2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Turbulators: Mount Up (G400 Max)

Meerkat213

gamed the G400 Max since it came out and I love it but I find myself trying to resist the allure of something new and shiny.  currently lusting after the Cobra LTDx because of the ability to dial in a bit of draw bias which holds some attraction to me.  hit the Max either straight or more often than not with a bit of fade.

Maybe I should just by a new putter or driving iron to scratch that itch and wait until next year when Ping release their new driver line up.  

On 1/29/2022 at 4:21 PM, Mookieb10 said:

Here, here. But for some reason the 9* that I have in Florida isn’t as compliant as the 10.5 from back north. Still, awesome club. 

TeamTurb

I am notorious for hitting my driver incredibly high, so I have always tried to play at 9 degree loft to get more distance/lower cutting flight. I cranked my G400 up to 10.5 degree to help with my slicing/open face problem and holy crap could you tell a difference.

My slices turned to little fades but I still hit them a mile into the sky. I would love to know what its like to hit a lower penetrating drive that carries 260 and rolls 20-30 yards

36 minutes ago, this_is_golf said:

I’ve been looking at some used G400 Max drivers on 2nd Swing, should I make the jump? I currently have a second gen M2. What benefits could I see?

I came from a TM RBZ driver to the G400 and the first thing (outside of quality) you could tell is how forgiving the driver is. You dont need to hit it in the center of the face every single swing to hit fairways. It also has a pretty high launch to it if you have trouble getting the ball up into the air.

The other thing is, this club is the epitome of 'let the club do the work'. You dont need to swing out of your shoes trying to blast it 300, put a nice 80% smooth swing on it and let the club do the rest--it will FLY and you will hit a ton of fairways.

I can carry 255-265 and hit fairways all over the place by just swinging 80%. If I want to try to go full gusto and swing 110% I can hit it 295-310

Edited by akronswitness
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see so many people loving this driver. I don't know why, but I just never got on with it on the demo day. It felt like I was swinging a sledgehammer and even on a pure center strike I didn't get nearly the amount of distance out of it that I got out of my M4.

Titleist TSR2 [email protected]* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

On 1/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Meerkat213 said:
This is the time of the year when we (Team G400 Max) gets inundated with the newest version of OEM's drivers and the small (if any) incremental gains to be had.  Just remember: the G400 Max is a GOAT-type driver that most OEMs (including PING) would be thrilled to roll out in 2022 if they could.  That is all. 

Turbulators, Mount Up.  

69.2% of fairways hit…average dispersion of 13 yards…..I might give up my wife and children before I give up my G400!!! 😱

Edited by Sparty4202
  • Driver - Ping G400 Max 10.5 
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Titliest 818 23* Tensi Red R 
  • Iron - Srixon U85 23* @ 24* UST Recoil 95 f3
  • Irons - Ping i210 6-PW UST Recoil 95 f3 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 52* @51* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

5 hours ago, sneaky_pete said:

gamed the G400 Max since it came out and I love it but I find myself trying to resist the allure of something new and shiny.  currently lusting after the Cobra LTDx because of the ability to dial in a bit of draw bias which holds some attraction to me.  hit the Max either straight or more often than not with a bit of fade.

Maybe I should just by a new putter or driving iron to scratch that itch and wait until next year when Ping release their new driver line up.  

Get a putter, those things need another one looking over their putter cover.

You know the G400 Max is not replaceable until next year at the earliest.👍

1 hour ago, BraxtonFullerton said:

Nice to see so many people loving this driver. I don't know why, but I just never got on with it on the demo day. It felt like I was swinging a sledgehammer and even on a pure center strike I didn't get nearly the amount of distance out of it that I got out of my M4.

I dont think distance if the main selling point of the G400. It goes plenty far but what makes everybody love it is the complete package. Its forgiveness combined with distance and consistency is what people love about it. 

Sure there are longer drivers that will get you 10-15 more yards, but I dont think drivers like the SIM or Mavrik can match the forgiveness or consistency that the Ping 'G series' drivers bring.

The one thing I learned about anything Taylormade is that they are not forgiving clubs. Any of them. If you dont hit the ball in the 'speed slot' then that thing is flying 2 fairways over. What I love about the G400 is that when I hit it off the toe or inside, the ball simply fades into the rough, it doesnt spin off the face of the earth like my old TM driver did.

Plus, distance isnt the name of the game for most amature golfers, consistency is. I would rather be 265 in the fairway over 285 in the trees. That 10-20 yard difference in my drives isnt going to change my score if all it means is Im hitting a 6i on my approach shot rather than a 7i

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, this_is_golf said:

I’ve been looking at some used G400 Max drivers on 2nd Swing, should I make the jump? I currently have a second gen M2. What benefits could I see?

I actually like that M2 driver, underrated in my experience. Remember testing it against my G400, just not quite the fairway finder like the G400.

If you have a solid, repeatable swing any driver should work up out in the past 5 years. Find the right shaft is the key.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 11:36 AM, Meerkat213 said:
This is the time of the year when we (Team G400 Max) gets inundated with the newest version of OEM's drivers and the small (if any) incremental gains to be had.  Just remember: the G400 Max is a GOAT-type driver that most OEMs (including PING) would be thrilled to roll out in 2022 if they could.  That is all. 

Turbulators, Mount Up.  

G400 Max 10.5 reg flex. Also have the Distanza shaft as my swing speed at start of season is more SR level.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR (adapter at +1.5°)

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

Cleveland Launcher XL 7-DW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel/Callaway Supersoft

I think if you can find a shaft that works for you, the G400 Max will be tough to beat day in, day out.  I never got along with the CB Alta shaft but once I put the Tour shaft in there...it really pulled away from my other driver: the 2016 M2.  Don't get me wrong, I love the M2 and, occasionally, I will hit some bombs with that driver that go further than how far a ~100 mph swing should go.  But the 400 Max just seems to work well with my swing even when I'm not hitting it that great.  One of my buddies has the 425 Max and I hit it almost exactly the same distance but I'm just not a huge fan of the sound coming off of the 425.  

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

31 minutes ago, Meerkat213 said:

I think if you can find a shaft that works for you, the G400 Max will be tough to beat day in, day out.  I never got along with the CB Alta shaft but once I put the Tour shaft in there...it really pulled away from my other driver: the 2016 M2.  Don't get me wrong, I love the M2 and, occasionally, I will hit some bombs with that driver that go further than how far a ~100 mph swing should go.  But the 400 Max just seems to work well with my swing even when I'm not hitting it that great.  One of my buddies has the 425 Max and I hit it almost exactly the same distance but I'm just not a huge fan of the sound coming off of the 425.  

I put the Hzrdus Black stiff shaft on mine and it changed my life.

10 minutes ago, 9ironiscash said:

What’s your SS? I love my ping tour but even with the head at 8 degrees I still hit it a bit too high. 

Have never went to a similator to know the exact number but if I were to guess it would be around 105 give or take.

I have always hit the ball high, which is why I get 0 roll out of my drives. Ive just gotten used to it at this point lol If its soggy/wet out on the course--I have literally had to dig my drives out of holes in the fairway because they plug haha My ball hits its apex and then just falls straight down out of the sky.

Edited by akronswitness

4 hours ago, searok said:

Akronswitness, can you elaborate a bit about your setup with the Hzrdus Black 6.0? I'm playing my 10.5 at 9.5 with the Tour 75 stiff and I get 2 to 3 yards rollout as an average. Did the Hzrdus help with that at all?

Well I always set it to 9* at first because I hit so high like I mentioned. I play all my clubs off the inside of my front foot. Im used to swinging out and making contact ahead of me because I played baseball for years, so everything I put forward in my stance because it feels natural.

I not only hit towering shots with zero roll out, but I had a slice problem (again because of baseball). I learned that changing the loft higher helps close the club face--so I experimented around and set my driver to 10.5* against everything I know about trying to keep the ball lower. It helped a TON with my slice switching to 10.5*. However, I noticed my ball would hang up in the air pretty good. But this is the trade off I took.

Then, I did research into stiffer shafts and the one that got great reviews that apparently helped with lower trajectory was the Hzrdus Black. Coughed up the $100 for the shaft and I can tell it helped a lot with the spin. My mishits didnt spin and hard slice anymore, with the stiffer shaft my slices on mishits turned into fades.

I dont think at the end of the day the shaft did a ton for trajectory and helping with roll. I might get a few yards that I didnt get with the stock shaft--but I feel like all of this is because I play the ball off my front foot and its going to go soaring regardless.

Its like my drives climb, climb, climb, climb to its highest apex and then just fall straight back down to earth. Good news is they look AMAZING. Everyone I have golfed with go 'holy ***' when I hit drives because they climb so high that every drive LOOKS like they are going 310+ but in reality I carry about 265-275 on average. Its like a mirage. 

But hey, changing the loft from 9 to 10.5 to close the face and using the HZRDUS Black Shaft in the G400Max has made me drive much straighter and the mishits dont hurt as bad. Teh mishits are now in the right rough, not the next fairway over lol

Edited by akronswitness

Thanks for the reply. I play open face because of the hooks. It does seem to work as I hit 8 or 10 fairways a round. since moving to Florida from the midwest,  I seem to have lost 10 or 15 yards of roll. Drives are shorter. could be the combination of sea level and softer turf. i'm in my 70's now so it might be time to move to a more flexible shaft and gain some lost yardage with more carry.  According to the rangefinder I seem to average 235 on the fly, but I wouldn't mind picking up 10 more yards. Only playing 5900 to 6200 yards, but 1 less club to the green is always better.

25 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I've never played a Ping driver, but I'm in the market for a new/used driver this year and I think I want to go max forgiveness.  There's a very good chance I pick up a used 400 Max.

Then the 400 Max should be at the top of your list to try out.  One of the most forgiving clubs out there.  Plus at this point it is very affordable and there are a million of them out there so you should be able to find one in excellent condition.

5 minutes ago, Kevmonton said:

Then the 400 Max should be at the top of your list to try out.  One of the most forgiving clubs out there.  Plus at this point it is very affordable and there are a million of them out there so you should be able to find one in excellent condition.

I think the only trouble is trying one out, since they're a few versions behind at this point.  Chance are, I'll probably just have to pick one out blindly, take it to a fitter, and find the optimal shaft.

26 minutes ago, Strategery said:

Please tell. Would pay big $$$ for that. Srs.

I feel like the SIM/SIM 2 carries a bit further than the Ping G400, but then again its not nearly as forgiving of a club and is far less consistent IMO

Is 10-15 yards on your drives really changing anything though on a 430 yard Par 4? IDK. Ive learned to stop chasing distance in recent years because the minimal added distance at the cost of consistency and forgiveness is not worth it for 90% of mid-high handicap golfers. What am I doing with that extra 10-15 yards on my drive? Hitting a 8i into the green on my second shot instead of a 7i? Like who cares lol Im still hitting a reachable iron shot and ts not like that 10-15 yards is forcing me to lay up every hole and add another stroke.

I would rather hit 13/18 fairways an average 265 yards than hit 7/18 fairways and average 280 yards.

Edited by akronswitness
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, akronswitness said:

I feel like the SIM/SIM 2 carries a bit further than the Ping G400, but then again its not nearly as forgiving of a club and is far less consistent IMO

Pretty much everything is faster than the G400 Max, and I say that as a huge Ping advocate (only took the 400 out of the bag for the moveable weight in the 425).

Pings are heavy and you'll swing them slower. The 400MAX head weight is 206g and the Sim Max is 194g. My CHS is usually 2-4MPH slower with Pings when I get fit.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Ventus Blue 7X

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

L.A.B. DF3 66°/34”, J Alignment

35 minutes ago, Celeras said:

Pretty much everything is faster than the G400 Max, and I say that as a huge Ping advocate (only took the 400 out of the bag for the moveable weight in the 425).

Pings are heavy and you'll swing them slower. The 400MAX head weight is 206g and the Sim Max is 194g. My CHS is usually 2-4MPH slower with Pings when I get fit.

Do you think the added weight/slower swing speed has anything to do with why people call it a 'fairway finder' and super forgiving?

1 hour ago, akronswitness said:

Do you think the added weight/slower swing speed has anything to do with why people call it a 'fairway finder' and super forgiving?

MOI is literally measured in grams per centimeter squared, and is defined by calculating the mass times the square of the distance to the axis the mass is rotating around.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Ventus Blue 7X

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

L.A.B. DF3 66°/34”, J Alignment