At the turn

5 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

This thread is fascinating - as it reveals the very different “cultures” that can exist among clubs. At our club (private club, Chicago area) you would NEVER tee off on 10 without asking the group in front of you, no matter where they went. If you could not find them you would confirm with the pro shop they were only playing nine. All that would be quite easy to do, BTW, as the pro shop, locker room, and bar area are right on the way from 9 to 10 (it is a bit of a walk). 

But obviously all that is very different at other courses and in other places in the world. Some places you must stop for lunch. Other places if the tee is open, go for it. SO cool! I always learn a lot here. And it is a reminder how much golf is steeped in tradition.

So what happens as you look for this group ? And consort with the pro shop ?  Does the group behind you begin a search for you ?  And the group behind them begin  a search for the group that’s searching for you etc?    Seems way too complicated.  The easy solution is go if the fairway is clear. 

or is it a club where there’s a half hour between tee times ?     I guess if so , then you have time for searches.  😂.   Where I’m from when the fairway is clear on 1. , somebody will be firing a tee ball.  No gaps most of the day.  You can’t just stop it all at the turn because joe is taking too long in the john.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Srixon z745 9* rogue 60 125 TX 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

So what happens as you look for this group ? And consort with the pro shop ?  Does the group behind you begin a search for you ?  And the group behind them begin  a search for the group that’s searching for you etc?    Seems way too complicated.  The easy solution is go if the fairway is clear. 

In the time it would take me to search the bar, search the men's room and talk to the guy in the pro shop I could have finished the 10th hole and maybe even teed off on the 11th.

I'm not sure I'd want to be at a club so hung up on keeping every group all day long strictly in their original order out on the course. Can you imagine what other kinds of rules they must have? The dress code alone would probably run to three pages. 

• Thanks 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

8 hours ago, bladehunter said:

or is it a club where there’s a half hour between tee times ?     I guess if so , then you have time for searches.  😂.   Where I’m from when the fairway is clear on 1. , somebody will be firing a tee ball.  No gaps most of the day.  You can’t just stop it all at the turn because joe is taking too long in the john.  

Hey - I guess you know better than everyone at our club. Did you even notice where I said it is fairly easy to check with the group in front or the pro shop while you make the turn? I’m not criticizing your situation, just noting that different courses have different cultures. I’m telling you that you would never tee off on 10 without talking to the pro shop or group in front at our club. That works just fine for us. You don’t have to agree with it. 

• Like 1

This type of situation should not be difficult to handle. But it always seems to be. I feel like this is becoming a common occurrence now. As my friends and I was playing a round yesterday at Hobble creek in Springville, Utah. If you happen to be a member on Golfwrx. And happen to come upon this thread. You will know you are 100 percent wrong. To make a scene and start a shouting match. And not only did you keep us waiting. You kept 2 other groups waiting. So you can relax, talk, use the bathroom, get food or whatever it was that your group was doing. 

• Sad 1

Alcohol and poor marshalling

North America should follow Scotland and make beverages post round only

too many bro’s from Slurvakia nowadays 

Op was right

• Like 2

Ping G430 10k 10.5* Diamana ZF 60x

Cally AI Smoke TD 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

On 10/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, cardoustie said:

Alcohol and poor marshalling

North America should follow Scotland and make beverages post round only

too many bro’s from Slurvakia nowadays 

Op was right

Haven’t you heard, we have nips during the round from our flasks and tatties afterwards. 

Edited by Pastit
  • Like 1

I was Playing a round yesterday. 

1030 tee time with a foursome. 

the next tee time in front of us was 950 for a threesome. 

we hit the turn at 1220 All of the sudden as we are coming off the green, the threesome come out of the halfway house rushing to the 10th tee. 

One is playing from the mens tees, he hits it no further than the senior tees… then another 2 are only playing from the upper senior tees ….. I mean a mess… 

now, we had not seen these guys all round…. They were at least three holes ahead of us…. So they sat in the halfway house for me 30 minutes eating… then rush out and back us up…… we walked off the course. 

told the starter…. His response…. “What can I do about it?? “…. He tried to tell us we played too fast and caught them. 

mind you, this is a private club… 

people need to be more considerate at the turn. 

Edited by T_Golf_23
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Pastit said:

Haven’t you heard, we have nips during the round from our flasks and tatties afterwards. 

Nip and tat away brother, describes many of my good golfing buddies

i just don’t want the slow and drunk and loud and self entitled brigade … it’s very common nowadays

Scotty GoLo

On 10/15/2022 at 1:55 PM, bladehunter said:

Where I’m from when the fairway is clear on 1. , somebody will be firing a tee ball.  No gaps most of the day.  

That's a perfect formula for people to be waiting all day long.  If there is no gap, you have to wait every time a group anywhere in front of you has a slow hole due to looking for balls.

Studies have shown that you need a gap to allow for the typical ebb and flow.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cardoustie said:

Nip and tat away brother, describes many of my good golfing buddies

i just don’t want the slow and drunk and loud and self entitled brigade … it’s very common nowadays

Agreed, I was disgusted at a former youth international and his buddy boozing on white wine during Comps and chucking empty bottles into bushes. But the in crowd get away with it. 

Four of us had a fun day back of Largs, at Routenburn, we took 18 beers out on a hot summer day on this hilly course. Playing pairs, the idea was that when a hole was won the winners had to drink a can before the next tee. 

it backfired as I couldn’t get a drink until c the 11th playing against a duffer and his 2HCP parent and I was gasping for a drink. Very funny day on Sam Torrance’s home course only fit for mountain goats. 

4 hours ago, Pastit said:

Agreed, I was disgusted at a former youth international and his buddy boozing on white wine during Comps and chucking empty bottles into bushes. But the in crowd get away with it. 

Four of us had a fun day back of Largs, at Routenburn, we took 18 beers out on a hot summer day on this hilly course. Playing pairs, the idea was that when a hole was won the winners had to drink a can before the next tee. 

it backfired as I couldn’t get a drink until c the 11th playing against a duffer and his 2HCP parent and I was gasping for a drink. Very funny day on Sam Torrance’s home course only fit for mountain goats. 

The most I’ve seen is 24 beers in 18 holes… fit 185 lb guy … PCB Florida

Scotty GoLo

21 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I don't get the appeal of drinking during a game of golf. I suck bad enough without giving myself an additional handicap.

I'm with you.  Sadly there is a not so small contingent for whom the beer count is more important than the stroke count.  My question is, why not save the $50-100 whatever you paid for a green fee and do that on your deck?  Plus it's a lot cheaper to buy beer at the store than it is on the course.

• Like 2

I’ve seen two guys playing in the Championship Flight of our Club Championship making the turn from 9 to 10 and tossing about 8-10 beer cans between them out of their cart and into the trash. They went in the clubhouse to restock their cooler for the back nine and one of them came out with a mixed drink as well as whatever was in the cooler. 

I’m thinking it takes a pretty degenerate alcohol habit if playing your best golf in an important tournament requires enough drinking to render a normal person comatose. Who knows how much those dudes would drink if they stayed at home on their deck all day. 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, Thereisnospoon said:

This incident aside.   What is proper protocol?  If a 4some took 15-20 minutes in the clubhouse do they lose their place?  It seems to be a valid argument for being leapfrogged otherwise the whole course gets affected.

IMHO if you get to 10 and the fairway is clear, you can go ahead and hit. If the group in front of you isn't back in time for the fairway to clear, they have lost their spot. They are delaying the entire course if they believe they can keep their spot without being ready to play when the hole in front of them has cleared.

If you get to 10 and the fairway is not clear, and the group in front of you returns to the tee before the fairway clears, you defer and let them tee off. They were ahead of you and were back at the tee in time to play without delaying the course. 

The tricky bit is if you are waiting on the 10th for the fairway to clear, you (and your entire group if you are not a single) are ready to hit, and only a portion of the group has shown up when it has cleared. At that point, politeness comes into it. Something like "hey, do you mind if I/we hit or is the rest of your group right behind you?" Usually at that point if the person knows his group and whether they're quick or laggards--and it's likely the first person to the tee has an opinion on his partners pace of play lol--they'll let you go or let you know the rest of the group is likely to arrive within 1-2 minutes and be able to tee off without delay. 

You got caught in the third scenario with someone who had an attitude [and potentially at least a strong buzz going] and it was handled poorly, but IMHO above is proper protocol for public course golf. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

I’ve seen two guys playing in the Championship Flight of our Club Championship making the turn from 9 to 10 and tossing about 8-10 beer cans between them out of their cart and into the trash. They went in the clubhouse to restock their cooler for the back nine and one of them came out with a mixed drink as well as whatever was in the cooler. 

I’m thinking it takes a pretty degenerate alcohol habit if playing your best golf in an important tournament requires enough drinking to render a normal person comatose. Who knows how much those dudes would drink if they stayed at home on their deck all day. 

Yep I've seen it as well.  Maybe not quite as many beers as your situation, but enough that someone else better be driving them home, and playing in Championship flight.  Actually one reason I stopped playing in my club championship is the fact it seems to be more about the party than the golf.  Aren't all the other events all year like that, can't one be about golf?

16 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Yep I've seen it as well.  Maybe not quite as many beers as your situation, but enough that someone else better be driving them home, and playing in Championship flight.  Actually one reason I stopped playing in my club championship is the fact it seems to be more about the party than the golf.  Aren't all the other events all year like that, can't one be about golf?

My wife (who in a previous career worked in a drug and alcohol treatment facility) says once they are to this point these guys probably can’t function to play golf or anything else without a few drinks first. You can reach a point where your reality is about alcohol first, whether it’s also about golf or whatever it always starts with drinking. 

On 10/18/2022 at 8:31 AM, T_Golf_23 said:

I was Playing a round yesterday. 

1030 tee time with a foursome. 

the next tee time in front of us was 950 for a threesome. 

we hit the turn at 1220 All of the sudden as we are coming off the green, the threesome come out of the halfway house rushing to the 10th tee. 

One is playing from the mens tees, he hits it no further than the senior tees… then another 2 are only playing from the upper senior tees ….. I mean a mess… 

now, we had not seen these guys all round…. They were at least three holes ahead of us…. So they sat in the halfway house for me 30 minutes eating… then rush out and back us up…… we walked off the course. 

told the starter…. His response…. “What can I do about it?? “…. He tried to tell us we played too fast and caught them. 

mind you, this is a private club… 

people need to be more considerate at the turn. 

My buddy and I had this happen to us a while back. I like to look at the online tee sheets of the local courses to see how the course is stacked up. We will pick a course and tee time that will give us a buffer so that we don't end up waiting on other groups if possible. 

We were playing the front nine at the course we made our time at with no one ahead of us in sight. We had a single behind us. We asked him to join us or play through but he wanted to stay behind us. As we are walking over to 10 two foursomes zoom over to ten. We get there and mention to them that the course doesn't allow groups to start on ten. They told us they were in the clubhouse having lunch and now needed to finish their round. They wouldn't let us or the single play through so we had to skip a hole..What a bunch of self centered people. 

• Sad 1

I am a member at a club, slight stop at 10 to use the bathroom and grab refreshments is normal, 5min max delay, but everyone does it so not a big deal.

No one stops to eat or even to get food made, if you do that you are getting skipped.  If you want food order it exiting the 8th tee box or ask for it to be brought out to you on the course

31 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

I am a member at a club, slight stop at 10 to use the bathroom and grab refreshments is normal, 5min max delay, but everyone does it so not a big deal.

No one stops to eat or even to get food made, if you do that you are getting skipped.  If you want food order it exiting the 8th tee box or ask for it to be brought out to you on the course

We can have that but typically the whole group doesn't disappear.  One guy might pop in for a second(go grab a cart for the back nine is quite common.)

15 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

We can have that but typically the whole group doesn't disappear.  One guy might pop in for a second(go grab a cart for the back nine is quite common.)

Our 9th and 10th are close together and the clubhouse is right in between, it's very easy to tell if there are clubs/carts parked waiting to go to 10 or not. Never been a case of a mystery group popping up on 10 unless they jumped on 10 to cut in or just play the back, in which case they would be promptly dealt with

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

Our 9th and 10th are close together and the clubhouse is right in between, it's very easy to tell if there are clubs/carts parked waiting to go to 10 or not. Never been a case of a mystery group popping up on 10 unless they jumped on 10 to cut in or just play the back, in which case they would be promptly dealt with

Our 10th tee is right between our 9th green, clubhouse is about 50 yards to the right walking up 9.  And like yours we 'll usually have some bags/carts there as well.  But again, it's rare for an entire group to step away(except for the women... there's only one on course washroom, so they don't pass up the opportunity to use the facilities.)