2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

TSR3 vs TSR4 forgiveness

jasonTeI3

49 minutes ago, Kurtis4K said:

This is just my opinion.  The 983 is probably the driver head shape i compare everything to and TSR4 looks very similar to me.

Awesome! You saying that convinces me that the TSR4 will be my next driver 💸

I’m very fond of the 905S and 983K shapes. Tsi3 looked very good to me but i4 just looked off

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

Just now, kasting333 said:

Awesome! You saying that convinces me that the TSR4 will be my next driver 💸

I’m very fond of the 905S and 983K shapes. Tsi3 looked very good to me but i4 just looked off

Do you want to smaller head?  Now I feel pressured to disclose that I am gaming the TSR3 (which to me is the best looking driver ever seen in many years).  I also am a fan of a bigger head because I don't always find the middle

Just now, Kurtis4K said:

Do you want to smaller head?  Now I feel pressured to disclose that I am gaming the TSR3 (which to me is the best looking driver ever seen in many years).  I also am a fan of a bigger head because I don't always find the middle

Yeah ideally I would have a lower spinning and more compact head that allows me to go up in loft, but the shape is just as important to me

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

4 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

Yeah ideally I would have a lower spinning and more compact head that allows me to go up in loft, but the shape is just as important to me

Great, then I think you are moving in the right direction.  Also noticed your WITB currently and I also went from OG Sim to Titleist this last year

• Like 1

I got the TSR4 on a whim and I love it. It is the best driver I have ever hit. Relatively long, but super straight and most misses go straight and actually go longer for me because how low spin they come out with. I play a 8* head with the weight forward and in D2 setting. It isn’t particularly low launch or spin but it’s just perfect for a high ss player. Hopefully it does me well this season on the few Asian Tour events I hopefully get into. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 300_yard_drives said:

I got the TSR4 on a whim and I love it. It is the best driver I have ever hit. Relatively long, but super straight and most misses go straight and actually go longer for me because how low spin they come out with. I play a 8* head with the weight forward and in D2 setting. It isn’t particularly low launch or spin but it’s just perfect for a high ss player. Hopefully it does me well this season on the few Asian Tour events I hopefully get into. 

Good luck with the tour events. As a fellow lefty it can be hard for us to get a good selection on clubs. I am a tad steep and swing the driver at 110-120 and play a PXG 7.5 driver.  What would be your typical miss? Do you find the face is slightly open/fade biased with the TSR4? My strike is more towards the middle/high toe area do you find it wants tp dip with low spin form the toe area stroke? 

56 minutes ago, JB lefty said:

Good luck with the tour events. As a fellow lefty it can be hard for us to get a good selection on clubs. I am a tad steep and swing the driver at 110-120 and play a PXG 7.5 driver.  What would be your typical miss? Do you find the face is slightly open/fade biased with the TSR4? My strike is more towards the middle/high toe area do you find it wants tp dip with low spin form the toe area stroke? 

I play a slight fade. My miss is slightly high toe and this is the first titleist driver it doesn’t go left when I miss there. I’m swinging 118-125 usually. 

Edited by 300_yard_drives

Weird.  Didn’t see this thread until today.  I went in today to hit the TSR2. Wanted to love it with the 1k.  Was just spinning it too much. Decided to try the 3 and 4.  The 3 was a no go.  The 4 felt great.  Was shocked.  Gave me the best results today for sure.  Almost too low.  Was getting 300 (total) yards with 154 and 157 mph ball speed which I didn’t think was possible.  Just that low of spin.  Didn’t get to mess with weights at all or adapter settings.  

Good to see more confirmation bias as I thought I must be dreaming that the 4 was that good.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 6:20 PM, Lemonde said:

I was very surprised as well with this stability of the stock 1K. I was swinging at 110 with between 160 and 170 ball speed. The shaft felt firm but in no way stiff like the Ventus black. I have the potential to hit in way left or right and I wasn’t seeing anything like this on misses.  Is this a golf course driver? Won’t know until April. 

Was this with the TX?

• 4 weeks later...

You may have seen this in other posts, but TSR4 was most forgiving to me:

Just got back and also played with my gamer in Vegas.  I am accepting my cut/fade and hitting that well, but also think I needs some loft for better flight characteristics.  TSR2, TSR4, Paradym and Paradym TD and my Rogue Max LS.  All with Ventus Blue 6S and we tried multiple other shafts but this was giving me best numbers. 

1. Para TD: did not like the TD, it it bad.  Both left and right misses.  It felt had to me, similar experience with it multiple times in my home hitting bays
  2. TSR2: good, and could have worked into it.  More lefts and rights but decent spin and such.
  3. Gamer/Rogue Max LS - what I have been seeing with Tarckman lately
  4. TSR4 - many solid strikes, some slightly higher on the face but spin was down.  Feel was great, better than my other.   We ended with lesser weights in the head (I think 4 in back and 4 in front), with 10 degree head.  I'll probably set to slight draw (B2 or C3).  Numbers below.

image.png.d9fc28d2bbeb1fd9f2f7cf683beab842.png

TSR4 with Ventus Blue 6S coming home.

• Like 1

Tensei 1K Black S shaft TSR4 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 3:05 PM, Wardman said:

You may have seen this in other posts, but TSR4 was most forgiving to me:

Just got back and also played with my gamer in Vegas.  I am accepting my cut/fade and hitting that well, but also think I needs some loft for better flight characteristics.  TSR2, TSR4, Paradym and Paradym TD and my Rogue Max LS.  All with Ventus Blue 6S and we tried multiple other shafts but this was giving me best numbers. 

1. Para TD: did not like the TD, it it bad.  Both left and right misses.  It felt had to me, similar experience with it multiple times in my home hitting bays
  2. TSR2: good, and could have worked into it.  More lefts and rights but decent spin and such.
  3. Gamer/Rogue Max LS - what I have been seeing with Tarckman lately
  4. TSR4 - many solid strikes, some slightly higher on the face but spin was down.  Feel was great, better than my other.   We ended with lesser weights in the head (I think 4 in back and 4 in front), with 10 degree head.  I'll probably set to slight draw (B2 or C3).  Numbers below.

image.png.d9fc28d2bbeb1fd9f2f7cf683beab842.png

TSR4 with Ventus Blue 6S coming home.

How has the 4 been since getting it home? I’m not able to swing yet but I’m torn on what I’ll end up going with degree wise. I play epic max ls 10.5 lofted down with hzrdus smoke black 6.5 and have no problem launching it in a nice mid/high window. I’m guessing with the weight back and probably paired with a ad-DI I’ll go 9 degree 

1 hour ago, bjno1300 said:

How has the 4 been since getting it home? I’m not able to swing yet but I’m torn on what I’ll end up going with degree wise. I play epic max ls 10.5 lofted down with hzrdus smoke black 6.5 and have no problem launching it in a nice mid/high window. I’m guessing with the weight back and probably paired with a ad-DI I’ll go 9 degree 

Good so far. I am learning to play my cut at the same time and the misses have been right side of fairway vs baby cut/fade. I went 10 degree to go up or down and if my swing speed slows the lift should help keep it airborne. 10deg right now with spin in the 25-2800 range. The Ventus is working well, moved the RDX to the rogue LS as back up. 

feel better!!

Edited by Wardman

Changed my order from 4 to the 3. Kept at 10°. 

I don't need tall the spin and launch reduction the 4 offers. I was looking to build a high long carry driver. I think I can do it with the 3. 

So TSR 3 10° with the graphite design UB shaft. I have a Ventus Blue TR I just need to find a Titleist adapter. I think I'll be able to achieve my goal going this route. 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, bjno1300 said:

Couple weeks now, and just came back from ClubChampion for some tweaks.  10degree set to B2.  Trackman data now says 105-110 club speed and 155-161 ball speed and 270ish carry.  Spin in around 24-2700 in Ventus VC Blue 6s.  For me, the club works.  I typically use AVX or Bridgestone Tour B X balls.  switched the weights to -2 in front and +3 in back.  Enjoying!

Edited by Wardman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 1:01 PM, Wardman said:

Couple weeks now, and just came back from ClubChampion for some tweaks.  10degree set to B2.  Trackman data now says 105-110 club speed and 155-161 ball speed and 270ish carry.  Spin in around 24-2700 in Ventus VC Blue 6s.  For me, the club works.  I typically use AVX or Bridgestone Tour B X balls.  switched the weights to -2 in front and +3 in back.  Enjoying!

Still working good for you? I’m getting out next week to finally hit balls. I think it’s time. Just saw a lefty tsr4 in person today. I’ve only seen right handed so far and man it was even better seeing the lefty!! If I didn’t play my driver at 45 I think I would have walked out with it even with the 1k in stiff. I really feel like I want a DI though. Man it looked good 

Still going well.  baby fades with it when I do the right work.  But overall very pleasing to the eye and sounds good to.  10.5 degree and I hit the 1k as well, very well on trackman....

• 6 months later...

Has anyone gone from a TSR4 to TSR3 lately? On the fence. Got fitted into a 4 and I have had some swing changes. Would like the slightly bigger profile for a visual “forgiveness” 

Cobra Aerojet LS 7.5* - Ventus TR Black 7X

Taylormade Stealth 15* - Ventus TR Black 8X

Taylormade Stealth 18* - Ventus TR Black 8X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50* - KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55*- KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60*- KBS $-Taper 130X

EvnRoll ER11v Midlock 

placed an order through titleist most recently for a tsr4 1k black combo. can't wait to see what it's about!

Qi10 ls 7.5*: Tour Ad VF 6 TX

Tsr3 15*: Tensei AV RAW White 85 TX

P-udi 20*: Recoil Dart f5

Titleist 620 mb: DG x100 tour issue

2020 Scotty cameron S.S. Newport 2

Humbled by the game of golf.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/17/2022 at 2:10 PM, Arlin964 said:

I also found the 4 to be “more forgiving” than the 3. Impact off of center I was punished less by the 4 than the 3 for some reason. Spin control, launch, and ball speed all were better on the 4 with the misses I had.  You’re not crazy. And this was with the heavy weight forward. 

I realize this is golfwrx so all equipment posts are subject to change in a year and a half but why the switch to the 2 per your sig?

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

I realize this is golfwrx so all equipment posts are subject to change in a year and a half but why the switch to the 2 per your sig?

Fair question.  I've been on a journey since then lol.  I really liked the head, but that was a time of life that was pretty hectic outside of golf, so I didn't end up getting to play as much as I wanted.  I never got comfortable with that setup (TSR4 9.0 with VA Drago 65X).  I ended up selling it before I gave it a solid chance.  This was about when the PING G430 Max came out so I decided it was time for a setup with more forgiveness.

As I look back on it now, likely the TSR4 would have been just fine for me but I think it was just the shaft wasn't a great "on-course" fit.  Most of last year I played with the G430 in a Ventus Blue TR 6X setup.  As the year went on, I was seeing more and more big misses both left and right.  So I went to another Titleist fitting in Sept 2023 because I wanted another outdoor fitting instead of indoor.  At that fitting, I was set up with the TSR2 9.0 with a Tour AD CQ 6S.  I've liked it a lot since then because I only have a one sided miss with it and I can live with that. 

I sold the VB TR 6X and kept the g430 head.  I've tried a few different shafts with it (even did a fitting at PING this spring) and this head just has a more prominent two-way miss.  The TSR2 is way more predictable for me and puts me in better approach positions.  And honestly it's probably mostly due to having a better shaft fit.  Maybe it just turns out I'm better in a Stiff profile as opposed to X at my swing speed (106-111).

• Like 1

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3