2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf as a lifestyle

djohnsonx

I think for me, its the only extra curricular activity ive had thats really "grabbed" me.

I loved the fact its just me, success or failure is down to me, and the game is so intricate there are so many possibilities to it that to me at least dont exist in other games and sports.

I love the fact that theres a huge spectrum for improvement too. And the striving to improve never stops.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

I'd say anything can be set a "lifestyle". There are some people you plan their day around the gym or there week around NFL sundays. I think its whatever attracts you. 

The think about golf to me is that its multi-faceted. For some people its the equipment side, others its being outside, others its a sport. Its also never conquered. You might think you have it one day then the next you don't. I also think there is a large part of people who think they can continue to get better, they're one swing away from putting it all together. 

Not sure if it is a "lifestyle", but it is a joy. Played my first round when I was eights years old. Am now 65 and still playing. 

I've been trough the trials and tribulations of life. Marriage, kids, failing in business, succeeding in business. Taking care of my parents and family and employees. 

But through all those decades with all the ups and downs, there has always been golf. I stand on the first tee of a golf course - regardless of whether it is the most exclusive of private clubs in the USA/EU/Asia, or a goat track in northern Texas - and the world disappears. The world of problems shrinks into my club, the ball, my grip, my swing path. And that temporary escape from the exigencies of life is my refuge. It re-charges me. Fills my engines with rocket fuel. 

Don't know if that means golf is a "lifestyle", but it certainly has contributed to the rhythms and pleasures of my life.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I guess because it can blend with the rest of life. And, I can control the seasonal intensity depending what real world commitments I have. Some assorted benefits:

• It's a sport you can play all your life.
  • It can adjust to life phases. In my 20s, I played Pebble Beach and Torrey Pines - South from the tips. Now I seek tees just under 6000 yards.
  • Exercise programs for older golfers can keep you in shape overall.
  • It's quiet on golf courses - unless someone brings a boom box on their course. The rolling hills and the trees are lovely, and I always note sand bunkers with interesting structures.
  • You get to see animals in their natural habitat - deer, bobcats, rabbits, ground hogs, deer, otters, other golfers... And more than 10 species of squirrels so far (Note: I once saw two deer, followed five minutes later by a bobcat... not sure if the trio ever meshed)
  • Golf courses with a good 19th hole menu are often a solid choice for business lunches

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

A round of golf takes, on average, 4-4.5hrs.  To be proficient at golf, it takes a lot of practice, but the only sport in "my" life where how someone playing the game with me, can be different from how I play the game.  The main reason I took up golf late in life.

All my amateur sports, leading up to taking up golf, required doing them with people just as dedicated and focused as I was.  CAT racing, required training rides lasting 5-8hr, at speed, nothing causal about the ride, we hauled azz; which I can no longer do at that level.  There was nothing causal about training for Two-man Sand V-Ball tournaments, either; can't do that today.  I no longer Ice climb Alpine or Nordic backcountry ski and snow camp.  Couldn't find many people that were that crazy.  Though extreme sports are a lifestyle of sorts, if a person didn't have the dedication, athletic ability and stamina, I couldn't invite he/she to join. 

It was impossible to meet an athletic and educated woman back then, too.  When I took up golf, buddies had been playing since college, invited me to join knowing I never touched a golf club.  I still play with those guys when our schedules allow.  What I quickly learned was as proficient as I was in other sports, golf has an ongoing humbling effect, which I truly relish.

Golf became more serious lifestyle choice when we bought a house on a fairway in a gated private golf club community, and bought a golf cart.  We had dinners, lunch and breakfasts at the club 2–4 times a week and socialized with club members that lived inside the gates.  When I got home on Friday, my car went in the garage, my golf cart became our mode of transportation around the community, to the club, range, playing and to visiting friends.  Even though we both play tennis, it doesn't foster a 3.5 (me) and 4.0 (wife) playing with beginners.

Golf allowed me to meet my wife on the first tee.  She plays in any weather, and as often I want, she plays in tournaments with gal pals, and every trip is a golf trip for us...it's a lifestyle.

Golf, allows me to play my normal focused round with anyone, regardless of skill.  They don't have to be as dedicated as I am.  Golf is lifestyle because it's as much about camaraderie as it is what each of us makes it, regardless of age.   Yep, it's every bit a lifestyle

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

3 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

A round of golf takes, on average, 4-4.5hrs.  To be proficient at golf, it takes a lot of practice, but the only sport in "my" life where how someone playing the game with me, can be different from how I play the game.  The main reason I took up golf late in life.

All my amateur sports, leading up to taking up golf, required doing them with people just as dedicated and focused as I was.  CAT racing, required training rides lasting 5-8hr, at speed, nothing causal about the ride, we hauled azz; which I can no longer do at that level.  There was nothing causal about training for Two-man Sand V-Ball tournaments, either; can't do that today.  I no longer Ice climb Alpine or Nordic backcountry ski and snow camp.  Couldn't find many people that were that crazy.  Though extreme sports are a lifestyle of sorts, if a person didn't have the dedication, athletic ability and stamina, I couldn't invite he/she to join. 

It was impossible to meet an athletic and educated woman back then, too.  When I took up golf, buddies had been playing since college, invited me to join knowing I never touched a golf club.  I still play with those guys when our schedules allow.  What I quickly learned was as proficient as I was in other sports, golf has an ongoing humbling effect, which I truly relish.

Golf became more serious lifestyle choice when we bought a house on a fairway in a gated private golf club community, and bought a golf cart.  We had dinners, lunch and breakfasts at the club 2–4 times a week and socialized with club members that lived inside the gates.  When I got home on Friday, my car went in the garage, my golf cart became our mode of transportation around the community, to the club, range, playing and to visiting friends.  Even though we both play tennis, it doesn't foster a 3.5 (me) and 4.0 (wife) playing with beginners.

Golf allowed me to meet my wife on the first tee.  She plays in any weather, and as often I want, she plays in tournaments with gal pals, and every trip is a golf trip for us...it's a lifestyle.

Golf, allows me to play my normal focused round with anyone, regardless of skill.  They don't have to be as dedicated as I am.  Golf is lifestyle because it's as much about camaraderie as it is what each of us makes it, regardless of age.   Yep, it's every bit a lifestyle

Why is my in quotes?  Is it not your life?

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I think one of the things that makes the game so addicting is it's unpredictability.  One day you can go out and shoot your best round, the next you can shoot your worst.  It's a game that no matter how good you are, you can always get better or more consistent.  There's always new gear and new swings to test and practice.

On 1/13/2023 at 7:51 PM, chinaski said:

I don't see a universal answer to this. For me personally, as a competitive person and somewhat of a perfectionist, it is a perfect storm. I came into golf in my late 30's after years of baseball/softball. I always loved gear: gloves/bats. And I loved BP. That has transitioned into clubs and range time. I would never trade my time on the diamond, but wish I took up the game sooner. 

Your story is the same as mine. Played baseball through high school and started golfing in my mid 30’s. Wish I would’ve taken it up earlier. I’m living vicariously through my son though as far as a teen golfer. He’s got game so that’s a great thing to be a part of and watch him get better. 

This is a very nice thread. I’ve only been golfing for 6 years now and I absolutely love the challenge of it. It’s hands down the hardest sport in the world and the most gratifying as well. I’ve always been good at every sport I’ve played growing up. I can’t imagine anyone being naturally gifted at this game so if you want to get good, you must put in the work. It’s definitely become a lifestyle for me.

17 hours ago, gripANDrip1983 said:

This is a very nice thread. I’ve only been golfing for 6 years now and I absolutely love the challenge of it. It’s hands down the hardest sport in the world and the most gratifying as well. I’ve always been good at every sport I’ve played growing up. I can’t imagine anyone being naturally gifted at this game so if you want to get good, you must put in the work. It’s definitely become a lifestyle for me.

And I am the opposite.  Never been athletic.  I love being able to play golf better than some of my athletic peers.  I'm glad golf has a big mental component, which is more up my alley. 

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I enjoy golf, but it's far from a lifestyle for me. I don't watch it on TV or plan trips around it. But I enjoy the challenge it presents and I don't totally suck at it, so it's fun for me. But I can't justify a club membership that has a dress code or food purchase requirements as I just want to play golf in the gear I'm wearing already. 

I will say I have spent what a logical me would consider a stupid amount of money on clubs and related crap, but I'm not hurting financially and there are far more expensive habits, so no harm in that. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

image.png.e46661aace9233011b4529473eab862d.pngGolf becomes a lifestyle for many because the golf industry group  is so complex and varied. It naturally overlaps with other activities in life.

The golf industry diagram (left, courtesy of SRI) shows the four core industries, plus two enabled - or complementor - industries.

First, it is a fitness activity that one can do most of their life. And, the training activities that enhance golf play are a solid basis for overall lifelong fitness.

Golf clothing doubles well for business casual dress, and a couple can eat supper at the golf club even if they didn't play that day.

Golf facilities often host wedding receptions, anniversaries and monumental birthday event.

And, golf courses are clumps of greenery (at least in the Midwest). Golf courses help remove carbon dioxide for urban landscape. And, many find being near golf courses or parklands as refreshing.

Golf is a lifestyle, because it can intersect with so many aspects of our overall lives.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

It's the same as anything else.  Surfing, music, motocross, etc. Its an individual activity vs a team activity that becomes the fabric of your culture and time you spend on it.

It's individual so it tends to define who you are and how you live.

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose my definition of lifestyle is different than that of others. 

I love golf: I walk 3-4 9-hole rounds after work and 18 holes on Sunday afternoon. I get 4-6 lessons a year and will chip in my yard between meetings. 

With that said, it isn't part of my identity. I don't wear golf-specific clothes away from the course (although I find that RLX polos are great for casual wear and not golf-branded). I don't own a hat that has some club brand on it; my hats exist solely of my favorite 3 MLB teams and a Paul Hogan style aussie hat for bright days. I watch the Masters and that's about it, otherwise it's MLB on TV.  I don't talk about golf unless I am around another golfer, and even then, there are usually more interesting topics. Most of my learning/talking about golf is done here when I am bored at work! 

When I think of lifestyle sports I think of sports such as golf, surfing, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking. The sports where you know immediately that someone's identity is wrapped up in a sport. Same as when an identity is tied to a job, which is common for some, or being a parent. IMO, that is never healthy. What happens when you cannot play that sport/lose your job/kids grow up? 

it's a sport that I really enjoy though, but I think that for it to be considered a lifestyle, someone would have to meet me and then a month later think "oh yeah, I remember that guy; he's a golfer". 

• Like 1