Mizuno ST-Z 220 and ST-X 220

AtlantaGolf3

My 2020 CLK 4h has turned into hook monster as I went through swing changes for the rest of my bag. Really thinking about the 7-wood, I absolutely adore the ST-Z 3-wood and 5-wood, so if the ST-X 7-wood is similar then I'm taking out the card.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

The STX 3 wood has 15 degrees on it but the spec sheet says 16.  What am I missing? 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

1 hour ago, Lemonde said:

The STX 3 wood has 15 degrees on it but the spec sheet says 16.  What am I missing? 

It is weird. My guess is that Mizuno built it with more loft to help the average golfer who struggles to elevate 3w. BUT they don't want to call it a 4w (indeed, it's 43.25 in. long with a big head) and adding the correct loft number on the head would just confuse people. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by uglande

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

3 hours ago, Lemonde said:

All of the retailer sites have it listed as 16*. My best guess is with the   titanium face and larger, more forgiving head, 16* reached the target audience for the st-x three wood Mizuno intended-those looking for an easier to launch, hotter faced, larger footprint fairway. 

Unfortunately for me, I was definitely hoping for the more "tour spoon" style fwy to match with this year's stz launch. 

Also it doesn't look like mizuno added much in the way of shaft options for this release.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, picardyThird said:

My 2020 CLK 4h has turned into hook monster as I went through swing changes for the rest of my bag. Really thinking about the 7-wood, I absolutely adore the ST-Z 3-wood and 5-wood, so if the ST-X 7-wood is similar then I'm taking out the card.

Same

would LOVE a STZ 7 wood.....where is it????

this X is going to be a hook machine - Zero interest

for a 'players' company, where is the players 7 wood???

• Confused 1

Have been checking out some other websites for more details on shaft offerings.  Hard to find much but this link https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/news-and-events/equipment-news/2022/january/mizuno-st-z-220-st-x-220-drivers-launch/

does call out 20+ custom fit shaft options so that seems much closer to last years release.  Just need the details to show up on Mizuno's website....

27 minutes ago, Bogeygolfisfun said:

Have been checking out some other websites for more details on shaft offerings.  Hard to find much but this link https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/news-and-events/equipment-news/2022/january/mizuno-st-z-220-st-x-220-drivers-launch/

does call out 20+ custom fit shaft options so that seems much closer to last years release.  Just need the details to show up on Mizuno's website....

The shaft options look basically identical to what I remember offered in last years release. 

Hoping to go in for a driver fitting next week at TXG. The STX was one I was hoping to try. Do you think if I get fit into the earlier version I can just take those specs and order the newer 220?

Thanks and FORE!!!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

18 minutes ago, Forged5 said:

Hoping to go in for a driver fitting next week at TXG. The STX was one I was hoping to try. Do you think if I get fit into the earlier version I can just take those specs and order the newer 220?

Thanks and FORE!!!

Assuming your swing hasn't changed much you would more than likely fit it to similar spec as your last fitting. I haven't been "fit" in over a decade but I'm the same height, weight, have about the same swing speed and path, been able to just order to a spec I'm used to and had no issues with the game that are club related. 

Might save you a bunch of money at TXG any way since they just got bought out by club champion who is notorious for pushing up charge shafts in their business model. 

8 hours ago, jetmech879 said:

My SIM2 has been in the closet since I got the ST-G 220! I’m seeing longer, straighter drives and it’s more forgiving. Mizuno has really been making great drivers for years but are overshadowed by the other big driver names. I had a MP-650 years back and that thing was a beast! Sold it like a moron and have been looking for that same performance since. I found it in the 220. Love it! 

Outside of whatever my current gamer is, over the last 20+ years I've only kept 3 drivers for permanent garage placement:

1) Titleist 983E

2) R7 Quad

3) MP650

That MP650 is one of the best looking and sounding drivers I've ever hit. That club was so well done by Mizuno and never got near the love that it should've gotten. The fairways and hybrids were also phenomenal clubs.

• Like 4

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

59 minutes ago, Morry said:

New clk and st-z fairways next year.....I will wait...VERY Exciting 

Amazing news. Where did you see this?

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 220 8.5° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 / 60g

3w: Mizuno ST-Z 15° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

5w: Mizuno ST-Z 18° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 / 70g

4i-5i: Mizuno Pro 223 - Project X Rifle 6.5

6i-PW: Mizuno Pro 221 - Project X Rifle 6.5

50.07S: Mizuno T22 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
54.10S: Mizuno T24 - Satin Chrome - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
60.12V: Mizuno T24 - Denim Copper - True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1 T2 - 34"/69° -  Matte Black Shaft - Press No. II 3°

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

On 1/15/2022 at 1:49 PM, Morry said:

Same

would LOVE a STZ 7 wood.....where is it????

this X is going to be a hook machine - Zero interest

for a 'players' company, where is the players 7 wood???

I don’t think it will be a hook machine. Sits neutral and same flatter lie as far as I understand. It’s just built to have a slight draw to the flight because tour players want that in a 3-wood. But I recall mizuno saying that the st-x driver from last year was built with the weight close to the heal because that makes it easier to work for a skilled golfer…or something of that nature.

[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Driver: Mizuno st180 - Diamana Bf60x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]3 wood: Callaway rogue sz - GD Tour AD-DI 7x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Hybrid: Callaway Rogue 19* - GD Tour AD-DI 85x ---Testing Srixon H85 veylix rome 988x[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]2-Iron: PXG 0311x extreme dark - KBS Tour prototype hybrid 95s+[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Irons: Mizuno JPX919 Tour 5-pw - Project x lz 6.5[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Wedges: Mizuno T7 52&58 - KBS Custom Black Wedge shafts[/size][/font][/i]
[i][font=times new roman,times,serif][size=2]Putter: Toulon Atlanta Garage All black[/size][/font][/i]

1 hour ago, MizunoMade said:

I don’t think it will be a hook machine. Sits neutral and same flatter lie as far as I understand. It’s just built to have a slight draw to the flight because tour players want that in a 3-wood. But I recall mizuno saying that the st-x driver from last year was built with the weight close to the heal because that makes it easier to work for a skilled golfer…or something of that nature.

I think that is total rubbish - the draw-bias of the head will overpower the lie angle easily 

and tour players do NOT want that lol....hence why every 'tour' offering driver and fairway offered by all OEMs is neutral to fade biased 

17 minutes ago, uglande said:

Anyone know release date?

Preorders are available now. In stores the 3rd or 4th of February. 

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

4 hours ago, Morry said:

I didn't....that's the 2 year cycle....no update on either this year...unfortunately 

both fantastic offerings

look forward to the updates 

Mizuno hasn't been on a two year cycle for updating their fairway line. Launch articles on other forums said mizuno intended to launch the stz fairway update and basically blamed supply chain and production timeline. Definitely not because two year release is what they were trying to do. 

I'm looking forward to the update as well but for the 220 stz to not come out with a complimentary fairway feels like a flop. 

That's like Taylormade coming out with the stealth and stealth plus driver but only releasing the stealth fairway wood. 

Last years stz is also unavailable for custom order now as well leaving players who don't want a draw biased, large and forgiving fairway with no option to pair with the stz or stg drivers this season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MizunoMade said:

I also could have sworn I heard or read Vosh stating the Z actually had a higher MOI since the weight was slightly further back in the head.

Will the shafts be made for or will they be the actual shafts for the stock options on these drivers?

Edited by Sankacoffee

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

10 hours ago, MizunoMade said:

Actually quite upright. STX 3w is 59.5, which, for a 43.25 in. club, would make it among the most upright on the market, with no adjustability. If it's draw weighted and this upright, a left miss is a legit concern, even if the face sits square. But I'm still interested in testing. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

Is there an embargo on ST-Z/X 220 equipment? None of the popular YouTube influencers have reviewed it yet. Only seen coverage on Not allowed because of spam and some other media sites. Did see placeholder for AskGolfNut “ST-Z/X Driver Review Coming Soon.” Guessing they are still in embargo or Mizuno isn’t paying these guys enough with their shoestring marketing budget. 

13 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

Is there an embargo on ST-Z/X 220 equipment? None of the popular YouTube influencers have reviewed it yet. Only seen coverage on Not allowed because of spam and some other media sites. Did see placeholder for AskGolfNut “ST-Z/X Driver Review Coming Soon.” Guessing they are still in embargo or Mizuno isn’t paying these guys enough with their shoestring marketing budget. 

It's because it's a Mizuno driver.

WITB

1 hour ago, HarborMike said:

Any non Big 5 wood releases are put on the back burner, some of them are reviewed later in the year, some not at all.  MGS always does a write up right away but is not review but will get thrown into Most Wanted testing by the end of the year.  TXG will review it sooner than others, particular if Vosh is available.  He hasn’t been lately so nothing has been posted.   Now mizuno irons are reviewed right away, the other big 5 irons it’s a crapshoot,  

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

4 minutes ago, joshella said:

It's because the embargo is Feb 3rd.

Preorders are available. There are already some clips on youtube.

They hit the floors February 3rd.

WITB