ZX5 not for me - where to next?

bigdawg

So I recently got fitted for a new set of Srixon ZX5s

Previously i had been gaming Tourstage Z101's for about a decade but they were killing me on distance (eventhough i love playing with them). I could live with needing a club longer to get the distance but where it really hurt was when i was playing into a headwind (which is often), I could need a 5 iron to cover 160 when playing partners were hitting a comfortable 6 or even a juiced up 7. Like i say, I was OK with being a club longer each time, but it was a struggle in windy conditions.

I was fit for the ZX5 having tested a 7 iron exclusively and was given Modus 105 R shafts which were giving me lower spin numbers (which i needed as i spin it a lot) than my old KBS Tours.

I am 50 y/o with a moderate swing speed (around 85mph with 7 iron and around 95-100 on Driver). I'm an 'OK' ballstriker in low teen's handicap but I tend to be a picker of the ball and don't take much of a divot.

So my issue with the ZX5 is: since going out on the course I just cant find the sweetspot with regularity with them. I have hit several shots where the club either bounced into the ball resulting in a thin down the fairway, or it dug in before I got to the ball and I hit the ball fat (and high on the face). Now  I have hit some great shots with them also but its no good with the other stuff mixed in. I did read some further posts last night where it suggested that pickers should stay away from wide soled irons. I am now starting to see why. 

When I went back onto WRX last night, there were several reviews like this where guys either loved or hated the sole – depending on their swings (picker or digger) and their course turf conditions (firm or soft).

So now, I am resigned to moving them on,  and i am looking for suggestions as to what clubs to try next? I do need extra distance but in a more compact profile with more traditional looks. I could try the ZX7 but Im not sure I am good enough to play these and when i tested them initially, I was a good bit shorter (upto 10 yards per club total carry + roll) than i was with the ZX5's

Any help from someone who has been through this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

zx5_comparesole.jpg

I am not an equipment expert by any means, so take my experience with a grain of salt, and understand it's just what I've experienced this summer season.  Got back into golf consistently this summer, after only playing at most 10 times a season for the past 10-15 years. Currently 6.3 index, with a low of 4.8 but not a consistent player. Avg 77 on a 68.9 rated course, 117 slope, but can go under par by a stroke or two on my best days.  44 years old, SS of 106 or so. 

My gamer set of irons is the Callaway Mavrik Pro's. Stock True Temper Elevate 105's in stiff flex, that I bought like new (were new still in plastic) unfitted from Callaway Preowned.  Consistent distance, nice feel and very compact for the category. 

I've always loved the look of Srixon irons, and have kept an eye out for a decent set used. Found a zx5 3-pw set for a decent price. Took them to the range, played a few rounds, and had the same experience as you. Sometimes they would bounce, other times dig, and while a degree or two weaker lofted than my Mavriks, were a full club or more shorter. They did feel fantastic when hit flush however! 

Also have a set of Wilson D7 Forged. Nice set, hit them well but prefer the feel of the Callaways.

So, if you're looking for a suggestion on what to look for now, I'd suggest looking at the Callaway players distance irons. Mav Pro or the Rogue ST Pro or alternatively, Wilson D7 forged or the newer D9 forged which are about the same size as the ZX5's

Can find a pretty good deal on Mav Pro's right now on CPO 

43 minutes ago, bigdawg said:

So I recently got fitted for a new set of Srixon ZX5s

Previously i had been gaming Tourstage Z101's for about a decade but they were killing me on distance (eventhough i love playing with them). I could live with needing a club longer to get the distance but where it really hurt was when i was playing into a headwind (which is often), I could need a 5 iron to cover 160 when playing partners were hitting a comfortable 6 or even a juiced up 7. Like i say, I was OK with being a club longer each time, but it was a struggle in windy conditions.

I was fit for the ZX5 having tested a 7 iron exclusively and was given Modus 105 R shafts which were giving me lower spin numbers (which i needed as i spin it a lot) than my old KBS Tours.

I am 50 y/o with a moderate swing speed (around 85mph with 7 iron and around 95-100 on Driver). I'm an 'OK' ballstriker in low teen's handicap but I tend to be a picker of the ball and don't take much of a divot.

So my issue with the ZX5 is: since going out on the course I just cant find the sweetspot with regularity with them. I have hit several shots where the club either bounced into the ball resulting in a thin down the fairway, or it dug in before I got to the ball and I hit the ball fat (and high on the face). Now  I have hit some great shots with them also but its no good with the other stuff mixed in. I did read some further posts last night where it suggested that pickers should stay away from wide soled irons. I am now starting to see why. 

When I went back onto WRX last night, there were several reviews like this where guys either loved or hated the sole – depending on their swings (picker or digger) and their course turf conditions (firm or soft).

So now, I am resigned to moving them on,  and i am looking for suggestions as to what clubs to try next? I do need extra distance but in a more compact profile with more traditional looks. I could try the ZX7 but Im not sure I am good enough to play these and when i tested them initially, I was a good bit shorter (upto 10 yards per club total carry + roll) than i was with the ZX5's

Any help from someone who has been through this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

zx5_comparesole.jpg

Your first step is to ring up the fitter.  Be it a proshop, a big box store, or a boutique fitter, most of them have some sort of performance guarantee.  Talk to them and see what they can do.  It could be as simple as a shaft change, it could be as complex as a full new set of sticks.  It could also be as simple as them saying "sorry, you bought it, your problem."  In that case, then look elsewhere.  Try them first.  The Modus 105 is fairly soft and at your speed you probably should still be generally in a stiff shaft in the 100-120g range depending on your feel and delivery.  However, don't let that deter you and make you think you got a dog fitting, I'm just basing that solely on swing speed which is the very last parameter one should use as a guide post for what shaft to use.  I assume you were on Trackman or Foresight that had some sort of head-tracking data to generate swing path, face angle, dynamic loft, angle of attack and strike point data?  

The ZX5 is no slouch, its a great iron for a lot of people, but that super high bounce leading edge can be problematic for a sweeper.  Actually, any Srixon iron would be a problem for someone who is fairly shallow into it, even the ZX7 could be an issue. 

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

if you are looking for a lower bounce more forgiving iron than ZX5 you could try the Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pros.   They'll keep your spin down as well.  If they are too hard feeling and clunky maybe try the JPX Forged or the MP225s.   

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Also forgot to say - I know you were fitted but NIppon Modus 105R may not be helping with spin and shots into the wind.  Maybe you should at least try the S.   I play the 105X and to me they play soft and smooth to flex, especially to something like X100 or PX 6.0/6.5 which are admittedly also much heavier shafts

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I have two suggestions:

1. If you have a brand-agnostic fitter that offers fittings at a grass range then go there for the fitting and buy the clubs from the cheapest reputable outfit you can find.

2. If 1 isn't possible, then you can often find demo 7 irons on eBay etc. in your desired spec. You can buy and flip those until you find a combo that works, then buy the set.

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 1

You say you were "recently" fitted - how long ago? How often have you used the new ZX5s? Could be a transition to the shafts, learning how the V Sole interacts vs your old clubs, etc. Now, the transition period shouldn't take months, but you're used to using the same shaft and heads for 10+ years, it may take a few range sessions & rounds on grass to adjust. 

Don't know about the head, but I personally find a big difference between Modus 105R and S. I've tried the 105R in various heads and never really liked it. I figured it was too "light" so I played 125S for a while which I liked.  Then last winter I tried the 105S and that is what I am playing now. Hard to believe a few grams of weight and slightly stiffer profile make that much difference, but it does for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KNG_MT said:

I am not an equipment expert by any means, so take my experience with a grain of salt, and understand it's just what I've experienced this summer season.  Got back into golf consistently this summer, after only playing at most 10 times a season for the past 10-15 years. Currently 6.3 index, with a low of 4.8 but not a consistent player. Avg 77 on a 68.9 rated course, 117 slope, but can go under par by a stroke or two on my best days.  44 years old, SS of 106 or so. 

My gamer set of irons is the Callaway Mavrik Pro's. Stock True Temper Elevate 105's in stiff flex, that I bought like new (were new still in plastic) unfitted from Callaway Preowned.  Consistent distance, nice feel and very compact for the category. 

I've always loved the look of Srixon irons, and have kept an eye out for a decent set used. Found a zx5 3-pw set for a decent price. Took them to the range, played a few rounds, and had the same experience as you. Sometimes they would bounce, other times dig, and while a degree or two weaker lofted than my Mavriks, were a full club or more shorter. They did feel fantastic when hit flush however! 

Also have a set of Wilson D7 Forged. Nice set, hit them well but prefer the feel of the Callaways.

So, if you're looking for a suggestion on what to look for now, I'd suggest looking at the Callaway players distance irons. Mav Pro or the Rogue ST Pro or alternatively, Wilson D7 forged or the newer D9 forged which are about the same size as the ZX5's

Can find a pretty good deal on Mav Pro's right now on CPO 

That is great feedback KNG_MT and just the sort of feedback i was looking to get. I knew there was something about the ZX5 sole that just didnt get on with my swing but I had to see other posters have the same experience before i could totally accept that (as it might just have been an issue with my swing and by your bio, i can see that you are a more accomplished player than i am for sure). The interesting thing is, the 2nd best iron i hit in my various demo and fitting session was the Rogue ST Pro so that is what i will now put on my shortlist. I have a few others in mind also but ill wait to see what other posters say first before making a decision. Thanks again for the great input - that is really valuable to me.

2 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Your first step is to ring up the fitter.  Be it a proshop, a big box store, or a boutique fitter, most of them have some sort of performance guarantee.  Talk to them and see what they can do.  It could be as simple as a shaft change, it could be as complex as a full new set of sticks.  It could also be as simple as them saying "sorry, you bought it, your problem."  In that case, then look elsewhere.  Try them first.  The Modus 105 is fairly soft and at your speed you probably should still be generally in a stiff shaft in the 100-120g range depending on your feel and delivery.  However, don't let that deter you and make you think you got a dog fitting, I'm just basing that solely on swing speed which is the very last parameter one should use as a guide post for what shaft to use.  I assume you were on Trackman or Foresight that had some sort of head-tracking data to generate swing path, face angle, dynamic loft, angle of attack and strike point data?  

The ZX5 is no slouch, its a great iron for a lot of people, but that super high bounce leading edge can be problematic for a sweeper.  Actually, any Srixon iron would be a problem for someone who is fairly shallow into it, even the ZX7 could be an issue. 

Again - some great feedback here that i am taking stuff out of.

First off, Yes, i had the full trackman and Flightscope treatment depending on the fitter/demo day i went to. I ended up with Modus 105 Rs as they seemed to take down my spin levels from the 7 thousands (7 iron) to mid 5,000's and eventhough i was in that area right in between Regular and  Stiff with most of the fitters, the guy that worked with me towards the end could see that a stiff in Pro Modus brought back up my spin, whereas an R brought in back under control - so i went with the guy. I was happy to go along with the whole process, eventhough i have played stiff all my adult life and never had an issue with them (especially KBS which i seemed to get on well with but they thought were too spinny in my hands).

And yes, what you are saying with ZX5 has probably spooked me off trying ZX7 as i am fairly shallow into the ball all the time. So that is tending to guide me in a different direction.

Great input here again - thank you Wristy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MyShortGameSucks said:

if you are looking for a lower bounce more forgiving iron than ZX5 you could try the Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pros.   They'll keep your spin down as well.  If they are too hard feeling and clunky maybe try the JPX Forged or the MP225s.   

Yes, did hit both of those early in my testing. Hit the JPX 921 HMP's the best. Lost distance with the Forged. Tended to balloon the 925's but take your point that they are all lower bounce which now appears to be what i am after. 

2 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I have two suggestions:

1. If you have a brand-agnostic fitter that offers fittings at a grass range then go there for the fitting and buy the clubs from the cheapest reputable outfit you can find.

2. If 1 isn't possible, then you can often find demo 7 irons on eBay etc. in your desired spec. You can buy and flip those until you find a combo that works, then buy the set.

My final fitting session was a shop (with trackman etc) that sold across the board so it was me that was pushing the ZX5 agenda - from my own research and personal preferences. Grass fitters harder to find but i know of one. Yes, have thought of route 2. Did that a lot before. You eventually get there, but the journey can be time consuming. 

1 hour ago, ChipDriver said:

I could have written that exact description 10 years ago.  So I hope this helps.  It's not your clubs - it's your swing.

For me the results I got were not that I was a picker (which I had thought) - it was b/c I was a flipper.   The "several fat shots" seems to be the key.   My cure was learning how to hit full swings solidly out of a flat lie from sand or from a practice bunker. 

I swing 10 mph slower than you with 7 iron; and swing at about 83 driver.  My 6 iron used to go about 150-155 carry/ play to about 160..  W/practice out of sand and fixing swing path (OTT/too much right hand "hit"/staying behind the ball blah blah blah) I now can compress the ball with an easy swing - and the improved contact sends the ball 175 carry to 190 total distance...with a ZX5/Recoil 95.   I can do similar with an XRPro with OEM steel shaft (about 5 yards shorter). For me - compression and solid strike are better than speed....although I'd love some more speed!  🙂

If you want better performance - maybe try a lesson to fix your swing  and all your clubs will be re-energized!

Whilst this is very valid feedback and actually rings through for me, as a time challenged dad (with 4 young kids) Im not sure which is the easier of those 2 tasks you describe. One being to fix my swing (which could take a long time and almost certainly a lot of heartache along the way) or 2 being to just find another set of irons that work for me and carry on - gaining a bit of distance and forgiveness in the process. Id love to commit to 1 but im not sure id be able to successfully achieve it. Great advice nonetheless and you've certainly got me thinking. By the way, I do get lessons and have a free session with an expert guy that could address this for me. I may yet do so...Thanks. 

1 hour ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

You say you were "recently" fitted - how long ago? How often have you used the new ZX5s? Could be a transition to the shafts, learning how the V Sole interacts vs your old clubs, etc. Now, the transition period shouldn't take months, but you're used to using the same shaft and heads for 10+ years, it may take a few range sessions & rounds on grass to adjust. 

My last fitting session was only 3 weeks ago. Have the irons since then - played them about 5-6 times. Had 1 other full fitting, and 2 shop fittings and 1 full demo day prior to that. So had done a lot of homework on lots of irons before arriving at my choice. I take your point though. I know it took me a while the last time around to get 'used' to what i was playing - and i went on to love them. I suppose i wasnt expecting such a transition period this time with technology moving on and having done so many pre-fittings prior to arriving at my selection. But, Yes, I may have to give them a few more sessions to be 100% sure they dont suit. In that time, i have hit 'some' good shots. ITs the occasional shocker that is denting my confidence. Thanks for that feedback - very true indeed. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, byerxa said:

Don't know about the head, but I personally find a big difference between Modus 105R and S. I've tried the 105R in various heads and never really liked it. I figured it was too "light" so I played 125S for a while which I liked.  Then last winter I tried the 105S and that is what I am playing now. Hard to believe a few grams of weight and slightly stiffer profile make that much difference, but it does for me.

Yes, i had become aware of these subtle differences during the fitting process. My speed was best with lighter weighted shafts. But my ability to 'square up' the face and produce better hits seemed to be better with the heavier shafts. So what you are saying did cross my mind also. Thanks for that input. 

OP,

Given all said above, I'd be surprised if you didn't get along really well with the Rogue ST Pro. Much easier iron to use than their appearance would suggest, on the lower end of the spin spectum, and all the speed you could reasonably expect. Well worth giving a twist if you haven't already.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

4 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

OP,

Given all said above, I'd be surprised if you didn't get along really well with the Rogue ST Pro. Much easier iron to use than their appearance would suggest, on the lower end of the spin spectum, and all the speed you could reasonably expect. Well worth giving a twist if you haven't already.

Right now? Its probably top of my hit list. Ive already hit it and know that it went well for me. Appreciate the comment. Its got me thinking even more for sure...

• Like 1

This is still correct IMO -

Suggest mixing ZX7’s with the same shaft configuration from either 7 or 8 through PW.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

2 hours ago, ChipDriver said:

I could have written that exact description 10 years ago.  So I hope this helps.  It's not your clubs - it's your swing.

For me the results I got were not that I was a picker (which I had thought) - it was b/c I was a flipper.   The "several fat shots" seems to be the key.   My cure was learning how to hit full swings solidly out of a flat lie from sand or from a practice bunker. 

I swing 10 mph slower than you with 7 iron; and swing at about 83 driver.  My 6 iron used to go about 150-155 carry/ play to about 160..  W/practice out of sand and fixing swing path (OTT/too much right hand "hit"/staying behind the ball blah blah blah) I now can compress the ball with an easy swing - and the improved contact sends the ball 175 carry to 190 total distance...with a ZX5/Recoil 95.   I can do similar with an XRPro with OEM steel shaft (about 5 yards shorter). For me - compression and solid strike are better than speed....although I'd love some more speed!  🙂

If you want better performance - maybe try a lesson to fix your swing  and all your clubs will be re-energized!

Your reply is the one that's 'haunting' me the most. A lot of what you have said is true. But one session with the pro wouldnt fix my problem i suspect. Ive had range sessions where i practiced hitting shot after shot of punched irons to encourage taking a divot and compress the ball more and hold my grip into impact. Meanwhile back out on the course, the old habits die hard. So, despite what you say being true, there is a lot more to it that a session with the pro would be able to work out. Great input all the same and challenging my thinking though. I respect that.

4 minutes ago, bigdawg said:

Right now? Its probably top of my hit list. Ive already hit it and know that it went well for me. Appreciate the comment. Its got me thinking even more for sure...

Also, what are you playing for a ball?

WITB Link

2 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I have two suggestions:

As GT mentioned, always get fit on a grass range.

1 minute ago, brutus27 said:

As GT mentioned, always get fit on a grass range.

This is true. Mats tend to mask any turf interaction issues there might be and also tend to cut spin due to higher strike locations on the face.

• Like 1

WITB Link

6 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

This is still correct IMO -

Suggest mixing ZX7’s with the same shaft configuration from either 7 or 8 through PW.

Wow.

just read all of this now.

This is so insightful and I can 100% endorse everything you have said about the ZX5  - albeit i havent hit the P790 but understand why you have selected it as something of a polar opposite to the ZX5.

You said 2 things that rang really true for me. One is a direct quote: "The ease of manipulating the face angle through impact also makes it non optimal for bogey+ players."

I think this is true of me. My swing is not so good that i automatically square up that face everytime. But with my older (lighter and more compact) irons I was able to square up that face with my hands a lot of the time if i knew i wasnt on track. No can do with those Srixons. Too much head weight, the sole and the tungsten all conspire to make that almost impossible (for me anyway). So that was a very shrewd observation on your part.

Secondly, you referenced how the ZX5's are amazing on centre face hits. They are. But go left or right of this and you'll know all about it. Which really annoys me as i know i wont hit the centre of the face all the time but I dont really need to get a harsh reminder of this either. With my old set, the ball just didnt go as far but you still got an OK feeeling after each shot - certainly nothing too harsh.

Some really insightful comments and insights in your post. Really impressive. I will check back on it later. What about P770 v's P790.  I prefer the look of the former but is there too much between them to go the P770 route? Is the P790 clearly the better for mid players?

That was a great post....

I think the width of the sole is more important than the shape. ZX5 soles are too wide for me, but I love the Z765. I could easily play the ZX7 too but they've been unable to knock my older irons out of the bag. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

If you were playing z101's with KBS tour stiff and they feel significantly lighter than your new setup, you should check the swingweights of both sets. If the KBS were installed without adding weight to the head they will be a pretty light swingweight at standard length. 

If what you're dealing with is adjusting to a significantly heavier swingweight than what you had grown accustomed to, it's going to take a while no matter what iron head you're using.

10 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I think the width of the sole is more important than the shape. ZX5 soles are too wide for me, but I love the Z765. I could easily play the ZX7 too but they've been unable to knock my older irons out of the bag. 

Very true. I even contemplated going back a model or two before i bought the ZX'5 but there was so much hoopla about the dispersion and consistency of the ZX5's on YouTube that i felt i had to give them a go.

• Like 1