2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

My concern for me with Autoflex is ... I can tend to get spinny with my driver. I don't rock a Ventus Black because I think I'm crazy fast - I'm not - but because I need everything to bring down spin. It only went too far when I tried a TS4 a while back. I so wanted to love that driver but spin was so low; couldn't keep the ball in the air. 

I know their whole thing is about dispelling how we think about shafts ... but to me, flex means spin. Def curious how it goes!

Interesting enough, Adam Scott's one of the few that's gamed a 4. And did the Autoflex experiment. I'm nearly as handsome as he is so maybe we're on the same page 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I would love to give the Autoflex a shot also. $$$ but I don’t / can’t really ho clubs so I am grudgingly ok with the buy once cry once perspective. 

I did a bit of digging last year and IIRC, the shaft isn’t available long enough for my driver specs. 😂 That’s another way to keep the ho in check. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

It's hard to find anything specific on the Autoflex, but it sounds comparable to what the Loomis GLX did to fly fishing when it was introduced.  It was lighter than any previous rod.  It was faster than any previous rod.  It was also more comfortable for multiple casting types.  And it was also knocked for being more fragile than other rods.

They achieved it by using ultra high modulus graphite with a taper design that put the strength in the butt section (think handle in this case) and the tip was much more sensitive and quick in action than prior rods.  I suspect Autoflex have somehow created a very similar flex profile using high modulus graphite to keep the weight down while not losing it's speed.  The crazy thing about the GLX was the slow moving casters were able to generate a lot of power, and the faster casters had the firm butt end to eat that energy but still get the line moving with the thin, light, fast tip.  It really was, in the fiy fishing world, a game changer.  Over the years all the major manufacturers came out with their own version of the profile.  One thing that didn't happen though, the price didn't drop, each company put them out at very similar price points.

The Sage XP, the Scott S3, the Winston Boron, and Orvis all came out with similar (but different) rods.  I wonder if this won't happen in this instance.  I can guarantee all the shaft manufacturers have a couple of them and are dicing and slicing them to figure out what they did and how they might be able to copy much of it without infringing on copyrights.

EDIT: of course I could be all wet, and at that price it is unlikely I would ever take the plunge to try one.  Looking forward to hearing about your results.  Do us a favor and purposely try to pull the handle or something to give us that impression as well.

Edited by Petethreeput

1 hour ago, touch said:

I decided to change it up.

I was committed to playing with some members this afternoon where I work. When I got up this morning I wasn't feeling that was what I wanted to do golf playing wise. I thought heck I'll be there tomorrow thru the weekend so let's instead play some place different. I sent out texts but unfortunately couldn't find a game with any golf buddies, so I called the pro at Broadmoor and told him to stick me with any group that has room for a single to join them. That's right I'm rolling the dice and will be paired up with some randoms. 🎲

I looked it up on my handicap card and saw that I haven't played Broadmoor since the 3rd week of January. I have missed this golf course. I figured why not play a flat track for a change. 

I'm here early for practice prior to my 3 PM tee time. 

The weather is spectacular. Currently it's 68* under sunny skies with 25% humidity and  5-15 mph winds . It will reach 74* while I'm out playing.

So I've traded playing with members that I know for a group that I will just be meeting for the first time. Let's see how I do and what surprises are in store for me on this lovely spring afternoon. 🏌️

17138958177661618590913484235685.jpg

17138958421946923382991133541842.jpg

Partly cultural differences but it’s always fascinating to me how some people almost always play with people they know and some roll solo. I’m in the solo camp +90% of the time and I’m yet to run into a truly negative experience with playing partners (some slow play and unforgetable personalities at times but that’s to be expected). The vast majority of people are a pleasure to play and chat with.

Finnish people are not really known to be social or talkative but I guess golf is the exception to the rule 😄

Have a great round touch!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

It's hard to find anything specific on the Autoflex, but it sounds comparable to what the Loomis GLX did to fly fishing when it was introduced.  It was lighter than any previous rod.  It was faster than any previous rod.  It was also more comfortable for multiple casting types.  And it was also knocked for being more fragile than other rods.

They achieved it by using ultra high modulus graphite with a taper design that put the strength in the butt section (think handle in this case) and the tip was much more sensitive and quick in action than prior rods.  I suspect Autoflex have somehow created a very similar flex profile using high modulus graphite to keep the weight down while not losing it's speed.  The crazy thing about the GLX was the slow moving casters were able to generate a lot of power, and the faster casters had the firm butt end to eat that energy but still get the line moving with the thin, light, fast tip.  It really was, in the fiy fishing world, a game changer.  Over the years all the major manufacturers came out with their own version of the profile.  One thing that didn't happen though, the price didn't drop, each company put them out at very similar price points.

The Sage XP, the Scott S3, the Winston Boron, and Orvis all came out with similar (but different) rods.  I wonder if this won't happen in this instance.  I can guarantee all the shaft manufacturers have a couple of them and are dicing and slicing them to figure out what they did and how they might be able to copy much of it without infringing on copyrights.

EDIT: of course I could be all wet, and at that price it is unlikely I would ever take the plunge to try one.  Looking forward to hearing about your results.  Do us a favor and purposely try to pull the handle or something to give us that impression as well.

... Right there with you and cost is just so relative. Unless I was able to hit and play one, I would never pay $880 for a golf shaft. Or even 1/2 that at $440. And even then it becomes a question of what performance is worth how much money. That question is of course unique to every one of us. If I gained 5 yds and better diversion would I pay $880? I don't think so. Some would. Of course some have insane amounts of disposable income and wouldn't think twice about paying g for an Autoflex shaft. I think if I gained 10+yds and better dispersion I would seriously consider it. 

... On the other hand, I would happily pay $880 for a nights lodging and play Bandon Dunes. That is one day and the Autoflex would be for years of play. As my 33yr old son said "Don't buy things, buy experiences". 

... Thankfully I have been doing reviews for many, many years and even though I will have the same kind of excitement anyone else would have hitting an $880 shaft for the first time, I understand it is a process and I have to just keep an open mind without any expectations and see how it plays over several weeks. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Right there with you and cost is just so relative. Unless I was able to hit and play one, I would never pay $880 for a golf shaft. Or even 1/2 that at $440. And even then it becomes a question of what performance is worth how much money. That question is of course unique to every one of us. If I gained 5 yds and better diversion would I pay $880? I don't think so. Some would. Of course some have insane amounts of disposable income and wouldn't think twice about paying g for an Autoflex shaft. I think if I gained 10+yds and better dispersion I would seriously consider it. 

... On the other hand, I would happily pay $880 for a nights lodging and play Bandon Dunes. That is one day and the Autoflex would be for years of play. As my 33yr old son said "Don't buy things, buy experiences". 

... Thankfully I have been doing reviews for many, many years and even though I will have the same kind of excitement anyone else would have hitting an $880 shaft for the first time, I understand it is a process and I have to just keep an open mind without any expectations and see how it plays over several weeks. 

My kids say that as well, “buy experiences”. And while I somewhat agree, if the material thing (that shaft in this case) really does work and adds 10 yards of carry, how much does that enhance the “experience” of every round of golf a person plays.

But, in regards to the Autoflex. There is some pretty good information on this, I think in the Club Techs forum. They’ve talked quite a bit about similar results from lightweight ladies flex shafts. I’ve never tried it, so just repeating a little I’ve read. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Peak said:

I’m in the solo camp +90% of the time and I’m yet to run into a truly negative experience with playing partners (some slow play and unforgetable personalities at times but that’s to be expected). The vast majority of people are a pleasure to play and chat with.

Same here. I had a pretty good regular group back in my LA days but moving back to Vegas and the scene I exist in here ... not many golfists. (Funny enough, my only buddy that also plays is one of the most famous punk rockers ever) 

I've never had a bad experience grouped with any strangers and some have been really, really fun. Most memorable was when I got paired up with a kid on the UNLV team out at Paiute a few months back. It was an incredible joy to watch him play. And I did outdrive him ONE time 😂

Got grouped with a kid (and his dad) that was on the Pepperdine team at Rustic Canyon back in my LA days. That round was fun as hell too. Never seen anyone tear apart Rustic like he did. And the tips there matter. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

But, in regards to the Autoflex. There is some pretty good information on this, I think in the Club Techs forum. They’ve talked quite a bit about similar results from lightweight ladies flex shafts. I’ve never tried it, so just repeating a little I’ve read. 

... I have tried two different cheap iterations of an "ottoflex" and had limited success. I think the main thing is having a stable tip with the Autoflex and both had more torque with an active tip so while I did hit some silly bombs, I also hit some pretty offline drives. I would also have some really sky high drives and in Chicago winds that was a deal breaker. The interesting aspect of the marketing is the Dream 7 shaft is supposed to tighten up through the hitting zone and the ladies shafts did not, so timing had to be dammed near perfect to reap the benefits.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have tried two different cheap iterations of an "ottoflex" and had limited success. I think the main thing is having a stable tip with the Autoflex and both had more torque with an active tip so while I did hit some silly bombs, I also hit some pretty offline drives. I would also have some really sky high drives and in Chicago winds that was a deal breaker. The interesting aspect of the marketing is the Dream 7 shaft is supposed to tighten up through the hitting zone and the ladies shafts did not, so timing had to be dammed near perfect to reap the benefits.

That makes a lot of sense. I would think the timing would have be perfect to make one of those work. I think I have a fairly smooth transition (never really seen my swing) so I’ll be interested to see how it works for you. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Same here. I had a pretty good regular group back in my LA days but moving back to Vegas and the scene I exist in here ... not many golfists. (Funny enough, my only buddy that also plays is one of the most famous punk rockers ever) 

I've never had a bad experience grouped with any strangers and some have been really, really fun. Most memorable was when I got paired up with a kid on the UNLV team out at Paiute a few months back. It was an incredible joy to watch him play. And I did outdrive him ONE time 😂

Got grouped with a kid (and his dad) that was on the Pepperdine team at Rustic Canyon back in my LA days. That round was fun as hell too. Never seen anyone tear apart Rustic like he did. And the tips there matter. 

... As an actor with a constantly changing schedule, it was always tough to schedule rounds. Auditons would pop up at the last minute and ruin my plans. So I have been paired up with strangers for years, especially out in LA for my two pilot seasons. I will always remember a Dad and son that joined me on the first tee at Encino with "We are two rich Jews and out CC is closed today so we are slumming at this muni". I laughed thinking they were joking. They were not. Rude, took multiple shots never replacing divots or repair9ng ball marks. Both smoking big cigars and when my partner said he had asthma they said they would stay downwind but brought them on the greens and dropped ashes on the putting surface. After 9 they went fr some cocktails ... and we let the group behind us play through but they never returned. For once their rudeness was greatly appreciated and we played the back as a twosome. 

... Rustic Canyon is one of my favorite courses but I gave up trying to score after the third round there. Always windy, alway6s difficult but oh my so much fun to play. Just might be the best looking to my eye I have ever played. As you know "Rustic" is so apt and it looks like a Scottsman, rolled in and just dug out some bunkers, graded a few tee boxes and just covered the greens without any grading at all. It really looks like they didn't move any of the natural terrain. "Never seen anyone tear apart Rustic like he did." Man that must have been a real treat to see up close and personal! 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Rustic Canyon is one of my favorite courses but I gave up trying to score after the third round there. Always windy, alway6s difficult but oh my so much fun to play. Just might be the best looking to my eye I have ever played. As you know "Rustic" is so apt and it looks like a Scottsman, rolled in and just dug out some bunkers, graded a few tee boxes and just covered the greens without any grading at all. It really looks like they didn't move any of the natural terrain. "Never seen anyone tear apart Rustic like he did." Man that must have been a real treat to see up close and personal! 

Aw man, it was awesome. Real nice kid, real nice dad ... I very much enjoyed that round. 

What always got me at Rustic was those vicious greens. Think this is #4 or #5 ... 

image.jpeg.a969fbef766c0d9072419a71172d6662.jpeg

Just after they started to let folks back on during COVID. Which you can tell from the old Lynx Parallax I'd put in the bag during those crazy times. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aenemated said:

My concern for me with Autoflex is ... I can tend to get spinny with my driver. I don't rock a Ventus Black because I think I'm crazy fast - I'm not - but because I need everything to bring down spin. It only went too far when I tried a TS4 a while back. I so wanted to love that driver but spin was so low; couldn't keep the ball in the air. 

I know their whole thing is about dispelling how we think about shafts ... but to me, flex means spin. Def curious how it goes!

Interesting enough, Adam Scott's one of the few that's gamed a 4. And did the Autoflex experiment. I'm nearly as handsome as he is so maybe we're on the same page 😂

Yeah you may be as handsome but you can't rock the tan sweater/khaki pant look like AS!

Edited by NCLancer

41 minutes ago, aenemated said:

What always got me at Rustic was those vicious greens.

... Nice picture! I really, really dislike tricked up greens. Mounding or slopes added for difficulty. But Rustic just seems like the natural terrain with grass on it. Nothing looks fabricated and I have to imagine may of the original courses have the same kind of greens. (though probably not as fast) There is something so pure about them, even though they can be insanely difficult. 

3 hours ago, aenemated said:

He never says much about his game, but I get the feeling Aen is a stick. 

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, NCLancer said:

Yeah you may be as handsome but you can't rock the tan sweater/khaki pant look like AS!

Once upon a time, ya boy did rock some khaki! 

image.jpeg.3c39d8872738b0ecb6091f4ba79f2151.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Once upon a time, ya boy did rock some khaki! 

image.jpeg.3c39d8872738b0ecb6091f4ba79f2151.jpeg

... LOVE the shoes homey! 

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... LOVE the shoes homey! 

Ashworths! Totally the jam back in the day. Let's just say I came upon them cheaply. 👀

Pretty sure that photo is from '98. But I know it's Bay Tree just a bit north of Myrtle Beach, as it's one of the last rounds I played with my dad. Pretty sure that spot's gone now. 

• Like 3

On 4/22/2024 at 8:19 PM, touch said:

I'm going to experiment. I snagged a set of irons off eBay this past weekend. They left Houston for NC this morning. 😁

The only hint is they are made in Japan.  

If you wanted my Mizuno MP-68's, all you needed to do was ask.  Purchased new in 2012 and the only use they've seen is 3 visits to a grass range and 1 round on the course.  LOL.

• Haha 3

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, imkirby34 said:

If you wanted my Mizuno MP-68's, all you needed to do was ask.  Purchased new in 2012 and the only use they've seen is 3 visits to a grass range and 1 round on the course.  LOL.

LOL

Thanks but I need regular or senior flex lightweight graphite shafts and I know the powerful Bay Area player who is known for bringing the liquor to the course 😄doesn't play anything close to that extra whippy stuff that I need.

Out of curiosity what's in the set? Proj X 6.0's? 

Edited by touch

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3,5,7  FW's  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4      5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790   6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  SS 

TM                  Spider cs  Iomic Absolute-X  

And STILL no Titleist in your bag, LP. 😉 

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? 😂

Edited by aenemated
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, aenemated said:

And STILL no Titleist in your bag, LP. 😉 

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?? 😂

Guess I'm just not cut from the required brawny cloth for Titleist equipment aen. 😄

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:55 AM, chisag said:

I'll take a guess, is it these?

Fujimoto Golf Iron Handcrafted Signature Iura Wing Back in Black Copper

US $12,110.09

Picture 12 of 15
Picture 13 of 15
Picture 14 of 15
Picture 15 of 15

Yeah and if I played those I would also be very proud of my custom pistol collection.  😆Yes I have a touch of sassy style Mr. DJ but those are a bit much.  

1 hour ago, touch said:

LOL

Thanks but I need regular or senior flex lightweight graphite shafts and I know the powerful Bay Area player who is known for bringing the liquor to the course 😄doesn't play anything close to that extra whippy stuff that I need.

Out of curiosity what's in the set? Proj X 6.0's? 

Oh, I would've pulled the shafts for you.  If nothing else, that would make them cheaper to ship.  Haha.  They came with TT-DG S300's, but I honestly don't remember what shafts are in them right now.  All I do know is that they're sitting in the original Mizuno shipping box in my brother's garage.  Some day, I hope to have the adequate game to use them.  I really do miss my MP-30's.

Paradym Ai Smoke TD 10.5* (@ 9.5*) / Ventus Blue TR 6S

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Paradym 5W 18* / GD Tour AD HD 7X

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Callaway '21 Apex Pro 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 125X

Callaway JAWS 52*/56*/60* / KBS $-Taper 130 "8i Spinner"

Argolf Pendragon XL (Broomstick)

Snell MTB Black

Would ya look at that ... my left hand is almost healed and I can play guitar again!

image.jpeg.8dad8ce1d625a1a758e45581d7488174.jpeg

Which means I can play drums which means I can play golf!

Sweet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, touch said:

Guess I'm just not cut from the required brawny cloth for Titleist equipment aen. 😄

Lol! Ok Lounge Host with the Most, here’s a question. 🙂 Do you play a Titleist ball or a glove?

I’m really weird about matching equipment. Really weird. If I have a Titleist bag, I’d better have at least some Vokeys in there if not a more extensive set. Same with a Ping bag, and so on. Sun Mountain and Vessel and Mackenzie bags and the like can have any clubs in there. Titleist has an “out” if I played the ball….but I play a Srixon, and I need a new carry bag, so maybe that Srixon bag that’s on sale might work. 😁

There is no justification for this whatsoever, it is strange! I also prefer more consistency in the brands in my bag. Right now I have Ping D & FW clubs, a Maltby 9w, PXG hybrids, Sub70 irons and wedges, and a Grace putter. Why this bothers me is anyone’s guess, but don’t think that 9w is safe. It will be replaced by a Ping, make no mistake. 

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I don't think it is odd to have favorites.  Heck, I have played Mizuno's since 2004 or something, but I don't have any superstitions about what is in the bag, or the bag, or anything like that.  Though, I will shamelessly plug for the 4 way divider SunMountain 2.5.  It is completely utilitarian as far as bags go, but it is light.  So if you have a caddie at your next tournament, etc. they will thank you for it.  I know the last caddie I had was like, "Oh, you get it."

I have Mizuno irons today, and oddly enough I believe all my woods/hybrids are Callaway, nope I take that back, I think my driver is a Ping.  My wedges are Mizunos and that is a product of them being 1/3 off when they introduced another generation of wedges about 4 years ago, and my putter is a Cameron.  I only use the ProVX and my glove is Kirkland.  But I suspect this go around, still waiting for some grass so I can do an fitting I will move on from the Mizunos, but I am not sure.  Depends on whether they outperform the Mizunos. 

I am still skeptical a club with less loft can launch the ball higher.  And I get all the sales stuff about the weight below the ball, etc.. I just don't see how it's possible because I don't see my SS getting appreciably faster.

Now let's reflect on Aen as a player.  I can say there really is no way he is not a stick.  There was something about the demeanor that tells you the ball is going to be traveling in the general area he is intending it to.  Then factor in the photos and the guy was playing back when pleated pants were hot, he knows his way around a golf course.  I am surprised he hasn't piggy backed off his IT job to become a golf influencer like so many before him.  He has the look.

• Like 1