2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Peter Thomson and Bobby Locke

naval2006

I've always been intrigued by two of the best players ever who we don't often hear about: Bobby Locke and Peter Thomson.  They belonged to an era and type of golf that are now long gone and both in different ways have put South Africa and Australia in the big golf map.  

I'm a big fan of Peter Thomson, he was a golf genius like Annika in contemporary golf.  About Bobby Locke we usually read and hear mixed stories and he didn't seem to care much about people's opinions.  But they were both outstanding competitors, they won between them nine Opens and when they decided to go  and play in the US they were winning machines.

I'd like to know about members opinions on these two great pros; and also stories and anecdotes if you saw any of them playing or got to know them.

• Like 1

In Bobby Locke’s book “Bobby Locke On Golf” which I own a copy of, he mentions playing with Peter Thomson when he was young and before he won his 5 Open’s.

Locke noted that Thomson was a great player for his age and predicted that he would win the Open and more than one time. Well, he turned out to be right. 

There’s something more prophetic than that in his book, he mentions that to play better than anyone else, one must have a killer instinct and be a “tiger” I wish I was kidding but I’m not, he really predicted Tiger over 20 years before he was even born!

• Like 4

On 10/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, naval2006 said:

But they were both outstanding competitors, they won between them nine Opens and when they decided to go  and play in the US they were winning machines.

Bobby Locke won a ton of what are now considered PGA Tour victories in a short span of time. Something like 10+ wins in less than 4 years. Peter Thomson won once for what is considered a PGA Tour win outside of his Open Championships. On the Senior (now Champions) Tour he was a beast. IIRC he won like a dozen times in a calendar year.

****** To be fair to any golfer that won the Open Championship it was not considered an official PGA Tour  event until 1995 and not counted as an official PGA Tour victory until the early 2000's. Really odd record keeping by the PGA Tour.

• Like 2

Locke used to play with some of the members at Sunningdale. One being a certain Christopher Lee who was a fine player. 

Thomson was far more ruthless, and hungry. He used a 12 degrees driver for many of his wins and was an average length hitter at best. Far more suited to fast running tracks until later in his career. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I am enjoying this thread with great affectionate memories of two of the all time greats.

I love how small this world of golf is and the connections you make.

I was rolling a few practice putts and spotted a player with a couple of hickory clubs on the green. Curiosity naturally got the better of me so I had to enquire. Turned out to be an Australian Teaching Pro who knew Peter Thomson through Kel Nagle. He was able to confirm what a down to earth gentleman Thomson was. Sadly missed.

Since my earlier post in this thread, I have managed to complete my Peter Thomson set by merging two shorts sets! Unlikely but happy coincidence!20230131_175929.jpg.c253fe455df0a23e58c524f07ff5a825.jpg20230131_175939.jpg.1aac848ec8aef162da2290af65a41701.jpg

In keeping with the thread I also have a set of Gradidge Bobby Locke irons which I must picture and post when I get a chance.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, IanDuncan said:

I'm from Australia, so knew of Thomson. He'd retired from playing. But then suddenly he was playing again and I watched him closely during his amazing winning stretch in 1985/86 - when I moved to live in America. Then I saw him in 2004 play again - it was a treat. I also worked for John Jacobs who played with both Locke & Thomson a lot in 1950s. John was a very good tour pro prior to his teaching career. He had many stories about many players, who he saw up close during tournaments.

About Peter Thomson

John said he first saw Thomson in ca. 1952 when he and Norman von Nida stopped in Cairo for an exhibition match against Jacobs and Hassan Hassanein (this man's story is a subject for another day). The Cairo stop broke up the journey from Australia to London. Apparently with no sleep, flying for 40 hours, jetlag etc, the 22 year old Thomson  shot par on the first 9 holes, though he hit 2 greens in regulation. He scuffed, shanked, topped & thinned many shots but with an amazing cool head kept a score going. On the second 9, he shot 4 under par after getting his land legs and swing together. Jacobs said Thomson was never ruffled or worried even when struggling with his shots. Jacobs made a mental note: this is a very cool operator & someone used to winning.

Jacobs subsequently spent a lot of time with Thomson, practicing playing and travelling. He was an absolute Thomson admirer; both of his easy going attitude, (not false) modesty, treatment and interest in people and of course his golf.

"Peter was probably so good at recognising what he could do and avoiding what he couldn't do". The example John always gave in his lessons was to avoid the driver.

"Did you know Peter Thomson won 3 of his 5 British Opens teeing off with only a 3 or a 4 wood?" His finger wagging at a 25 handicapper desperately trying to hit drivers. "Peter was ever so slightly flat on the backswing. His shoulders, then, turned too soon on the downswing causing an impact that was a bit late and steep. So sometimes he mishit with low lofted clubs - particularly the driver - but it made him a brilliant iron player, able to hit long, low approaches very accurately with wonderful ball then turf impact. It sounded like a loud crunch - fantastic on a links course. He knew this, so often did not use a driver. When he got really off, he could occasionally shank too. Thomson didn't practice much but when this happened he did. He tilted his shoulders upward at address, swung his arms down close and kept his head back during the hit".

St Andrews Story (related by Sandy Dawson).

Peter Thomson loved St Andrews (& British/Scottish golf). As a seventy something, he was a life member at St. Andrews. Late in summer he and wife Mary would live there. He played in his brown street shoes with a pencil case bag of 7 clubs over his shoulder and appeared to be just another member. The other members, of course, knew who he was. But some young guys in a university match did not. After losing 6 out 7 holes to Thomson and his partner the young hopeful asked:

"Gee Peter,  you were once a good player?"

"Yes, I had some good moments" , Thomson downplayed, typically not wanting a fuss.

"What was your lowest handicap?"

"Well I was a pro". Now the young man was curious.

"Oh did you win any events"

"Yes a few". He actually won 98 four-round events in all corners of the world.

"What was your biggest win ?"

"Oh,  the Open Championship"

Apparently the young opponent now was really squirming with embarrassment, he asked: "Oh what year did you win that?

"1954, 1955, 1956, 1958 & 1965"

And PWT added another fan to his many admirers.

2004:  9 holes in Sydney with Arnold Palmer and Bruce Devlin

I saw these legends play in a Sydney exhibition prior to the Australian Open. It was a treat; Thomson again turned up with his brown street shoes and small golf set where Arnold and Devlin looked still like touring pros with enormous promotional golf bags. They all played well but Thomson was still a joy to watch. He seemed to stand quite still; leaning into the ball but glancing at the target. Then he turned just enough so his hands could point the club down the fairway over his right shoulder. From there again, unhurried, he turned to face the target and he would swish the club into the back of the ball. Did he really look at the ball and the target at the same time ? It appeared so.  Impact was a wonderful, sweet crack. He was on each green in regulation except for 2.  He enjoyed each shot, the companionship of the gallery and his 2 rivals/contemporaries.

He was a one of a kind. Instead of dining out on the '5 Times' nickname, he delighted in saying he lost the other 25 opens that he played in.  

golfers-peter-thomson-and-bruce-devlin-stand-beside-arnold-palmer-of-the-united-states-before-a-pro-am-at-the-australian-golf-club-in-sydney-australian-golfers-peter-thomson-l-and-bruce-devlin-r-stand-beside-mu (1).jpg

My greatest hero in golf is not a pro but our all-time club champion. And the player and the man your comment transpires is exactly how our club champion is like. I always tell him he is our Peter Thomson and he simply smiles knowing this is high praise for any golfer.