouldn't want to use it around the green.

I've always found the grind discussions quite confusing, especially since different letters are used by different manufacturers.  In the store it was quite tough for me to tell much difference visually between the Mizuno options.  I think Mizuno actually recommended the D grind to me as an all around type for greenside use when I asked, but maybe that was bad advice. 

I remember the C-grind was not available at the time I ordered.  Might be interesting to try/compare a C-grind model on course if I ever come across one in the wild.

Odyssey Versa 1W

3 hours ago, picardyThird said:

6 hours ago, Boognish said:

D grind is great on fuller shots.  Honestly, I probably would have never taken full shots with it without that grind.  Lower bounce wedges with full shots are really or should be a no go for me.

Edited by gator022

3 hours ago, gator022 said:

I'd echo this sort of.  I'm using the D grind around the green some, but it's much harder to open up like you can these lower grind wedges like the C and X with Mizuno, Vokey M & L/T, Callaway C, or the Cleveland low grinds.

D grind is great on fuller shots.  Honestly, I probably would have never taken full shots with it without that grind.  Lower bounce wedges with full shots are really or should be a no go for me.

I’m going to recant what I said about this not working around the greens. I spent some time practicing tonight and it absolutely works around the green. Great on square chip shots. Can you open it up to 80 degrees off a tight lie? Probably not. You can open it up into the 60+ range and hit high soft flops or chips off tight lies.

To say a D grind Mizuno or Vokey isn’t made for around the greens is sort of a silly comment. It’s a wedge. It’s made for around the greens! But if you can hold the face angle on chips and all you can totally play this grind around the green and hit all sorts of soft high open faced shots.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gator022 said:

I’m going to recant what I said about this not working around the greens. I spent some time practicing tonight and it absolutely works around the green. Great on square chip shots. Can you open it up to 80 degrees off a tight lie? Probably not. You can open it up into the 60+ range and hit high soft flops or chips off tight lies.

To say a D grind Mizuno or Vokey isn’t made for around the greens is sort of a silly comment. It’s a wedge. It’s made for around the greens! But if you can hold the face angle on chips and all you can totally play this grind around the green and hit all sorts of soft high open faced shots.

Agreed, D-grind works well for standard technique with square and slightly open pitches.  It enforces discipline on my technique, which probably isn't a bad think for my scoring average. 

If you're used to indulging the temptation to open up and pick it from the sand or short grass, that's a tricky proposition to get that baby divot that doesn't bounce. 

• Like 1

Odyssey Versa 1W

6 hours ago, Boognish said:

Agreed, D-grind works well for standard technique with square and slightly open pitches.  It enforces discipline on my technique, which probably isn't a bad think for my scoring average. 

If you're used to indulging the temptation to open up and pick it from the sand or short grass, that's a tricky proposition to get that baby divot that doesn't bounce. 

Great to hear! It’s honestly more versatile than a lower grind wedge because you can use it for fuller shots. Doesn’t have to be manipulated as much but can be if needed. The D grind definitely isn’t going to be that of a low bounce lob where you open it up like a pancake. You can open it pretty darn far though with the heel relief. I remember @RyanBarathWRX got something like this and then ground the wedge down a little more to his liking.

I picked up a 54 and 58° in the D grind, my first new wedges in years.

I have about 5 rounds on them so far plus practice time. So far I like them but don't love them.

I'll probably get slaughtered for this comment but they don't actually feel as good as I was expecting and nowhere near as good as my Srixon 745 gap wedge.

Spin is decent and I do find the D grind versatile enough for my needs. However I find I'm also lacking distance on full shots with the 54° which doesn't seem to go as far as it should. I don't have this issue with any other club in my bag (I never hit full shots with the 58°).

There's always a transition period with new clubs, so I'm going to stick with them...for now.

Edited by MMB1500

9 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

I picked up a 54 and 58° in the D grind, my first new wedges in years.

I have about 5 rounds on them so far plus practice time. So far, I like them but don't love them.

I'll probably get slaughtered for this comment but they don't actually feel as good as I was expecting and not nowhere near as good as my Srixon 745 gap wedge.

Spin is decent and I do find the D grind versatile enough for my needs. However I find I'm also lacking distance on full shots with the 54° which doesn't seem to go as far as it should. I don't have this issue with any other club in my bag (I never hit full shots with the 58°).

There's always a transition period with new clubs, so I'm going to stick with them...for now.

Maybe have the loft and lies checked? Mine brand new we’re almost 3 degrees upright. I couldn’t shank them and make the ball go right haha! Loft could but a little higher than it should be on 54*. I know when I had my guy check mine he said it was the softest and easiest wedge to bend he’s ever touched.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 5:09 PM, offcenterhitter said:

@jetmech879 have you had a chance to check?

Anyone else?

12 minutes ago, offcenterhitter said:

Anyone else?

I did not measure but laid them next to each other on a counter and they looked about the same.

• Like 1

Now that I've gotten used to the higher bounces compared to my RTX 4s I'm really loving mine. Great feel, flight, and stopping power. I love my T grind way too much though so my 60X is on the sidelines unless I'm playing a super soft track.

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

7 hours ago, offcenterhitter said:

Anyone else?

Sorry buddy! I spaced on it yesterday. Just checked and they are exactly the same. All 3 of my wedges, 48, 53, and 58 the shaft steps line up perfectly so the bore depths are the same. I was mistaken with my SM8 wedges. Sounds like a mizuno didn’t get the shaft in all the way. I love Mizuno and always will but their build quality has gone to absolute crap over the last couple years. 

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

4 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

Sorry buddy! I spaced on it yesterday. Just checked and they are exactly the same. All 3 of my wedges, 48, 53, and 58 the shaft steps line up perfectly so the bore depths are the same. I was mistaken with my SM8 wedges. Sounds like a mizuno didn’t get the shaft in all the way. I love Mizuno and always will but their build quality has gone to absolute crap over the last couple years. 

Oh man, thanks for checking! Now I'm bummed..

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 2:24 PM, uglande said:

I'm just talking about the graphics. I'm sure the shaping is nice. The graphics are busier than they need to be and that "T22" logo looks like some disco-era font that doesn't fit with an otherwise classy Mizuno club.

Good thing you don't see those when using the club.

• Like 1

Just looked at these in person for the first time.  I've always been a 60/54 guys, bent a degree strong.  I saw they had basically every odd loft too, which is super cool, but they didn't have a 53 in the store today.  I grabbed the 52 thinking I'd go that route and just bend a degree weak, since that throws a little more bounce out there, but the 52 looked WAY too square of a leading edge.  I still like a little curve out there, so I think I'm just going to go with my usual 54 and bend strong.  

One thing, is that I'm used to a Vokey 60 L-Grind 4*.  The 60 X-Grind 6* looked a little high up from the floor, but then I sat it side by side with a Vokey L/4 and it looked the same.  So I think I'm set on these wedges.  I didn't even know about these or give Mizuno wedges a thought until last week out of the blue.  My Vokeys work well for me, but I hate the feel/sound.  I can't WAIT to order these.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, dbornack said:

Good thing you don't care about what clubs look like in the bag.

• Confused 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

On 11/2/2022 at 1:34 PM, dbornack said:

I’m the same, I only worry about how they look from the address and playing position. To each their own, but how a club looks in the bag is meaningless to me.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip