2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

2023 cobra irons in hand

QuigleyDU

1 hour ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Last Sunday my son and I went and got the drivers and then he hit the Tours and Cb’s. He kept saying how the Tours were softer (he didn’t know it was them until we told him after hitting. They’re both beautiful, well all 3 models are…

/cdn-cgi/mirage/b7a73eda2099c7ee054fefd6b0908c1c35c49e9d8e92c092a1a46794b72194ca/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/b7a73eda2099c7ee054fefd6b0908c1c35c49e9d8e92c092a1a46794b72194ca/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/CE812649-D99C-4B8E-81E1-6AAB6995A09F.jpeg.0bb6cc9529acaf8419a1e1cad315ba5f.jpeg

One thing I have not been able to tell is what is the blade length difference between the Tour and the CB? I have seen each separately but not together.

Is it a big difference or are they close enough to be blended? I like the look of both but the CB short irons look so good. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

One thing I have not been able to tell is what is the blade length difference between the Tour and the CB? I have seen each separately but not together.

Is it a big difference or are they close enough to be blended? I like the look of both but the CB short irons look so good. 

Very easy to blend them. Not much difference at all

• Thanks 1

Driver:  MIZUNO STZ-230 (11.5) - Ventus Blue Velocore 6s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Utility: T.B.D.

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

I was just checking out Cobra’s site. I was leaning more towards the CB than the Tour, but they’ve kinda scared me (and possibly other prospective buyers) off with their handicap suggestions:

Tour to 3 for the CB and MB, Tour to 7 for Tour. 

I’m just starting to get properly back into the game after years away, and I’m playing to about 5ish at the moment, but I’m in my late 40s now and worried these will be too much club for me. 

Found these hiding at my local Dicks Sporting Goods….Cb on left, Tour on right. 

075A2539-1A44-4613-B551-327FA545176C.jpeg

17CB9EB1-FBBE-40B0-B5CD-82D35FD930F5.jpeg

2BEDFBD2-1948-47A4-8318-121064799FCF.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Wayside said:

I was just checking out Cobra’s site. I was leaning more towards the CB than the Tour, but they’ve kinda scared me (and possibly other prospective buyers) off with their handicap suggestions:

I’m just starting to get properly back into the game after years away, and I’m playing to about 5ish at the moment, but I’m in my late 40s now and worried these will be too much club for me. 

I wouldn't go by the handicap recommendations on the site. You can be a high-handicap or a low handicap for a multitude of reasons. I'm currently a 12 hcp, but trending down, and a decent ball striker with the irons - I currently play the new 2023 Cobra Tour irons and love them! I say go test them out and see if they fit you. A fitting is very crucial to fit YOUR swing, not the general masses. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Woods: Titleist TSR2 9° Driver, TSR3 3 wood, Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (4-GW)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: SC Phantom 7

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 hours ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Thanks for this. Exactly what I was looking for. Makes me want to hit the CB even more.

And @Wayside I would say those handicap ranges are a little off, even compared to what other OEMs recommend for similar irons. No reason not to try them. I think a 5 can play these irons, no question. Start off with the Tours and CB and see what you think. Probably can play the MB if you like, at least in the scoring irons. The Tours are easy launchers, not at all an intimidating club.

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. 

Snag is, there’s nowhere to try them where I live (tiny British island near France).

I spent many years watching people buy clubs that were too demanding for them, and I’m trying not to be a hypocrite.

I’ve noticed a few tour pros have the full set of Tours in the bag, and I’m thinking that means I should buy the Tours, even though I love the CB. 

13 hours ago, Wayside said:

Thanks, guys. 

Snag is, there’s nowhere to try them where I live (tiny British island near France).

I spent many years watching people buy clubs that were too demanding for them, and I’m trying not to be a hypocrite.

I’ve noticed a few tour pros have the full set of Tours in the bag, and I’m thinking that means I should buy the Tours, even though I love the CB. 

It may be a bit of a pain and cost you more shipping, but you can buy a single club from Cobra. So if you feel confident in the Tour, try one out. Or, as I have done in the past, hedge your bet: Order a Tour long iron and a CB pitching wedge. See how it goes and fill in accordingly. I always figure I know I can hit the wedge and it gives me a feel as to how to build out the set. My speculative set would be 4-6 in Tours and 7-PW in CB. 

They should blend well. Looking at the reviews out there, at the same lofts the Tour is not a faster iron than the CB, it is designed to have more perimeter weighting so a little higher MOI. With the milled slot it should not suffer as much of a yardage drop on lateral mishits. It has stronger lofts but with minimal adjustments to address that the two heads should deliver similar performance at same lofts. 

• Like 3

On 2/19/2023 at 6:03 AM, Wayside said:

I know you shouldn't let handicap decide whats in your bag, but a 5 should be able to game these. Maybe blend them with the tours in a few of your longer clubs.

• Like 1

See, this is why I shouldn’t come on forums. Been waiting for PXG to release the 0317 cavity set, and now I want a full set of Cobras. 

The utility is nice too, as is the Vessel bag. 

The nearest place I can have a hit is a neighbouring island, but that involves a flight and hotel stay. They do have a nice hotel at the course though, so maybe I’ll just tell my girlfriend I’m treating her to a spa trip 😄

I ordered a 5 and 6 iron in the tour iron. I have been playing mostly bblades from 5 - PW and these should blend in nicely.

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

12 hours ago, Wayside said:

The nearest place I can have a hit is a neighbouring island, but that involves a flight and hotel stay. They do have a nice hotel at the course though, so maybe I’ll just tell my girlfriend I’m treating her to a spa trip 😄

Yikes, I'm over here complaining about driving an hour to the nearest PGA Superstore...

I'm all for rationalizing the purchase of new clubs, so I'm sure the gf would love a nice spa day!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eddy008 said:

Anyone know when the blacked out forged tecs are supposed to come out?

Looks like today!

image.png.688806b6a3e661f00aeb55aebd06eacc.png

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

10 hours ago, rsh0308 said:

Looks like today!

image.png.688806b6a3e661f00aeb55aebd06eacc.png

Where’s that at?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2023 at 6:36 AM, cw1209 said:

Just got my set in. Tours 4-P with KBS Tour V. Really impressive iron. I will agree with a previous post, reminds of an AP2 before they shrunk it down to the T100. Offset is minimal and sole width will be a non-issue for most. Swingweights were spot on (D2-D3). Two nitpicks.... #1 Cobra lengths are measured to the end of the grip and maybe a little shorter than that. I asked for a 1/4" long and I measure them as being standard (Cobra) length to the end of the grip. 1/4'" isn't a big deal, but if you are trying to match other clubs in your bag it's nice to know. #2 All the grips are set at 1 o'clock for no reason. Maybe one of them is straight. I wish I would of had them sent in box instead of installed. I got an upcharge grip and would like them on straight. Doubt I can blow them off since they are half cord (MCC). 

Reach back out to Cobra.  I had the same thing happen to me and they sent me a full set a no charge.

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Tensei 1K Black 85X

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 4i | Ventus Black 9TX

Taylor Made P770 (5-6) | Project X LS 6.5

Taylor Made P7MC (7-P) | Project X LS 6.5

Titleist SM9 Raw 52F/58M/62LBK | DG S400

Taylor Made Spider Tour X L-Neck

Titleist Pro V1

42 minutes ago, Jeffyr11 said:

Reach back out to Cobra.  I had the same thing happen to me and they sent me a full set a no charge.

I did contact them and they responded the same way by shipping me a new set of grips. Very nice of Cobra to do that and great customer service. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

38 minutes ago, COmedic said:

Asked on another forum but how do Cobra irons measure out as compared to Srixon, Titleist, etc.? I like standard Srixon length, which is about 1/4” longer than Titleist and close to 1/2” longer than Taylormade. Thanks!

Cobra measurements are to the end of the grip. Srixon measurements are to the end of the shaft and will measure 1/4" longer than stated to end of the grip. If you order both Srixon and Cobra at standard length, the Srixon PW will be 1/4" shorter than Cobra, 3-9 will be the same length since there is only 1/4" between the 9 and PW in the Cobra set. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Tensei AV White 65X / BRNR 13.5 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

57 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

Cobra measurements are to the end of the grip. Srixon measurements are to the end of the shaft and will measure 1/4" longer than stated to end of the grip. If you order both Srixon and Cobra at standard length, the Srixon PW will be 1/4" shorter than Cobra, 3-9 will be the same length since there is only 1/4" between the 9 and PW in the Cobra set. 

Fantastic response, thank you so much. 

Any follow up from those who have Tour/CB split sets? Or are the tours good enough to take a 9-handicap lower? I like my Srixons but V-sole bounce doesn’t help my already shallower swing.

I did a fitting last week and  ordered the Tours (2° weak). Great feeling iron. They beat out the P7TW which is such a good blade (apples to oranges I know). I thought the fitter lost his mind when he pulled the P7TW.  The nod went to the Tours for the forgiveness. The Tours aren’t overly techy but that cavity works well. Ball speed was slightly higher than the P7TW but not by a ton. Really excited to get them in the bag. I’ve never liked Cobra aesthetics but this line is gorgeous. They’ll blend nice with my Cobra walking bag that was a random purchase. 

I’m coming from Srixion ZX5ii; great irons but I didn’t care for the wider sole and clicky feel. I tried the zx7 in attempt to replace the 7-PW of the ZX5 but they were too low spin for me. I have a combo set of T100/T100S and the Tours feel much better. 

Edited by Jmccas
  • Like 3

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7