Which Miura iron is the “Gold Standard”

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve played the Mb101, Tc201 and Mc501. They were all great, but for me, if there’s going to be a set I’ll own forever, it’ll be the mb101. That’s why, despite the extraordinarily high price, I got them. I’ve changed the shafts already and the 3 and 4 iron probably won’t see a lot of play, but I’ll keep these heads forever 

On 11/30/2022 at 11:13 AM, Undecisive_golfer said:

I’ve played the Mb101, Tc201 and Mc501. They were all great, but for me, if there’s going to be a set I’ll own forever, it’ll be the mb101. That’s why, despite the extraordinarily high price, I got them. I’ve changed the shafts already and the 3 and 4 iron probably won’t see a lot of play, but I’ll keep these heads forever 

Quite decisive of you.  

Does the TC 201 live up to Miura standards for feel and consistency?  I read one review that said it doesn't.   

@Oh Hi Carl

I ordered CB-801 irons 5-PW, 2* strong. I like having a matching gap wedge but the LH wedges aren’t available, so I said screw it and got a TB-901 PW bent 2* weak.

I’ve hit the CB-801’s before and fell in love. Decided to pull the trigger with the sale. I feel crazy but also really excited.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

6 hours ago, localpar3guy said:

@Oh Hi Carl

I ordered CB-801 irons 5-PW, 2* strong. I like having a matching gap wedge but the LH wedges aren’t available, so I said screw it and got a TB-901 PW bent 2* weak.

I’ve hit the CB-801’s before and fell in love. Decided to pull the trigger with the sale. I feel crazy but also really excited.

You'll have a great setup there.  I hope you love'em.  

On 12/1/2022 at 7:59 PM, Oh Hi Carl said:

Quite decisive of you.  

Does the TC 201 live up to Miura standards for feel and consistency?  I read one review that said it doesn't.   

I think it does. It may have a subtle difference compared to a blade but that is subjective. They are not baby blades, they are cavities. I game the older CB1008s myself, have a 2008 6i which is a different construction and you can feel the differences between them back to back, but they are also still Miuras when middled you know. 

Ian at TXG who can get any clubs he wants, games/ed the 201s and still speaks highly of them even during the MC502 review they did last week which is another example of subtle things with irons can put a player in a more positive head space about them to prefer to use them.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

I think it does. It may have a subtle difference compared to a blade but that is subjective. They are not baby blades, they are cavities. I game the older CB1008s myself, have a 2008 6i which is a different construction and you can feel the differences between them back to back, but they are also still Miuras when middled you know. 

Ian at TXG who can get any clubs he wants, games/ed the 201s and still speaks highly of them even during the MC502 review they did last week which is another example of subtle things with irons can put a player in a more positive head space about them to prefer to use them.

Thanks for the response.  That's helpful.  I play the CB57s now and am interested in trying the 201s for comparison.  

17 hours ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

Different feels between those two. Strike for strike. My opinion. 

I totally agree. Both are excellent irons but feel a little different.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

6 hours ago, nitram said:

I totally agree. Both are excellent irons but feel a little different.

CB-57 bit higher COG, lower trajectory, feels great.

TC-201 bit lower COG, higher trajectory, feels odd to me as I prefer to COG location of the CB-57. 

If you want a comparison, or are looking for a CB-57 alternative, from my experiences, the closest would be Miura Giken's CB-1006.

• Like 2

I gamed the MC-501 for a season back when they came out. Such lovely irons. I've had a few sets of the 1957 Baby Blades, too. All such joys to hit. Such an addicting feeling when struck well. I've always been a fan of the looks of th CB-1008. Love the shaping, especially the sharper lines and squared toe. If a Miura iron makes it way back in the bag, it'll likely be that.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:59 PM, Oh Hi Carl said:

Quite decisive of you.  

No Miura iron is worth the price honestly, but the TC 201 in my opinion is the best iron they make. The Gold Standard has to be the Baby Blades, but yeah in my opinion (I have owned 16 irons sets in the past two years, including 3 Miura sets) TC 201 are a perfect harmony of feel/sound, forgiveness, consistency and performance. 

Respect everyone's opinions but I feel like saying 201s don't live up isnt fair. If anything I think their MBs cant live up to they hype. I had a better expierence with P7TW and mizuno 221s. To each his own! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, R5Two said:

No Miura iron is worth the price honestly, but the TC 201 in my opinion is the best iron they make. The Gold Standard has to be the Baby Blades, but yeah in my opinion (I have owned 16 irons sets in the past two years, including 3 Miura sets) TC 201 are a perfect harmony of feel/sound, forgiveness, consistency and performance. 

Respect everyone's opinions but I feel like saying 201s don't live up isnt fair. If anything I think their MBs cant live up to they hype. I had a better expierence with P7TW and mizuno 221s. To each his own! 

Miura Giken heads in Japan used to cost way less than $100 per head and I am going only off memory  but you could get heads only of say the MB-5002 for like $550 or so for the 3-PW

I will second this with regards to the 201's but my reference would the the giken version; the TC-101. Now you have to caveat that with the fact that I went the MCW route and the specs on my TC-101's are pretty aggressive with face progression, also the double cut sole, thin topline (which is really only done with polishing) and the copper under nickel chrome satin for a finish certainly helps with feel. 

Edited by Diamana_Stinger
  • Like 1

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0117 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

Cb1008. Like many others that posted before, I always seem to come to these irons. Just the right size, shape and feel make it a serious contender as a “forever” iron set. Highly recommend 

• Like 1

TSR3 8* w Autoflex 505x shaft
Titleist 915fd w Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Fujikura Tour Spec Blue 7 

Miura CB1008 4i-PW w Oban CT-115 S shafts
Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60* w Oban Ct-115 wedge shafts
Scotty Cameron Red X center shafted putter (I love anything CS)
Titleist Prov1x

It's dang hard not to say one of their blades like the Baby Blade, 001 or 101 but you definitely have to have the game and practice a lot. I was HOPING I would be able to get more time in on the range at least but no. I have now resorted back to gaming Miura but the TC-201 which gave me less distance lost on poor strikes compared to the MB 101 I had in my split set. 

I honestly feel that the 201 aren't far off from feeling legendary. I really enjoy them paired with the Modus 120x. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115 S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Cruiser

Titleist Pro V1

My clubs came in the mail the other day. The CB-801’s and TB-901 are beautiful. Kinda meaty in the 8-PW, the 3-6 irons look so thin, but the 8-PW have meat to them. Not massive or ugly at all, but interesting how thin and small the long irons look compared to the scoring clubs.

Compared to my current irons, the soles are stupid thin as my Honma’s have wide soles. But the top lines are similar, club head sizes are similar. The CB’s are not intimidating at address, neither is the TB-901 PW. They look great, offset is perfect to the eye and uniform throughout the set.

I play my first round with them tomorrow, very excited.

50B111B8-2687-472D-A396-19EB58F013A9.jpeg

2FD7E92E-F777-4DB0-BA64-51FEF4BC41DF.jpeg

Edited by localpar3guy
  • Like 3

Callaway Mavrik 9*

Honma 747 3W 15*

Honma 747 5W 18*

Honma TW-X 4-11

Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 56*/60*

2019 Toulon San Diego

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 6:23 PM, Oh Hi Carl said:

Thanks for the feedback on 201s vs CB57.  I may buy a single 201 from 2nd Swing and use their 60-day play guarantee to see if I like it.

I had the TC201. 

game the MC501 and also have CB501, CB57 and the MB 001. 

i was disappointed in the feel of the 201 realative to those other ones. 

But the 201 is still an amazing iron relative to all the other irons out there… just came up short relative to some of the greatest irons of all time… 

i have so many pure forged CBs that my curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to try some of these new tech packed Pings, so enter the i59 and i230 which I replaced the 201 with… 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 5:39 AM, bvanlieu said:

Just ordered my first set of Miuras and I was struggling a little bit on which set to go with. This is really what ended up helping me make my mind up. Ian played the 201’s for 2 years when he could literally play any iron he wanted. That speaks a lot about them in my opinion. He may switch to the 502’s this year but he still says the 201’s are awesome irons and a little more forgiving.