2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ZX7 vs Mizuno Pro 223

casey_0507

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Thanks for the pics.

Definitely shorter blade length and shorter toe height in the Pro 223.

Interesting that from that camera angle it looks like slightly more offset and the top line actually looks thicker to me in the Pro 223.

I personally prefer the look of the ZX7, but obviously performance is the biggest factor at the end of the day.

as I looked back now its kind of a funny angle and pic bc of the rug. I took the pics this morning while rushing out the door for work. I must be a terrible picture taker bc the zx7 is for sure thicker

good catch on the offset. the 223 8i says .114'' offset (2.89mm) compared to zx7 8i at 2.4mm (.094")

Ive never hit the pro 223's to really know how they frame the ball yet. Blindly ordered them bc why not!

• Like 2

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

24 minutes ago, JStang said:

I haven't been able to get out lately but have hit the range a few times with my ZX7's. The top line is definitely thicker than I like to see. Can't wait for the 223's to get here. 

Ive played blades the last few years so the zx7's look like shovels right now lol. I know they're really not that thick in reality but I need to adjust to the look. First session with them was darn good... Having played z785's and z-forged im not shocked how well they performed

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

47 minutes ago, JoeFrigo said:

as I looked back now its kind of a funny angle and pic bc of the rug. I took the pics this morning while rushing out the door for work. I must be a terrible picture taker bc the zx7 is for sure thicker

good catch on the offset. the 223 8i says .114'' offset (2.89mm) compared to zx7 8i at 2.4mm (.094")

Ive never hit the pro 223's to really know how they frame the ball yet. Blindly ordered them bc why not!

Haha…yup, if you’ve got the money might as well spend in on Golf gear!!

I actually don’t mind the thicker top line on the ZX7, just gives me more confidence at address. The Pro 223 top line looked fine to me too, but the Titleist T100 and clubs with similar super thin top lines terrify me personally.

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Dropped by my fitter yesterday and was able to toy around with a few club/shaft combos. I hit both the 223 and ZX7, very interesting results. ZX7 felt a tad softer, but was less forgiving and man the V sole is just NOT a good fit for me. Caused me to de-loft even more than I currently do and I was launching the 6 iron at like 11 degrees. 223 fit my swing better, but I didn’t notice a huge difference in forgiveness between the two. All other numbers comparisons were kind of useless due to how I interacted with the v sole. 

that being said, the 223s did not beat out my p770s from a performance standpoint. Felt a little better, but not enough to make me switch. 

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

On 2/23/2022 at 11:46 AM, ScottHutch2 said:

Dropped by my fitter yesterday and was able to toy around with a few club/shaft combos. I hit both the 223 and ZX7, very interesting results. ZX7 felt a tad softer, but was less forgiving and man the V sole is just NOT a good fit for me. Caused me to de-loft even more than I currently do and I was launching the 6 iron at like 11 degrees. 223 fit my swing better, but I didn’t notice a huge difference in forgiveness between the two. All other numbers comparisons were kind of useless due to how I interacted with the v sole. 

that being said, the 223s did not beat out my p770s from a performance standpoint. Felt a little better, but not enough to make me switch. 

2020 P770 irons?  How was ballspeed, launch and overall distance compared to 223? I know you said that 223 didn't beat but maybe we're looking at different parameters......I'm desperate for long iron height and hoping the 46g tungsten would help me

On 2/11/2022 at 7:10 PM, azninoz said:

Seen a few comments here from Aus.

How do you guys get a fitting for Srixon in Melb? I don't really trust getting fitted by retail staff... yet.

Currently looking at ZX7 vs 223, but just seen there aren't any Srixon heads around anymore - bummer.

I get steep occasionally on bad days (-6 AoA) - do you guys think I could away with using 223 when playing around the sandbelt?

I currently game Apex Pros 21 and they're fine on bad days too.

When I bought my ZX7 I shipped them in from the US. I knew what shafts I wanted and there was no stock in Aus because of Covid. I’ve played the last 3 Srixon iron sets so it wasn’t a big risk for me.

If you want to get fit before you buy I would consider Cool Clubs. They’re based out at Derrimut now. I took my clubs there after I bought them for a loft/gapping session. They were great and it was very helpful.

Edited by anth

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

11 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

2020 P770 irons?  How was ballspeed, launch and overall distance compared to 223? I know you said that 223 didn't beat but maybe we're looking at different parameters......I'm desperate for long iron height and hoping the 46g tungsten would help me

Yea good question. 2020 P770 irons. I’m in a similar boat, need more launch and spin from my irons. Settled on Modus 130 shafts for help to that affect, but in comparing the two (223v770) the numbers were pretty similar iirc. I did not see a significant increase in launch, but did see a little more spin. I think if I were going in completely new, it could be a different convo on my preference, but the performance difference between the two was negligible enough for me to stick with what I currently have and feel very comfortable doing so. 

On 3/5/2022 at 10:23 PM, texcrom said:

I hit both the ZX7 and the 223 for comparison. 

I know feel is subjective, after only four balls with the ZX7 I moved to the 223.

To me, the Mizuno’s were immediately and easily the winner. As soft as any Mizuno I’ve ever played (a lot!), looked better, and were about seven yards longer with the same shaft.

Playing first round tomorrow. 

Any updates?

13 hours ago, easyyy said:

Any updates?

Yes sir!

As has happened several times before, it came down to Mizuno and Titleist, with the T100 (new version) winning. I just hit the T100 better!

Yesterday refreshed my wedges, moving from SM8’s to SM9’s, so looks like I am set for this year!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

On 2/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, 1puttTUT said:

I personally hated the feel of the P770, so much so that I didn't hit them for a 2nd time in my fitting. I'm sure they were probably longer and lower spin than the 223's due to the loft being stronger?

That's fine with me though because I need the extra spin!

Actually, the P770 lofts are weaker than the 223s. I don’t have my numbers from the fitting, both shafted w/modus 130 I saw similar launch and I think 223s spun a tiny bit more. Maybe 200rpms, nothing crazy. 223s were softer, but not enough for me to switch. I’m not big on soft tbh so your opinion there may vary. The 770s were more forgiving across the face imo. both 223 and 770 performed miles better than the zx7 for me personally 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:46 AM, ScottHutch2 said:

Except 770 2020 version are probably the worst feeling of any of the new TM offerings in the P series

1 hour ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Except 770 2020 version are probably the worst feeling of any of the new TM offerings in the P series

You were really bursting at the seams to get that take off, huh? 

Edited by ScottHutch2

5 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

You were really bursting at the seams to get that take off huh?

Not at all - they feel and perform like crap especially in that category of club. Unless clicky and slow are your thing.

Also glad you also took the time to add an emoji after your lousy take.

Edited by Brooks_Cupcake
  • Like 2

Just now, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Not at all - they feel and perform like crap especially in that category of club. Unless clicky and slow are your thing.

You are irrationally angry lol. Clicky? Quite possible. Slow? Not in my experience. But hey, opinions are like a**holes, some are more full of 💩  than others. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScottHutch2 said:

You are irrationally angry lol. Clicky? Quite possible. Slow? Not in my experience. But hey, opinions are like a**holes, some are more full of 💩  than others. 

Sorry man, I’m not sure I follow your thoughts here. Enjoy your clubs, and let me know when they help you break par.

Edited by Brooks_Cupcake

Just now, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Sorry man, I’m not sure I follow your thoughts here. Enjoy your clubs, and let me know when they help you break par.

Yea when I break par again I’ll be sure to think of you mr. Random internet man! Stand by. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ScottHutch2 said:

Actually, the P770 lofts are weaker than the 223s. I don’t have my numbers from the fitting, both shafted w/modus 130 I saw similar launch and I think 223s spun a tiny bit more. Maybe 200rpms, nothing crazy. 223s were softer, but not enough for me to switch. I’m not big on soft tbh so your opinion there may vary. The 770s were more forgiving across the face imo. both 223 and 770 performed miles better than the zx7 for me personally 

My experiences was similar to yours.  

770 was forgiving and staight.  Reminded me of a ping i210 except with lower spin and higher ball speed. Flew a club and a half longer than i210

223 was buttery soft and slightly less forgiving, but felt a ton better.  One club longer than i210.

zx7 we’re harder for me to figure out. Most shots felt thin to win.  Soft, lower flight and spin when hit well.

that being said, I ended up in some cally x forged cb’s which beat all of the above for me.

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Like 1

Still don’t have my 223’s but I reshafted my ZX7’s with X100’s yesterday and took them in today to have them bent a degree weak. They were just too long for me at standard loft.

This should put them in the ideal spot and I like the look of the slightly reduced offset. 

Edited by JStang

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I cant say enough about the zx7's. Been challenging them for over a year to find another iron to get excited about. So soft and good performers. I love to tinker with different irons but those zx7's make it difficult. V-sole is just awesome. Love the shape and top line as well.

Looking at the 223's as a possible option but not sure. I will continue to hover in this and like threads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, easyyy said:

I cant say enough about the zx7's. Been challenging them for over a year to find another iron to get excited about. So soft and good performers. I love to tinker with different irons but those zx7's make it difficult. V-sole is just awesome. Love the shape and top line as well.

Looking at the 223's as a possible option but not sure. I will continue to hover in this and like threads.

I feel the same. I’ve been eyeing the 223’s, but my zx7’s are just so good. 

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

12 hours ago, easyyy said:

Have a look at the Proto Concept C03 and C05's

I had my member / guest this weekend so got a lot of golf in! The ZX7's are going to be hard to beat. They performed really well on toe strikes and the long irons are as easy to hit as I could ask for in an iron of this size. The one degree weak loft seemed to put them in a perfect spot for me as I was hitting my expected number more often than not. 

I'm checking on the status of my 223 order but if they are pushed out another month or so, I'm just cancelling and rolling with the ZX7's. 

• Like 1

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

On 3/5/2022 at 7:23 PM, texcrom said:

I hit both the ZX7 and the 223 for comparison. 

I know feel is subjective, after only four balls with the ZX7 I moved to the 223.

To me, the Mizuno’s were immediately and easily the winner. As soft as any Mizuno I’ve ever played (a lot!), looked better, and were about seven yards longer with the same shaft.

Playing first round tomorrow. 

i agree. i love my 223’s and they are soft as butter

• Like 1

I’m interested in testing the 223’s as well.  Loved the mp20 mmc during my testing last year and was very very close to being the ones.  However, the zx7’s won and they will be really hard to beat out.  

The zx7’s get a touch less spin, but they also allow me to play my ball of choice.  Launch angle and decent angle are spot on.  Fantastic feel and more forgiving than this style of iron should be.  Especially on thin and toe strikes.  Never had an issue stopping the ball on the greens.

Either way anyone chooses to go, they will have a brilliant set of irons.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

On 3/12/2022 at 5:27 PM, Pnwpingi210 said:

My experiences was similar to yours.  

770 was forgiving and staight.  Reminded me of a ping i210 except with lower spin and higher ball speed. Flew a club and a half longer than i210

223 was buttery soft and slightly less forgiving, but felt a ton better.  One club longer than i210.

zx7 we’re harder for me to figure out. Most shots felt thin to win.  Soft, lower flight and spin when hit well.

that being said, I ended up in some cally x forged cb’s which beat all of the above for me.

The X-Forge CB are fantastic performers - just complete clubs and after mizzuno - are the next best feeling irons I have ever hit. Surprisingly long as well. 

my curiosity is getting the best of me and I am trialing the whole Miz pro line - no idea why though - the XFCB leave little to be desired.