2022 Chevron Championship

Golf Dino

8 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Houston weather this time of year could be almost anything.  Wet, cold, windy, warm, tornadoes, etc... .  I predict many weather delays in the Chevron's future.

That's why I see a schedule change coming, cause the Master really wants to be that first Major of the year ........ I'll spare you all my conspiracy theories surrounding the matter 😂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Stooch said:

That's why I see a schedule change coming, cause the Master really wants to be that first Major of the year ........ I'll spare you all my conspiracy theories surrounding the matter 😂.

I remember reading somewhere that the tournament would move to late spring/early summer when the move to Houston was first announced. Would also make sense for the amateurs wanting to play this event and Augusta.

• Like 2

It used to be that I found the tee time for Yealimi Noh first, then I looked for Nelly and Lydia; then everyone else after that.  Tournaments aren't the same now that Nelly is on the sideline.  

Hope there'll be a silver lining in that Nelly will now know she can't take her youth for granted.  There isn't any guarantee that she'll ever live her life the way it was.  That sense of urgency will make her a better player and a better person.

In the meantime, pray and hope she'll be ready for the $10.0 million USWO!

Well Brooke seems fine with the change probably be some accuracy issues for a bit, but no more gripping down with driver.  New ball and change of grip she's says she only lost a few yards and she thinks she'll it get all back when timing and transition improve over time.  She could even end up longer if she get her driver back to what it was.  She mentioned the transition was pretty easy and might do it throughout bag sooner rather than later, which will add distance to all her irons ....... but with the rough and new driver, I think we'll get see plenty how strong Brooke's wrist are this week lol

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Well Brooke seems fine with the change probably be some accuracy issues for a bit, but no more gripping down with driver.  New ball and change of grip she's says she only lost a few yards and she thinks she'll it get all back when timing and transition improve over time.  She could even end up longer if she get her driver back to what it was.  She mentioned the transition was pretty easy and might do it throughout bag sooner rather than later, which will add distance to all her irons ....... but with the rough and new driver, I think we'll get see plenty how strong Brooke's wrist are this week lol

Yes, it will indeed be interesting to see if she transitions her grip through the remainder of her bag.  Interestingly, she has had weight added to the end of the driver (grip end) trying to simulate the feel and balance that she is used to.    

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 8:36 PM, iBanesto said:

Wow. Top 20 finish is rather generous for a major.

Don't get that in the men's majors.

Although you do get top 15 from previous year in the PGA AND the top 20 from the club pro championship.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 3/30/2022 at 1:50 AM, Seamus_McDuff said:

🤞 hopefully... but if you click on the accompanying Forum Link... it says photos were from Valspar pro-am?

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 4:31 AM, Argonne69 said:

Sigh. I'm bummed. Definitely happy that the tourney has found a new sponsor, but I'm not thrilled about the change of venue. OK, it's not Augusta National. However, it's been the only major on the LPGA played at the same course for decades. We know what to expect on every hole. With the rough up its a solid test. 

I got hooked on the LPGA in 2009 when I watched the final round where Bam Bam made eagle on the final hole with one of the best approaches into 18 ever. Heck, no backboard needed. Lol. 

In recent years we've seen a ton of drama. Lexi's penalty leading to So Yeon's win. Lydia's stuffing a wedge close to win her 2nd major. Pernilla outlasting Inbee on a Monday. Stacy beating Yani after Yani committed the fatal sin of touching the trophy before the round. Mirim chipping in several times to force a playoff with Brooke and Nelly. 

This week will be bittersweet. 'Hope it's a memorable one. 

JYK also mentioned she will miss the Mission Hills in Palm Springs / Dinah Shore venue

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jin-young-ko-california-palm-springs-golf-boot-camp

“The trip this week to Mission Hills will be bittersweet for all in the field as they play there for the last time, but particularly so for Ko given her bootcamp connection to the Palm Springs area.

“I really enjoyed competing in Mission Hills,” Ko said, “and I feel bad that I can’t get to see the winners jump in Poppie’s Pond [going forward], but I’ll do my best to prepare for the first major competition of this season as if it’s my last."

The good news: She’ll be very familiar with her surroundings.”

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 7:31 PM, Stooch said:

First week with the new length driver shaft, so who knows what to expect and the fact she pulled out last week makes a little nervous lol

The driver thing could go either way. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being along the lines of "why didn't I do this years ago!?"  Brooke has to clean things up around and on the greens though. If she can do that she can contend.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

Can i do it with Suntory old whiskey?

Suntory Crest? Or Yamazaki , Hakushu, Hibiki? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/its-suntory-time/2012/01/11/gIQAjuVy5P_story.html

https://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/how-bill-murray-sparked-the-japanese-whiskey-boom-20151103/

Here's the full translation:

(PlayList: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZbXA4lyCtqpQQ7lGCzq39UQ8V8WX1-rH)

DIRECTOR (in Japanese to the interpreter): The translation is very important, O.K.? The translation.

INTERPRETER: Yes, of course. I understand.

DIRECTOR: Mr. Bob-san. You are sitting quietly in your study. And then there is a bottle of Suntory whiskey on top of the table. You understand, right? With wholehearted feeling, slowly, look at the camera, tenderly, and as if you are meeting old friends, say the words. As if you are Bogie in ''Casablanca,'' saying, ''Cheers to you guys,'' Suntory time!

INTERPRETER: He wants you to turn, look in camera. O.K.?

BOB: That's all he said?

INTERPRETER: Yes, turn to camera.

BOB: Does he want me to, to turn from the right or turn from the left?

INTERPRETER (in very formal Japanese to the director): He has prepared and is ready. And he wants to know, when the camera rolls, would you prefer that he turn to the left, or would you prefer that he turn to the right? And that is the kind of thing he would like to know, if you don't mind.

DIRECTOR (very brusquely, and in much more colloquial Japanese): Either way is fine. That kind of thing doesn't matter. We don't have time, Bob-san, O.K.? You need to hurry. Raise the tension. Look at the camera. Slowly, with passion. It's passion that we want. Do you understand?

INTERPRETER (In English, to Bob): Right side. And, uh, with intensity.

BOB: Is that everything? It seemed like he said quite a bit more than that.

DIRECTOR: What you are talking about is not just whiskey, you know. Do you understand? It's like you are meeting old friends. Softly, tenderly. Gently. Let your feelings boil up. Tension is important! Don't forget.

INTERPRETER (in English, to Bob): Like an old friend, and into the camera.

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: You understand? You love whiskey. It's Suntory time! O.K.?

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: O.K.? O.K., let's roll. Start.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! (Then in a very male form of Japanese, like a father speaking to a wayward child) Don't try to fool me. Don't pretend you don't understand. Do you even understand what we are trying to do? Suntory is very exclusive. The sound of the words is important. It's an expensive drink. This is No. 1. Now do it again, and you have to feel that this is exclusive. O.K.? This is not an everyday whiskey you know.

INTERPRETER: Could you do it slower and ----

DIRECTOR: With more ecstatic emotion.

INTERPRETER: More intensity.

DIRECTOR (in English): Suntory time! Roll.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! God, I'm begging you.

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

@JungleJimbo . . . If I'm not mistaken, I believe the whiskies you referenced are all produced by Suntory, just at different distilleries.  Hibiki with age statements are coming back and have tended to be their most popular/sought after bottles.   Another separate distiller of the whiskies in Japan is Nikka ... and that's what I have in my collection . . . 20220330_203314.jpg.4961ebc14abb6c581cdef772e5d04bac.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

@JungleJimbo . . . If I'm not mistaken, I believe the whiskies you referenced are all produced by Suntory, just at different distilleries.  Hibiki with age statements are coming back and have tended to be their most popular/sought after bottles.   Another separate distiller of the whiskies in Japan is Nikka ... and that's what I have in my collection . . . 20220330_203314.jpg.4961ebc14abb6c581cdef772e5d04bac.jpg

@Golf Dino Your Nikka whiskies look awesome!

Those Suntory whiskies were referenced in the WaPo article that i linked earlier i.e. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/its-suntory-time/2012/01/11/gIQAjuVy5P_story.html

Quote:

"It started when a friend who travels to Japan on business introduced me to Yoichi Single Malt, from the legendary Nikka distillery, a spirit that is nearly impossible to find in the United States. I’ve moved on to Suntory products, which are more widely available, specifically the Yamazaki 12-year-old ($40), the Hakushu 12-year-old ($60) and the Hibiki 12-year-old ($55).

"In Japan, however, the “blends” are likely to come from the same distillery. Technically, these are single-malts, but what differs is the mix of wood. Some of the whisky is aged in American white oak barrels, some in sherry casks and some in barrels made of rare Japanese oak, which grows on the northern island of Hokkaido. The Japanese also experiment with lengthened fermentation and sometimes filter through charred bamboo."

"The key difference between buttery Yamazaki — with its honey, clove and spiced-peach flavors — and the green and fresh Hakushu — with its crisp mint, ginger and smoking-autumn-leaf notes — is simply the terroir where each distillery is situated. For the Hibiki, which is a blend from Yamazaki and Hakushu, some of the whisky spends time in barrels that once stored plum liqueur. The result is a unique experience of spice and smoke and tropical fruit, and a delicate, delicious sweetness balanced by a hint of tartness."

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

JYK also mentioned she will miss the Mission Hills in Palm Springs / Dinah Shore venue

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/jin-young-ko-california-palm-springs-golf-boot-camp

Ko's coach Si Woo Lee's YouTube golf channel for anyone interested. (He has a great swing too)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChbsjh2xP66KxNjkAJoDImw/videos

This is probably part of the boot camp featuring Hyun Kyung Park.

Edited by iBanesto

7 minutes ago, iBanesto said:

Ko's coach Si Woo Kim's YouTube golf channel for anyone interested. (He has a great swing too)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChbsjh2xP66KxNjkAJoDImw/videos

This is probably part of the boot camp featuring Hyun Kyung Park.

Thanks @iBanesto 

... slight correction, i.e. coach = SiWoo Lee (이시우의 골프생) ... not "SiWoo Kim" the PGA pro! 🙂 

..p/s: Who's the "Eonnie" (sisters) being referred to,
i.e. in the youtube video title "언니들 겁이 좀 나시겠어요 이번에도???"?

Edited by JungleJimbo

The dawning of a new age...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, iBanesto said:

Lorena Ochoa = Legend.

This edition really seems slapped together at the last minute.

*Tickets didn’t go on sale until about a month before the event. 

*Changes to the Hall of Fame must have certainly been known for a while. 

When it was announced this would be the last edition at Mission Hills, I asked off of work this entire week. The speculation and lots of people speculated that many former champions would come out

for one last go here made it a week not to miss. But when your reply to fans is tickets will go on sale soon, it’s too uncertain for someone like me to make any real plans so I canceled my time off.

No one who is inactive is playing although that was always wishful speculation.

Some sort of mini- HOF induction ceremony for Lorena is taking place.

I could/ would have been there if it had been announced just a little sooner.

Oh well!!

• Like 1