2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

NEW Monte Power Shift Video - Wow!

CasualLie

42 minutes ago, tt81621 said:

EXACTLY!!!!!  I am glad I am not the only one.  The arms are going to take some getting used to.  The back end though is much easier.   Hard to explain.  The past three years I have contorted my body in ways it is not supposed to bend.  Always had the rear come off the chair.  The shoulder across let me keep my rear end back on both backswing and going through with hardly any effort.  Repeatedly.  Been after it all day and if I turn the shoulders correctly I can't lift my rear end off the chair.   

Monte's videos make so much more sense now.  I am fearful that if I did unlock this secret what's next?  

Just saw this, might be another good drill to go along with the handshake feel.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CplRBNdsueL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZGriswold83 said:

Just saw this, might be another good drill to go along with the handshake feel.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CplRBNdsueL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Another good one.  Thanks!!   The powershift without the EE will be the goal for this year.   I am getting a bit older and losing distance.  I need the help.   I can't get over how simple the feeling is of a correct turn a better hip turn.   Can't describe feelings as everyone is different and I have chased so many feelings.  I will say it feels easy.   I am amazed.  

ZG is that an Aspen reference???

I am very thankful for this thread!!!!!

I have a number of Monte’s videos and I think this one is the best for me.  My biggest issue is a bad trail hip slide I’m the backswing which, as folks know, makes it difficult to get to your front side - resulting in a very inconsistent release.  I could hit the ball pretty well if I managed the needed compensations, but I knew I had to figure out a way to get to the front side earlier if I wanted to be more consistent and eliminate my really bid misses (mostly off the tee).  I tried working on the Kwon step drills but I don’t think I was doing them correctly and still had too much sway on my backswing.  Monte’s drills are really good and like with his other videos, he gives a bunch of them because we all feel stuff differently.

Having tried the drills and worked on getting to my front side earlier for a couple of weeks, I had a couple of observations that I thought I would share:

1. For ME, I believe that tempo is very important.  I’ve found that a quicker initial takeaway and then a very lazy feeling fall or shift to the front side works best for me.  I try not to rush to make my downswing - and as long as I feel like I’ve made a decent turn and my weight is on my lead toe - then I can be patient and let my body organize itself on the downswing.  Initially, I think I was rushing everything.

2.  For ME, what also helped was the feeling of flexing my lead knee and moving my closed torso toward the ball as I shifted. I think I had been standing up too much and this feel gets me in a better position for the downswing.

I’m excited to keep working on this.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ingster1 said:

I have a number of Monte’s videos and I think this one is the best for me.  My biggest issue is a bad trail hip slide I’m the backswing which, as folks know, makes it difficult to get to your front side - resulting in a very inconsistent release.  I could hit the ball pretty well if I managed the needed compensations, but I knew I had to figure out a way to get to the front side earlier if I wanted to be more consistent and eliminate my really bid misses (mostly off the tee).  I tried working on the Kwon step drills but I don’t think I was doing them correctly and still had too much sway on my backswing.  Monte’s drills are really good and like with his other videos, he gives a bunch of them because we all feel stuff differently.

Having tried the drills and worked on getting to my front side earlier for a couple of weeks, I had a couple of observations that I thought I would share:

1. For ME, I believe that tempo is very important.  I’ve found that a quicker initial takeaway and then a very lazy feeling fall or shift to the front side works best for me.  I try not to rush to make my downswing - and as long as I feel like I’ve made a decent turn and my weight is on my lead toe - then I can be patient and let my body organize itself on the downswing.  Initially, I think I was rushing everything.

2.  For ME, what also helped was the feeling of flexing my lead knee and moving my closed torso toward the ball as I shifted. I think I had been standing up too much and this feel gets me in a better position for the downswing.

I’m excited to keep working on this.  

I can relate to this 100%, and I think it speaks to the limitations of trying to learn this stuff without getting a look from a pro from time to time. 

I find the shift away from the ball to start the backswing incredibly easy to overdo. This suggests to me that I don't need to emphasize that part of it. Whatever I do naturally moving away from the ball is probably adequate because any conscious effort to do more always equals too much (for ME). 

I also agree with your statement about tempo. My normal overreaction when things aren't going well is to move faster which only makes it harder to sync everything up. It's a natural reaction to anxiety, basically, and it makes things worse instead of better. 

I'm trying to be a little more Zen in my approach to practicing and playing. I have to acknowledge that I'm feeling anxious and getting quick, because it's real. But then I have to accept that the answer is not getting more anxious and quicker. It's calming down and finding my tempo. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, me05501 said:

I find the shift away from the ball to start the backswing incredibly easy to overdo. This suggests to me that I don't need to emphasize that part of it. Whatever I do naturally moving away from the ball is probably adequate because any conscious effort to do more always equals too much (for ME). 

This resonates with me as well.  When I started doing the Kwon step drills I think I was making too big of lead side pressure trigger move and that along with a conscious trail side shift made me sway too much on my takeaway.  I was getting to my lead side most of the time but it took a big lateral shift that was usually late.  Now I just put a bit of pressure on my trail foot as I throw the club head back initially and let the momentum of the club head start my right hip and shoulder turn after the takeaway - like Monte talks about.  

Also, Zen is a good way to describe it.  Initially when I started doing the drills, it felt like a huge reverse pivot and that I was going to be super steep and stick the club in the ground.  So my body was like “abort mission.”  Now I’ve gotten more comfortable with the exaggerated feel/position right before the downswing and try not to panic.  It helps to see that it doesn’t look crazy on video and that I’m able to hit the ball fairly solidly without constantly adjusting my release.

• Like 1

Lots of "John's" out there!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

I’m still working on some of the drills and putting in some range work (not been on the course yet).  I feel good about getting recentered but have struggled a bit with the downswing.  Today I consciously added some of the Justin Rose drill (lead arm working down the chest with a slight hip bump) from the recentered position and started hitting it better.  Low point was more forward.  I had been really working on pressuring the lead foot and feeling the vertical force but I don’t think I was giving my arms enough time to drop.

10 minutes ago, edinahacker said:

Loved Power Shift and how it opened my up to getting to the left side as past of backswing.  Question for Monte: Do you reduce the shift to the left in the backswing when using the driver? Thanks!

If you actually include his username (like this @MonteScheinblum) in your post he gets a notification.

• Like 1

Been doing the drills the last few weeks ago had my best range session today. Mainly focused on the hold positions to hit balls and then tried to swing at 70%. I can really feel the shifts now. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Been working on efficient swing and NTC on and off for a year and making great improvements. I think the power shift may be my favorite so far. Love the stop start drill. I think the next step for me is going to either do online lessons with Monte or in person to figure out how to got rid of the EE and shift better. Distance is slowly improving but swing falls apart when I try to add speed right now which is fine. Will take another couple years before this feels normal on the course. Any tips or drill always welcome. 

On 4/5/2023 at 6:54 AM, olemiss5931 said:

Been working on efficient swing and NTC on and off for a year and making great improvements. I think the power shift may be my favorite so far. Love the stop start drill. I think the next step for me is going to either do online lessons with Monte or in person to figure out how to got rid of the EE and shift better. Distance is slowly improving but swing falls apart when I try to add speed right now which is fine. Will take another couple years before this feels normal on the course. Any tips or drill always welcome. 

Looking forward to hearing @MonteScheinblum’s prescription to improve this sequence:

D1C4F610-A0C5-4270-B5BD-E512CF2095A4.jpeg.8a498a2eba4e7bd3700401706e02d939.jpeg

81707CB7-3B68-4846-B0B8-19CDC0A11D5A.jpeg.4ba52d0450abe646e87458e84fa9ac26.jpeg

B408F7A6-E98F-4745-A706-E9882B4BCC91.jpeg.fd793b8e29d426f2455938af298f2cf6.jpeg

@GungHoGolfsent @MonteScheinblumthe swing and basically my transition was absolutely terrible. Hips fire and right arm is stuck 3 days behind leading to EE and chicken wing. Gave me 3 drills one of them including the Justin rose stay closed drill. 3 range sessions since the lesson and impact looks so much better already. Messed with “feels” for awhile and what’s getting me better is the feeling of starting transition with me left hip going way back with soft hands. Long way to go but it’s the first time I’ve felt I’m heading in the right direction in a year. 

92275094-3851-4D16-B1CB-E575D981CC97.png

0391A033-C66D-475C-8FCF-9385CDA389C2.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Meaning?

pretty clear if you watched the video he was responding to 

Edited by ChipStrokes
  • Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love the "shaft drill" and the "start - stop" drill.
I find it interesting that after doing these drills, I'm starting to anticipate falling to the left side so my body is preparing for it and moving my rear hip better. 

I'm such a slow learner some times, but I feel like I'm FINALLY understanding the proper shift in the golf swing at last!

On 2/19/2023 at 6:13 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

Sampled quite a bit today while watching golf, will settle in for a thorough watch later, but looks great and a couple segments I've watched in particular really clarified some ideas.  

Well done!!

Haha not even close to a cult. There's a thread in this part of the forum, won't mention names, but the initials are JB..  That's cult! 😂

• Haha 1

I started watching the video last week and has been said already it might be Montes best one yet. So full of great drills to practice feeling the move. I appreciate how many can be done without having to hit a ball so they can be done at home easily. Also a bunch of lessons to see the moves being implemented in different players with different feels. 

The video really seem to  fill in what Monte touches on in the NTC as the transition move.

I am curious to get @MonteScheinblums thoughts on something. In my extremely limited time of trying to incorporate these moves I found that if at address I set my trail leg with a slight “kick in” towards the target direction (the wedge under the outside of the trail foot feel that builds pressure to the inside of the foot) it seems to make The redirection of the turn (and pressure) back towards the target more automatic feeling. By the time my grip is over the right foot the braced right foot is sending my turn back behind me towards the target (sort of circular feeling).

Is getting pressure going the other way this early within acceptable parameters?

Is there anything bad about using that braced trail foot (pressure on the inside of foot) feel? 

I’ve had a pretty centered pivot but had trouble with the right hip coming out to the ball in the downswing bringing the heel of the club into play. Watching my swings now after seeing Power Shift I see how my pressure just stays over the trail foot until The downswing starts. Obviously a long way to go with incorporating the moves but with only very limited time working on it I’ve seen some positive results reducing the EE.

not perfect angles but you get the idea:

Before:
855E7AFF-0E46-4346-894E-B2EC3ECAF420.jpeg.237295e649cc7ca2ae7fdddee83324fb.jpeg

Adding some power shift movement:

1B228334-1F5F-46B7-8B29-5978690FBEBC.jpeg.dbf1499f54da1b61eccd9b83057d27dc.jpeg

Edited by pappaf2

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve just revisited this and BroomForce having played like a complete (insert expletive) for the last month or so. Too much work and too much stress with personal stuff stopped me practicing. 

Normally I’d go see my coach but decided wisely to use these instead. Honestly, it took less than 50 balls interspersed between lots of rubber tee swings and drills to get my ball striking back. I’d started going left hip, right hip without realising and I was more stuck than Patrick Reed in a normal size sweater. 

Key improvements I’ve seen from both of these series are that I can get away with softer flex shafts due to having MUCH better tempo and control. I’ve always been a PX rifle 6.5 player just to retain control. I took my set of Titleist ZB’s with KBS 90 regulars with me and could stripe them all day. 

What I would say is @MonteScheinblum explains better than anyone is the impetus or intent to create the desired movement. I would say the value of these two series alone is 100+ hours of coaching. 

Thank you Monte! I can actually enjoy playing again rather than grinding to get round respectably. 

• Like 1

Been about a month since I started working on power shift concepts and have been adding some NTC for a little longer than that. I haven’t played a round since I started so it’s lots of hitting into a net and filming. As I’ve incorporated the power shift stuff I’ve noticed my early extension is going away and my face contact has moved away from the heel and towards the center or even the toe!

I had a chance to jump onto a trackman and hit a few balls for the first time since starting power shift. My path has gone from  an average of 1* - 3* left with my old pivot move to an average of 2.5* - 6* right with the power shift moves (with some NTC cast A as well)

I did notice it also raised my attack angle as well. I was averaging like 0 - 3* down with the old move and I was more like 2* down - 0.5* up with the new movements. Not sure it that’s cause I’ve been hitting off mats and no grass or if that is something else I need to address?

Edited by pappaf2

The thing that I love about Monte’s videos is that even though there’s a ton of gold in there, you can make pretty big strides by implementing just one of the concepts introduced.

In power shift, it’s that I’ll naturally shift my pressure to the trail side simply by initiating a backswing, so a conscious sway isn’t needed. I can now get my pressure back into my lead side earlier and I’ve never hit the ball so well off the tee. My historical norm for tee shots is for them to be at a 10-15 handicap level and this year they are at scratch level, 4 strokes better than last year.

Power shift and NTC have been great, even though I’m only picking bits and pieces of each video to follow.

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Power shift is so good. I had been making good progress since Monte’s clinic last year, mainly working on my backswing. That helped a lot but was still have consistency with ball striking issues.

besides the backswing issue, i have also always had an issue getting left way too late. This was identified by monte in an in-person lesson. I finally started working on recentering again but focusing on the different drills. Heel toe heel really made sense to my brain. 

ball flight is so good. Not trying to hit these very far with a 9 iron during practice but baby draw is awesome coming from being over the top

IMG_1773.jpeg.157462eaf328ee6435ecc898274b650c.jpeg

IMG_1775.jpeg.980d45cfbba679448f9a205349b33f8e.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/2/2023 at 11:15 AM, pappaf2 said:

Been about a month since I started working on power shift concepts and have been adding some NTC for a little longer than that. I haven’t played a round since I started so it’s lots of hitting into a net and filming. As I’ve incorporated the power shift stuff I’ve noticed my early extension is going away and my face contact has moved away from the heel and towards the center or even the toe!

I had a chance to jump onto a trackman and hit a few balls for the first time since starting power shift. My path has gone from  an average of 1* - 3* left with my old pivot move to an average of 2.5* - 6* right with the power shift moves (with some NTC cast A as well)

I did notice it also raised my attack angle as well. I was averaging like 0 - 3* down with the old move and I was more like 2* down - 0.5* up with the new movements. Not sure it that’s cause I’ve been hitting off mats and no grass or if that is something else I need to address?

2 down to 0.5 up with which club?

19 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

2 down to 0.5 up with which club?

That was with a 7 iron. After I posted that quote I found out I had the ball position too far forward, particularly with irons. I’ve started to move my ball position back since then, but I haven’t been back on a monitor to see what my numbers are. I’d guess before I started to work on the power shift stuff I’d slide towards the target to get my pressure forward and get up to the ball. Now that I’m re-centering in the backswing I’m sliding less so my low point has moved back some I guess?

1 hour ago, pappaf2 said:

That was with a 7 iron. After I posted that quote I found out I had the ball position too far forward, particularly with irons. I’ve started to move my ball position back since then, but I haven’t been back on a monitor to see what my numbers are. I’d guess before I started to work on the power shift stuff I’d slide towards the target to get my pressure forward and get up to the ball. Now that I’m re-centering in the backswing I’m sliding less so my low point has moved back some I guess?

Recently i had a similar issue. I had a combination of issues, but was mostly around not getting enough pressure on the lead side on the toes.