2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

5 wood Head and Shaft recommendations

Southpaw5

Looking for a new 5 wood head and shaft combo currently gaming the Titleist 915 5 wood with an Adila Tour Green X flex shaft and have loved it over the years but am looking for something new. Looking for a head and shaft combo that I can launch high off deck into par 5s but also be able to hit low control the ball flight and spin off the tee with. 

Edited by Southpaw5

Radspeed Tour 4/5 wood with the stock Motore F1 is a really good combo. It’s one of the first times I’ve stuck with a stock shaft for most of a golf season. I’ll try other shafts and keep coming back to the Motore F1 and the head set to 18.5° loft. I actually like it so much that I don’t really miss my Adams 19° XTD Super Hybrid. 

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I’m (mostly) loving my Sim 2 5 wood but am trying to find the right shaft for it. Bouncing between Graphite Design XC 7x and Tensei White Raw 85tx. 

Taylormade Qi 10 LS 8* Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Qi 10 Tour 3 Wood Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 19* Hybrid Tensei Black 95X

Ping G430 22* Hybrid Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Taylormade P790 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Taylormade MG4 48* HiToe 3rd Gen 54, SM9 60T KBS Tour 120

LAB Mezz Accra shaft

9 hours ago, jah7838 said:

Radspeed Tour 4/5 wood with the stock Motore F1 is a really good combo. It’s one of the first times I’ve stuck with a stock shaft for most of a golf season. I’ll try other shafts and keep coming back to the Motore F1 and the head set to 18.5° loft. I actually like it so much that I don’t really miss my Adams 19° XTD Super Hybrid. 

yeaaa, but the Motore X isn’t exactly your average stock shaft, it’s a premium offering at most places. 

see signature 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

2 hours ago, Mookieb10 said:

yeaaa, but the Motore X isn’t exactly your average stock shaft, it’s a premium offering at most places. 

I agree...but it still doesn't change the fact that I rarely keep using the stock shaft that comes with a club.  This is golfwrx you know...😀

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Noticed a lot of sim 2 5 wood recommendations currently have a sim 3 wood with a tour ad di 7x shaft it pretty hot off the face and My main concern w a 5 wood would be it going to far especially since I go from 4 iron to 5 wood just wondering if the the sim 2 5 wood is as hot as the sim 

Edited by Southpaw5

I have found the Sim 2 to not be as hot as the Sim. But, it is still a long 5 wood. 

Another option I play with is an original Callaway Steelhead with a Nippon 950fw steel shaft. Definitely solves the “too hot” problem and is a joy to hit. 🙂

Taylormade Qi 10 LS 8* Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Qi 10 Tour 3 Wood Ventus TR Black 8X

Ping G430 19* Hybrid Tensei Black 95X

Ping G430 22* Hybrid Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Taylormade P790 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Taylormade MG4 48* HiToe 3rd Gen 54, SM9 60T KBS Tour 120

LAB Mezz Accra shaft

The best combination for me has been a Callaway Epic Speed 5W with a Diamana BF. Not a cheap shaft upgrade, but I snagged it off Callaway Pre-owned during one of their big fairway wood discounts and ended up getting a club that still had the wrapper on it for less than the Epic Speed with a no-upcharge shaft normally goes for new. 

Another one I've really liked, and somebody mentioned it earlier, is the Cobra Radspeed Tour. It's a small head and a shorter shaft (41.75" is stock, compared to 42.5" for most companies on 5W and 42.75" I believe for Callaway and TaylorMade). Borderline hybrid-like; has a lot in common with the new Apex UW. I like the rails -- I can get steep and it might all be in my head but I felt like they actually did help me -- and I found it really workable, if that's what you're looking for, compared to my Epic Speed, which I guess is workable in more talented hands than mine but mostly wants to go high and far. I wound up selling it because it just wasn't fitting the gapping I needed; I wasn't getting a ton more out of it than my 4 hybrid. But if you play a 4 iron, it's one that I think could make a lot of sense. Plus, I really just think Cobra did a great job with their 2021 lineup. The Motore X shafts are good stock options, and Cobra charges a bit less than some other manufacturers for premium/upcharge shafts.

I've also hit the Ping G425 Max quite a bit and found it really forgiving. It's a nice club. One I did NOT get along with, for whatever reason, is the Callaway Epic Max. It's supposed to be more forgiving than the Epic Speed, and normally I'm all for getting as much forgiveness as possible, but for some reason it just didn't look right to me. I've only demoed the Epic Max in golf shops. But, if you like that pancake sort of shape, I personally liked the G425 Max better.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

• 2 months later...
On 10/22/2021 at 9:10 AM, eric61 said:

The best combination for me has been a Callaway Epic Speed 5W with a Diamana BF. Not a cheap shaft upgrade, but I snagged it off Callaway Pre-owned during one of their big fairway wood discounts and ended up getting a club that still had the wrapper on it for less than the Epic Speed with a no-upcharge shaft normally goes for new. 

Another one I've really liked, and somebody mentioned it earlier, is the Cobra Radspeed Tour. It's a small head and a shorter shaft (41.75" is stock, compared to 42.5" for most companies on 5W and 42.75" I believe for Callaway and TaylorMade). Borderline hybrid-like; has a lot in common with the new Apex UW. I like the rails -- I can get steep and it might all be in my head but I felt like they actually did help me -- and I found it really workable, if that's what you're looking for, compared to my Epic Speed, which I guess is workable in more talented hands than mine but mostly wants to go high and far. I wound up selling it because it just wasn't fitting the gapping I needed; I wasn't getting a ton more out of it than my 4 hybrid. But if you play a 4 iron, it's one that I think could make a lot of sense. Plus, I really just think Cobra did a great job with their 2021 lineup. The Motore X shafts are good stock options, and Cobra charges a bit less than some other manufacturers for premium/upcharge shafts.

I am considering picking up a Radspeed Tour 5W from a local buy sell group, to play at 16/16.5* (maybe at 3W length) alongside my TSi2 7W. Currently have Radspeed 3W and 5W that is sidelined at the moment but I am interested in testing a 4W-like option.

My other consideration is an Epic Speed/Max 4 wood. I kind of like the idea of the club being designed to play as a 4W rather than lofting up/down to achieve the similar loft.

Did you find the Radspeed Tour hard to hit compared to a standard size FW? is it significantly smaller than an Epic Speed? hard to tell from images alone. 

Stealth+ 9* @9.75, RDX Black 70g 6.5 | Stealth Plus 3W LAGP Trono 75x |Stealth Plus 5W RDX Black 80g 6.5 | 

G425 22@ 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | JPX 921 Forged Modus 105S | SM8 50.08F, 54.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

I game the Epic Speed 4w (there is no Max 4 BTW) and I prefer a bit more loft for a FW wood vs. trying to hit 3w bombs. For stock offerings, I was very impressed with the Smoke IM shaft. I previously played a IZ 7-S in my other cally 4w's but have left the IM in there and moved the IZ into a different fairway for now. 

I think Cally gets less love since they have gone bonded in the FW for 3 generations now but that hasn't bothered me too much personally. I see plenty of SIM Ti FW's out there, can't go wrong there either if you like the look of them. 

13 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

I game the Epic Speed 4w (there is no Max 4 BTW) and I prefer a bit more loft for a FW wood vs. trying to hit 3w bombs. For stock offerings, I was very impressed with the Smoke IM shaft. I previously played a IZ 7-S in my other cally 4w's but have left the IM in there and moved the IZ into a different fairway for now. 

I think Cally gets less love since they have gone bonded in the FW for 3 generations now but that hasn't bothered me too much personally. I see plenty of SIM Ti FW's out there, can't go wrong there either if you like the look of them. 

thanks for clarifying the availability. I have an ADDI sitting with a Cobra adapter so could be in the same position as you with a shaft ready to be thrown in. I hit an Epic Max 3W once also with the im10 and it did feel pretty good. 

Stealth+ 9* @9.75, RDX Black 70g 6.5 | Stealth Plus 3W LAGP Trono 75x |Stealth Plus 5W RDX Black 80g 6.5 | 

G425 22@ 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | JPX 921 Forged Modus 105S | SM8 50.08F, 54.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

SIM2 Max or Ping G425 Max.  

Having a battle between the 2 currently and the Ping is winning but it may be the shaft.

Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red 7s in the SIM2 Max vs a Diamana DF 70s in The Ping.

DF just seems a bit friendly on smooth swings while the Velocore likes when you go after it.

SIM2 Max sounds better but Ping is easier to elevate and really seems to just want to go high and straight.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 7:18 AM, Southpaw5 said:

Noticed a lot of sim 2 5 wood recommendations currently have a sim 3 wood with a tour ad di 7x shaft it pretty hot off the face and My main concern w a 5 wood would be it going to far especially since I go from 4 iron to 5 wood just wondering if the the sim 2 5 wood is as hot as the sim 

If you have the SIM Ti 3 metal, then I would suggest getting that head as your 5 metal as well.  I love mine as it's my fairway finder off the tee when my driver is off(currently), it's hot like you mentioned and I really love the way it looks.  I have the ZF in my mine and I can get it to launch high when I need to but it always flattens out at it's peak and cuts through the wind pretty well.  

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2