2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

NEW Monte Power Shift Video - Wow!

CasualLie

Question about the shaft drill in the basics section.

Is this drill an exaggerated movement to get that idea, or is that pretty much what it is supposed to feel like in a real swing?   It feels like that shift from the trail foot shaft to the front shaft feels like a lot.  It could very well be one of probably many problems.... which is why I'm curious?   

TM Sim 2 Max 9*

TM M1 3w

Ping Crossover 2 iron

Mizuno CLK 19* 

Callaway X-forged UT 21

Nike VR Pro Combo 5-9 iron

Vokey 46, 52, 58

Scotty Cameron x12

35 minutes ago, ericschlukebir said:

Question about the shaft drill in the basics section.

Is this drill an exaggerated movement to get that idea, or is that pretty much what it is supposed to feel like in a real swing?   It feels like that shift from the trail foot shaft to the front shaft feels like a lot.  It could very well be one of probably many problems.... which is why I'm curious?   

Unless the shafts are too far apart, and shouldn’t be that much of an exaggeration

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

10 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

A good drill has 2 tests is has to pass.

1.  Does it make the golfer move better?

2.  Does it feel so awful they wants to throw their club at you..

The "wait, wait, wait" drill with a wedge... 

pure agony lol. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max (Ventus Velocore TR Red 6x)

4W: Titleist Tsi2 16.5* (Hazardus Smoke RDX 70)

7W: Titleist 910 21* (UST Mamiya Attas 75)

Irons: Handmade Stix LB-1 4-PW (Dynamic Gold X100)

Wedges: 50*, 54* & 60* Vokey SM9 (Dynamic Gold S400)

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Austin 

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

On 2/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, GungHoGolf said:

Just bought and watched. This one is my favorite video collection from Monte so far, mostly because it’s what I need to work on the most - and when my sequencing, shifts, and ground forces work right, the other stuff just seems to fall into place.  

Haven’t seen the link to it posted yet, so here it is. Come on guys, it’s the price of a cheap golf hat. I watch as many instructional videos as anyone, including nearly all by GRF-centric instructors like Kwon and Zen Mechanics, but Monte has stuff in there I’ve never seen before, some real nuggets I’m excited to work on - particularly the backswing sequencing. 

@MonteScheinblum - regarding the shaft drill, it looks like you want the hips, shoulders, and head shifting the same 7-8” forward to match the shafts on the ground. I understand it’s just a drill, but how much forward movement of the head is ok in a real iron swing, and should any effort be made to shift hips forward while head stays back? Made a gif of Rory to show how much further his hips shift forward than his head:

E916989D-F0F5-422F-ADE6-DE113E2F6A6C.gif.5f2c2ed4269a41f7e0c6c07013563998.gif

Bonus pic as I lol’d at this line:

Have to be careful with videos like this though camera moves quite a bit during the swing. So he really doesn't move as much forward as it appears. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

On 2/23/2023 at 11:44 AM, swh0507 said:

Jeesh, you just gave out the power wiggle for free!

On 2/23/2023 at 11:27 AM, ucmike11 said:

Untitled video - Made with Clipchamp.gif

No one wants to see that. LOL

• Haha 2

Vokeys SM9 56,60

The hardest bit to get(for me) is finding what point you need to recentre so at the end of transition everything is in place.

I have been very close to some great scores but I definitely end up getting a bit out of whack by either not turning and raising the arms or turning my hips straight away and get too far forward with the transition.

The drills in the video look like a god send for me. I see the golf swing very much as takeaway transition release nowadays. If I can nail the point when the takeaway finishes I think I will be a ton more consistent.

I'll be rewatching the whole thing... i'm still processing the fact that I've spent my entire golf life trying to get to the left side at the start of the downswing, when I should have been getting over there  as a part of the end of the backswing.

How did I miss this? It's staring me in the face now when i look at that Mcilroy animated gif, and so many others now I know what to notice....

In golf, "I am a stupid" it seems...

🤯

@MonteScheinblum  Just another thought/check - would it be useful/ok to incorporate Cast A movements into the drills where possible?

I also enjoyed Monte coming out with "Brilliant" in one of the lessons.

I think the Power Shift video is the dog's bollocks.

• Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

13 hours ago, sethdavidsdad said:

No one wants to see that. LOL

Next Monte series will be "Golf secrets of the Karma Sutra" 😂

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I am amazed at how I have ingrained in my swing so many of the "backwards" flaws. As a lifetime "one piece takeaway" backswinger, I have fought the club going far too inside from P2. With age taking away a bit of my flexibility (at least what I thought was the issue) my shoulder turn would be complete, trail arm wouldnt be deep and club head would somewhat cross the line. Almost nowhere to go but steep on the downswing. My backwards thinking has lead me to believe that holding off any wrist set would keep the club from going inside. Just following the sequencing of club head moving first, leading in to a slight early wrist set, and holding off shoulders until after hands and arms do their thing, I am amazed at how much depth that creates, and "flexibility" has nothing to do with it

Another brilliant video, thank you

• Like 2

Watching the lesson video with “Ryan” was like looking into a mirror. I also suffer from shifting to my right (I am a left handed golfer ) as the first move in my downswing instead of my last move in my backswing which has added to the problem of hooking the golf ball. Great insight by monte in that lesson

Pair up Power Shift with the No Turn Cast paradigm Monte released a few years back and you’ve basically got all you need for a golf swing. Went through both last night. I had forgotten how much practical gold there is in No Cast Turn. 

The NTC series is great because Monte uses a clock to help outline the movements and it focuses on how to properly move the golf club — mainly what specifically is needed at the top to set up the rotation and have the club in position into impact. The “cast” he prescribes is not a super difficult move, it just feels strange if you haven’t been doing it. In a way it seems to build in a half-beat of patience, and you can really smash the ball without trying. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 2/24/2023 at 9:07 AM, Cmart050 said:

No overnight fixes, but a night and morning of doing the drills (and focusing on transferring through moving right hip towards target to effectuate the transfer). Worth the purchase, guys. 

image0.png

image1.png

image2.png

image3.png

Hips still square at impact looks like a slide but hands are in much better spot 

• Like 2

Been hitting a lot of push cuts with driver lately. Generally play a cut but my misses have started at target or right and cut. Watched the video yesterday and the wall drill part where right(trail) hip stays on the wall until the left hip reaches the wall is a great feel. Went to the course and played 27 when I did the feel the push cuts were gone.  

Vokeys SM9 56,60

On 2/26/2023 at 7:20 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Pair up Power Shift with the No Turn Cast paradigm Monte released a few years back and you’ve basically got all you need for a golf swing. Went through both last night. I had forgotten how much practical gold there is in No Cast Turn. 

The NTC series is great because Monte uses a clock to help outline the movements and it focuses on how to properly move the golf club — mainly what specifically is needed at the top to set up the rotation and have the club in position into impact. The “cast” he prescribes is not a super difficult move, it just feels strange if you haven’t been doing it. In a way it seems to build in a half-beat of patience, and you can really smash the ball without trying. 

So do you need to buy Power Shift? I bought NTC.

Edited by Rapidcat

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

So do you need to buy Power Shift?

IMHO if you're not happy with your shift, there are some excellent drills in Power Shift that go well beyond what is covered in the transition section of NTC. 

• Like 2

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

8 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

IMHO if you're not happy with your shift, there are some excellent drills in Power Shift that go well beyond what is covered in the transition section of NTC. 

Cheers - I'm happy with my shift, NTC was a decent buy.

@MonteScheinblum

Monte - saw on your IG that someone asked if some of these concepts are close to or related to Stack and Tilt, to which you said no.

I don't think anyone would argue with you there, but since that nugget has been put into my head and I'm an over thinker, can you elaborate at all on what you see the fundamental differences are so that my over analyzing brain can get rid of that thought?

Edited by GoTime