2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

What would be the most "forgiving" blade or blade-like iron?

Big Bri

I spent all last year trying to find a replacement for my 4-PW mp-18 MB set. It was time for replacements and long irons required practice I don’t have time for anymore. Here is my list from last year..

Ping i210-my swing didn’t get along with the sole. Too much bounce. 

T100 21’- Never felt right. Weight and ball flights were off for me. 8-PW produced high spinning shots. 7-4 iron felt better but still not quite right either. I believe if I went through a better fitting that I would’ve stayed with these but the Shaft/head combo was off. Swing weight felt light in my hands but didn’t check them. 

PXG Gen4 0311 St 5-PW / Gen 4 T 3-4- Got fit and swing weight was D2.5 +.5in length… Played/practiced with them and they felt off as well. At this point I’m very frustrated. I take them to be spec checked to be sure I’m not crazy at this point and sure enough. Swing weights were D0. 

Mizuno Pro 221 6-PW / 223 4-5-

I wasn’t liking the distance gap I was seeing in the middle of the set with the 223. That’s why I ended up doing a blend. 223 4-5 iron bent 1 degree weak fit perfectly into the 221 6-PW imo. The added bounce in the 4-5 iron is barley noticeable and the added spin is comparable to the rest of the 221 set. Wanted something more forgiving and I found what I was looking for with a blend of 221/223. Specs ended up being spot on and swing weight feels great at D3. 

My vote in 221/223 blend with 223 bent weak.  221 is on the small side even for a blade but depending on where your  miss is on the face it’s very playable. I tend to miss high on the face but and these do much better the my mp-18s on that miss. Just like every muscle back I’ve ever played, these don’t do well with toe hits. First range session with the 221/223 and the misses high on the face with the 7 iron still stayed within 5 yards of the target. You can see in the picture I get all the way into the middle/upper groves on my misses. Very impressed with how they perform that high on the face. 

821BEEE5-9D88-4800-913B-C4C16055256B.jpeg

• Like 1

I just turned 67 years old, and faced the same decision. 

Ping i230 are my choice. Clean look in the bag, clean look at set up, and feel exceptionally good.

That leaves me with the Pings, and a set of Taylor Made P7-MC Raw irons as my second set.

Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum!

• Like 1

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

TaylorMade P790 4 - 9 Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 46-10F, 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

TaylorMade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

9 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

I'm sorry all, but the correct answer is, and always will be, Adams Idea MBs's, lol! 

Funny, I'm considering trying yet another set of shafts in my Pro Black MBs, just for the hell of it.  They are such a cool set of irons.  They are indeed very forgiving for blades. Good luck finding a really clean set though. 

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

18 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

I'm sorry all, but the correct answer is, and always will be, Adams Idea MBs's, lol! 

I'm a little disappointed to see GolfWorks never measured a set of those.  I'd be curious to see the MOI...

Because, science!   🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Wow so many great recommendations thank you all.

So i need to try:

Srixon zx7, z forged

New Cobra King tour

Taylormade P7MC, P770

Miura mc501, 502, 1008cb

PXG  gen 5 0311st

Mizuno pro 221/223

next Titleist T100

Ping i59, blueprint, new i230

Unfortunately Wilson irons arent sold here in South Korea

Quest for the forever club continues...

On 1/14/2023 at 11:58 PM, Red4282 said:

Unfortunately for you, what you are looking for, you dont want. 2021 t100.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:42 AM, sadclevelandsports said:

Been down this path...led me to the t100.....

19 hours ago, ARSM1932 said:

Titleist T100 are unquestionably the most forgiving for their size but the Blueprint are not forgiving at all so those are not even in the same ballpark as the T100, maybe the new Cobra Tour or CB but haven't hit them yet.

for some reason, i don't like how it looks in the bag. 21 t100 looks bland or boring for some reason. maybe i am not a fan of the brushed chrome finish. I think prefer shiny chrome or raw. Really hoping the new release has one of those finishes. 

On 1/15/2023 at 1:24 AM, bvanlieu said:

Big Bri, really comes down to what you want to look at. Any blade like tech club is going to be a bit chunkier top line and wider sole. T100's are very thin relatively on the top side but you ruled it out. I have no issues with the P770s or P760s but they are chunkier top lines for sure, some can't stand to look at them. 

The P7MC is very skinny, narrow sole, and a wee bit more forgiving than the MBs. 

I picked up the Miura 1008 CBs because they are blade like from the top but not blades cause I like the help 😄 

I want both! reason why i still play 19 t100 is because its top line is thin at address. i dont think i can stand the chunkier side. wow miura 1008 cbs look nice. must try those

22 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

But, echoing the wonderful @Forged4ever, if you are asking a question about "forgiveness" as it pertains to a blade, then you just aren't ready to play one yet.  And that's not meant as a dig at someone, just that the mindset of the golfer who is good enough to play blades full time just isn't considering the very few times that they are going to miss-hit it bad enough where traditional forgiveness comes into play.  At least, that's where my head was at, not trying to put words in anyone's mouth.  I think the first time I heard him say that, it was in regards to putters, but the sentiment remains the same.  

Fairways & Greens, hope all is well Richard!

15 hours ago, Yoshifan151 said:

Another thing, are you looking for a blade/muscle back? Because saying "blade-like" has gotten you responses of clubs that, while have some visual resemblance of a blade, will perform nothing like an actual ones. My 2 suggestions are *relatively* forgiving for blades, but still are harder to hit than 97% of other irons on the market, which includes every non-blade listed here. The closest you'll get are forged single piece players CBs, anything farther than that is no longer in my eyes "blade like", especially if it's hollow or has foam.

good points. i consider myself fairly a good ball striker (mid-short irons) and i hit the ball far enough so i dont really need strong lofts. Yet, i am not the highest spinner and i can def use some stopping power with 4 or 5 iron which is why i would love some forgiveness or help that can give me higher trajectory. Another reason why i want "blades" is the look at address as i am not a fan of the chunky top line, and it sounds like none of the hollow body irons has one. Finally i am looking for my "forever" clubs that can make me smile by just looking at them. Who wouldnt want that. 

So yeah like Yoshifan said, I think either a combo set with true blades and CB/T100-like forged players irons or a full set of CB/forged players irons is a way to go for me.

13 hours ago, jac1292 said:

My vote in 221/223 blend with 223 bent weak.  221 is on the small side even for a blade but depending on where your  miss is on the face it’s very playable. I tend to miss high on the face but and these do much better the my mp-18s on that miss. Just like every muscle back I’ve ever played, these don’t do well with toe hits. First range session with the 221/223 and the misses high on the face with the 7 iron still stayed within 5 yards of the target. You can see in the picture I get all the way into the middle/upper groves on my misses. Very impressed with how they perform that high on the face. 

great stuff. My misses are usually toe hits. cant wait to try 221/223 combos. they look awesome as well

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Big Bri said:

So i need to try:

Srixon zx7, z forged

New Cobra King tour

Taylormade P7MC, P770

Miura mc501, 502, 1008cb

PXG  gen 5 0311st

Mizuno pro 221/223

next Titleist T100

for some reason, i don't like how it looks in the bag. 21 t100 looks bland or boring for some reason. maybe i am not a fan of the brushed chrome finish. I think prefer shiny chrome or raw. Really hoping the new release has one of those finishes. 

I want both! reason why i still play 19 t100 is because its top line is thin at address. i dont think i can stand the chunkier side. wow miura 1008 cbs look nice. must try those

good points. i consider myself fairly a good ball striker (mid-short irons) and i hit the ball far enough so i dont really need strong lofts. Yet, i am not the highest spinner and i can def use some stopping power with 4 or 5 iron which is why i would love some forgiveness or help that can give me higher trajectory. Another reason why i want "blades" is the look at address as i am not a fan of the chunky top line, and it sounds like none of the hollow body irons has one. Finally i am looking for my "forever" clubs that can make me smile by just looking at them. Who wouldnt want that. 

So yeah like Yoshifan said, I think either a combo set with true blades and CB/T100-like forged players irons or a full set of CB/forged players irons is a way to go for me.

great stuff. My misses are usually toe hits. cant wait to try 221/223 combos. they look awesome as well

You are going to have to make a consession somewhere. If t100 fits everything you are looking for except bag appeal… 🤷‍♂️. Other options may have better bag appeal but will be chunkier/ less forgiving, etc.

Another vote here for the MP221 Combos!

The Wilson Staff blade was the first blade I ever hit. Got a 7 iron with an MMT shaft to mess around with last winter. Still bring it out to the range to hit once and awhile. The blade length is longer than most which makes it more forgiving than most. Part of me still wishes I got these or the CB’s.

Ended up with the 223’s even though I hit the 221’s just as good wanted to wait a bit and work on my swing more before going to the blades. Going to combo them this summer in 7,8,9 and vokey PW

In accordance with @Phabs, I also play the the Nike VR II Pros, 4 through pitching wedge. In the 7-pw, in my opinion you could not ask for a better looking/feeling golf club. 6-4 are a little harder to hit, but I if you can find a combo set, those things are beautiful too. Not too big a profile in the longer irons while still incorporating more forgiveness.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Big Bri said:

So i need to try:

Srixon zx7, z forged

New Cobra King tour

Taylormade P7MC, P770

Miura mc501, 502, 1008cb

PXG  gen 5 0311st

Mizuno pro 221/223

next Titleist T100

The i230 have almost 0 drop off on toe misses… look through reviews.. 

Srixon z-forged hands down. larger footprint for a blade and easy to hit

Close second is Miura MC-501

TM Qi10 9* ... 2024 HZRDUS T1100 60x

TM BRNR Mini 13.5 ... 2024 HZRDUS T1100 70x

TM Qi10 Tour 6w... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

TM Qi10 Tour 4h... KBS Proto Hybrid 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS $-Taper 125 S+

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

On 1/14/2023 at 2:06 PM, zeebot said:

All not blades 

Well aware they are not blades. The title of the post says blade or blade like. The term blade like is open for interpretation, but all of the irons I listed are compact, slim top line and clean “blade like” looking heads with the extra forgiveness they were asking for.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:31 PM, jac1292 said:

I spent all last year trying to find a replacement for my 4-PW mp-18 MB set. It was time for replacements and long irons required practice I don’t have time for anymore. Here is my list from last year..

Ping i210-my swing didn’t get along with the sole. Too much bounce. 

T100 21’- Never felt right. Weight and ball flights were off for me. 8-PW produced high spinning shots. 7-4 iron felt better but still not quite right either. I believe if I went through a better fitting that I would’ve stayed with these but the Shaft/head combo was off. Swing weight felt light in my hands but didn’t check them. 

PXG Gen4 0311 St 5-PW / Gen 4 T 3-4- Got fit and swing weight was D2.5 +.5in length… Played/practiced with them and they felt off as well. At this point I’m very frustrated. I take them to be spec checked to be sure I’m not crazy at this point and sure enough. Swing weights were D0. 

Mizuno Pro 221 6-PW / 223 4-5-

I wasn’t liking the distance gap I was seeing in the middle of the set with the 223. That’s why I ended up doing a blend. 223 4-5 iron bent 1 degree weak fit perfectly into the 221 6-PW imo. The added bounce in the 4-5 iron is barley noticeable and the added spin is comparable to the rest of the 221 set. Wanted something more forgiving and I found what I was looking for with a blend of 221/223. Specs ended up being spot on and swing weight feels great at D3. 

How are you liking this set?  I’m thinking about pull the trigger on the same set makeup.

On 9/12/2023 at 2:52 PM, Pnwpingi210 said:

How are you liking this set?  I’m thinking about pull the trigger on the same set makeup.

221s really blends well with the 223s bent 1 degree weak. The 221 plays as expected coming from the mp18. I feel I could’ve gone either way with the 221vs223 5 iron. 223 in the 4 iron is a must imo. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Get a real deal pure forged iron if you’re going in this direction. Srixon Z Forged and Fourteen TB-7 are both gorgeous and forgiving. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches