A round that I expect from a sandbagger......

Under2hours

Ive played and won 2 man net better balls with the ultimate 16 cap

Guy makes 3-5 natural birdies a round and also has 4 or 5 others and shoots ~86 or ~87

He is 60 and drives it 275 still.  If his drive is in play he usually has a 62* wedge in and scores like a demon some rounds

As long as I offset his ball in pocket holes, we can go really low, like -15 over 18 holes

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

2 hours ago, larrybud said:

One round does not make either, but when Mr Net 65 shows up several times, you know something is going on.

Mr. Net 65 seems to show up a lot at handicapped tournament and golf bets. Direct Mr. Net quote "I don't always shoot under my handicap by 7 strokes, but when I do, it is a tournament or playing for money". 😂🤣

• Thanks 1

I wish i was a 15 capable of shooting in the 70's. I'm at 13.3 and my lowest ever round was an 81.  That was a crazy day for me.

A birdie is a rare thing for me.  Almost always on a par five.  Truthfully a look at eagle happens as often as birdie.  The birdie is likely because i missed the eagle putt.

The strokes go on but there isn't a way to take them back off.

On 7/23/2021 at 12:04 PM, Under2hours said:

I am one of those mid-HC'ers (12-15) that is always posting scores in and around my HC.  Usually something is off in the game, but usually Pars & Bogeys, a double here & there and dreaded 3 putts.  Pretty boring stuff.

What always makes me raise an eyebrow is the golfer posting the same scores, but they are the result of wildly fluctuating scores hole to hole.  You know the golfer....  The one who looks like he should be shooting 75, but shoots 83, with 12 GIRs, but then 7's & 8's too on the scorecard and 3-putts (with misses from 3' that you gave him).....  

I finally had one of those rounds.  Generally I may hit 4 GIRs, an up and down here and there and errant shots too.

Well the other day I hit 10 GIRs (a personal best).  Interspersed was 3 triples, 3 doubles and a 3-putt.  I putted well and just missed some birdies (made one) and was thrilled with the game, not the score.

Interesting that my driving (short but usually very consistent) let me down (6 of 13 fairways).

So share your unusual rounds.    

You must be talking directly about me lol. Played Friday 5 hole stretch Double, Double, Bogey, Bogey, Double. Finished with 7 straight pars and an 82. Put the driver away and starting hitting fairways. 

The odd thing was I was playing with a “19 HCP” who hit every fairway and shot 87 that could have been lower......

In our MGA tournaments you want to be either in the Championship or 3rd flight. The Sandbaggers in the First and Second always beat the Championship flight by 3+ strokes. 

Edited by TP10

19 hours ago, smashdn said:

I wish i was a 15 capable of shooting in the 70's. I'm at 13.3 and my lowest ever round was an 81.  That was a crazy day for me.

A birdie is a rare thing for me.  Almost always on a par five.  Truthfully a look at eagle happens as often as birdie.  The birdie is likely because i missed the eagle putt.

The strokes go on but there isn't a way to take them back off.

I'm a 13.5...my best round this year was 78. I'll occasionally shoot an 81 or 82, but there will be multiple rounds of 88-96. Highest round this year was 102.   So, my rounds this year, 78-102.  I am going through lessons and getting better, getting coaching, working on my course management so I am slowly watching my handicap trend down, but still any given day is just that...any given day. My biggest issue is off the tee, my irons are solid and my chipping is really, really good. My putting is okay. On days I get the ball in play off the tee and my putter is decent, I'll shoot low 80's. But otherwise, it's usually low 90's. 

M

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

Opening round of my metro tournament 2 weeks ago.  I was ready to give up after hole 6...  The rest of my group was mumbling that I didn't belong in the flight after the round.  Did they forget the meltdown I had on the front?  Also my lowest scores tend to come when I am playing by myself, can't post those for index... I have broke 80 a handful of times this season, but by myself.  

7-17-Front.jpg.cb5f3b1b5b56409c922507c1bb5168e1.jpg

7-17-Back.jpg.e7c41fc020c7c68658ac33cde970e8ea.jpg

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

On 7/26/2021 at 12:34 PM, physasst said:

Exactly, my round yesterday- triple, par, par, triple, triple, par, par, bogey( grrr-3 putted on par 5), bogey, bogey, par, double, par, triple, par, bogey, par, par....

Shot 88 (par 70)...with 4 triples??? 9 pars....sigh...

Such a weird game....

M

Are we related?

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I get a bit frustrated playing in Grint Tournaments where the same folks tend to do very well and their cap never goes down, they seem to magically stay the same cap even shooting 6-8 strokes below their cap in a Tournament setting not just once but several times on different courses. They stay in the same flight where they should be moving to the next lowest imo if Sandbagging was not allowed.

Also the cap range is clearly spelled out but for some reason the organizers are putting people below the stated cutoff in the next higher flight. I had a good run lately and moved into the Eagle flight which is 8-12 and several players are in the 7's playing the same flight which seems a bit unfair.

Add that I am generally 20-30 years older than everyone else so distance is an issue, but even with all this complaining I just entered another one for next Sat. It is a lot of fun playing real golf on nice tracks. 

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX Pro / CB  4-11 PX IO 5.5 

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

One score I saw recently in a Spark Golf event; 11 under for 9 holes (7 birdies and 2 eagles). I don't see any way that is NOT sandbagging unless it's plain lying. Other bagger evidence is more like the 18-24 handicapper that throws a wedge wedge to the perfect spot on a hard, fast, slick green and spins it back to inside 2'.  Witnessed that shot 3 or 4 times by an opponent in a member-guest on his way to a "career round". I wouldn't even give "vanity cappers" the sandbagger label. IMO they are harmless unless you somehow get stuck with them as a partner.

On 7/26/2021 at 7:27 PM, Under2hours said:

As said this is aimed at the 15, who easily can shoot in the 70's, but then also is putting up 95's

Literally me. Shot a career round of 79 once when ballstriking was incredibly consistent that day. Still trying to get back there but am nearly always mid to high 80’s…

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I was in a Tournament type Event and one young guy listed as a 19 hit a 3 iron off the 1st tee right about 240, he went on to shoot under par (shamble) and severely pissed off the host who had to give him strokes.

He was a real nice kid and said he was a member at East lake I believe it was (some high end Course around Atlanta) and he played the tips and that was a real cap there. I guess that was possible, but he took the Course we were playing apart for two rounds from about 6,400 yds. 

• Sad 1

SLED # 1  35.5

Played a Grint Tournament last Sat, I played like Hot garbage and shamed myself but the guy that won the Eagle Flight I was in (8-12 cap) won with a 69 (with the course cap figured in) and was a 5.3 cap, how in the world that is right is a mystery.

Another guy in my group put up a straight 78 played a great round (I did not look to see what his cap score was but he was second in the flight) and he admited that some high scores in the last few weeks took him up from his normal 6-7 cap hmmm, possible I guess the same way mine went down in the last few weeks.

I am done with the Grint Tournaments, they are obviously a stacked deck and it is not a lot of fun being 20-30 yards behind everyone off the tee as the oldest guy in the field.  

If I had played well I might feel differently but the writing is on the wall that unless I am at 110% it is a waste of time and money and I was at no more than 15-20% Sat. with it being CPO and a over 5 hr round starting at 11:50 in the morning in 96-98* heat at least that humidity.

Edited by Jim53

SLED # 1  35.5

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the definition of erratic. Most recent this last weekend, hit 13 greens and made 6 birdies and only 1 bogey. Shot +1

Blasted a ball 75 yards right out of bounds, double. Dead chunk into the water on a par 3, double. 4 putted a par 5, double.

Also there was the other par 5, tried to cut a corner into a hazard, found the ball, chipped out, 4 iron from 205 to 20 feet, lipped out for birdie #7. 

Everything else was pretty solid. 

Edited by mneumann

Isn't the ESC still part of the handicap system?

There are lots of different sandbaggers ...

The basic "goofing around" guy who bogeys every hole in casual rounds but "gets serious" during tournaments.

The guy who has strategic bad holes ... gotta watch out for these guys during skins games and best balls. When they know holes are halved or their partner has control of the hole, suddenly they forget how to play golf. Seems to especially effect their short-range putting.

You have the pencil warrior, who plays with an "out of town" buddy and shoots 83s, but shoots 71 in club events and always birdies the big money skin holes.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

When I started taking lessons as a 20 handicapper, for the first 2 months I noticed that my scores didn’t really get lower, but they were being achieved differently.  I slowly went from 2 to 3 pars per round to 5+, but those improvements were getting balanced by a few more big numbers when the wheels came off the new swing.