2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Whoever used this club, I'm never playing for money

image.jpeg.d86afe98102ee74b678eb97ca6b9f512.jpeg

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@No_Catchy_NicknameWith a wear spot that precise... it’s possible that 2-iron belongs to Ben Hogan himself!

off-topic but related... it reminds me of Danielle Kang’s wear-spot on her putter....

...and made me wonder if you’ve heard of some “vanity-cappers” using a bit of steel-wool/scouring pad to make a similar  “pre-worn” wear spot?(for “street cred”??)

(Am guessing Danielle’s putter wear spot = from thousands of reps of putting drills... perhaps with something similar to foot-spray to view impact location? https://www.golfwrx.com/509248/danielle-kang-witb-2018/

image.jpeg.2cceda03e1c3e60ec82d0394c4c3b55a.jpeg

image.jpeg.7cbb4435dfe9aa85b00a65fe49096b8a.jpeg

Thanks for posting a picture from the listing in the thread👍 I wanted to do it, but could only manage a small screenshot.

• Like 1

I’m a little suspicious because there is 0 wear on the bottom of the face. Even on pro’s clubs that have a dime

worn out on the face, typically the lowest groove area has a little wear

from turf interaction, etc... That one is clean as a whistle other than that spot. Maybe a really good ballstriker who only used it off a low tee at the range??? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

In the back of my mind I was thinking the street creed sander thing myself. LOL you can tell any clubs I have played for a while. On the short irons they are worn all over the face and my 5 iron is beat to within an inch of its life from frequent get out of jail shots

I am skeptical due to the lack of wear on the sole and original appearing grip.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DoughBack18 said:

I’m a little suspicious because there is 0 wear on the bottom of the face. Even on pro’s clubs that have a dime

from turf interaction, etc... That one is clean as a whistle other than that spot. Maybe a really good ballstriker who only used it off a low tee at the range??? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that, but the sole certainly is clean. I also can't imagine that hitting the ball solely off the tee would produce the dime mark on the face, provided the balls are clean.

I have no idea who used this club, or who the seller is, but what stood out to me is that in Japan, I hardly ever see wear marks like this even on short irons, because most people can only practice off mats at non-grass ranges. In those conditions, you could hit a thousand balls and see little wear on the face...in fact, you'd probably see more more scratches on the sole than the face.

The other thing is that making a wear mark like that certainly does nothing to add to the club's value. It would have to be a VERY vain person to do that, but hey, there's all sorts of people out there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that, but the sole certainly is clean. I also can't imagine that hitting the ball solely off the tee would produce the dime mark on the face, provided the balls are clean.

I have no idea who used this club, or who the seller is, but what stood out to me is that in Japan, I hardly ever see wear marks like this even on short irons, because most people can only practice off mats at non-grass ranges. In those conditions, you could hit a thousand balls and see little wear on the face...in fact, you'd probably see more more scratches on the sole than the face.

The other thing is that making a wear mark like that certainly does nothing to add to the club's value. It would have to be a VERY vain person to do that, but hey, there's all sorts of people out there.

@No_Catchy_Nickname
My facetious/only half-joking deduction from  the insights above 

= the wear-marks might've caused by the Japanese equivalent of "Iron Byron"! 🇯🇵🤖 

a.k.a....
😬🚫🤬
"Mr Robot-o"

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Haha 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:12 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Thought some of you might appreciate this.

I was just looking through my favourite Japanese auction site for potential club purchases when I saw THIS listing for a Hogan Personal 2i.

I don't think I've ever seen a wear-mark this good on a 2i before.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with this listing; I can only wish that it were indeed my club!

Holy smokes, based on what that club is used to, I could disappoint the heck out of her.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@No_Catchy_Nickname
My facetious/only half-joking deduction from  the insights above 

= the wear-marks might've caused by the Japanese equivalent of "Iron Byron"! 🇯🇵🤖 

a.k.a....
😬🚫🤬
"Mr Robot-o"

Maybe the club belonged to this guy!

Gundam.jpeg.044b1e7a2cb5062f2ba6abd8b2b26100.jpeg

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, DoughBack18 said:

Agreed.  I bagged for some very talented players and while their wear spots were impressive, there was equal wear to other parts of the clubhead from turf interaction.  My other observation is......Who hits a 2i often enough to create that kind of wear spot?  For an example, this is Patrick Cantlay's PW from the WITB photos.  That is probably his most often used club and he doesn't have a similar wear mark.

I'm not buying it on a 2 iron.

IMG_2220.jpg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Agreed.  I bagged for some very talented players and while their wear spots were impressive, there was equal wear to other parts of the clubhead from turf interaction.  My other observation is......Who hits a 2i often enough to create that kind of wear spot?  For an example, this is Patrick Cantlay's PW from the WITB photos.  That is probably his most often used club and he doesn't have a similar wear mark.

IMG_2220.jpg

1 hour ago, DoughBack18 said:

as @DoughBack18 mentioned… you’d expect the sole to have some wear marks

Attached photos =examples from an old Mizuno Mx-25 pitching wedge

35B3B3CA-37DC-4A9C-BBFA-90B3165D92E3.jpeg

B3ABA77E-3F71-4393-B439-14DEA5FFFA04.jpeg

E4E76167-B330-4F3F-9B5A-91190A3FD614.jpeg

CEEF996F-7922-4E49-A7E0-3861E53184FE.jpeg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

IMG_2220.jpg

Do the top pros these days play their clubs enough to leave wear marks? Or to put it another way, don't they have practice sets and tournament sets. and the tournament sets are changed out when they show signs of wear?

Incidentally, I love the look of that PW.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Do the top pros these days play their clubs enough to leave wear marks? Or to put it another way, don't they have practice sets and tournament sets. and the tournament sets are changed out when they show signs of wear?

Incidentally, I love the look of that PW.

That's a good point and the answer varies by player.  Some like Patrick are very slow to change their equipment, while others are like many members here.  Haha.

It seems that players from the 80s were less of an equipment ho than the players now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Sometimes it is also a product of the environment you play in. Where I am at in Coastal SC it is very sandy and being on the ocean we have salt in the air. It can wear most clubs really fast. Most of the guys with the modern black annodized clubs after like I would say 25 rounds or so you can tell it. And a lot of it is the clubs themselves. Kinda related here. Last week they had done a full aeration on our course and it was really sandy. On our last hole I thought I had cracked the face on my M-6. When I got home I put it under my lighted jewlers magnyfying glass. Did not really see anything. Then I remembered my phone has a high resoultion camera. Took pics no crack but man is the face scratched up. Oh well tools not jewels

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

3 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

as @DoughBack18 mentioned… you’d expect the sole to have some wear marks

Attached photos =examples from an old Mizuno Mx-25 pitching wedge

35B3B3CA-37DC-4A9C-BBFA-90B3165D92E3.jpeg

B3ABA77E-3F71-4393-B439-14DEA5FFFA04.jpeg

E4E76167-B330-4F3F-9B5A-91190A3FD614.jpeg

CEEF996F-7922-4E49-A7E0-3861E53184FE.jpeg

That is legit--- i am going to take you to the Stu school of wedges here. See the wear on the sole.That has to do with the design and effective bounce there. For me it has a little too much effective bounce and does not have a butter knife leading edge. Which it is a Mizuno and abeit a nice club and a good design just not in my wheelhouse. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BIG STU said:

That is legit--- i am going to take you to the Stu school of wedges here. See the wear on the sole.That has to do with the design and effective bounce there. For me it has a little too much effective bounce and does not have a butter knife leading edge. Which it is a Mizuno and abeit a nice club and a good design just not in my wheelhouse. 

I said sole wear, but I should have been more specfic... Looked at that picture pretty closely and it didn’t look like the leading edge of that club had seen daylight. Even if you look at the picture of Woods’ 8 iron from 2000something, you can see that the leading edge isn’t perfect, whereas on that 2 iron it appears to be.

But thats just me spitballing! Never been to Japan so who knows, maybe dudes are just plain striping it over there!! 😂

(sidenote, i’m a longtime golfer but new on wrx, so I feel like a boss having BigStu quoting me!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, DoughBack18 said:

I said sole wear, but I should have been more specfic... Looked at that picture pretty closely and it didn’t look like the leading edge of that club had seen daylight. Even if you look at the picture of Woods’ 8 iron from 2000something, you can see that the leading edge isn’t perfect, whereas on that 2 iron it appears to be.

But thats just me spitballing! Never been to Japan so who knows, maybe dudes are just plain striping it over there!! 😂

(sidenote, i’m a longtime golfer but new on wrx, so I feel like a boss having BigStu quoting me!!)

Welcome and thanks for the flowers man! Rock On. Will give you another tidbit on  the wedge there and again there is no one proper etched in stone way to do this---- Sole wear does not only take into consideration the effective bounce design of the club but also the individual player's AOA. I have a steep AOA and thus I need those thin butter knife leading edges. And the Mizuno guys are going to cringe here. When I played MP-33s for a year or so I had the sole ground down slightly on the leading edge on the short irons

Edited by BIG STU
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2022 at 12:15 AM, Foozle said:

The real skill is in wearing the whole face out evenly......as I do!🤣

Actually those lines on the club face are just connecting bars for the two hitting areas!😂

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 6/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, xgolfx said:

Ben  Hogan never put a club in his bag unless he hit 1000 golf shots with it .

many of today’s  Tour players change wedges   every month because they think they were out the grooves. In my opinion that is BS. No players of Hogan’s  era covered their putters. 
I saw his irons more than once. The sweet spot was ithe size of a dime

CHARLEY PENNA

I have been playing my old dependable 588s on and off for 15 years or more. And I guess I am too old school I refuse to play a putter I have to use a cover on. But then again these days you have the fancy inserts and milled faces etc and those putters are expensive so I can see their point on using a cover. If that is their cup of tea so be it. 

• Like 1