TSR3 vs TSR4 forgiveness

jasonTeI3

Anyone else done a fitting or hit both of these and notice a difference in forgiveness between the two? I don’t know if it was just my swing that day or what but it seemed like I got better results from misses with the 4 than the 3? I know the faces are constructed differently but I can’t find anything from Titleist saying the face, on the 4 in particular, is hotter across a larger area than the 3. 

• Like 2

This certainly wasn’t my experience with the R3 and R4, however I could see how this might be true for certain players. I think it all depends on your strike pattern and misses. Sounds like the R4 is a better fit for you than the R3.

My miss hits with the R3 retained more spin but the R4 was longer for me on center strikes. 

You are correct about the face.  

The 4 has the same VFT face as the 2. Meaning it will retain more ball speed across the face.   The 3 has the Soeed Ring, meaning the speed is centered around the center of the face as opposed to spread across. 

So even though the 4 is a smaller head, it can in fact be more forgiving for some.   The face depth is the same height.  So it doesn’t really appear to play smaller.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I found the 4 more forgiving than the 3 , it retained more ballspeed especially in the 3.5 setting (weight back.) My toe miss is not going to favourable with any of these Though. Spin drops to like 1500, same with my tsi4.

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

I also found the 4 to be “more forgiving” than the 3. Impact off of center I was punished less by the 4 than the 3 for some reason. Spin control, launch, and ball speed all were better on the 4 with the misses I had.  You’re not crazy. And this was with the heavy weight forward. 

Edited by Arlin964

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

1 hour ago, jasonTeI3 said:

Seems like a few of you felt the same as me. Biggest thing for me was that the spin on my strikes that were off center were closer to my center strikes with the 4. My misses with the 2 and 3 jumped up to 3200+ and just didn’t go anywhere.

Same for me. 4 was significantly better for me than both 3 and 2 on spin window.  And I’m not a stranger to all four quadrants of the driver face either. I’d have no business playing TSi4. 

I can’t wait to get it in my bag!

• Haha 2

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

I haven't had the chance to hit them yet, but based on the fitting videos I've seen, they've added a lot more utility with the TSR4 with the interchangeable weights at the front and rear. I've seen the weights swapped from the "standard" heavy up front and lighter weight in the back to make it more forgiving and it's a bomber.

18 minutes ago, CPGolf14 said:

I haven't had the chance to hit them yet, but based on the fitting videos I've seen, they've added a lot more utility with the TSR4 with the interchangeable weights at the front and rear. I've seen the weights swapped from the "standard" heavy up front and lighter weight in the back to make it more forgiving and it's a bomber.

Much like the Callaway Mavrik SubZero that had the same weight setup.  Lower spin with heavy weight forward; more spin with heavy weight in the rear.  

• Like 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

• 3 weeks later...

I game the TSR4 coming from the TSI4.  It's been the best driver I've hit during my years playing golf.  Tested both TSR3 and 4.  Have always preferred a smaller head (they both look pretty similar).  The TSR3 when hit in the center was very hot but ball speeds were pretty much the same on good strikes.  My miss hits with the 4 would hold a better line that the TSR3.  The TSI4 is a great driver but only if your hitting the center.  TSR4 is a massive difference in my opinion all the way around from the previous model.  

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, billycrimes said:

I game the TSR4 coming from the TSI4.  It's been the best driver I've hit during my years playing golf.  Tested both TSR3 and 4.  Have always preferred a smaller head (they both look pretty similar).  The TSR3 when hit in the center was very hot but ball speeds were pretty much the same on good strikes.  My miss hits with the 4 would hold a better line that the TSR3.  The TSI4 is a great driver but only if your hitting the center.  TSR4 is a massive difference in my opinion all the way around from the previous model.  

Are you playing the r4 with the heavy weight in the front or rear?

What loft head?  Loft adj?

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 9/17/2022 at 10:25 AM, jasonTeI3 said:

Anyone else done a fitting or hit both of these and notice a difference in forgiveness between the two? I don’t know if it was just my swing that day or what but it seemed like I got better results from misses with the 4 than the 3? I know the faces are constructed differently but I can’t find anything from Titleist saying the face, on the 4 in particular, is hotter across a larger area than the 3. 

Absolutely i agree 100 percent the 4 feels better an the head seems easier to square up i bought it a few weeks back when i had my TSR2 on order maybe i concentrate more because the head is smaller but i definitely hit it better than the 2 or the 3 

BirdieBob,

I have the TSR4 in a 9.0 head set at C1 so 8.25 degrees of loft.  Heavy weight in front.   Playing it two different shafts (HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 tipped 0.5 in & Diamana D+ LTD 60 TX untipped).  Can't figure out the shaft situation just yet but my misses off the tee have greatly reduced and off center hits go a long way.

• Like 1

I've played a TSR4 over the weekend. It's definitely more forgiving than TSi4. I've used stock Tensei Black shaft and it's the best Titleist driver ever made. Very easy to bend the ball and fairly long. I've missed one driver so bad, super thin and still went straight and found the middle of the fairway. But I've sold it yesterday, my Cobra LTDx LS is all that and already has my favorite shaft.

Edited by golfjam
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 9 Fuji Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth + 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

Titleist 818 H2 19 (@18.25) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Srixon MKII ZX4 4-5 ZX5 6  X7 7-PW DG 120 X100

Vokey SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M

LAB Putter DF3

• 3 weeks later...

Did a full fitting and started with the tsr3 and ended up in the TSR4 set for low spin (with an extra 2g of weight forward)

im a spin monster, but tend to be in the middle of the club face. Everything was better with the 4 across the board with strikes being mostly in the middle. 

I probably lose a little on the really bad strikes, but the reduced spin adds a ton of value for me… got my driver in this week and the results match the fitting.

it’s definitely worth a look if you are hunting for low spin.

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

The tsr4 was more forgiving over the R3 for me. My miss tend to be in the heel and it sustained ball speed without a huge drop off in distance. No it does save a flat out bad swing but it sure does help on the misses without a doubt. I’m inbetween shafts with the stock 1k and and Ventus black 6x tipped 1/2 which I spin more on average. Don’t sleep on the stock 1k shaft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, str8up said:

so which way should the weights be positioned front/rear to make it more forgiving?

Heavy weight in the back. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

This past Tuesday I did a fitting at Club Champion in Scottsdale with Stefan. (Highly recommend him). We went through the 2, 3 and 4 and the launch numbers for me supported the TSr3. Plus, I like the adjustability of the head a bit more. Stepping up ($$) to the Accra FX Gen3 shaft. Between getting a wee bit more ancient and recovering from a L5/S1 back fusion earlier this year (Thanks you Dr. Wang) this setup should work very well for me. 

Also replacing 5-year-old AP2's; 5-6 with T-200s and 7-PW with T100's and Recoil shafts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hoping some.of you guys that have the TSR4 see this. 

What loft did you go with? Lift up or down compared to previous driver. 

Did you have to change the type of  shaft? Did you have a low/low and went with a mid/ low etc ... 

Anyone have experience with this against the stealth plus? I currently have a plus in 9°. I liked it at first but the more I play it the more I just don't love it. 

My dispersion with the TSr3 and TSr4 (heavy weight back *TSr3.5) were very similar.  Speed was slightly higher with the 4 and I liked the look better, easy decision to go TSr4 for me.  

The Tsr4 with the heavy weight in the forward position sounds different and was a more difficult for me to control.  Both the 3 and 4 are excellent when properly fit.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

On 10/10/2022 at 4:58 AM, jdemocko said:

I have both heads in 8*.   Distance gains are negligible.   However, I have to give the nod to the R4 in terms of forgiveness.   

I play the TSi3 in 8* and I'm kinda on the border of needing the higher loft but still prefer the lower launch of my 8* head. Wondering if can you share or contrast launch numbers with these two compared the older Tsi3?

Edited by ballzo

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

On 9/17/2022 at 7:25 AM, jasonTeI3 said:

Didn't do a fitting, but hit TSR3, TSR2 each 460cc, and 430cc TSR4, bought TSR3 10'.   Regardless of what Titleist says, for most people, smaller 430cc head will be less forgiving than the larger heads because they don't use the center COG spot much, they tend to be all over the face.  Instead of buying a low-spin smaller driver, I accomplish similar low-spin effect by using DASH -ProV1x ball.  Remember, we amateurs are NOT nearly as consistent as Iron Byron; he uses the sweet spot ALL the time.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 1/18/2023 at 5:20 AM, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Does anybody else find that some drivers are wayy more easier to hit consistently in the middle or very close to? I was finding that true with the 3. Couldn't miss the center if i did barely. Maybe shaft? I also find this so be true with sim2.

Agree. 

With drivers, for the most part, I use the center.  Since my days playing 905-S with Grafalloy Blue fully inserted, Titleist Drivers have grown a tad easier to find the sweet smack.  But I can't overlook the contribution of Ventus shafts, helping that process. 

When I bought my first Ventus Velocore "RED" shaft for TS2, I was amazed, picked up some yards, and smacked some really long ones that benefited from fast conditions; I tested but skipped the TSi2.  Anyway, I bought Ventus Velocore BLUE 6 series "S", and found a pleasing improvement down range, slightly lower trajectory, that added some yards; thing is, dispersion is near null.  On a recent golf trip, I didn't miss a fairway over 4 days of play.  TSR3 wasn't in the bag then.  This weekend is the real test.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I saw toe and heel hits going just fine in the 3. Center was best but thats any club. The real freaky part was shots to the sides created a major club twist in my hands that i never felt before in my life but the results were ok. Big shots were big for me and ok shots were ok. Sounds normal but who knows.