2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What are the JDM GOATs?

NavyMU

12 hours ago, DMG_Golf said:

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the other shafts once you get them. I can't imagine there would be a huge difference in offset between those and the T200's (but can't locate specs easily). Well, not enough to produce a hook/overdraw. If it doesn't improve with the shafts I would definitely look into the lie angle.

I presume the lengths are the same? Swing weight? 

All my club lengths are the same, and I believe swing weight is between D2-D3 for all. I just got the new Miuras, and will post when I get the new OnOff (hopefully tomorrow) to compare same club different shaft- Nippon 120 vs. DG S200. Tomorrow is a range day. No rounds until Monday.

for what's it's worth the heavy draw for OnOff 2015 was consistent and workable today on the range. Sort of fun, but man the long power draw is huge. 165 yard 8i, with 30 yard high draw. I don't think that it's playable, but it's cool to hit.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NavyMU said:

Does anyone happen to have a spec sheet, loft and lie, for the OnOff Kuro 2015's?

I know they are stronger than most forged blades, but trying to get an indication of how much. Maybe 45 degree PW? But would like a full set spec. TYIA

Googled it for you @NavyMU!

(i don't speak/read Japanese either

Didn't find the specs via TSG here: https://blog.tourspecgolf.com/onoff-2015-kuro-forged-irons-review/ 

... so progressively filtered the google-search, eventually using the following search:
""OnOff" "Kuro" "2015" "オノフ" "番手" "31度"")

... then refined further using clues/Japanese phrases via GolfDigestJP and

then delved into the archives of OnOff brand's website!

https://clubonoff.globeride.co.jp/club/collections/#irons 

(perhaps japanese-proficient friends here can verify?

e.g. @No_Catchy_Nickname, @Christen_The_Sloop?) 

Google Auto-Translate = imperfect ... but hopefully this is Helpful?

image.png.365722c7a58555d4907d530aa2e25670.png

image.png.d82e83e623f7602ef047e9174f609bf6.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Didn't find the specs via TSG here: https://blog.tourspecgolf.com/onoff-2015-kuro-forged-irons-review/ 

... so progressively filtered the google-search, eventually using the following search:

Yep, that's it.

Made of S20C steel 'that's very soft; I think in the US it's called 1020C steel).

Tungsten alloy weights in the 3i~7i.

The table shows (from the top):

iron number

Loft

Lie

Face progression in millimetres (distance between the leading edge and the centre axis of the shaft)

Length (inches)

Weight according to shaft flex (grams)

Swing weight according to shaft flex

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Outstanding, and thank you! Definitely shows 2-3 degrees strong even in high irons. Makes sense that I would see almost a full club difference. Feel is still incredible, but like to track apples to apples on distance and dispersion. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 6:52 PM, Flashman said:

Can't have a JDM GOAT conversation without mentioning the Tourstage Z101s. 

My favorite irons ever in over 40 years of golf. Currently building a combo set of J15 MB 7-P and Z101 3-6 with MMT-125TX.

What about wedges, drivers, fairways, hybrids??

I gamed Zodia KM-Tour wedges until I couldn't find 'em any longer. To be honest, the Chikara's are even better.

I gamed a JBeam BM-435 Blackout for over 5 years and have not talked myself out of going back.

Bridgestone J33 Fairways are the best combination of performance and beauty ever placed into a golf club.

Sonartec Hybrids are still a top performer, especially the NP series.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

OK. Who brought up the MR23... I had to give them a run again.  I wouldn't deem these as GOAT but they damn sure are a great set.

MR23.jpeg

Edited by LionGolfer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

4 hours ago, LionGolfer said:

OK. Who brought up the MR23... I had to give them a run again.  I wouldn't deem these as GOAT but they damn sure are a great set.

MR23.jpeg

For their time period, they are definitely in GOAT conversation. 

My only criticism is they tend to dig a bit, but that's really my only knock. 

1 hour ago, MajorCavalry said:

My Miura CB 57 y grind. Now 8 years old, but still look like new. Approximately 400 rounds. The soil in the northeast does not seem to contribute to wear and I use a Groove it brush between shots. These are not going anywhere. 

76590C8B-465A-4ED6-9C44-CC99133C11F6.jpeg

I have the same club, CB1007 w/o YGrind. Have you hit both? Elaborate on difference?

my MC501s have the YGrind, but apples to oranges. 

9 hours ago, LionGolfer said:

MR23.jpeg

I was using TN87s previous to these and the sole on these was much more appropriate for my slightly steep move. To be honest, they aren't my favorite looking iron either, but they've really grown on me. They are just super solid. Love the feeling of a well struck shot with these and my misses, typically low on the face, don't lose any distance - just go a little lower. I'd say they have just the right amount of offset too.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I was using TN87s previous to these and the sole on these was much more appropriate for my slightly steep move. To be honest, they aren't my favorite looking iron either, but they've really grown on me. They are just super solid. Love the feeling of a well struck shot with these and my misses, typically low on the face, don't lose any distance - just go a little lower. I'd say they have just the right amount of offset too.

TN87 another GOAT conversation place holder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Yup.. as i recall, and my first set was a loooooooong while back, well struck shots, when I could manage it..., I think I used the term orgasmic!

I'm thinking of putting Shimada Nine9s in these.  They work great in my Grind Studios so hopefully they will work and feel just as good here,

Edited by LionGolfer

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel

Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

1 hour ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

TN87 another GOAT conversation place holder. 

Mizunos back in the day.... wow.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NavyMU said:

Outstanding, and thank you! Definitely shows 2-3 degrees strong even in high irons.

Here are the specs with S200 shafts. 1/4" shorter, and heavier.

image.png.9fa10b3393e0933e0c085de0e3f9926a.png

I went from VR Pro blades with DG S300 to the OnOffs with Fujikura Pro Iron in Tour Spec S flex, and didn't have any issues with going left. Ended up selling them after a year, because I just like playing blades a little more. Very solid clubs, though.

Edited by Ger21

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

So this thread has been great, but my impulse has been out of control. Now sitting on 3 sets of Kuro 2015, and a couple sets of Miura. Of no surprise, needing to take a couple days off from over swinging. Old guy back aches.

So far...the OnOffs are as advertised, they feel awesome! Miuras have a much more subdued sweetness. I love the flight on the 1007 and 501s, but have not uttered 'dear lord' aloud like with the OnOff on a special strike.  I bet I can consistently score better with the Miuras, but need more wow moments. Also trying to account for loft differences for overall evaluation. Maybe that's why I'm an average golfer...looking for the wow strike and not the consistent low score, lol.

Posting a couple extra sets of OnOff soon too BST, and TBD on the Miuras. I got lucky with the Miuras being in such good shape, and want to give them their do time.

Once the extra OnOffs are gone, I will grab a set of Epon 302 I'm eyeing, for phase 2 JDM GOAT trials

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NavyMU said:

Assuming these are the 1987 version, not the 2015 version? Found some brand new 2015 ones. These things look intimidating!

The TN87 had a 25 year anniversary limited edition run. I think they are the same thing. I had two sets of the originals. Both had a shaft that I didn't love / couldn't find consistency with... I remember hitting on of the nicest shots in my life with the 7 iron. Coming out of the rough from about 165-170 to the pin tucked over a bunker I hit it slightly left and it ended up landing on the green and stopping pin high like nothing. Only problem with the TN87 is that they are so easy to sell on here.

• Like 1

Regarding the OnOff's, I prefer the 2013 version. Looks better.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Yamaha irons in this thread. OP, try any of the tour and non-tour models from 2009 - 2013 when they were called Inpress X. All made in Japan. They changed to RMX from 2014 onwards.

Also, Tourstage irons from this era were good too - 701/703/705/707/709.

Talking of Tourstage, The US spec blade is a must to try. Sooooo soft when middled, but the head is sooooo small.

Enjoy.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

On 3/17/2023 at 7:17 AM, DMG_Golf said:

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the other shafts once you get them. I can't imagine there would be a huge difference in offset between those and the T200's (but can't locate specs easily). Well, not enough to produce a hook/overdraw. If it doesn't improve with the shafts I would definitely look into the lie angle.

I presume the lengths are the same? Swing weight? 

So the shaft made a big difference. I naught another set S200 and both had 'to the eye' same specs, and same results. Nippon straightened substantially, not sure why. S200 are on BST (along with MC501) to fund my Epon and Bridgestone adventure. 

still having fun

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: thought I would post an update for anyone following. I have had numerous Miura sets, MC501, CB1007/08. I hit the 501s well but a friend wrestled them away. All have been awesome. Only have the CB sets still, and the CB1008 are my gamers now. 07s might go up for sale, but I could just see keeping them forever. They taught me how to strike a ball again.

I have one set of OnOffs left (owned 3 total), with Nippon shafts, and despite my early excitement, the face just felt so live it was a bit disconcerting. Ball flight and shape were super fun, but couldn't dial in distances and consistency for my liking. Miuras won.

I ended up with some Mizuno MB20 MB along the way too, and I just don't love them. No particular reason, even though I know these were very popular amongst good strikers. 

I never ended up with J15s or a Epon 302s but I may still at some point. Miura has my full attention at the moment.  May throw another round of JDM sales up on BST coming up, with an eye toward adding some more Miura options. Maybe TCs or the new CB302s. Any thoughts on how newer Miuras compare to the 1008s?

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 6:18 PM, DMG_Golf said:

2015 OnOff Kuro's - you can get them elsewhere, but not easily. Some of the best irons ever made in my opinion (which is shared by others).

I have owned many sets and they are back in my bag again .  I have a back up set in exceptional condition 😛

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x