2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

8 minutes ago, hunterdog said:

I have thought about that. What if the Saudis started competing events against the dates of the four majors? Purse for each event =  $100 million, $50 million to winner; and bonus pool for how the players compete in all four events. Exemptions based on fame, past 20 years results in majors, all LIV players, and top 30 from PGAT if they are exempt into the majors. Who plays where?

Playing exhibition tour faux majors would cost any current PGA Tour/DP Tour players a suspension from their tour.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, heynow said:

One way to bring both the tours together is to have top 12 PGA vs top 12 LIV match in complete Ryder / President's Cup style format.  

I would love to see it.  Scottie and Rory are teammates,   DJ and Rahm are teammates.  Wild!

It would never fly with golf fans.  It's DOA.  I can see why Liv would want such a competition as it would bring eyes to Liv.   

The organization that's trying to tear the PGA Tour apart wants a rivalry to get eyes on their product.  Good for Liv, bad for golf. 

Liv can't get viewers on their own so they poach PGA players, now they want to poach PGA Tour viewers.  Lol.  How about bringing an original product that doesn't disrupt?  Too hard?

• Like 3

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

There are 14 LIV golfers (at this stage, maybe more to come) registered to play the International Series Macau event in March in a bid to get OWGR points to get access to The Masters, Olympics etc.

Some of them may be unhappy with the No LIV event OWGR but many are now trying to play their way into these events.

MACAU - The field for the inaugural International Series Macau presented by Wynn has been further strengthened, with a host of LIV Golf League stars including recent Mayakoba champion Joaquin Niemann and Ryder Cup legend Ian Poulter set to join an all-star cast at the Macau Golf & Country Club from 14-17 March. 

https://www.livgolf.com/news/liv-golf-league-heavyweights-join-international-series-macau

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

6 hours ago, heynow said:

One way to bring both the tours together is to have top 12 PGA vs top 12 LIV match in complete Ryder / President's Cup style format.  

I would love to see it.  Scottie and Rory are teammates,   DJ and Rahm are teammates.  Wild!

It might work as a one-time event. But the juice would be there only if they are still separate? And if that's the case i don't think the PGA Tour would go for it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rapidcat said:

There are 14 LIV golfers (at this stage, maybe more to come) registered to play the International Series Macau event in March in a bid to get OWGR points to get access to The Masters, Olympics etc.

Some of them may be unhappy with the No LIV event OWGR but many are now trying to play their way into these events.

MACAU - The field for the inaugural International Series Macau presented by Wynn has been further strengthened, with a host of LIV Golf League stars including recent Mayakoba champion Joaquin Niemann and Ryder Cup legend Ian Poulter set to join an all-star cast at the Macau Golf & Country Club from 14-17 March. 

https://www.livgolf.com/news/liv-golf-league-heavyweights-join-international-series-macau

Would even winning this event help any of them that are not already eligible? Poulter is 439 for example. 

• Thanks 1

Many people are saying the iron heads and hyflyers needs to be relegated to the Asian tour.  My team is on the cusp brilliance but also in line for a top 5 draft pick next year. Some are saying we could be the Chiefs of LIV in the coming years! I‘d be perfectly fine with us playing like crap the rest of the year! Hopefully Yasir doesn’t dish out fines for intentionally tanking

11C15C42-BBD0-4097-A158-BB704FBE7D2E.jpeg

Edited by stinger_gc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, freeze16172002 said:

Has LIV? have you? You're posting about Garcias worldwide fanbase, maybe you should have something to back that up with. It sure ain't event ticket sales

lets see, whats more reasonable as a statement.  sergio garcia is irrelevant and forgotten or he is one of the greatest ryder cup members and has many fans around the world?  i use common sense to back up my post.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pingbling23 said:

lets see, whats more reasonable as a statement.  sergio garcia is irrelevant and forgotten or he is one of the greatest ryder cup members and has many fans around the world?  i use common sense to back up my post.....

Here's another way to backup @idrive

Think! LIV has dumped billions into recruiting some big golf names including Garcia. What's really significant here is that LIV has got to be one of the easiest sports to watch for FREE via app, YT, cw etc and they can barely muster an audience. So yes Sergio (and all the others) on the exhibition tour are now largely irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, idrive said:

Appears these guys are tired of staying home with their families.

I appreciate the humor, but this is a prime example of the PGAT limiting global golf. The PGAT hired Ben Marlow to assess OWGR+, then completely dismissed his findings, some of which are outlined below. The PGAT has built and intends to protect an American-centric tour with few meaningful player pathways & diversity opportunities. Without a merger, players basically have one option to get into the majors, and that's to play on the PGAT and, as a result, kill alternative tour competition.  

image.png.17f14f425697da9474737194ae407eb2.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

I appreciate the humor, but this is a prime example of the PGAT limiting global golf. The PGAT hired Ben Marlow to assess OWGR+, then completely dismissed his findings, some of which are outlined below. The PGAT has built and intends to protect an American-centric tour with few meaningful player pathways & diversity opportunities. Without a merger, players basically have one option to get into the majors, and that's to play on the PGAT and, as a result, kill alternative tour competition.  

The PGAT and others where involved not just the PGAT. The bodies of the OWGR where involved.

The independent review as I recall was done becuase OWGR covers golf globablly for rankings and how many viewed the PGAT uses the OWGR as a weapon in their favor.   Limiting players outside the PGAT from geting earning points to qualify for Majors.   *IE why the DP tour has the events where the winner or next in line based on finish get into the OPEN.  R&A I think did a good job with the DP Tour adding that years back

I never thought once regardless of the findings it was not going to change the OWGR at all. 

OWGR system is a flawed system in many ways and yes could be argued skewed to the PGATbut the other parties involved did not fight back once this came out .....so what does that tell you? 

This is a business.  If it is not SSG would not put billions into PGAT, LIV would not be dumping billions. All hoping for a return (somehow?) on a cap growth market which was in decline until covid and now a dimished talent pool in many ways.      

No one regardless of what type business would willing agree to do anything that would delute the "value" of what they have and if the changes noted would have hurt the PGAT why would they even think about adjusting the OWGR?

Bullet point 3... PGAT did listen as they bought the DP Tour for the most part.  Now taking the top talent off it each year, so one could say providing a pathway  🤣   *Though we all know that is not why they bought the DP Tour......

2 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Niemann already got invited to Augusta, why is he here ? 😂

He was entered in the event prior to receiving his Augusta invite this week and/or he is contractually mandated to play. Playing International Series events is a contract requirement for some of the mercenary tour players. There aren't that many OWGR points available in this event. Winner gets 15+ points. An average KFT type field. Not a large enough haul for the winner to substantially move up in the OWGR.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

The majors are under no obligation to use the owgr for anything. 

4 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

Where did this information originate? My google search for Ben Marlow OWGR turned up nothing. All I see is some twitter guy named duffer who is a LIV Golf stooge.

Edited by ahenderX