Junior Golfer's Age, Height, Weight, Gear and Distance

MRx747

Just want to get a thread going with our kids size and distance as a measuring stick.

All distance in carry only please, as the roll varies in different part of the country or world.

My boy is 10, 4 feet 4 inches, 66 pounds. Been golfing for about 3 years. I believe he is short and small for his age, as he is one of the smallest kids in his class. 

He is using the new Flynn wedges and irons, Series 1. Driver, FW, and Hybrid are all SIM2 max heads with Flynn shafts.

Here are his distance is carry. 

56w 70 yardsBall speed around 60-63, club speed around 57.

52w 75 yards Ball speed around 65-70 club speed around 60.

Pw 85 yards Ball speed around 73-75, club speed around 55-63.

9i 95 yards Ball speed around 72-77, club speed around 60-65.

8i 105 yards Ball speed around 80-85, club speed around 60-65

7i 115 yards Ball speed around 85-90, club speed around 65.

6i 120 yards Ball speed around 90, club speed around 65.

5i 125 yards Ball speed around 85-90, club speed around 60-65.

4i 130 yards Ball speed around 85-90, club speed around 60-65.

Flynn H 120 yards Ball speed around 86-90, club speed around 62-64.

Sim2 H 130 yards Ball speed around 95-98, club speed around 62-64.

Sim2 F 140 yards Ball speed around 95-100, club speed around 65-70.

Sim2 Max Driver 170 yards  Ball speed around 100-105, club speed around 70-75.

Some of you guys might be in the game longer than me with older kids, so its the same old boring topic but isn't what a place like this is all about? Sharing and gathering information about junior golf.

I am still looking for the humor in the ASL comment. 

Is my kids having fun? Short answer is yes, but this is a whole different topic imo.

I am not sure how old your kid is, but sounds like he is much older than my kid, maybe we take this a little more serious than most, but knowing a 10 year old's yardage is very common these days, or at least from what I see in the SoCal area.

Maybe this forum isn't what it once was...... There are a lot of information about everything, but most are from years ago. 

Simply wanted to see what other kid's club distance were around my kids age across the country or world, because its the same very small group of boys playing in our area.

No worries! Maybe I am on the wrong site.

Peace out! 

• Like 2

It seems like you are looking to get a feel for where your kid is at with respect to his peers.  One of the longest threads on junior driving distance is here:

There are some kids that just hit it far.  Some have a natural speed. Some have a height/weight advantage. Some have both. We just did DriveChipPutt yesterday and watched a 12YO hit it 260-270.

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

2 hours ago, wildcatden said:

It seems like you are looking to get a feel for where your kid is at with respect to his peers.  One of the longest threads on junior driving distance is here:

There are some kids that just hit it far.  Some have a natural speed. Some have a height/weight advantage. Some have both. We just did DriveChipPutt yesterday and watched a 12YO hit it 260-270.

First I have seen of this thread, will check it out.

260-270 at 12 is mega, of course.

19 hours ago, MRx747 said:

Just want to get a thread going with our kids size and distance as a measuring stick.

All distance in carry only please, as the roll varies in different part of the country or world.

My boy is 10, 4 feet 4 inches, 66 pounds. Been golfing for about 3 years. I believe he is short and small for his age, as he is one of the smallest kids in his class. 

He is using the new Flynn wedges and irons, Series 1. Driver, FW, and Hybrid are all SIM2 max heads with Flynn shafts.

My just-turned 11yo daughter is big for her age at 5'1"/110lbs and has been playing for four years, tournaments for three. 

Club-for-club, her speeds are similar but your son has by about 5 yards on max carry per-club.  She plays mixed set of Mizuno Hot Metal 919/921 irons 7-GW (PW and GW have Ping ULT230 shafts, 7-9i have Recoil ESX 450 F1), SM7 56* 12, 60* 14; Ping G410 SFT 10.5* driver with TFC 80 senior shaft, Titleist TS2 16.5* with Air Speeder R2 40 Senior shaft; Cobra Women's RadSpeed 21* and 24* hybrids with Recoil ESX 450 F1 shafts. 

She doesn't give up much in power to any but a few of the top 11 yo golfers from Orlando and Palm Beach area, and hits far enough to play bogey golf from HS distances.  She gives away some yards thanks to a fade, which is why she is hitting a draw-biased driver instead of her TS1/Graphite Dynamics Tour AD IZ-4 R1 which she hits farther.  Keeping the ball in play is worth 10 yards while the pro figures out how to get her turning her hips more consistently.

My son is 9.5 yo, and about 4'10/90lb and started playing exactly the same time as his sister.  His carry distances are about 15 yards less per club, and he tops out at 70mph with his driver.  He plays USKG TS-60 irons and wedges with steel shafts, Ping Prodi g hybrid and fairway, Titleist TSi1 18*, Titleist Ts1 18* with Air Speeder R3 35 shaft.

His power is average+ for his age compared to tournament golfers we play in FL, but technique (swing is too flat) keeps him from being solidly above average.  

17 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If you think hitting it far is the key to winning then Kyle Berkshire should have 15 majors by now. 

I know a kid that hits it 30 yards back from my kid and he beat my son this weekend by a shot. 

Yup. Know two kids who played over the weekend.  One is 12 and the other is 14.  The 12 yr old can hit it 250-270 and the 13 yr old hits it about 230-240.  Guess who won?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

If you think hitting it far is the key to winning then Kyle Berkshire should have 15 majors by now. 

I know a kid that hits it 30 yards back from my kid and he beat my son this weekend by a shot. 

For real though, we play against a couple of girls from Palm Beach who are absolute surgeons from 115 and in.  They don't beat the 5'7" 12yo who drives 250 all the time, but it's fair to say they beat her enough to prove how important accuracy can be.

• Like 1

I think this is fair question for a parent of an aspiring junior golfer.  It was just worded too technically.  Rather than specific numbers, I think it would be helpful to get a good range on distance based on height.  I will say that 11-13 was where I saw my son’s swing change the most as well as distances.  

I think you can get a general idea of what you’re looking for based on a 7 iron distance and driver.  As long as he is gapped decently between irons (7-10 yards), I think distances will be informative for you.  I will say for iron distances it can be very equipment biased as well.

@ 5’ I would say 7 iron was about 120 and Driver was about 200

@ 5’4” 7 iron was about 135 and Driver was about 225

@ 5’6” 7 iron is about 155 and Driver is 250-260

Below 5’ it was pretty incremental.  I would say 5 yards on irons per every 2” in height and 10 yards of driver distance.  Gapping didn’t get to 8-10 yards until 5’4ish…

12 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Depends.  Far and accurate is a huge advantage when comparing two similarly skilled players.  Distance matters greatly, especially when yardages exceed 6000 (and appropriately north of that based on age group of field).  If you are 30-50 yards longer than the field  and you’re not starting every tournament with a 3-4 shot advantage, you are either wild off the tees or you need to work a lot on your ball striking and putting.

• Like 2

It gets to a point where you really don't care anymore.  I can't go through the whole bag because I don't know.

17 years old

Driver 118+ mph and 299 carry.

7i 195 carry I think.

Longer is great, but still have to put the ball in play and then get it in the hole.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 4

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

My 14 year old son is growing and getting more powerful as he keeps on playing.  Don’t know much about his distances, but he has told me that the driver goes 250 yards.  What I do know are the last scores for his last 9 hole rounds playing from the white tees……3 over, 5 over, par, 2 over, par, 1 under and par this afternoon. And he is having fun playing.

Edited by Goldenhawk

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

On 9/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, Goldenhawk said:

My 14 year old son is growing and getting more powerful as he keeps on playing.  Don’t know much about his distances, but he has told me that the driver goes 250 yards.  What I do know are the last scores for his last 9 hole rounds playing from the white tees……3 over, 5 over, par, 2 over, par, 1 under and par this afternoon. And he is having fun playing.

This seems to be a beginner issue with golf.  White tees mean different yardages at different courses.

Our closest course no white tees.

2nd closest = Ladies and about 5500 yards.

Always use the yardage.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

This seems to be a beginner issue with golf.  White tees mean different yardages at different courses.

Our closest course no white tees.

2nd closest = Ladies and about 5500 yards.

Always use the yardage.

100% Agreed.  Our course the white tees are 5900 yds.  I can go to another course down the road where they are 5400 yds.  Another where my son takes lessons is 6200 yards.  I can then go to a course that has no white tees.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After watching my daughter play her first season of high school golf (varsity) it really seems like there are 3 tiers of players. First tier, girls that are serious about golf, only play golf, play year round weather permitting, that shoot around par, in the 70s. In my daughter's conference there were 4 girls I'd put in there. They drive it 215+, although one girl was driving it consistently 240+ and she will be one to watch. Next tier, the bogey golfers, where my daughter lives. Shoot 90-100. Girls that practice and might play some golf other times of the year. Driving it 170-210 when they hit it solidly. I'd say most schools have at least 3 girls in this space. 3rd tier, the girls that fill out the roster shooting 105+. My daughter earlier in the year was playing as the #5 & #6 spot and played along with these girls. Tops, skulls, slices.. it was not fun to watch. After having the best score for her team 3 times in tournaments the coach finally let her play with the 1s and 2s. Night and day difference. 

Now this is for public schools that I saw. There are a couple private schools that have multiple girls shooting in the 70s and are stacked with talent in my area. 

4 minutes ago, Scootre said:

After watching my daughter play her first season of high school golf (varsity) it really seems like there are 3 tiers of players. First tier, girls that are serious about golf, only play golf, play year round weather permitting, that shoot around par, in the 70s. In my daughter's conference there were 4 girls I'd put in there. They drive it 215+, although one girl was driving it consistently 240+ and she will be one to watch. Next tier, the bogey golfers, where my daughter lives. Shoot 90-100. Girls that practice and might play some golf other times of the year. Driving it 170-210 when they hit it solidly. I'd say most schools have at least 3 girls in this space. 3rd tier, the girls that fill out the roster shooting 105+. My daughter earlier in the year was playing as the #5 & #6 spot and played along with these girls. Tops, skulls, slices.. it was not fun to watch. After having the best score for her team 3 times in tournaments the coach finally let her play with the 1s and 2s. Night and day difference. 

Now this is for public schools that I saw. There are a couple private schools that have multiple girls shooting in the 70s and are stacked with talent in my area. 

Your 3,4,5 or 4,5,6 win or lose HS tournaments.

• Like 2
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

On 9/25/2022 at 6:25 PM, MRx747 said:

I think this is nice but its only one way of looking at golf.  If its a skills session on TM or a range then sure a subset of kids can beat others.

You are missing the 15th club.  The one between the ears.  The ones that truly have it can beat you left handed if needed.

But if we are just talking clubs I would be curious why the 52 and 56.  The gapping is only 5 yards. 

Also 4-6i cover the same as 2 hybrids.  Does it prefer hitting hybrids?  Seems to be a lot of choices.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2022 at 6:49 PM, iteachgolf said:

For girls I think distance is a bigger advantage.  For boys I care more about skill development.  Physically they develop at very different times.  Have plenty of kids who were slow and short hitters who learned to shoot low 70s hitting fairway woods into every par 4 and occasional driver on long par 3s at 14-15 years old who became some of the top juniors in the world by 16-17.  I’ve yet to have a kid who can’t swing it in the 110+ range by the time they are out of puberty.  Even the undersized ones.  Chasing speed and neglecting the skills required to play at a high level will yield mediocre results. 

Great insight here.  I know my son will be a late developer and sometimes it's really hard to just trust nature and keep grinding away at swing mechanics, short game, and putting when all the other kids are hitting it by him by 40-50 yards.   To your point, I've met a few high school kids who can swing it upwards of 120 with driver and hit it 330+, but guess what- neither has any college offers thus far and shoot over par more consistently than under.  They were telling me a huge driver is great, but it's tough to make a lot of birdies if you leave it 20 ft with wedge.  LOL!!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kekoa said:

Great insight here.  I know my son will be a late developer and sometimes it's really hard to just trust nature and keep grinding away at swing mechanics, short game, and putting when all the other kids are hitting it by him by 40-50 yards.   To your point, I've met a few high school kids who can swing it upwards of 120 with driver and hit it 330+, but guess what- neither has any college offers thus far and shoot over par more consistently than under.  They were telling me a huge driver is great, but it's tough to make a lot of birdies if you leave it 20 ft with wedge.  LOL!!

Chez Reavie is ranked 193 out of 195 on driving distance and made twice as much money ($1.9m) versus Cam Champ who was number one in driving distance last year.

If you want to check my numbers I'll be glad to send you a link to my Google Sheet.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My son (12) played with two girls today.  One was a junior and the other a senior in high school.  I assume they are 17 and 18, respectively.  Anyhow, playing from the same tees, my son was almost identical in distance to both of them off the tee.  The biggest variance was maybe 5 yards.   Both girls play ajga as well so I was somewhat surprised as my son is short for his age averaging about 210-215.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kekoa said:

My son (12) played with two girls today.  One was a junior and the other a senior in high school.  I assume they are 17 and 18, respectively.  Anyhow, playing from the same tees, my son was almost identical in distance to both of them off the tee.  The biggest variance was maybe 5 yards.   Both girls play ajga as well so I was somewhat surprised as my son is short for his age averaging about 210-215.  

Start lifting and he will get long.