2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

40 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

imagine they rain in spending but continue to be a ultra conservative pr nightmare ;}

They already have a big internal problem as the power behind the throne are ultra conservatives while the population is relatively young and far less so

There’s quite a bit of research out there which shows that the hierarchy has squandered so much wealth that it puts the country’s future standard of living in real jeopardy and that’s not sitting well with the younger generation 

17 minutes ago, Dicka said:

What an absolute load of nonsense. Australia does not need new expensive housing estates on golf courses. We need affordable housing for young people that currently have virtually no hope of entering the market.

So the notion that Norman would do something like this to ease the housing crisis...spare us.

Where did I say that he would be doing it to ease a housing crisis?

It’s a business opportunity in a buoyant property market 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dicka said:

What an absolute load of nonsense. Australia does not need new expensive housing estates on golf courses. We need affordable housing for young people that currently have virtually no hope of entering the market.

So the notion that Norman would do something like this to ease the housing crisis...spare us.

Thank you for that explanation.  I was trying to figure out exactly why a nation of just under 27 million would or could possibly need “millions” of homes.  Forced one to think you all lived outdoors.🤔 Although we do become accustomed to @tomjas exaggerating a bit for dramatic reasons.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

11 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Thank you for that explanation.  I was trying to figure out exactly why a nation of just under 27 million would or could possibly need “millions” of homes.  Forced one to think you all lived outdoors.🤔 Although we do become accustomed to @tomjas exaggerating a bit for dramatic reasons.

You can figure it out by a quick search as there’s literally thousands of articles on the subject 🙃

Here’s one for your reading pleasure 

https://www.brokernews.com.au/news/breaking-news/report-australia-faces-decadelow-housing-supply-crisis-284351.aspx

15 hours ago, NetBogey said:

i guess it's a good thing liv didn't have a tournament this week ... 

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 8:36 AM, tomjas said:

Norman has designed 100+ courses and that’s 1 example I randomly picked 

Feel free to pick another 

http://www.gngcd.com/courses/

If it didn’t matter who designed the course then why do Norman, Nicklaus, etc  get paid to do it?

I don't understand all the Norman hate on this board.  I've played 11 Norman courses and would play all of them again.  A few of them like Red Sky are spectacular.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tomjas said:

You can figure it out by a quick search as there’s literally thousands of articles on the subject 🙃

Here’s one for your reading pleasure 

https://www.brokernews.com.au/news/breaking-news/report-australia-faces-decadelow-housing-supply-crisis-284351.aspx

And that’s all it took…thank you.  Although, I feel compelled  to add that a target of 1.2 million homes is at best 50% of your quote saying they  need “millions” plural. 👍

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

On 5/26/2024 at 7:09 AM, idrive said:

Not sure how a development that's 35 years in the making is helping Oz build "millions of new houses immediately".

Greg designed the golf course. Has nothing to do with the development of the project. I'd venture a guess it wouldn't have mattered who designed the golf course.

Looking I get not liking Greg but he was/did some of development of Pelican Waters.  Small area near the course. Greg is a developer also which many dont know.   I was surprised to find that out years back. 

He retained a portion o the land I recall with his design contract for the course.   No not the entire development by any menas but he did develop the land with the course he retained per agreements.

Greg has his golf course design firm and has a real estate development compnay:  *Some here in the US even

https://gregnormanrealestate.com/greg-norman-developments/

* He only did 514 lots as I think that was what was left from the course deal.  So 100% not saving the housing market.

https://gngcd.com/

*His golf course design company 

Given Pelican Waters is the type development I do for a living, 35 years seems long if it has been around that long.  Maybe market area aspects.    It is 2001 acres (810 hectares) so pretty large.   A 2200+  acre development I have worked on for 14 years has been around for 20+ years and only 75% done.  They take time.... a lot of time LOL

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

I don't understand all the Norman hate on this board.  I've played 11 Norman courses and would play all of them again.  A few of them like Red Sky are spectacular.

Red Sky is a great mountatin course.   I am hit or miss on his designs, but that one is really good.

22 hours ago, Dicka said:

Intersting all the comments that say @tomjas is "exaggerating" on needing millions homes.    

If you have not been to AUS in the last year it was shocking to see the housing prices and demand.  Makes what we went though in the US seem mild. 

More shocking was how they do mortages.   They are 3-4 ARMS until the house is paid off.  IE: what crashed the US. 

Granted the government does all the loans, no private lending.  Or so I was informed so they make sure to control rates more then we do in the US to make sure people are not pushed / crash the market

Australia created a housing council to figure out what to do.   * Thought it we be better a year later, but SIL said it is probalby worse

Below if from May of this year.   They dont need the "rant of 1.2 million" by many but it appears they do need close to million over the next five years. 

Thu 2 May 2024 11.00 EDT

Australia’s housing affordability “crisis” will continue to worsen with a “significant shortfall in supply”, according to the government’s own expert council.  In its first-ever state of the housing system report, the National Housing Supply and Affordability Council described Labor’s target of building 1.2m new homes over five years as “suitably ambitious” because it projects only 943,000 will be built in that time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

And that’s all it took…thank you.  Although, I feel compelled  to add that a target of 1.2 million homes is at best 50% of your quote saying they  need “millions” plural. 👍

Virtually every expert agrees that it’s a made up figure and doesn’t take into account immigration levels, decrease in average occupancy per dwelling, etc 

Situation is a mess with no solutions 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CDM said:

Looking I get not liking Greg but he was/did some of development of Pelican Waters.  Small area near the course. Greg is a developer also which many dont know.   I was surprised to find that out years back. 

He retained a portion o the land I recall with his design contract for the course.   No not the entire development by any menas but he did develop the land with the course he retained per agreements.

Greg has his golf course design firm and has a real estate development compnay:  *Some here in the US even

https://gregnormanrealestate.com/greg-norman-developments/

* He only did 514 lots as I think that was what was left from the course deal.  So 100% not saving the housing market.

https://gngcd.com/

*His golf course design company 

Given Pelican Waters is the type development I do for a living, 35 years seems long if it has been around that long.  Maybe market area aspects.    It is 2001 acres (810 hectares) so pretty large.   A 2200+  acre development I have worked on for 14 years has been around for 20+ years and only 75% done.  They take time.... a lot of time LOL

Pelican Waters was before its time but is now prime real estate & same can be said for many of them e.g. Sanctuary Cove was a swamp in the middle of nowhere when it kicked off

The project in which I am involved was 30 years before its time and we are the 4th owner 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunterdog said:

I wonder if PIF’s reevaluation of expenses will affect PGAT/PIF negotiations or what PIF will be willing to pay to employ golfers in the future. Will the “irrational actor” become more rational.?

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/saudi-sovereign-wealth-fund-reorganize-management-amid-budget-crunch-sources-say-2024-05-24/

Could be interpreted as MBS stripping ARum of a degree of authority/autonomy.

Having other “managers assume some internal responsibilities from governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan, “

sounds like it’s something being possibly put into play from above ARums pay grade. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tomjas said:

Anyway, enough of Australian property & back to golf

I have no idea why LIV is staging its next event in Houston when Texas is already home to lots of professional tournaments 

Seems like overkill to me & destined for failure 

LIV tournaments in the US try to capitalize on places the PGAT has neglected. Houston was one of those when they put the Houston Open on the fall schedule and last year didn't have a tournament... was the bridge year of no more fall schedule. 

New England, Chicago, PNW, Miami are others where LIV has had tournaments that the PGAT doesn't seem to make a priority. 

I do agree that this upcoming LIV Houston will probably be a bust. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hunterdog said:

I wonder if PIF’s reevaluation of expenses will affect PGAT/PIF negotiations or what PIF will be willing to pay to employ golfers in the future. Will the “irrational actor” become more rational.?

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/saudi-sovereign-wealth-fund-reorganize-management-amid-budget-crunch-sources-say-2024-05-24/

Wondered from the beginning if any player considered what would happen in the checkbook got taken away.  LIV's sponsor  revenue won't keep the lights on.  

Probably don't care, they would just shrug and move on.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aus10KC said:

LIV tournaments in the US try to capitalize on places the PGAT has neglected. Houston was one of those when they put the Houston Open on the fall schedule and last year didn't have a tournament... was the bridge year of no more fall schedule. 

New England, Chicago, PNW, Miami are others where LIV has had tournaments that the PGAT doesn't seem to make a priority. 

Team championship is in Dallas so they've got Texas covered. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

10 hours ago, aus10KC said:

What’s tough with this Houston event is the timing. It’s brutally hot and humid from May to September in Houston. You really want to have a tournament around March to provide decent weather for the players and fans.

That said, there are 7 million people in the Houston region and plenty of them will be willing to put up with the scorching weather to watch players like Bryson & Koepka.