Modern Replacement for Maxfli Revolution Black Dot

BlackDots

Long time lurker, first time poster, and excuse me if "this thread" already exists (tried searching, can't find it)

What would be a good update on these clubs.  I'm a 15ish handicap, have tried game improvement irons over the years but can't get as solid a strike or as straight a ball flight with clubs like eye 2s, G20's (massive out of control draw through the bag....)as I can with my beat up old Maxfli's.  I'm expecting that there is an iron out there for me to upgrade to, just looking for a point in the right direction.

I fly my 6 iron 150 yards with regular steel shafts.  I'm 6'6" and play an inch over standard length, stock lie for the Maxfli's, white dot for the pings I've played.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

• Like 2

I played those for a few years, great irons.  If I remember they had very little offset, not sure what would be similar today.  Maybe Apex TCBs?

• Thanks 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• Like 1

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I can't see a good address picture and I am trying to go on memory from 20 years ago, so forgive me if this is way off base.  My gut would be anything very traditional player's CB.  Think Titleist 620CB, Taylormade P7MC, Callaway X-Forged/TCB, Mizuno JPX921 Tour.  Now, whether or not these are handicap appropriate as you point out is another issue.  Have you tried any of the newer techy irons that are designed for those intermediate players?  Don't get me wrong, they were great for their time but iron tech has come a LOOOOONNNNGGGG way from the Eye2s and G20s.  My first thoughts are the Ping i525, Mizuno Pro 225, Taylormade P770, Titleist T200, Callaway Apex Pro 2021, Cobra Forged Tec, PXG P heads, and Srixon ZX5.  All of these are forged to some degree (usually the face but some are the full body), small profile, ball speed retaining heads.  They are meant for players who want the look and feel of something ultra-traditional but with a modern punch such as forged cup faces that flex like fairway woods to retain ball speed, lower CoG for players who tend to miss low to get the ball airborne, and usually heel and toe tungsten internal weighting to stabilize the head and increase MOI (the resistance to twisting).  There's a reason these are year in and year out the #1 selling iron categories because they tick all of the boxes most avid golfers want.

I think it is worth it to at least book some time on a monitor and see if any of these new heads help you hit the ball better.  Most companies these days have 10 or so free shafts they offer, unlike 15 years ago when you got the Maxfli's where it was basically Dynamic Gold or some cheap unknown nameless steel shaft, and you took it and had to like it because there really was nothing else out there.  The fitting options are endless these days and often times at no extra cost to the consumer at the end of the day.  I say try out some techy heads, if they still provide no performance benefit, look at the ones I listed initially in the player's CB category.

Edited by WristySwing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I don't think I'm the target audience for the PXG Brand messaging and I haven't tried them personally, but the PXG 0211 is awesome value and has lots of customization options at the time of order for your tall build. 

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

3 hours ago, BlackDots said:

@WristySwing

I'm overwhelmed with the options now. I'm just getting back into playing regularly and am starting to hit some consistent shots.  I'm on a big time budget, too, so am likely looking into something used inside the last 5 years, or a component company. 

That's why its best to get fit.  Heck, even a $50 club compare or whatever at Golf Galaxy/PGA Superstore is going to give you a decent enough idea of what type of head you need, what length of club, lie angle, and shaft weight.  From there, take that information and hit the used market looking for the same clubs X number of years old.  The good thing is, the player's distance category has been around for about 6/7 years now so you can pick up gen 1 stuff (2017 P790, i500, PXG Gen1/Gen2, Mizuno MPH4, Srixon Z545/565 etc.) for pretty cheap compared to new.  You want to do this right --- and like I said, even if push comes to shove and you do actually hit weaker lofted, traditional irons better, at least you know that and you can still go to the used market looking for those type of clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

16 hours ago, BlackDots said:

Funny you say that, I've been thinking of these:

https://www.golfworks.ca/maltby-te-forged-irons/p/ma0099/

I actually play the gap wedge from this set because the head shape was fairly similar to the Maxfli.

TE is very highly regarded around here and the TE design has been a Maltby staple for ages. Has a very low CG if you struggle with getting the ball airborne and is extremely forgiving from what I've heard. I haven't played them personally but think they could be exactly what you're after. Ask the guys in the Maltby TS2 thread if you need further feedback. Maltby makes very nice forgings. Love my MG Tour grind wedge. 

• Thanks 1

Oh man I owned a few sets of those black dot Maxflis.  Then someone told me the red dot were flat or less offset or something and I was then hooked on those.  This was before golfWRX.  Great irons for being non-forged if I recall correct.

• Thanks 1

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

16 hours ago, BlackDots said:

Funny you say that, I've been thinking of these:

https://www.golfworks.ca/maltby-te-forged-irons/p/ma0099/

I actually play the gap wedge from this set because the head shape was fairly similar to the Maxfli.

One of my golf buddies plays the maltby clubs, not sure if they are those, his are a black finish, but he loves them. Honestly his iron game has been much better since he switched. Can’t go wrong with those.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Late response but I would put the Wishon 560mc’s or the 565mc’s as a good follow up to the Maxfli revolution black dots

same low offset, thin topline and more importantly same club head size 

deeper cavity, so more off center hit forgiveness 

they feel similarly good and they are forged 

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I played the black dots, in college.......replaced them with 7 series Srixons........

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

In terms of physical characteristics, I would think the Maltby TE Forged irons are the closest.  There aren't a lot of irons in the modern landscape with a CG that low, though the TE Forged are even lower.

image.png.f246cd6b2c0c098e335304fcc14126fd.png

image.png.c9088af57b4303ad36f69511892ac42a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Has it been 24 years already??? Wow!

I still have a brand new set somewhere. Maybe a round or 3 on them if that. Maybe they're in storage IDK haven't seen then for a long time.

Found myself to be huge fan of the Revolution golf ball and then the A10 they performed.

The Macgregor PCB's MT's Maxfli VHL's and the Revolution irons were aspirational for me I NEEDED to have them but when I got them I didn't at all find the Revolutions to perform anything like they looked.

Thanks for the comparisons @NRJyzr I agree this is a great way to tell what's similar to the Revo's

At the same time I wouldn't look for the most similar iron to the Revo I think there are other irons that will probably perform better for you @BlackDots

All of my experience and instincts say start with a shaft evaluation even if you just ball park it and then try a few I'd bet you can get better performance out of something that really suits how you load and unload the shafts.

I'd absolutely try and start with a Nippon product if you don't know where to start I think they may perform better than many other steel shafts.

image.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PixlPutterman said:

One day Ill have the gall to shaft these up.......

q7T-1_OzUEsmOjU9CPRYU8MxeRL0wS31Wcuex8x-_H3tZMRHPUlHI3Wl9zjKsEGbtMYHZMPjCn3ZuZhCfLYKTiyFZX9LEi2T1XgUQ9DwUHyEKQwqvonEj76pOHiKFfC6geRY0OnDqtC8N3dDxVtm5VMy5gLoY5GSspS-zII_kDOTVXtAcECC8RgVhwQzLX1fG2mNESpCMUZjUZlef6l9ngwxjo31NUEbKI29zZ5isoDC5CnSoUAf2GXXhsikD-nJIGM_gEm-m_41pIOSSFtD85QHTvpQRdyU_AIaBqcCEHOfELlhI3PWd_it0TqSFyC27uuNzPoueGhOJvfGGKBJ66W2ne-sN2tCYh-RRCDWxPx0LYzaNG5H3Irf4nw5REUxqrxuk8Rd1lwmEHg_wLTRPTez-wdTYjTzbVqOme7w-pqzcSbEqcGckehErBn9B2wNLqyvwFi4oZrrt_r50gF-tiFzEBBzCf_OhS7oTTE34Pe2MpsOX0dgzWCzkwtuvvvArnPX6uy9o1aqyeTaoVg3AXmSPecftylKRz2rhPGtZu2_QXfsT8g6O7EVTdfmwmOzAPpVmCsigViAK4KJKcn1T8oCwZ2zkXq5TGF4-qoeSUd27jXuMwXrG-L4u1V42JFCwD6qWBOoN_tp4D5ulDUdXhmV1NTsPFizHUZOXh5HMyoIqkVF3dCAnetqb7I2WKgwDnoLqGB3-5uQFjOfrR6OygU7JXM7yKd9QTEfjaMlbDEfWjVvqEIzpKiK1vqbgSCXUJ5vyCuR44hExx0Tzcsq6HZG7TGqY2zjG7cmY1IIj1JM_qlU-dRkhyfwiUJOTjrUM-7ARd2LQlsD8G3JO--uD0hDq70gLwcHiIwJ3M3wxhlO5IsRQwP1yBArLn5z8tkkovE_HnA3LtVms1DOK-7G-MIsJ8lvL-PfT3oKJt3pGX4VOA=w857-h1142-no?authuser=0

No image showing for me

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

44 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

No image showing for me

how bout meow?

• Like 1

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

29 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

Odd, shows up on my phone but not my desktop. Hm. Pixl has lefty 1 & 2 iron heads! Lucky...

They were a kind gift from @mkp when my son was born...........10 years ago..........

I think Ill head over to ebay now and see if I can find  some .370 S300 long enough for them.

Seemore mFGP2 

29 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

how bout meow?

Purdy  🙂

I happen to have a 1 iron, also.  It's shafted up, but sitting around doing nothing at the moment.

• Like 4

On 10/25/2022 at 3:29 PM, NRJyzr said:

In terms of physical characteristics, I would think the Maltby TE Forged irons are the closest.  There aren't a lot of irons in the modern landscape with a CG that low, though the TE Forged are even lower.

image.png.f246cd6b2c0c098e335304fcc14126fd.png

image.png.c9088af57b4303ad36f69511892ac42a.png

I actually built a TE Forged gap wedge for that reason.  Love the club and have often thought about building out a set.  The gun metal/black finish irons look amazing online.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 9:12 PM, JAMH03 said:

Has it been 24 years already??? Wow!

I still have a brand new set somewhere. Maybe a round or 3 on them if that. Maybe they're in storage IDK haven't seen then for a long time.

Found myself to be huge fan of the Revolution golf ball and then the A10 they performed.

The Macgregor PCB's MT's Maxfli VHL's and the Revolution irons were aspirational for me I NEEDED to have them but when I got them I didn't at all find the Revolutions to perform anything like they looked.

Thanks for the comparisons @NRJyzr I agree this is a great way to tell what's similar to the Revo's

At the same time I wouldn't look for the most similar iron to the Revo I think there are other irons that will probably perform better for you @BlackDots

All of my experience and instincts say start with a shaft evaluation even if you just ball park it and then try a few I'd bet you can get better performance out of something that really suits how you load and unload the shafts.

I'd absolutely try and start with a Nippon product if you don't know where to start I think they may perform better than many other steel shafts.

image.png

I'm going to bite the bullet this winter and get a fitting session ot two in.  I'm old enough to have the "dig it out of the dirt, it's the carpenter not the hammer" mentality so have always been a little skeptical of the big box golf shop fitting process.....

• 6 months later...

@BlackDots, so... How did it go?

I am basically the same, only my 8 iron goes 150m (I've been playing same clubs on and off since '98), 100% totally addicted to the feeling you get when you middle the black dot maxfli, playing a bit more now and feel like a fitting is the way to go, I tried Titleist T100 for a few rounds but didn't like them much, interested to know what you ended up with and if it has improved your golfing experience?

• Like 1

I went with the Matlby KE4 Max.

KE4 Max

Similar (at least smallish) head,  and the ball just jumps off the face.  Grabbed a 3 driving iron/hybrid to match and I haven't regretted a thing.  Lofted differently than the Maxfli's, obviously, so probably half a club longer than the similarly lofted Maxfli. 

I struggled with the gapping, hit my 6 iron 6 or 7 yards longer than the 7 with my Maxfli's, and similar gapping between 6 and 5.  I flew the Maxfli 5 160 yards, i fly the Maltby 5 180 yards, and effortlessly.  Forgiving and very easy to hit and the price was definitely right.

Screenshot_20230514_173307_Chrome.jpg

Edited by BlackDots
Typos and adding comment....
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, BlackDots said:

@WristySwing

I'm overwhelmed with the options now. I'm just getting back into playing regularly and am starting to hit some consistent shots.  I'm on a big time budget, too, so am likely looking into something used inside the last 5 years, or a component company. 

A really solid option would be Srixon one-piece forged cavity backs from the last 6-7 years. 

The Z765 is among my favorites. If you want a slightly bigger profile the Z565 would be the ticket. You can probably find a good set for $350 or so with shafts that fit you. 

In Srixon world a 7 indicates the "players cavity" option. Z745, Z765, Z785 are all slight variations on this theme before they went to the ZX7. All of these should look pretty comfortable to you coming from the Revs. 

A 5 in a Srixon iron indicates a slightly larger, more forgiving head: Z545, Z565, Z585, ZX5. A 9 is a muscle back: Z945 etc. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS