2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

1 hour ago, GG43 said:

Here is my take on all of this stuff. 

1.  For the last x # of years, PGA Tour is fat, dumb and happy (or maybe unhappy).  Not innovating, living in the past, bad TV product, etc.

2.  Saudi Arabia is changing.  Their economy is being diversified and they are trying to become a global power in terms of sports / cultural / political influence to match the importance of their hydrocarbon-driven economy

3.  Having invested in soccer, etc, Saudis decide to get into the golf game.  They have cash burning a hole in their pockets. The PIF is an irrational actor from an economic standpoint because they are investing in something beyond sports when they makes these sports deals

4.  They approach PGA to discuss an investment in the PGA, make the game more global, yada, yada.  PGA says go "pound sand," no pun intended.   

5.  Frustrated at the cold shoulder, they hire Greg Norman to create a league.  They throw incredible money at golfers who: are reaching the end of their careers, recognize a once in a lifetime shot at guaranteed life-changing money, have attractive wives with high burn rates, are young and talented but simply frustrated with the PGA Tour, or a combination thereof 

6.  League launches, the golf product is awful, but they continue to drain talent from the Tour because they are offering incredible, off-market contracts.  LIV isn't going anywhere anytime soon because it will be propped up by its PIF sponsor

7.  Tour realizes the Saudis aren't going anywhere, talent will continue to be siphoned off, golf is not united.  PGA decides they need to cut a deal (June 6 temporary "truce") so air doesn't continue to leak out of the PGA Tour balloon

8.  PGA doesn't have the capability or capital to negotiate a deal and brings in SSG so they have new capital and smart people in the room to negotiate a final deal with the PIF.  This has the added benefit of ensuring the PIF a minority investor. The governance issues will be the most difficult part to sort out as the Saudis don't want to sit at the kiddie table at board meetings

I can't imagine Yassir being undermined by Peter Malnati.  PIF says kick rocks and signs Rory to LIV 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

While we're being candid, I don't want to see any of them on my TV screen, not even on replay telecasts.🤣 

~PS/ Especially Sergio.

Ha! 

I just sayin there is now ONE scenario under which I could see watching LIV for more than 18 seconds.

If Rahm and BK were in a final group, neck and neck for the lead

Although I probably would not be able to make it through anywhere near the whole round come to think of it. Not with Poulter and Pat Perez and the mumble rap. 

Ok, so I would try to remember to put on LIV for the final 2-3 holes to see if BK and Rahm were still playing close ftw and attempt to watch!

See, thats the scenario under which I would watch LIV for…20-30 minutes

All they need to do is spend another $50 Billion and I might watch a couple of hours one day 🤣

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, idrive said:

Seems the "untruths" abound.  But the truth is -  IMO -  it comes from the liv schills more than the non schills. You defending them is going to help calm things down?

You really thought/think that? Really? Really, really?

Here's a fact for you. The liv guys playing in other tournaments is for the purpose of getting OWGR points.

Are the LIV schills bombarding the PGA Tour Discussion Thread (***No Politics***) or is it the other way around?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

If you want to see a lot of golf shots, what's better? 140+ player fields, playing 72 holes, with field sizes post-cut that are larger than LIV? Or 50ish players playing only 54 holes? Which one has more shots to see? 

Having more shots to see, and seeing more shots on the broadcast are different animals.  I cannot speak to ESPN+ coverage, only the weekend coverage on network tv, and I will also admit that after LIV came on scene those broadcasts were "adjusted" but there was a night and day difference in how many shots were shown between the two.

• Like 1

Here's an article that just posted .  Me in Arnolds voice - Make my day... 🤣

Spieth, a policy board member, feels that an alliance with the PIF is unnecessary, despite the current schism between the tour and LIV Golf, which the PIF bankrolls.

“I don’t think that it’s [an agreement with PIF] needed,” Spieth said ahead of this week’s AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.

“At this point, if the PIF were interested in coming in on terms that our members like and/or the economic terms are at or not beyond SSGs... I think that’s where the discussions will start.”

Spieth’s comments Wednesday are interesting considering the PGA Tour said it would continue to hold negotiations with the PIF. The tour’s deal with SSG allows for a co-investment with the PIF, as noted in a memo released to players Wednesday.

Spieth then admitted that members of the PGA Tour remain split about a possible investment from PIF, noting that players feel strongly “on both sides.”

Earlier in the week, Rory McIlroy completely changed his tune, saying that suspended LIV golfers should be allowed to “come back” to the PGA Tour. He has also called for a unified, global tour, where the best players traverse the world competing against one another.

“That’s Rory’s viewpoint,” Spieth said.

“I could name some guys with the same viewpoint; I could name some guys with a totally opposite viewpoint. So it’s certainly mixed on how players feel about that.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just announced is LIVs partnership with Google to allow viewers to watch “Any Shot. Any Time” live during the broadcast harnessing Google cloud services.

The LIV broadcast has improved with every event and will now be pushing the boundaries of TV coverage all thanks to what sounds like an amazing behind the scenes team.

IMG_9665.jpeg.2f2fc396a8a7bc6910269104dc288c0c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Just announced is LIVs partnership with Google to allow viewers to watch “Any Shot. Any Time” live during the broadcast harnessing Google cloud services.

The LIV broadcast has improved with every event and will now be pushing the boundaries of TV coverage all thanks to what sounds like an amazing behind the scenes team.

Right on que Jack - Thanks 🤣  You realize this is a Schill acct. right?

People will do, say anything when paid a stupid amount of money. Sounds like these people have never been around  the block before.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still find all this very depressing.  My take on the current position is:

- a group of players wanting to “grow the game” have taken money to set up a competitor to the PGA Tour; and

- the PGA tour has responded by finding an investor so they can pay players to avoid them leaving.

Neither of the above make the game better overall for fans, or for sponsors, who want to see the top players playing each other at top (historic?) venues as frequently as possible.

Until the focus is how to build a framework that encourages top players to play each other more often, I fear we are missing the point.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

7 minutes ago, PhilWhitUK said:

I still find all this very depressing.  My take on the current position is:

- a group of players wanting to “grow the game” have taken money to set up a competitor to the PGA Tour; and

- the PGA tour has responded by finding an investor so they can pay players to avoid them leaving.

Neither of the above make the game better overall for fans, or for sponsors, who want to see the top players playing each other at top (historic?) venues as frequently as possible.

Until the focus is how to build a framework that encourages top players to play each other more often, I fear we are missing the point.

I agree with you but... it seems the pif wants an arm and a leg, not just an arm in all of this or a deal with them would be done by now.  IMO

It seems that professional golf has screwed the pooch and jumped the shark all in one motion.

LIV television viewer numbers are so bad that they have stopped reporting them.  The league’s sole purpose is to showcase a certain region of the world and being a punchline to a bad joke is not what they want.

The PGA, in the meantime, cedes the moral high ground and brings in $3B of investor money.  Their claim to fame of supporting charities and having the best players in their ranks is now an illusion.  And the product they put on TV week after week is a snoozer even to the most ardent golf fan.

Could see a scenario where only the Masters, US & British Open have any meaning in the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

This is a good idea, but to be the Masters you need a camera crew with every player. LIV’s model will have a bunch of distant shots I’d imagine. Still, a great idea and a step in the right direction.

The PGA Tour would do this type of thing if they could make it work financially. Only LIV can right now because they don’t need an immediate return on it.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

4 hours ago, the bishop said:

Nonsense.  Peter will come to board meetings, lead a drum circle and kumbaya chant and pass out Kind bars.  It'll all be good.

Yea, Peter (#243) must be relying on trickle down economics or just likes hanging with the starters.  This deal even furthers the "us and them" players, the starters and the practice squad. The rich get even richer and will soon be so stuffed with bucks and self impotance that grinding out shots at events will be secondary.  For me personally, I like the Kisner and Harman type players who are grinders - the underdogs chasing for a win on Sunday.  Without them in the field, I lose interest.

And this takes us to a very possible risk to the tour.  As the practice squad guys start seeing the further separation in paystubs, Papa PIF and Norman target them.  Someone has already duly noted that Monahan's new sugar daddy is still pocket-change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Ha! 

I just sayin there is now ONE scenario under which I could see watching LIV for more than 18 seconds.

If Rahm and BK were in a final group, neck and neck for the lead

Although I probably would not be able to make it through anywhere near the whole round come to think of it. Not with Poulter and Pat Perez and the mumble rap. 

Ok, so I would try to remember to put on LIV for the final 2-3 holes to see if BK and Rahm were still playing close ftw and attempt to watch!

See, thats the scenario under which I would watch LIV for…20-30 minutes

All they need to do is spend another $50 Billion and I might watch a couple of hours one day 🤣

"All they need to do is spend another $50 Billion and I might watch a couple of hours one day 🤣"

🤣Absolutely! What's weird about it is that BK and Cam Smith were two of my favorite players to watch play golf and for some reason, I've yet to watch them in close to two years. Totally weird....🤣

Maybe one day I'll take LIV seriously.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

This is a good idea, but to be the Masters you need a camera crew with every player. LIV’s model will have a bunch of distant shots I’d imagine. Still, a great idea and a step in the right direction.

The PGA Tour would do this type of thing if they could make it work financially. Only LIV can right now because they don’t need an immediate return on it.

LIV will have a camera following each player, 2 drones, 11 free-roaming handhelds, and shot tracer-style on everything.  

image.png.2aab9f5839bfdbb9167d869e1fec447c.png

4 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

LIV will have a camera following each player, 2 drones, 11 free-roaming handhelds, and shot tracer-style on everything.  

They said they have 60 total cameras, but I thought that included hole cameras

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

5 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

"The any shot, any time feature is expected to roll out in full this summer"

Promises, promises.  I guess seeing is believing but we've not seen it yet so...

7 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

PGAT is just fine Dan. Televised golf is a game of strategy, advancing to different levels, drama, and exciting competition......not, who can show the most golf shots without context.

~Please be advised that I'm a professional golf watcher.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1