A Few Thoughts From Monty.....

Forged4ever

33 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

On further consideration…..I think all of us are missing the point.  Some have said they believe a rollback in head size would do the trick of making it more difficult like the good old days.  Others, including myself,  have said the head size is not the answer.  It has been touched on a bit but hat I think has been missed is that it is not the head size that makes the modern drivers more forgiving.  It is the lighter overall weight combined with the perimeter weighting that makes the “sweet spot” play bigger.  Even though the sweet spot truly is just a small spot.  It is just that the misses are penalized less.
  So a reduced size on its own would do little.  Does the idea of reducing the tech in modern clubs, of any size, really appeal to anyone out there?  If it does you can just play older clubs and be happy I guess. 

"All of us are missing the point,"😂😂😂

Bro, you're waaaay too kind😂🤪😘🤙

If there's one thing that I may be better at than derailing a thread, it's "missing the point," lol😜🤪

That's why I love startin my own threads cuz I can take em wherever I want, or you guys can do the same, and if someone doesn't like or agree with it, they can getTFout😂😂

Sooooo, back to me bein one of the most clueless sumb*tches on the board😜🤪

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that head size, in and of itself, is not the end all be all, as one would also have to address the technological aspect of the club also, ie., material, design rationale, yada yada yada. 

You know what would be really cool~

To have a Tour event whereby all the Players would Play a circa 1970's bag, that is, persimmon woods and the Tour Blades.

Let em take a few months to hit/Play with em, then turn em loose!!

We have a 36 hole "vintage" Tourney once a year that has a net & gross Champion, which basically turns into a vintage Club Championship. I won 3 of those though they wouldn't allow me to include em my total Club Championship tally😜🤪😂

I felt just like Sam when they were strippin away his Victories and movin the goal posts on him, lolol😂😂

They too said that I was "missing the point," 😂😂😂

Stay Well Brotha and have a Great Week👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

23 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

As much as I like Colin, and Lord knows that my thought process isn't the be all end all, though it's pretty damn close, 😂😂, however, would something like this have been better said in either a one on one conversation with Padre or a group meeting, basically, behind closed doors🚪??

That depends on what the goal is.  The term you can make an omelet without breaking a few eggs comes to mind.

"Keep it behind closed doors" has its place, but it also enables continuation of poor practices.  Go back to Mickelson and Watson.  Everyone would have expected Mickelson to say "Tom was great" and lie through his teeth publicly.  Then he says whatever he has to say behind closed doors.  Well, the first question that needs answering is, do some things need to change?  If the answers is yes, could you really have expected any change from the leadership at that time?  You know those people who flew first class, watched the RC from the suite, stayed in the 5 star hotel, had access to the team room and the team sommelier and all other "benefits"...ie the suits?  Sure seems like a lot that would not want to rock the boat.  You know, politics and protecting one's position.  If one feels the answer to the question was no, then you have a different discussion.

By putting it out there, Mickelson really hammered a few people.  Watson included.  But more importantly, he put some pressure on those suits to stop simply soaking up the riches that came from being in the right position, and start focusing on the team.  

IMHO, keeping things behind closed doors simply means "make your point, don't make me look bad, and I'm not going to change a thing."  At least be upfront about the fact protecting egos is the most important outcome of anything, then maybe I'll support the behind closed doors.  

It's kind of like what Phil Jackson once said. Something about Italy having a very violent history, but also Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and a host of other notable things.  Switzerland has been peaceful all this time, and their claim to fame is the cuckoo clock.  (Not debating the veracity of those exact statements, just that better rarely comes from smooth, status quo environments.)

6 hours ago, golfortennis said:

That depends on what the goal is.  The term you can make an omelet without breaking a few eggs comes to mind.

"Keep it behind closed doors" has its place, but it also enables continuation of poor practices.  Go back to Mickelson and Watson.  Everyone would have expected Mickelson to say "Tom was great" and lie through his teeth publicly.  Then he says whatever he has to say behind closed doors.  Well, the first question that needs answering is, do some things need to change?  If the answers is yes, could you really have expected any change from the leadership at that time?  You know those people who flew first class, watched the RC from the suite, stayed in the 5 star hotel, had access to the team room and the team sommelier and all other "benefits"...ie the suits?  Sure seems like a lot that would not want to rock the boat.  You know, politics and protecting one's position.  If one feels the answer to the question was no, then you have a different discussion.

By putting it out there, Mickelson really hammered a few people.  Watson included.  But more importantly, he put some pressure on those suits to stop simply soaking up the riches that came from being in the right position, and start focusing on the team.  

IMHO, keeping things behind closed doors simply means "make your point, don't make me look bad, and I'm not going to change a thing."  At least be upfront about the fact protecting egos is the most important outcome of anything, then maybe I'll support the behind closed doors.  

It's kind of like what Phil Jackson once said. Something about Italy having a very violent history, but also Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and a host of other notable things.  Switzerland has been peaceful all this time, and their claim to fame is the cuckoo clock.  (Not debating the veracity of those exact statements, just that better rarely comes from smooth, status quo environments.)

This is all fine and dandy, however I find the comparisons to be a tad sweeping and extreme, most certainly unlike anything that I've ever experienced, lolol. To equate you and I sitting down privately, and when I say "privately," I am not always speaking to literally "one on one," as most of the times in my life where these types of encounters took place, the situation was centered around either a team, group or organization/company, and there were all of the Coaches, Captains, Players or Board Members, Senior Executives Peers and/or Employees, belly to belly in a locker room, meeting room or board room. I could see if it was just two individuals privately, if one was a piece of sh*t, he could leave the room and totally lie about what transpired though I'll leave it at at the age of 61yo, I have never experienced this, as in my athletic, professional & social  life, this type of situation involved more than one person, from a small team of my employees to say, an athletic team or socially, a group of individuals or professionally, a unit of my peers with senior management or in the last 30+ years with my firm, with me and senior executives and their boards or me with my employees(27). 

Putting myself in that specific Ryder Cup situation that you mentioned, I myself would have called an "all-team" meeting, which would have included Captain and Co-Captains, along with the Team and in front of the 12-15 individuals in that room, I would have said what I felt needed to be said, whether it was to Tom or to any one or more of my teammates. I would have used whatever language and tone that was appropriate to get my point across, As I've got Zero problem turning the temperature up, and I actually enjoy that, as it's usually been that the higher the temp, the more effective that I am as a Leader. IF that is what was called for(it has also been my experience that it is usually not called for). However it would have been belly to belly, man to man(or woman) in the locker room/meeting room, with the ONLY individuals that matter, the TEAM,  not on some phone or computer keypad for all of the world to see and read. 

I am an uber strong believer of "what goes on in the locker room/board room stays in the locker room/board room." I've been blessed that I've Played on and Captained Championship sports teams and worked for and owned Championship level companies, and the "status quo" was not even in ANYONE that I've ever associated with vocabulary. 

I've found that probably 98%+ of be time, be it athletically, professionally or socially, making someone "look bad" had absolutely ZERO to do with achieving anything positive, as my ultimate goal was to make corrections to make us a better team, unit, organization or company, and you do not do that by making someone "look bad" or humiliating them. However, IF that individual is/was so self centered as to put themselves above the team, unit, group or company, that other less than 2%+ of the time, then yah, I said and did what needed to be said and done, to fix the issue, eradicate the problem and/or move us in the direction that best made it possible to achieve our goals. The one thing that I did not do was do it on the telephone or a conference call, or in later years, on social media. I did/do it belly to belly, man to man(woman)and again, when need be, in their face, so that there was/is  ZERO misunderstanding.

That said, I can only remember three times in my life, far far far less than 2%, once in college ball, once in golf with our Club Inter Club Team and once professionally, where it came to that point as the individuals had their goals and priorities so screwed up, that i had to make an example out of them. 

Though I don't know Michelson personally, I do know a few guys who do, and the one, who's very close to him and actually loves him, and I will say that Michelson stepped up for this guy in a huge way that very very few people on earth would have, however he did say that Michelson's personality is such that, well, I'll leave it at he's not a "belly to belly" kinda guy, lol, and chirpin from behind the safety & distance of a phone/computer keypad fits him and his personality much better, versus standing right in front of Tom and the team, or sitting across from Tom, again, with the team present, and saying his piece.

Obviously we have come from different experiences and I have thanked God many times for one, the crib that I landed in, though even more so, the Parents, Coaches, influential Teachers and most of all, the Mentors that I've had, that taught me to one, never EVER settle for second place and secondly, to ALWAYS get back up when I get knocked down, and not just to get back up, but to come back up fighting, literally or figuratively.  I've also been blessed in that I've never been part of a team, organization group or company that didn't do the same thing. 

The "status quo?"

Those words have NEVER EVER even been in my vocabulary🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

However, to equate dealing with an issue belly to belly, man to man(or woman) behind closed doors in either a locker room, meeting room or board room with "accepting the status quo" is akin to mistaking a man's kindness for weakness.

Like I said, I take it face to face, belly to belly, for better or for worse. 

I only spoke of not using the safety and distance of a keyboard to deliver a message to an audience, most of whom have ZERO to do with or are associated with the team. You got something to say to Tom Watson, Paddy Harrington or any other Captain, there are plenty of times and opportunities to have the teams, head hacks and all involved in a room, belly to belly. 

As far as whateverTF the quote was by Jackson, though I would equate some spineless balless tweeter twit who chirps in 280 character sound bites from across the country or globe to be a Swiss thing, though the Swiss are famous for far more than a cuckoo clock, however I get that that makes for cute theatre and Phil's a witty guy, so that was a cute analogy, however as far as Italy goes, the guys that he mentioned made their marks over 500 years ago, 😂😂, and as far as this fierce "violent" Italy and any history there of, well, the only violence of note in the 20th century was when some bald *ss lil round doughboy became some five foot nothin German psychopath's b*tch, got his country's *ss handed to em and then he exited stage right hangin upside down in the town center with his balls in his mouth, lol.

Now I will say that the resistance were a bunch of violent mo fo's, lol🤙

So, in closing, if my initial post left any doubt in your mind as to how I would have dealt with the Ryder Cup situations, then that is on me as it's my responsibility to make myself understood and I apologize for not making myself understood. 

My only point was that I find airing "team" things, dirty laundry, etc., in public, outside of the locker room or a meeting room, to be balless, gutter & low class. 

It has absolutely nothing to do with keeping it "soft," "smooth" or "status quo"

If Tom, Paddy or whomever need blasted, trust me, I'll blast em into the next meeting room/locker room

I've was taught and have lived my life by, if I cannot say it to a man's face, for ANY reason, I don't say it~

I wouldn't text it, I wouldn't email it, I wouldn't  say it on a phone or LM, and I sureTF wouldn't say it on social media

I've always chirped on this board and others that anonymity is the clothing of a coward.

Well, I've added that social media is the weapon of choice for a coward~

Just for the record, I think the world of both Tom & Colin, speak to Tom a few times a year and Colin over the Holidays every year, so I've got no axe to grind with either of em and love em both as Men and as Players😊

For me, "what goes on in the locker room/board room stays in the locker room/board room" is Immutable & is Gospel~

Those of you that have Played high level Team sports or Played Professionally in the executive suites know exactly of what I speak😊 

As always, just my .03 worth~

Thanks for taking the time to respond and apologies for not making myself understood👊

Cheers🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I just heard that at the 1995 PGA Monty hit 67 of 72 greens and lost. That has to be a record. 

Reading stuff like this just make feel even more disappointed that Monty was never able to win a major!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023