2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

A Few Thoughts From Monty.....

Forged4ever

28 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I have no opinion on the Ryder Cup issues he brings up save for better players will beat inferior players all else being equal.  I'll let Europe figure out why their guys aren't better than the current crop of Americans.

Captains do have some part to play in success, but more importantly, isn't it a bit early to say "their guys aren't better than the current crop of Americans" as it pertains to the RC?  They've split the last four, and it brings to mind the old adage when the baseball team loses, "the other guys are paid to be out there as well."  

Completely agreed on your money sentence.  For whatever reason, there isn't the same benefit to sponsoring an ET event as there is a PGA tour event.  Still think it's tax related, but have never been able to confirm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Captains do have some part to play in success, but more importantly, isn't it a bit early to say "their guys aren't better than the current crop of Americans" as it pertains to the RC?  They've split the last four, and it brings to mind the old adage when the baseball team loses, "the other guys are paid to be out there as well."  

Completely agreed on your money sentence.  For whatever reason, there isn't the same benefit to sponsoring an ET event as there is a PGA tour event.  Still think it's tax related, but have never been able to confirm.

I paraphrased Montgomery.  He said as much when he mentioned world ranking.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smashdn said:

I paraphrased Montgomery.  He said as much when he mentioned world ranking.

I'd just make a vid of Ian's Ryder Cup exploits and let him give the younger guys a lil talk on world rankings, their value when ya plant the peg, yada yada yada, lol. His greatest performances were when he was ranked 42, 12, 39 & 54th, his most recent ranking when he took down Finau(#9 at the time) to continue his incredible 6-0-1 single's record. 

If the US Plays up to those rankings, as they did this year, then yah, the Euros could be in for a long three days in Italy. However, with the next Cup being on Euro soil, I now wanna see how these American kids handle the travel, the fans/crowds along with the track, which while not uber long, will test their shot making ability. 

Excellent post Brotha!

Thanks for responding👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 4

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I like Monty, 

He says stuff that others would not dare to, and is refreshingly honest.

During an interview I saw years ago he was talking about his pre tour days. He spoke about an on course job interview he had over 9 holes with one of the larger management companies. I remember him saying that at the end he made a big pitch for the job, only to be told something like, Colin you have just shot 29, we should be working for you.

I was on the receiving end of one of his famous stares once at Wentworth, it was terrifying. Every iron shot that day was straight at the flag, it just looked so easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

12 hours ago, bladehunter said:

does the fedex cup consider the us masters or the us open so heavily ? ( real question ). 

Yes they are counted the same way. The difference is that the PGA Tour purses week in week out are much higher than the ET week in week out and therefore the highest dollar tournaments on the PGA Tour don't impact the money list nearly as much as does the ET.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1

Monty's issue is he isn't the guy he is on the golf Channel commentary or doing interviews when he is other course. He was constantly yelling at fans and being a dick to volunteers at the Schaub cup this year. I was thinking he had changed since Mrs. DOUBTFIRE days but he hasn't. He is a thin skinned man looking for excuses for bad play when playing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Haroputt said:

i like Monty's swing back in his prime  very flowing and consistent .

i tried to copy it , discuss with my coach years ago that in order to have that type of swing I had to 'sway' my head and wasn't for me .

Article makes him sound bitter  that the game evolved has beyond him

Could be. But I think he’s saying it devolved.  Which is purely in the eye of the beholder. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

18 hours ago, hammersia said:

Very much this ^^^

Saw him do a clinic ten years ago and he was terrific, not particularly approachable but extremely knowledgeable, gregarious with some good lines. Very intelligent commentator on the game.

But jeez I probably saw him a dozen times in European tournaments and he was always, without fail, moody and rude to at least a handful of spectators / marshals / volunteers etc. 

Our equivalent of Steve "the Volcano" Pate, always ready to explode. And it's not like he was super young in his prime. Just utterly tiresome behavior. 

Further to my post above, I do recall that some of his moodiness was down to his fellow tour members.  For some reason early in his career he'd commented to a playing partner that if his parents had had a girl, she would have been named Jennifer.

Henceforth those Euro tour members with a more sophisticated sense of humour would always call him Jennifer.

• Like 1

When it comes to distance it’s just that the scale has moved.  Is there room on tour today for a guy hitting it 260? No. But there is room for the 290ish guys like Simpson and Na.  So the short players are out there and they are just longer than when the leaders were hitting it 280. But they can still be competitive especiyon the right courses.
 Monty the man has always been entertaining and interesting in interviews.  The on course golfer Monty was a more surly guy that played with a chip on his shoulder.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

19 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

When it comes to distance it’s just that the scale has moved.  Is there room on tour today for a guy hitting it 260? No. But there is room for the 290ish guys like Simpson and Na.  So the short players are out there and they are just longer than when the leaders were hitting it 280. But they can still be competitive especiyon the right courses.
 Monty the man has always been entertaining and interesting in interviews.  The on course golfer Monty was a more surly guy that played with a chip on his shoulder.

Na is one of the most interesting guys out there to watch. In no meaningful sense is he anything like a 290 guy, no I'm not checking the figures. He is very much a 255 guy. 

And he's brilliant, it would be great to see a few more guys like him out competing on tour.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hammersia said:

In no meaningful sense is he anything like a 290 guy, no I'm not checking the figures. He is very much a 255 guy. 

That's ok, I'll check em for ya😊

I am clueless as to what is a "meaningful sense" versus say, a "non meaningful" sense, however last year(2021) Na was good for a 289.6 average, which ranked him at T177 on Tour.

Shilgs is usually spot on with his numbers, averages, etc., we just disagree on that strength of field bullsh*t😂😂

Anytime that I'm on the losing side of a logic based data driven argument, I call "bullsh*t," lolol🤪

Shilgs is much more mature than I, or so Madison tells me😜

Cheers🍻

RP

250B8679-A72A-49FD-B8BF-53542EDB0981.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

26 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

That's ok, I'll check em for ya😊

I am clueless as to what is a "meaningful sense" versus say, a "non meaningful" sense, however last year(2021) Na was good for a 288.5 average, which ranked him at 170th on Tour.

Shilgs is usually spot on with his numbers, averages, etc., we just disagree on that strength of field bullsh*t😂😂

Anytime that I'm on the losing side of a logic based data driven argument, I call "bullsh*t," lolol🤪

Shilgs is much more mature than I, or so Madison tells me😜

Cheers🍻

RP

Are you calling me old dammit? 🤬

Oh, more mature than you…..yeah but it’s a low bar.

Good to see you back RP!🍻

Na hit his last drive at the Sony in the first round and carried it over 290 on a day he was really feeling it with his game. He’s certainly not a 255 guy lol.

• Like 1

Ok, to be specific…. And having seen Na playing in The Open a couple of times at the same times as Brooks, DJ etc….

If Na comes to my home course in the South of England (the country of Vardon and Taylor), let’s say in April (so not too hot, not too cold, 60 degrees), still day, sea level, couple of clouds, rained four days ago, humidity 80, parkland fairways….. so absolutely bang on average English conditions…..

he’s hitting it 255 yards, tops. 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Ok, to be specific…. And having seen Na playing in The Open a couple of times at the same times as Brooks, DJ etc….

If Na comes to my home course in the South of England (the country of Vardon and Taylor), let’s say in April (so not too hot, not too cold, 60 degrees), still day, sea level, couple of clouds, rained four days ago, humidity 80, parkland fairways….. so absolutely bang on average English conditions…..

Okey Dokey then😂😂

To be less specific...

WTF😜🤪???

I want you on my side of the table the next time that Shilgs tries to use data, logic and rational thought!!!

All we gotta do is, "be specific," which basically allows us to totally scratch a season's worth of 288.6 yard drives, and we'll smoke his simple *ss😝🤪

Thanks for responding, ya made my day😊!!

Fairways Greens & Two Fiddy Five Drives 4ever🏌🏻‍♂️👊

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Clearly you are in the camp that says these guys aren’t long they just get a lot of roll.😏

• Haha 1

Very insightful article and comments. Monty sounds like a focused professional, not necessarily an entertainer. Would have fit in well with the Pro's in past decades. But sorry just cannot read anything about him and still keep Feherty's "Mrs. Doubtfire" comments from causing a chuckle or two as I read....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, hammersia said:

Is humid air more or less dense then dry air?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Is humid air more or less dense then dry air?

The Rick Shiels videos would be a good example of humid English air and green course conditions with very little roll. And Na is a good 4mph behind RS in club head speed.

Ooh look DJ just hit it 420 yards, clue, it wasn’t in England….

look at that sucker bounce 

Edited by hammersia
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

The Rick Shiels videos would be a good example of humid English air and green course conditions with very little roll. And Na is a good 4mph behind RS in club head speed.

Ooh look DJ just hit it 420 yards, clue, it wasn’t in England….

look at that sucker bounce 

I loooooooooove this place😂😂😂

Obscene😝😜🤪

Cheers🍻

RP

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 6:21 PM, Haroputt said:

i like Monty's swing back in his prime  very flowing and consistent .

i tried to copy it , discuss with my coach years ago that in order to have that type of swing I had to 'sway' my head and wasn't for me .

Article makes him sound bitter  that the game evolved has beyond him

he's exactly right in his last comment, where are the Olazabals, the Faldo's, the Crenshaws, the Seve's, the Trevino's etc etc etc. all of whom swung and played in their own unique ways? Pro golf has become one dimensional, I'm not a pro am I bitter?

9 hours ago, WilliePPQ said:

Very insightful article and comments. Monty sounds like a focused professional, not necessarily an entertainer. Would have fit in well with the Pro's in past decades. But sorry just cannot read anything about him and still keep Feherty's "Mrs. Doubtfire" comments from causing a chuckle or two as I read....

I can't be bothered with Feherty, not a popular opinion I know. He was never fit to lace Monty's boots on a golf course, I thought was brilliant when Monty got him kicked out of the European team room at the Ryder Cup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

he's exactly right in his last comment, where are the Olazabals, the Faldo's, the Crenshaws, the Seve's, the Trevino's etc etc etc. all of whom swung and played in their own unique ways? Pro golf has become one dimensional, I'm not a pro am I bitter?

Don’t have to be a pro to be bitter    I hate how distance has become king and it’s a bomb and wedge show in the pga tour. 
There are aging players who accept the technology and manage to get better with their driver. It’s just a different game now. 
Unique swing are out there.  Matt Wolfe is an example. Bryson has his unique way.  The evolution for new golfers is focus on distance to compete 

1 hour ago, Haroputt said:

Don’t have to be a pro to be bitter    I hate how distance has become king and it’s a bomb and wedge show in the pga tour. 
There are aging players who accept the technology and manage to get better with their driver. It’s just a different game now. 
Unique swing are out there.  Matt Wolfe is an example. Bryson has his unique way.  The evolution for new golfers is focus on distance to compete 

and yet the answer is so simple

for pro's and amateurs in gross events, limit head size to 250cc or so. I want to see what Bryson and Wolff can do when they dont have near infinite forgiveness with the clubhead 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Colin Montgomery was one of the best ballstrikers of his time who never won a Major and that's something the media reminded him of over and over.  I think it was because of his ways on the course and with journalists, which were sometimes far from good.  So the guy kind of earned that reputation for the public.  But, unlike Faldo in England, people in Scotland love him.  I think Monty can be blunt sometimes, and a he was abit of a crybaby in his prime; but he's definitely smart and quickwitted like few pros on the booth.  And his iron game is every golfer's dream.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hammersia said:

https://projectgolfau.com/golf-balls-fly-farther-in-humidity/

"minimal effect"

I'm pretty smart, I know

But people always use it for an argument. Depends on how you launch it too. Just John Peterson talking about playing with Josh Becket about how he was 70 yards longer than they were down wind and 30 short into the wind because of launch.

2 hours ago, milesgiles said:

and yet the answer is so simple

for pro's and amateurs in gross events, limit head size to 250cc or so. I want to see what Bryson and Wolff can do when they dont have near infinite forgiveness with the clubhead 

There are many Bifurcation ideas.  Roll back the ball. Smaller head size.  Limit tee height.  Why not go back to wooden head.  Hickory shaft?  I think the govt bodies should have restricted the head size long ago. 
There is a generation of young players that have grew up never played with a driver less than 250cc

Edited by Haroputt