2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

World cup

scruffynick

Agree with our scruffy brother, Golden Goal is an abomination in the eyes of the gods.

If it matters to the discussion, I'm US born.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

44 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Agree with our scruffy brother, Golden Goal is an abomination in the eyes of the gods.

If it matters to the discussion, I'm US born.

OK, I admit it. I hadda look it up. :classic_rolleyes:

Sudden death. Yep, that's what I meant.

Play until you drop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OR a goal is scored. 🙃

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

So I remember Mario Kempes scoring, Maradona passing to Burruchaga and scoring, Tardelli scoring and cheering; that never ending boring match between Italy and Germany; the crazy red card of Zidane; another lost final by the Dutch; the brilliant play of Modric in 2018. etc etc. But what will I remember of today? My memory is vivid but my judgment instantly stopped working.          

Edited by baudi
  • Like 2

I’ve been a soccer fan from the days where we had to get boot leg VHS and Beta tapes from friends, and I’ve not seen a crazier match than today. Incredible, had everything!

How could you not become a soccer fan after seeing that match?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

16 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Why?  Each team had 90 minutes to win the game.  If you can't win the match in that time, why should you get a chance when you concede in extra time?

It was 1-1 at 90 mins, golden goal was in extra time....it meant no team really wanted to attack because they were scared to death of conceding.....the final just ended, was a strange feeling. 

Best solution I've heard is play 20 minutes, no winner swap ends and it's play til there's a winner... basically it's golden goal but they've had 20 minutes to try and win. Penalties is great drama but it's for me right to see a world cup winner on penalties....same with the CL even i was in Moscow to see United win it, the emotions of that penalty shout out is still with me today.....was just painful 😖

If I were the tsar of FIFA I would play 90, then 30, then go to sudden death.  In my eyes, France didn't lose the game, they lost the skills competition at the end of the game.

I also hope they don't do it in the winter, and I suspect they won't be able to pull it off again.  I can't see La Liga, Premier League, etc. standing for it a second time.  Similar to the Olympics and ice hockey.  The NHL doesn't want it at all, and by dollar amounts, the NHL is small potatoes.

Seeing a lot conversation with Messi as the GOAT now.  Any thoughts on this?  I suspect NIck will opine its Beckham (kidding... I hope).  It is so hard to compare across eras, but what does everyone think?

For the record, I am not old enough to have seen much of Pele, certainly not in his prime.  I did see both Maradona and Messi, and it would be impossible for me to name one over the other.  No chance.  So in the trinity of Pele, Messi, Maradona, they are three in one, the great-ests.  🙂 

If forced, I'd select Messi, and loudly qualify that with recency bias.

I'd put Zidane, Best, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Ronaldo et. al. in a logjam behind the trinity.

Edited by mshills
  • Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I didn't see Pele or any others of that era in their prime, but as I tend to do when stacking up the greats is to measure if they changed the game, or how it is/was being played.

Deep down, without much to go on, I have always thought of Beckenbauer as doing this.  When he was no longer fast enough he created his own position which was used for 20 years before the Brazilians took the world by storm with the flat back 4.

But Pele played back when the ball was akin to a pumpkin.  Over the past 20 years they have gone to the sealed seams to promote knuckling as well as increase the velocity of the ball 15% from the Tangos of the 80's, so Messi absolutely has that advantage.  Whether 80% of all goals are scored inside the penalty mark, just having the ability to shoot from further out is a big deal because it requires the defense to step up sooner creating more space.

Maradona was always tough for me.  I don't think I ever, and I mean ever, saw him touch the ball with his right foot unless it couldn't be helped and I always thought the best players had to be capable with both feet.

Then comes Platini and Zidane, they were wizards.  So was Cryuff.  It is really the impossible question, but I asked the question so I have to stick my oar in, though like MShills, it is simply opinion:

Messi, if not for any other reason than longevity of production, but I could pick a lot of folks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

If I were the tsar of FIFA I would play 90, then 30, then go to sudden death.  In my eyes, France didn't lose the game, they lost the skills competition at the end of the game.

I also hope they don't do it in the winter, and I suspect they won't be able to pull it off again.  I can't see La Liga, Premier League, etc. standing for it a second time.  Similar to the Olympics and ice hockey.  The NHL doesn't want it at all, and by dollar amounts, the NHL is small potatoes.

Seeing a lot conversation with Messi as the GOAT now.  Any thoughts on this?  I suspect NIck will opine its Beckham (kidding... I hope).  It is so hard to compare across eras, but what does everyone think?

I think there are some differences though with the NHL.  It's only relatively recently that NHL players were playing in that tournament, whereas the world cup has been happening for 80 years.  

The NHL owners don't want the Olympics under the conditions the IOC imposes.  Namely, the NHL cannot use any images from any games to promote the sport, and secondly(or firstly depending on your POV), the owners are expected to shoulder any insurance costs.  Given the contracts some guys have, you're looking at millions in insurance premiums.  So the owner is expected to give up his player for a time, run the risk of injury(ask the Islanders if they would have rather than John Tavares healthy for the rest of 2014 season, or if the insurance made it ok), pay that fee, all for the ability to not use anything from that tournament.  There's a saying about not using any lube that fits here.

Soccer has always had this as part of the equation.  I'd be curious to know if the leagues are willing to consider this.  Given the turf wars breaking out in soccer(UEFA threatening to break away from FIFA), who knows what will happen.  I know I watched more because I have been inside more than I would be in summer, but that's n=1.

Tough to say on Messi.  Tough to hold not winning the world cup against a guy, given a)you need to be born in a country that is strong in soccer, and then b)the team needs to be good.  But holy crap, is that man a magician with the ball on his foot. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 6:47 PM, Petethreeput said:

Messi is there for sure even without a world cup win but to many it cements it.....but for me, maradona was the greatest. He did things which were beyond anything I've seen...took decent sides and single handedly won them titles. 86 was stunning, and his time at Napoli was just unbelievable.

For the other greats and true greats are the usual Pele, Cruyff, Best, Zidane none have come close to what they did....sorry Ronaldo you're just a great goal scorer not a true great player......not in top 5 man utd greats to be honest 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scruffynick said:

Messi is there for sure even without a world cup win but to many it cements it.....but for me, maradona was the greatest. He did things which were beyond anything I've seen...took decent sides and single handedly won them titles. 86 was stunning, and his time at Napoli was just unbelievable.

For the other greats and true greats are the usual Pele, Cruyff, Best, Zidane none have come close to what they did....sorry Ronaldo you're just a great goal scorer not a true great player......not in top 5 man utd greats to be honest 

Who else can make a ball change direction that is nowhere near his head, body or feet?  😀

• Haha 1

I admit the Hand of God goal 🤢 is a big part of why I can't celebrate Maradona's level of play.  Call it a disqualifying moment, at least in my eyes...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I've been watching the World Cup since I was a boy (almost as long as I've been playing golf). This was, without a doubt, the most exciting final I've ever seen. A game for the ages. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag