2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ZX7 vs Mizuno Pro 223

casey_0507

Just now, BallerNate said:

Bahaha…well said!! 🤣😎

I only say it cuz I do the same damm thing.  LOL

Question though, Nate, you prefer the ZX7 to the 785?  I loved the 785, played some really good golf with them but moved on them because of the 120 shaft.  Great feel, but at the same time had a very weird feel.... Head for head, do the ZX7 feel better to you?  

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Question though, Nate, you prefer the ZX7 to the 785?  I loved the 785, played some really good golf with them but moved on them because of the 120 shaft.  Great feel, but at the same time had a very weird feel.... Head for head, do the ZX7 feel better to you?  

I have both right now as I'm going through some tests on longer shafts. Both sets have TI X100. 

Imo, sound/feel is similar, with Z785 having a slightly higher pitch sound and ZX7 having a slightly more dull or muted sound.   Again both are close but that's what I hear. 

Z785 has a slightly longer blade length (maybe a mm or so) and has a noticeably narrower sole. 

• Like 1

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

Just now, casey_0507 said:

I have both right now as I'm going through some tests on longer shafts. Both sets have TI X100. 

Imo, sound/feel is similar, with Z785 having a slightly higher pitch sound and ZX7 having a slightly more dull or muted sound.   Again both are close but that's what I hear. 

Z785 has a slightly longer blade length (maybe a mm or so) and has a noticeably narrower sole. 

Thanks Casey.  I remember putting them next to each other in the store and not seeing much difference but it's been a while and at the time I owned the 785 so I never got into hitting the ZX7.  I currently own the 745 with Modus 105 and love the combo but I like how the newer 785 and ZX7 have a little more narrow sole, just makes them that much better through the turf...  I have some high hopes for my 0311T but if they don't pan out, I think I will be crawling back to Srixon.  I think I'd be just fine with the 785s again, too.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

2 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Thanks Casey.  I remember putting them next to each other in the store and not seeing much difference but it's been a while and at the time I owned the 785 so I never got into hitting the ZX7.  I currently own the 745 with Modus 105 and love the combo but I like how the newer 785 and ZX7 have a little more narrow sole, just makes them that much better through the turf...  I have some high hopes for my 0311T but if they don't pan out, I think I will be crawling back to Srixon.  I think I'd be just fine with the 785s again, too.

Both Z785 and ZX7 are great options. I think people debate on which is more forgiving but I'll be honest, I don't think there is much of any difference. Z785 maybe more audible/worse sounding on toe Mishits, but I never noticed performance differences. With slightly thinner sole some may find Z785 more forgiving for that reason and vice versa with slightly wider sole on ZX7. 

Will caveat the above that I stop at the 6 iron for both, so no experience with 4/5 irons in each. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

12 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Haha…no doubt!! Yeah, it’s a good feeling to have clubs that are so good you know it’s going to take something incredible to knock them out of the bag!

That’s a great question. Here are my thoughts on it:

-Looks: ZX7 by a lot…think they’re the slickest looking Irons I’ve probably ever seen

-Feel: Pretty close with a slight edge to the Z785. When you hit one pure with the Z785 there was no better feeling

-Accuracy: For some reason the Z785’s were straighter for me and incredibly accurate. The ZX7 I’ve found to be more fade biased for me which I’m trying to reel in

-Forgiveness: This is where ZX7 wins by a mile!!! I found the Z785 to be extremely punishing on mishits and my mishits went nowhere. With the ZX7 they are shockingly forgiving, especially on toe-hits and thinned shots.

Also found the vibration and kickback on the Z785 to be very painful in my hands and wrists whereas the ZX7 I feel like I could play twice a day for 6mths and have no pain at all.

Final verdict: With all that being said, the forgiveness and looks are the 2 biggest reasons I prefer the ZX7 over the Z785, but hoping I can get them to be as accurate and reel in the fade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Just now, BallerNate said:

Haha…no doubt!! Yeah, it’s a good feeling to have clubs that are so good you know it’s going to take something incredible to knock them out of the bag!

That’s a great question. Here are my thoughts on it:

-Looks: ZX7 by a lot…think they’re the slickest looking Irons I’ve probably ever seen

-Feel: Pretty close with a slight edge to the Z785. When you hit one pure with the Z785 there was no better feeling

-Accuracy: For some reason the Z785’s were straighter for me and incredibly accurate. The ZX7 I’ve found to be more fade biased for me which I’m trying to reel in

-Forgiveness: This is where ZX7 wins by a mile!!! I found the Z785 to be extremely punishing on mishits and my mishits went nowhere. With the ZX7 they are shockingly forgiving, especially on toe-hits and thinned shots.

Also found the vibration and kickback on the Z785 to be very painful in my hands and wrists whereas the ZX7 I feel like I could play twice a day for 6mths and have no pain at all.

Final verdict: With all that being said, the forgiveness and looks are the 2 biggest reasons I prefer the ZX7 over the Z785, but hoping I can get them to be as accurate and reel in the fade.

Interesting.  Thanks!  I know there has been talk of the forgings being different from the 785 to the ZX7, whereas the ZX7 is Endo and the 785 is not.  But I do agree, a flushed 785 felt incredible.  So does a 745 though, but they sit in the backup bag at the moment and I can't help but wonder if the ZX7 might just be enough of an upgrade over the older model.  

I sit here and ponder this as I have a set of 0311T with ONE round on them in the bag right now.  Never stop the ho'ing!!!  LOL   They seem to be good but I really like the sole design of the Srixon, it has always seemed to suit me.

• Haha 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

19 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Interesting.  Thanks!  I know there has been talk of the forgings being different from the 785 to the ZX7, whereas the ZX7 is Endo and the 785 is not.  But I do agree, a flushed 785 felt incredible.  So does a 745 though, but they sit in the backup bag at the moment and I can't help but wonder if the ZX7 might just be enough of an upgrade over the older model.  

I sit here and ponder this as I have a set of 0311T with ONE round on them in the bag right now.  Never stop the ho'ing!!!  LOL   They seem to be good but I really like the sole design of the Srixon, it has always seemed to suit me.

#ClubHoProblems 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

8 minutes ago, casey_0507 said:

Below are some pics of Z785/ZX7 7 irons and PW. 

00921EB7-73C1-477C-8404-15DF55089AD8.jpeg

AE13263B-AFEF-480B-ACE6-FC04A9C60A1A.jpeg

Almost impossible to tell.... Thanks for the pics!  Sorry to hijack BTW..

I don't know anything about the 223 but I do also currently own some MP20 MMC.  They are longer blade length than the Z745 and thinner top line.  Very forgiving tools I must say and feel nice, not quite Srixon nice to me, but very good.  I just don't get through the ground as well with Mizunos as I'd like at times, I think this is where the V Sole suits me.  But they are very good irons... blade length like a J15 CB with a narrower sole and a top line like the T100.  I will check out the new line but knowing the success I have had with the Srixons, I can't see choosing the Mizunos over them in the long run.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

22 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Almost impossible to tell.... Thanks for the pics!  Sorry to hijack BTW..

I don't know anything about the 223 but I do also currently own some MP20 MMC.  They are longer blade length than the Z745 and thinner top line.  Very forgiving tools I must say and feel nice, not quite Srixon nice to me, but very good.  I just don't get through the ground as well with Mizunos as I'd like at times, I think this is where the V Sole suits me.  But they are very good irons... blade length like a J15 CB with a narrower sole and a top line like the T100.  I will check out the new line but knowing the success I have had with the Srixons, I can't see choosing the Mizunos over them in the long run.

Yeah almost identical, ZX7 just has a slightly more squared up toe. 

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

he definitely fits right in, but what is wrong with us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

45 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

he definitely fits right in, but what is wrong with us?

Indeed!! What’s wrong with us is that we’re addicted to searching for and buying new equipment…it’s definitely a sickness and we have it!! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Hopefully when the 223 get released this week we will get some more information about the 223. A lot here have hit them and ordered them but until we get some in play review we can only speculate. 
Here in UNY it is going to be longer then this week until I can get out there. -14 yesterday 🥶

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NZ315 said:

Hopefully when the 223 get released this week we will get some more information about the 223. A lot here have hit them and ordered them but until we get some in play review we can only speculate. 
Here in UNY it is going to be longer then this week until I can get out there. -14 yesterday 🥶

Yeah, not a fair fight right now since most of us have had ZX7 for months, but only a few have hit or seen the Pro 223 in person.

Will be interesting to hear about results once the 223’s get some more time on the ranges and courses.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

10 hours ago, Ncgolfing said:

ZX7 for sure. I’m at about one year of gaming them and can say they are the best irons I’ve hit. And I tried a bunch before buying …

My only regret was doing 4 iron through 6 in Zx5. Should have done Zx7 all the way through. 

Going through this right now. Have zero issues with my ZX7 7-PW, but that ZX5 5 and 6 iron (especially the 6 for some reason) I catch just a little too heavy a little too often. There's plenty of forgiveness in the ZX7 7 iron, so I'm considering just ordering a couple more ZX7s and being done with it.

Not trying to hijack the thread either (I've got some 225s on the way) and I'm having second thoughts now about whether I should've gotten 223s instead of the 225s. I'll say, when I saw them in person, the 223s intimidated me in a way the ZX7s didn't. So maybe that's why I made the decision I did.

Either way, excited to see if these new Mizunos can stack up against the ZX7s.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore + 6S, 45.25"

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5° 3W / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 43"

TaylorMade Qi10 18° 5W & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Evnroll ER11vx / Gravity Grip 1.0 / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray

6 hours ago, over7par said:

Going through this right now. Have zero issues with my ZX7 7-PW, but that ZX5 5 and 6 iron (especially the 6 for some reason) I catch just a little too heavy a little too often. There's plenty of forgiveness in the ZX7 7 iron, so I'm considering just ordering a couple more ZX7s and being done with it.

Not trying to hijack the thread either (I've got some 225s on the way) and I'm having second thoughts now about whether I should've gotten 223s instead of the 225s. I'll say, when I saw them in person, the 223s intimidated me in a way the ZX7s didn't. So maybe that's why I made the decision I did.

The 223 won’t intimidate you after you swing it and hit some balls with it. I actually felt more confident with the 223 over the 921 forged and that is my current gamer. My swing is not on point right now either I am in hockey season mode until April

7 hours ago, over7par said:

Yeah, I had the same experience. Wasn’t a fan of the ZX5 6-iron and replaced it with a ZX7. Just have better turf interaction, consistency, and control with the ZX7 6i.

Thought about replacing the 5-iron with a ZX7 as well, but didn’t have as much of a problem with that club and wasn’t really worth the $ to change it.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I had the same experience. Wasn’t a fan of the ZX5 6-iron and replaced it with a ZX7. Just have better turf interaction, consistency, and control with the ZX7 6i.

Thought about replacing the 5-iron with a ZX7 as well, but didn’t have as much of a problem with that club and wasn’t really worth the $ to change it.

Zx7 6i might be my favorite iron in the bag.  It's been the best Ive hit a 6i consistently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, realmfg said:

Zx7 6i might be my favorite iron in the bag.  It's been the best Ive hit a 6i consistently.

Agreed…it’s an awesome club! Not as difficult to hit as most 6-irons…not intimidating at all.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

22 hours ago, littletimbo182 said:

I have zx7s with mmt 125 and t100 with s taper 125. Really want to add a set of mp 223 to compare to these and see which set makes the bag for 2022!

Srixon has felt a bit better to me than t100 and 223 when testing 7 irons, but not by a lot, and I haven't been able to hit any of them with the MMT or $ taper yet.  Are you in MMT 125 stiff or TX? How does it compare to the $ taper 125?

Trying to decide between ZX7/223/T100 and whether to stick with my current $ taper 130 or go for the 125TX soft stepped 1x. I have a fitting in a couple of weeks.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

59 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

Srixon has felt a bit better to me than t100 and 223 when testing 7 irons, but not by a lot, and I haven't been able to hit any of them with the MMT or $ taper yet.  Are you in MMT 125 stiff or TX? How does it compare to the $ taper 125?

Trying to decide between ZX7/223/T100 and whether to stick with my current $ taper 130 or go for the 125TX soft stepped 1x. I have a fitting in a couple of weeks.

So I just purchased the zx7 with mmt and they are the 125 tx so haven’t hit them yet. I’ve played the s taper in both 130 and 125 but feel like I enjoy shafts in the 125 weight best. Previous shaft I was playing was the project 6.5. 

I hit the ZX7, T100 and P770 yesterday at the outdoor range at Carl's. I loved ZX7 and T100; couldn't really pick a winner with just a few balls each. P770 was a distant 3rd. They didn't have the 223 available for demo, but I was told they are in the fitting bay. My fitting is on the 15th.

I'll either update with results here or start a new thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1puttTUT said:

I hit the ZX7, T100 and P770 yesterday at the outdoor range at Carl's. I loved ZX7 and T100; couldn't really pick a winner with just a few balls each. P770 was a distant 3rd. They didn't have the 223 available for demo, but I was told they are in the fitting bay. My fitting is on the 15th.

I'll either update with results here or start a new thread.

Yeah, the P770 is not on the same level as the ZX7 whatsoever. Too clicky and nowhere near the same level of feel and control.

I took a close look at the T100, T100s, and Pro 223 at my local shop yesterday and there’s just something about all 3 that don’t fit my eye. I found the T100 to be too thin and blade-like, the T100s to be too rounded on the back, and the Pro 223 to be too busy with too much writing on it.

Just personal preference. The irons that really caught my eye after finally seeing them in person were the P7MC, so will see if I can test those sometime and put them head-to-head vs my ZX7’s.

• Like 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

40 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, the P770 is not on the same level as the ZX7 whatsoever. Too clicky and nowhere near the same level of feel and control.

I took a close look at the T100, T100s, and Pro 223 at my local shop yesterday and there’s just something about all 3 that don’t fit my eye. I found the T100 to be too thin and blade-like, the T100s to be too rounded on the back, and the Pro 223 to be too busy with too much writing on it.

Just personal preference. The irons that really caught my eye after finally seeing them in person were the P7MC, so will see if I can test those sometime and put them head-to-head vs my ZX7’s.

You're leaning too far back if you see the writing while hitting the ball. 😁

• Haha 1

Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

13 minutes ago, casey_0507 said:

You're leaning too far back if you see the writing while hitting the ball. 😁

Hahaha…no doubt!

Here in Canada a set of Pro 223’s retail for $1,749.99 + tax ($2,102.49 total) though…so for that kind of coin I’d better love how they look from every angle!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX