2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ZX7 vs Mizuno Pro 223

casey_0507

22 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

i compared the Modus 130, 120 and 105. I loved the 105, liked the 130, and hated the 120. 

The 120 were just awful for me. Good Luck from one shaft ho to the other

Bahaha…jeez, hate’s a strong word!!

Yeah, we’ll see….verdict is still out for me on the Modus 120’s. Have to give them more time once the snow melts.

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

u bought 91 clubs last year, how many did u hate?

• Haha 2

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

2 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

I just compared the specs of the 223s and ZX7s, and noticed both sets have identical lofts. However, I don't recall ever hearing about gapping issues with ZX7s.

Maybe we're jumping to conclusions, or maybe the Mizuno tech is more impactful than the tungsten toe weight in the ZX7s? 

remember that tech is only in the 4-7 in the 223. 8-PW changes to a full forged head, or at least uses the micro pocket whatever it is. 

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

u bought 91 clubs last year, how many did u hate?

🤣🤣🤣
argue wife swap GIF by Paramount Network

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Both are really good but I prefer the looks and feel of the ZX7's

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

On 1/26/2022 at 6:34 AM, oneaugusta said:

Both are really good but I prefer the looks and feel of the ZX7's

Yeah, I’m going to try and test the Pro 223 when I get a chance. 

Based on looks alone though, I much prefer the design of the ZX7’s, but if the Mizzy’s performed better I could obviously get over that quickly.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 1/25/2022 at 8:56 PM, BallerNate said:

Bahaha…jeez, hate’s a strong word!!

Yeah, we’ll see….verdict is still out for me on the Modus 120’s. Have to give them more time once the snow melts.

Modus 120s are very polarizing. You'll either love them or hate them right away. They're good shafts but they either work with your timing or they don't. 

Edited by Canyonaro
Typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I’m going to try and test the Pro 223 when I get a chance. 

Based on looks alone though, I much prefer the design of the ZX7’s, but if the Mizzy’s performed better I could obviously get over that quickly.

u seriously need to get off this site, u love the x7 why are you trying out anything else? we have issues

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Canyonaro said:

Modus 120s are very polarizing. You'll either love them or hate them right away. They're good shafts but they either work with your dining or they don't. 

For sure.

To be totally fair, I flipped my Z785’s with Modus 120’s after less than 2mths, and only picked up my ZX5/ZX7 combo set with Modus 120 in September just before the end of the season, so it’s really too early to say what type of fit they are for me.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 minute ago, BallerNate said:

For sure.

To be totally fair, I flipped my Z785’s with Modus 120’s after less than 2mths, and only picked up my ZX5/ZX7 combo set with Modus 120 in September just before the end of the season, so it’s really too early to say what type of fit they are for me.

i still have my 765 and love them, only have tried out the zx5, need to get a zx7 to try out in the spring. Hopefully u love the zx7 and can get off the iron search pages

18 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

u seriously need to get off this site, u love the x7 why are you trying out anything else? we have issues

Bahaha…agreed, we have major issues!! 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve done a lot of flirting with different Irons and clubs this Off-season, but I’ve actually done a pretty good job of keeping my bag intact.

As of now, the only clubs I’ve changed this Winter are my Driver and 3-Wood to give the new Stealth Plus a shot, and ordered a ZX4 4-iron w/ UST ES 780 graphite shaft to try as a Driving Iron. So for someone who bought 93 clubs last year, that’s a massive improvement!!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

11 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Starting out 2022 with a bang Baller! How many you gonna get this year. I fight the urge all the time. I break down and something every year but man nothing like you dude!! Lol

I’ve been fighting off the urges really hard this Winter after not fighting them at all in 2021, Lol!

Ideally I’m going to try and keep my bag intact until the end of the 2022 season and then re-evaluate and make decisions on changes at that point. But obviously that’s easier said then done, and I also have a $260 credit at my local golf shop which will be tempting me and burning a hole in my pocket all season, Lol!! 😬

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I love that the 223s are usurping the ZX7s as the coolest/sexiest players cavity. Sorry for all the ZX7 players but Mizuno is back on top! 

I was literally 🤏 this close to buying ZX7s, ditching my MP4s and moving away from Mizuno for the first time in a decade. That’s how enticing those 7s are. Luckily in the Knick of time Mizzy dropped the goodness and blew me away! I went in drooling over the 225s and walked out with 223s. I really think the sole on the 223s is special, obviously night and day vs the 7s, but they really feel like MP-H4 level of forgiveness.

G400 LST 8.5* Ventus Blue 6x 🐐 
OG M2 16.5* Speeder 757s

OG Apex 18* KK 80s
223 4-G KBS Tour 120s
RTX ZC 56.12 / 60.09 ff DG Spinner

FTP SM1 0* loft / 400g / SS GT 1.0 

1 hour ago, DaRiz said:

I love that the 223s are usurping the ZX7s as the coolest/sexiest players cavity. Sorry for all the ZX7 players but Mizuno is back on top! 

I was literally 🤏 this close to buying ZX7s, ditching my MP4s and moving away from Mizuno for the first time in a decade. That’s how enticing those 7s are. Luckily in the Knick of time Mizzy dropped the goodness and blew me away! I went in drooling over the 225s and walked out with 223s. I really think the sole on the 223s is special, obviously night and day vs the 7s, but they really feel like MP-H4 level of forgiveness.

What do you like about the 223 sole?

9 hours ago, DaRiz said:

lololol, usurping may be on the dramatic side. Sheer looks and bag appeal, zx7 all day. Haven't hit the 223 so I can't compare performance but they do look better than my MP-20 MMC's. 

• Like 3

Driver - AI Smoke Triple Diamond, Tensei 1k Blue 6tx

3 Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max, Tensei AV Blue 75x

2 Iron - Titleist U505, Graphite Design AD-DI 8x

4-PW - T150, Project X 6.5

50 Degree - SM10 50.12F, Project X 6.5

54 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, mid bounce, Project X wedge 6.5

58 Degree - RTX6 Zipcore, low bounce, TI s400

Putter - Custom shop 2022 Phantom 5.5

2023 Pro V1

1 hour ago, BigtimeHC said:

lololol, usurping may be on the dramatic side. Sheer looks and bag appeal, zx7 all day. Haven't hit the 223 so I can't compare performance but they do look better than my MP-20 MMC's. 

Yeah, I find the ZX7 a lot more appealing to my eye than the 223 as well for sure.

For me the biggest drawback is the script that they used on the back for the Mizuno Pro and the design of the cavity on the 223 isn’t as slick.

That being said though, if they out-performed the ZX7 for me I would buy them no problem and get over it quickly.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

26 minutes ago, DaRiz said:

It plays wider than it is. It plays like a wide body sole, but looks normal in the bag, I think it is the way they bevel the trailing edge away 

In the bag yeah I actually agree. Those 7s are some of the best looking CBs of all time. At address the 223s are better, but as a new 223 owner it is my duty to hype them up as the new GOAT

would agree the 223 proportions at address look better. This was for 7 iron only though. Be curious to see the short irons from address as I think the ZX7 shape there is awesome. 

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

1 hour ago, casey_0507 said:

would agree the 223 proportions at address look better. This was for 7 iron only though. Be curious to see the short irons from address as I think the ZX7 shape there is awesome. 

I got to try most and look at them all. The short irons are pretty damn nice too!! Fingers crossed until they come in

1 hour ago, DaRiz said:

In the bag yeah I actually agree. Those 7s are some of the best looking CBs of all time. At address the 223s are better, but as a new 223 owner it is my duty to hype them up as the new GOAT

Yeah, to be fair I haven’t seen the 223’s in person, only seen pictures.

Looking forward to seeing them in person and hopefully testing them out at some point though.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

Just switched back to my ZX7/ZX5 combo from the Mizuno Pro 223. Not sure if it’s the shaft or head but the 223’s peak height looks way low compared to the ZX7. Also switching back I instantly felt the benefit of the VT sole for my swing. Slight fat shots are unbelievably  forgiving. 

So far not liking the Modus 115 on the 223s. It just feels weird to me and I can’t really figure out why. 

223 looks seriously good in the bag though. I much prefer the look of the MIzzy. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, llaw999 said:

Just switched back to my ZX7/ZX5 combo from the Mizuno Pro 223. Not sure if it’s the shaft or head but the 223’s peak height looks way low compared to the ZX7. Also switching back I instantly felt the benefit of the VT sole for my swing. Slight fat shots are unbelievably  forgiving. 

So far not liking the Modus 115 on the 223s. It just feels weird to me and I can’t really figure out why. 

223 looks seriously good in the bag though. I much prefer the look of the MIzzy. 

Good to know, thanks for the update. What shafts do you have in your ZX5/ZX7 combo set?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I just went through a fitting process with the ZX7.   My back-up plan was if the Zx7 wasn't to my liking then I was going to try the Mizuno 223.  Played Mizuno Mp-57's in the past.   I currently have the 718 AP2's in AMT White S300.  I really like my AP2's but I-m getting older (62) and I labor with AMT's at the end of a round.  So for me, I wanted to lighten up my shaft.  Unless someone compares the two heads with the same shaft you like, it's really difficult to know if you will like the club head.   You could spend hours researching opinions.

Here's how my fitting went.  Demo day outside on grass (so important - as least to me).  I'm a little steep with my AoA.  All shafts on a 7 iron.  The feedback with each shaft was different to some degree.

Nippon 105, 115, 120 in S & X

Project X LZ 5.5, 6.0 is S

AMT White S300

DG 105, 115, 120 all in S

MMT is S

KBS - fitter told me you would be wasting my time with my swing and preference.  I've hit the tours and c-taper in the past and didn't like them.

In the end, Nippon X's were too stiff.   All the DG's were similar in distance and dispersion (a little too much spin).   The LZ 6.0 was too stiff. The LZ 5.5 was nice, however no better than my AMT white.  The MMT was like hitting a 2x4.   

In the end I picked the 105 is S.  This shaft just wants to go straight, and the shaft is  smooth.   Very nice launch angle and a penetrating flight.  However, I could fade or draw the ball with the ZX7 when I want.  Yesterday was my first range session.  I'm picking up 1.5 clubs in distance.  I know the lofts are longer in the ZX7 - My  Srixon A wedge was three yards longer than my AP2 pitching wedge (bent 50 vs 46 degrees). With the Nippon 105 I picked up distance, better dispersion, and improved consistency.   The ZX7's were marginally softer and marginally less clicky than the AP2's.  Turf interaction on the XZ7's is incredible.

My first range session the ZX7's proved I made the correct decision.   With the Nippon shaft the combination is fantastic.   The discount I got on the clubs were too good to pass on.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Stooopppppppp.  He fits right in.  Everyone knows around here that once you find something you love, it's time to try something else, just in case there is MORE love to be had.... LOL

Bahaha…well said!! 🤣😎

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX