2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ZX7 vs Mizuno Pro 223

casey_0507

4 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Hahaha…no doubt!

Here in Canada a set of Pro 223’s retail for $1,749.99 + tax ($2,102.49 total) though…so for that kind of coin I’d better love how they look from every angle!

Fair enough. As long as they aren't Nike slingshot and cobra bio cell bad, looks don't bother me too much

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

42 minutes ago, casey_0507 said:

Fair enough. As long as they aren't Nike slingshot and cobra bio cell bad, looks don't bother me too much

I get it. I’m probably pickier than most people about how my clubs look. 

I’m pretty meticulous with my equipment...usually clean my clubs with Mr. Clean and paper towel after almost every round, and just love the look of a beautiful well-crafted club. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 1/29/2022 at 1:58 AM, llaw999 said:

Just switched back to my ZX7/ZX5 combo from the Mizuno Pro 223. Not sure if it’s the shaft or head but the 223’s peak height looks way low compared to the ZX7. Also switching back I instantly felt the benefit of the VT sole for my swing. Slight fat shots are unbelievably  forgiving. 

So far not liking the Modus 115 on the 223s. It just feels weird to me and I can’t really figure out why. 

223 looks seriously good in the bag though. I much prefer the look of the MIzzy. 

I'm playing PXG 0311Ts in my short irons but I got a CBX2 50 degree just to try the v-sole. Can confirm your comment. In anything but the softest conditions, I can recklessly slam the club into the turf and nothing bad will happen. It's wild. Definitely has me interested in Srixon irons now. My PXGs feel awesome but the T isn't all that forgiving. My good is really good with them but my bad is pretty lousy. 

I need to get off this site before it costs me any more money. Drooling over five different sets of irons right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Canyonaro said:

I'm playing PXG 0311Ts in my short irons but I got a CBX2 50 degree just to try the v-sole. Can confirm your comment. In anything but the softest conditions, I can recklessly slam the club into the turf and nothing bad will happen. It's wild. Definitely has me interested in Srixon irons now. My PXGs feel awesome but the T isn't all that forgiving. My good is really good with them but my bad is pretty lousy. 

I need to get off this site before it costs me any more money. Drooling over five different sets of irons right now. 

🤣🤣🤣 Pull the trigger!!

• Haha 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

12 hours ago, BallerNate said:

I get it. I’m probably pickier than most people about how my clubs look. 

I’m pretty meticulous with my equipment...usually clean my clubs with Mr. Clean and paper towel after almost every round, and just love the look of a beautiful well-crafted club. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I am pretty damn picky too. Clean the clubs after every round and even use Mother’s Mag Aluminum polish on the irons and ceramic coating on the driver and wood

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canyonaro said:

I have a golf trip with some old buddies coming up & they're going to abuse the hell out of me if I show up with new irons for a third year in a row. 😭

Just messing with you. You have to do what’s best for you and play the clubs that work best for your game!

The ZX7’s are so freaking good though, I definitely recommend testing them out at least if you can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

12 minutes ago, JStang said:

Well, I sold my T100’s and ordered 223’s. Oh, I also have a set of ZX7’s inbound as well. The last time I was happy with my iron game was with the ZX7’s and foolishly sold them.

Looking forward to a head to head when the 223’s get here. That is of course, if I don’t fall in love with the ZX7’s again. 

please come back here with comments. The t100s, ZX7, and 223 or are on my short list of irons to try out

1 hour ago, AC810 said:

please come back here with comments. The t100s, ZX7, and 223 or are on my short list of irons to try out

I actually owned ZX7s for 7 months and thought I wouldn’t be able to get rid of them but the blade length just never looked all that attractive to me. Then Saturday I was at GG and ended up hitting the 223, ‘21 t100s, Zx7 and i59. All modus 120x(current gamer)

t100s- for whatever reason just didn’t like how thin it was, which is crazy because I love the ‘19 t100s. But the couldn’t even begin to find the center

223- really nothing all that special about these they’re just a really good mizuno iron nothing more nothing less

zx7- were my gamers, like I said I struggled with the blade length and for whatever reason finding the proper lie never seemed like it felt flush no matter how flat I bent them. But the feel was great and my numbers were always good. Soft but explosive feel off the face and forgiving

i59- shelf appeal wise was the only reason I picked these up, they’re so dang good looking. But when I hit them? Holy smokes was I blown away. The feel for me was something I was secretly looking for a forged feel with tons of tech behind it. 

For me it came down to looks between the Zx7 and i59, the more compact head and extra grooves really suited my eye better. Different feels, but performed the exact same. 

Thats just my .02 

• Like 3

223's are DOUBLE the price of ZX7's in Australia, so over here unless you are made of money the comparison is not even worth making.

ZX7 is an absolute bargain here for some reason. Undercuts every other major brand iron by a long way. 

• Like 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

7 hours ago, bombs said:

223's are DOUBLE the price of ZX7's in Australia, so over here unless you are made of money the comparison is not even worth making.

ZX7 is an absolute bargain here for some reason. Undercuts every other major brand iron by a long way. 

Wow. Both great clubs but if Srixon is 50 percent less in cost, that’s hard to resist. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

7 hours ago, bombs said:

Oh really? Wow, here in Canada the ZX7 is still around the same price as the Pro 223.

They must not have sold as well there in AUS if there’s been such a huge price drop.

That would make it an extremely easy decision to buy Srixon for sure…that’s amazing for you guys!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Oh really? Wow, here in Canada the ZX7 is still around the same price as the Pro 223.

They must not have sold as well there in AUS if there’s been such a huge price drop.

That would make it an extremely easy decision to buy Srixon for sure…that’s amazing for you guys!

It’s the opposite actually. There is about three months waiting time due to high demand in ZX7 combined with supply chain issues like most of the other OEMs. (Usually lacking shafts) Yet the pricing is much lower than the other OEMs.

Srixon balls seemed to have also picked up in popularity as I find a lot of Z Star lost balls. 

No brainer here in Australia. Quality product at a cheaper pricing. ZX7 all the way.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

37 minutes ago, hypergolf said:

It’s the opposite actually. There is about three months waiting time due to high demand in ZX7 combined with supply chain issues like most of the other OEMs. (Usually lacking shafts) Yet the pricing is much lower than the other OEMs.

Srixon balls seemed to have also picked up in popularity as I find a lot of Z Star lost balls. 

No brainer here in Australia. Quality product at a cheaper pricing. ZX7 all the way.

Gotcha. Yeah, the 3mth wait sucks, but otherwise that’s a no-brainer at 50% of the cost for sure!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 2/6/2022 at 11:30 PM, Tommyboi95 said:

I actually owned ZX7s for 7 months and thought I wouldn’t be able to get rid of them but the blade length just never looked all that attractive to me. Then Saturday I was at GG and ended up hitting the 223, ‘21 t100s, Zx7 and i59. All modus 120x(current gamer)

t100s- for whatever reason just didn’t like how thin it was, which is crazy because I love the ‘19 t100s. But the couldn’t even begin to find the center

223- really nothing all that special about these they’re just a really good mizuno iron nothing more nothing less

zx7- were my gamers, like I said I struggled with the blade length and for whatever reason finding the proper lie never seemed like it felt flush no matter how flat I bent them. But the feel was great and my numbers were always good. Soft but explosive feel off the face and forgiving

i59- shelf appeal wise was the only reason I picked these up, they’re so dang good looking. But when I hit them? Holy smokes was I blown away. The feel for me was something I was secretly looking for a forged feel with tons of tech behind it. 

For me it came down to looks between the Zx7 and i59, the more compact head and extra grooves really suited my eye better. Different feels, but performed the exact same. 

Thats just my .02 

Thank you for the input. I59 really hadn’t been on my radar mainly due to the price, but I’ll give these a go too!

17 minutes ago, AC810 said:

Thank you for the input. I59 really hadn’t been on my radar mainly due to the price, but I’ll give these a go too!

Yeah definitely a bit steep on price, I was lucky enough to grab a set off here for the low but was really blown away when I hit them. 

On 2/7/2022 at 3:52 PM, bombs said:

Are they in stock anywhere? Wanted to swap my long irons from 5's to 7's but cannot find anywhere with them in stock.

Got to see the 223 in person the other day.  They are nice, like mostly every Mizuno ever, but they do look smaller than the ZX7.  Since I seem to have forgotten how to hit a golf ball lately, I'd opt for what looks like more help in the ZX7.  I will add that the ZX5 looks so good as well, from address, I can barely tell the difference.  

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Curious about this as well. Long time MP-60, now MP-66 user, steep/digger, -7 AOA isn't out of the ordinary. The V-sole is intriguing, though weather allows only indoor fitting at the moment. I'd like to try the ZX7 in both soft and firm conditions. Not expecting thin dollar bill divots all of a sudden, but interested to hear other diggers' transitions from Mizuno to Srixon. Or to Miura which seems to have a little bit of leading edge relief compared to Mizuno.

54 minutes ago, Dhold21 said:

I am shallow and I am on the fence as to

what set to get. Seems like I should go 223

I had a set of ZX7’s and as a shallow player they didn’t work out for me. Way too many iron shots out of the bottom grooves 

• Like 2

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

I went to a fitting today to try and find a club that would offer more forgiveness than my current MP4s. I went in expecting to place an order for MP223s. 

Below is a brief summary on the heads I hit:

MP223: great looking head. Feels great but the wider sole did not work for me. Fitter said he could hear it dragging. 

ZX7: I went knowing this wouldn’t be ideal for my swing and the fitting confirmed. I previously owned Hogan PTX Pros and I had the same experience. I’m just not steep enough. 

i59: sharp looking club. But didn’t care for the feel. I’m not anti Ping - I play their wedges and ordered a Ping hybrid. 

T100S: I like the head but the results were not beating my MP4s. 

T100: Love the head, feel and turf interaction. They were about even with the MP4s and it didn’t make sense buying them for no gain. 

Mizuno JPX Tour: best of the bunch I hit and offered a bit more forgiveness but the end result still couldn’t knock the MP4s out of the bag. 

No new irons for me. 

• Like 2

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

On 2/10/2022 at 7:51 AM, Caesar's shank said:

Are they in stock anywhere? Wanted to swap my long irons from 5's to 7's but cannot find anywhere with them in stock.

Yeah most AUS retailers have stock.

Custom orders though..? Forget about it. Srixon got ZERO heads. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7