2022 Chevron Championship

Golf Dino

1 hour ago, Rapidcat said:

All that and players still struggle to win multiple majors and some get into the Hall of Fame with no majors.

Lifting and placing in a major is another travesty.

Curious. What LPGA player (say last 25 years or so) has made the incredibly difficult LPGA HOF or the easier WGHOF without without winning an LPGA major?

As for L/C/P in a major championship it should never happen. Only the final round of the 2016 PGA Championship at Baltusrol has it taken place for the men.

• Like 3

A lurking S.Y. Kim heading into the weekend is a dangerous thing for the rest of the field.  I like her chances.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

6 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

And @Seamus_McDuff

I recall in the R1 commentary they said 2 holes, I certainly saw players doing it from the fairway on 18. Looked perfectly playable to me.

One huge difference between the LPGA and PGA is how poorly the LPGA handles its majors: events change names, bounce in and out of major status, lets now dismiss an iconic venue and oh, why don't we have 5 majors?

All that and players still struggle to win multiple majors and some get into the Hall of Fame with no majors.

Lifting and placing in a major is another travesty.

If they’re playing any sort of lift, clean, place in this tournament I didn’t hear it or see it. I’ll go back and check my recording. 

• Like 1

Sloppy bogie by Jin Young on the 18th. This one may be out of reach unless she goes crazy this weekend. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

4 hours ago, grm24 said:

Curious. What LPGA player (say last 25 years or so) has made the incredibly difficult LPGA HOF or the easier WGHOF without without winning an LPGA major?

As for L/C/P in a major championship it should never happen. Only the final round of the 2016 PGA Championship at Baltusrol has it taken place for the men.

I suspect with your demonstrated granular attention to detail on here that you know the answer to your question and your are being a touch mischievous in asking me. I could also say 'look it up, I'm not your forum butler', but as I've already done the research I will provide the answer: there are now 34 members which include 4 members that never even won an LPGA tournament, let alone a major (founders). The 5th is Judy Rankin. Anyway, I don't accept your '25 years or so' rider as a reason to soften the criteria.

The criteria is far too soft, IMO it should include a decent amount of majors, 3 at the very least so no Lorena, she only won 2. I don't care for the but but buts, Lorena chose to retire early and she won only 2 majors in 33 attempts? I would probably set the major amount at 5, which would also exclude Nancy Lopez (3 majors won in 86 attempts) - shock horror! BTW, there are 15 players that have won 5 or more LPGA majors.

It is supposed to be the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Upper Mediocrity. It demonstrates that the LPGA just don't 'get' the value of majors, so you wonder why they are so happy to play 'lift and place', move venues, change names etc all just chasing $. They should get better commercial negotiators.

As to your comment re L/C/P, naturally I am in 100% agreement.👍

• Sad 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

32 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

If they’re playing any sort of lift, clean, place in this tournament I didn’t hear it or see it. I’ll go back and check my recording. 

They mentioned at least when Jessica and Leona were playing the 18th in R2, I heard and saw Leona place.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

44 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

They mentioned at least when Jessica and Leona were playing the 18th in R2, I heard and saw Leona place.

Just watched, didn’t happen. They showed Leona putt out on 17 and the next shot shown from either was Leona’s 3rd on 18. There was no L/C/P and Jessica was already on the green. 

49 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Sloppy bogie by Jin Young on the 18th. This one may be out of reach unless she goes crazy this weekend. 

And -4 round put her at the end of the -2's going out, I think when your score is around this, you want the earliest tee time you can get.  You want as many hole as you can get with no wind.  Still, there are just too many people in between, even shooting 64-65 on the weekend still would probably leave her short at the end.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Just watched, didn’t happen. They showed Leona putt out on 17 and the next shot shown from either was Leona’s 3rd on 18. There was no L/C/P and Jessica was already on the green. 

image.png.507f5d9b3acfac0d149637cf2722b304.png

That's Leona standing up after her place.

I know what I heard.

Edit: TBF, I've just re-watched it and the L/C/P comment wasn't made for that two but I heard it in earlier commentary and thought "that sucks". I'm not going to re-watch an hour or so to support my point. Let's see when it comes up in R3/R4.

Edited by Rapidcat

30 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

image.png.507f5d9b3acfac0d149637cf2722b304.png

That's Leona standing up after her place.

I know what I heard.

Edit: TBF, I've just re-watched it and the L/C/P comment wasn't made for that two but I heard it in earlier commentary and thought "that sucks". I'm not going to re-watch an hour or so to support my point. Let's see when it comes up in R3/R4.

That’s not her placing the ball, it’s her picking grass to check the wind. 

5 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

That’s not her placing the ball, it’s her picking grass to check the wind. 

Why would she pick up grass directly behind her ball to check the wind?

Lets see what you say when it is mentioned or viewed during R3/R4. I know what I heard during the coverage.

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

They mentioned yesterday when Brooke ran her 2nd shot through the green on 18, that you can drop from the other side of the island.  I would love to see a shot from there before the event ends lol

Nobody's going to play from behind the pond. The back to front slope on the green is too severe. The drop area would be the sane choice.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I just saw the news that this tournament is leaving Mission Hills for an unnamed course in Houston, TX?? 

Wow, congrats to the new tour chief. I hope her legacy is forever synonymous with moving this championship not only off this golf course, but out of the area, and completely out of the STATE. What a joke. Chasing purse money, eh. Sure, that’ll last.. What’s the money driver..? What Tour. What Player.

So it’s in Texas next year. Who cares.. they don’t have the product right now to stir interest. Changing venues won’t help.

Making more money, sure the players want that NOW, because they’re the only ones to gain from this move. But long term… great job tending to the mercenary players who are only looking out for their bank accounts. And if the player snake more money, then the commish gets paid. The selfish greed of America continues. The Koreans travelled in the wrong direction when they decided to play against the best. American culture is greed, and they’ll be morally bankrupt along with the rest of us Americans soon, leaving behind the grace and dignity of their native lands. 

The LPGA needs a brand. Then money, actual sustainable, long term money, will follow. What they need is a savvy sponsor oriented expert and deal-maker who could’ve kept this  Major Championship at Mission Hills with a long long term sponsor. They need this brand, and this tradition. The people running this tour are idiots, I’m sorry. Very very disappointment with this crap. 

8 minutes ago, OBbogey5 said:

I just saw the news that this tournament is leaving Mission Hills for an unnamed course in Houston, TX?? 

Wow, congrats to the new tour chief. I hope her legacy is forever synonymous with moving this championship not only off this golf course, but out of the area, and completely out of the STATE. What a joke. Chasing purse money, eh. Sure, that’ll last.. What’s the money driver..? What Tour. What Player.

So it’s in Texas next year. Who cares.. they don’t have the product right now to stir interest. Changing venues won’t help.

Making more money, sure the players want that NOW, because they’re the only ones to gain from this move. But long term… great job tending to the mercenary players who are only looking out for their bank accounts. And if the player snake more money, then the commish gets paid. The selfish greed of America continues. The Koreans travelled in the wrong direction when they decided to play against the best. American culture is greed, and they’ll be morally bankrupt along with the rest of us Americans soon, leaving behind the grace and dignity of their native lands. 

The LPGA needs a brand. Then money, actual sustainable, long term money, will follow. What they need is a savvy sponsor oriented expert and deal-maker who could’ve kept this  Major Championship at Mission Hills with a long long term sponsor. They need this brand, and this tradition. The people running this tour are idiots, I’m sorry. Very very disappointment with this crap. 

Well, I guess they could have continued playing at MH without a sponsor.  I'm sure the Coachella Valley could've scraped up a few mil each year...

• Like 3

Just now, OBbogey5 said:

Right. It was nothing, or a 60% purse increase in Texas. Only two options on the table. 

Apparently because ANA was pulling out.  Chevron stepped in.  Were there others that offered less money, but would keep it at MH?  Don't know.  Someone might know, but nothing like that has been disclosed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, OBbogey5 said:

Right. It was nothing, or a 60% purse increase in Texas. Only two options on the table. 

Afraid so. Option C would have been nice! Chevron take over, raise the purse 60% and leave it where it belongs, I mean was 😊 Glad Kraft didn’t move it to the Chicago area and ANA didn’t move it to Tokyo when they took over. Chevron sees 50 years of tradition and says…so what who cares tv show GIF

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

Aw yeah, Patty! 

Man, didn't realize they were all going off so late today; I'd have played this morning instead of this afternoon. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept