4 wedges or a driving iron ?

Devildawg67

On 1/29/2022 at 2:53 PM, Ripken08 said:

No need for anyone to carry 4 wedges in my opinion.  Go driving iron.

I'd agree if PW were still 50 degrees. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

If your total driver distance is under 300 yards (avg), you don't need a driving iron.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Cobra LTDx LS Black 10.5 R - UST Mamiya LinQ M40x White 6F3, (-2")

Cobra Speedzone 14.5 (+1⁰) R - Tensei AV 65g

Cobra F9 18.5 R - Evenflow Blue 5.5 65g

Callaway Apex '21 4 Hybrid 21 R - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB

Callaway Apex '19 5i - AW - R - Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH

Cleveland RTX6 - 54/10, (-1⁰) - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland RTX6 - 58/9 - Mid - Nippon Pro Modus3 105g, Wedge

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 3 - 35", (-1"), (+3g)

21 minutes ago, Justsomeguy said:

If your total driver distance is under 300 yards (avg), you don't need a driving iron.

Wouldn't the exception be if you play windy courses? I've played a few right on the water where my driver and fairway wood  shots were blowing off course (I do have a high trajectory on my shots). I had a 24 degree Wilson utility club and hit it off the tee after the first 3 blown off course drives and managed par/bogey golf the rest of the way which is good for me. 

• Like 1

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

I carry a driving iron and 4 wedges as both are necessary. I'm not the most accurate off the tee and tend to use the driving iron a lot. I also need the 4 wedges as I'm quite strong with irons/wedges and the gaps would be too big otherwise. Also they have different bounces for different scenarios which comes in handy a lot of the time.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:10 PM, Cactus Jack said:

I would focus on gapping.

For example, the PXG PW most likely performs like a 9i vs. a traditional PW, GW like a PW etc. As such, if you ignore the stamping on the bottom of the club, you’re likely not be carrying four wedges. 

Another consideration would be the courses you play. If short courses where driver and 3 wood are too much the driving iron makes sense. However, if that’s not the case I think most folks will find themselves in the scoring zone more often. 

I don't look at the P, G, S or L  just the loft . 4* apart.   As to the 61* it is for the slopey, fast greens we have at my club and the occasional short side. 

13 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I'd agree if PW were still 50 degrees. 

Exactly.  What is a “wedge?”  

In my mind, I carry two wedges.  The “P” & “A” that match my iron set are exactly that to me, irons.  Sure, I use them chipping and on a looong bunker shot once or twice a year, but they are really just irons to me.  

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

2 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Exactly.  What is a “wedge?”  

In my mind, I carry two wedges.  The “P” & “A” that match my iron set are exactly that to me, irons.  Sure, I use them chipping and on a looong bunker shot once or twice a year, but they are really just irons to me.  

Since we identify irons based on what's on the bottom, anything that ends with the word "wedge" would be a wedge.  Despite the fact that the loft makeup has changed over the years it's still a wedge, so I carry 4 of them.  

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Since we identify irons based on what's on the bottom, anything that ends with the word "wedge" would be a wedge.  Despite the fact that the loft makeup has changed over the years it's still a wedge, so I carry 4 of them.  

Fair enough.  "What's in a name....." after all.  

Here's the issue with this question, every time it comes up: Everybody tries to solve the puzzle by talking about lofts, shafts, grinds, and least importantly, what club they have to decide between.  Heck its the same problem that resides in every question of the same ilk, regardless of the club type that one is pondering.  

Almost no one ever truly records, understands, and then discusses how the clubs will be used and how those shots ACTUALLY affect their scores.  

Heck, I mean if you look at my bag and the names/style of the clubs, you could say that I have 4 wedges and TWO driving irons.  There's space in there, if you truly consider the shots that you need each club to hit, but the dive is deeper than some want to go!

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

On 2/13/2022 at 9:00 PM, Justsomeguy said:

... There are just waaaaaay too many variables to make a statement like this. Some just hit their irons better than woods and especially better than hybrids. Some like myself play hard, fast fairways and the accuracy of a DI with a ton of roll makes it an ideal choice and my driver distance is 260-270 measured in a fitting last week. My DI can easily produce drives around 230-240 here in the desert and is more accurate them my woods/hybrids. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

On 1/30/2022 at 8:24 AM, Kale_m said:

How far do you hit your driver? 
 I am a low cap and hit it farther then most. 

I would opt for another wedge 

A few seasons ago, I met a former small-college basketball forward, about 6-foot-5 with quick hands. He had switched to golf.

He had a five wedge set-up because he hit his PW 150 yards. He needed the other four wedges to get some options inside 100 yards.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

59 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

A few seasons ago, I met a former small-college basketball forward, about 6-foot-5 with quick hands. He had switched to golf.

He had a five wedge set-up because he hit his PW 150 yards. He needed the other four wedges to get some options inside 100 yards.

yah that is what I mean, Hitting it further you are going to have more wedges into greens. Every one will have more success with more full shots then having to "feel"them in there and manufacture shots. 

I go driving iron, (PW is 45) 50/55/60 

• Like 1

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

I would always go for the extra wedge if that’s what it takes to keep full swing gaps below 20 yards. I think it would be easier for most good players to blend two long clubs into one with some tweaks to the club and/or how you swing it. Getting close from inside 150 is huge for good players and I find that much easier with smaller stock yardage gaps.

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

4W| TM V Steel 16.5* DG S300

2i | Ben Hogan ‘99 Apex DG S300

3-P| Maxfli DP-801 DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Maxfli TM-11

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

You have to check for yourself if a driving iron is for you and how much you will be using it. Having 4 wedges helps me a lot with dialing in distances <115y. And the 60 is so versatile around the greens and bunkers. Driving irons are very tricky because they are extremely 1 dimensional unless you have a lot of speed, they do look cool and for some reason people are attracted by low iron shots off the tee making them feel safe. If you have acces to any kind of fitting facility or store where you can try different stuff on a monitor it would be wise to compare DI to similar lofted hybrids/woods. Also consider in what situations you want to use the club, you havent mentioned your speed/distances but if you are frequently out 200y+ to greens on long par 4s a driving iron wont help you much.

Personally I would never go PW, 56, 60.  That just doesn’t make sense to me, if I was reading it right.  If I was set on having a 60 I would get a gap wedge.  PW, 52, 58 seems like a fine option though.  
personally I like to have 4 wedges.  It just makes it easier to play whatever distance and trajectory shot may be presented.  If I was hell bent on playing a PW, 56, 60 type setup I would lean towards getting a Vokey or some other specialty wedge as my PW.  You will need a lot of different partial shots and a specialty wedge will be a bit more versatile.

I think for me short game is more important so I carry 4 wedges. In my bag I still have a DI but if I had to choose, the DI would be gone before any of my wedges. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 ADDI 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

21 hours ago, jomatty said:

Personally I would never go PW, 56, 60.  That just doesn’t make sense to me, if I was reading it right.  If I was set on having a 60 I would get a gap wedge.  PW, 52, 58 seems like a fine option though.  
personally I like to have 4 wedges.  It just makes it easier to play whatever distance and trajectory shot may be presented.  If I was hell bent on playing a PW, 56, 60 type setup I would lean towards getting a Vokey or some other specialty wedge as my PW.  You will need a lot of different partial shots and a specialty wedge will be a bit more versatile.

Maybe, but isn't there a very popular guy that went PW48 56/60 and won 83?

I think there's been some really good advice on here about playing to the conditions. Driving irons to me aren't so much about wind, rather being an iron that runs out. Even with a hybrid that's relatively the same number more or less, the landing situation is extremely different. Some grounds will reward a DI, some won't. The Gap Wedge is good for runout chips and a gap between P and S; clue is in the name. Pros are mostly 50/50 on it, and a lot of it depends on the loft of the PW.

Tiger playing a 48º PW basically gave him a modern gap wedge. That said 8º is often considered extreme. Feel guys usually stick to 6º. Pelz grid guys stick to 4-5º. If OP sticks to 52-58 AND the PW he gets isn't some 43º loftjacked thing, he wins a DI.

For me, I'll play a hybrid 90% or a DI 10% of the time. I want my 4º options in wedges. If I was back in Phx, the DI comes out in the summer. If I'm in Dallas, the hybrid rarely makes the bag. But I don't mess with my wedge options. If you want the wedge & DI, and the DI is your 3-iron, drop your 5-iron.

• Like 2

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

41 minutes ago, karstens_ghost said:

Maybe, but isn't there a very popular guy that went PW48 56/60 and won 83?

I think there's been some really good advice on here about playing to the conditions. Driving irons to me aren't so much about wind, rather being an iron that runs out. Even with a hybrid that's relatively the same number more or less, the landing situation is extremely different. Some grounds will reward a DI, some won't. The Gap Wedge is good for runout chips and a gap between P and S; clue is in the name. Pros are mostly 50/50 on it, and a lot of it depends on the loft of the PW.

Tiger playing a 48º PW basically gave him a modern gap wedge. That said 8º is often considered extreme. Feel guys usually stick to 6º. Pelz grid guys stick to 4-5º. If OP sticks to 52-58 AND the PW he gets isn't some 43º loftjacked thing, he wins a DI.

For me, I'll play a hybrid 90% or a DI 10% of the time. I want my 4º options in wedges. If I was back in Phx, the DI comes out in the summer. If I'm in Dallas, the hybrid rarely makes the bag. But I don't mess with my wedge options. If you want the wedge & DI, and the DI is your 3-iron, drop your 5-iron.

There are always exceptions and if this guy has the shot diversity of Tiger he certainly can make it, or any other setup work.  That doesn’t make it ideal for most of us imho.  Your point is certainly valid though, and if he is good enough with his wedges ahe can make it work.

• Thanks 1

I hear a ton of "longer players need 4 wedges" talk.

What kind of courses are you big hitters playing?

Being a longer hitter myself (mid 190 ball speed) - having more options off the tee and into longer par 4s & 5s is far more valuable to me.

My setup is

Driver - 6.5⁰

3 wood - 14⁰

2 iron - 17⁰

5 wood - 19⁰

3 iron - 21⁰

5-P (48⁰)

Handicap peaked at +5.2 last year, at +4.3 right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both.

I've got good distance, and at the top end of my bag I don't need two fairway woods.  It's very uncommon that I'm sitting more than 260 out and need a 3w off the deck.  The SIM UDI 2i is a stinger machine.  Into wind, or anytime I want a low driving flight, that's a great option.  The 4w will launch way higher and land softer, so they're two very different clubs.

I also don't buy the idea that a 3w off the tee is the "Safe" option if you need to hit a fairway.  I'm just as capable of missing a fairway with a 3w as I am a D, and I leave myself with a much longer 2nd shot.  If I really want to play it safe, longer iron or the UDI is the play.

I go:
D

4w (5w turned up to 17)

2i UDI

4H

5i-9i, PW, UW  (wedges part of the iron set)

56, 60

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

I have played my current set up pretty much for the past 20+ years. I have tweaked it from time to time but always settle on this set up.

D

3w 15*

DI 2 iron  17*

4iron 21* thru PW 45*

then 3 more wedges 50,54,58

My biggest yardage gap is from 3w to 2i but I have to hit a shot in that range a lot less then short yardage and chips around the green so I prefer the option 4 wedges gives me. I am fine hitting the 2 iron of the fairway and use it quite a bit and off the tee on short par 4's

Edited by Chef Otto
  • Like 1

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

I think too many people carry a driving iron thinking it makes them " look" like a playa...  I'd carry the gap wedge.  If you're a low handicap you should be able to find the fairway good enought with a low lofted hybrid or even get creative and hit a sawed off stinger driver.  These clubs your more used to hitting on a regular basis vs. some kind of specialty club, that's not easy to hit anyway, coming out once or twice a round.

I personally play 4 wedges, but also love the functionality of a driving iron and so I have a U500 as my 4 iron that doubles as my "tight par 4" club--smooth 235-240 for me. This setup works well for me because I hit it pretty far off the tee and so the likely hood that I have a wedge in hand for my second shot is super high so having more wedges gives me more distances to work with and ultimately I score better. 

Dr: Ping G410 LST 9* (@8*) - ???

3w: Taylormade 300 Mini Driver 13.5* - ???

UDI: Titleist U505 2i @19* - Mitsubishi Chem MMT UT 125TX

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-Pw, 1* weak) - Mitsubishi Chem MMT 125TX

Gw: Titleist Vokey SM8 50.08F (@52.10) - Mitsubishi Chem MMT Scoring Wedge 125TX

Sw: Titleist Vokey SM8 56.12D (@57.13) - Mitsubishi Chem MMT Scoring Wedge 125TX

Lw: Titleist Vokey SM8 60.08M (@62.10) - Mitsubishi Chem MMT Scoring Wedge 125TX

P: SIK Flo Tour Issue Center Shafted - LA Golf TPZOne80

Ball: Callaway Chromesoft X LS

Benched: Taylormade SIM2 Ti 15* and SIM2 Ti 19*