Jump to content
2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USGA and R&A announce proposal to limit golf ball performance for elite level competition


elwhippy

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Yeah I’m not sure the USGA or RA used all those arguments.  Some if not most of those have come from people speculating in this thread.  

 

They specify the below points in their distance insights report.  To me, those look like things they aim to correct or limit effectively.  They did not come close to doing anything of the sort.

 

image.png.8ccac1cf58a2ca3170fccd5b1bfb8280.png

  • Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, subrew said:

I'm looking forward to see which of the balls on the market now, fall in the "30% will pass the update test as-is."  Perhaps the OEMs will just slap a small "2028 Conforming" print on the ball packaging quietly, not wanting to admit they over-exaggerated in the spring when they cried foul. 

This!

 

theres a clip with drew cooper who swings around 130-135mph.  He lost 5 mph ball speed using a lower compression ball bs high compression (brxs vs bx). We already have ball optimized for high and low swing speeds, me thinks lots of the low swing speed balls will be unimpacted.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, subrew said:

I'm looking forward to see which of the balls on the market now, fall in the "30% will pass the update test as-is."  Perhaps the OEMs will just slap a small "2028 Conforming" print on the ball packaging quietly, not wanting to admit they over-exaggerated in the spring when they cried foul. 

It will be some of the cheap, low spinning marshmallows.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

This!

 

theres a clip with drew cooper who swings around 130-135mph.  He lost 5 mph ball speed using a lower compression ball bs high compression (brxs vs bx). We already have ball optimized for high and low swing speeds, me thinks lots of the low swing speed balls will be unimpacted.

 

Exactly.

 

You can find another TXG video if you search for their Duo Soft review.  They compare it to a ProV1 at both higher Matty swing speeds, then 93-94mph swing speeds.

 

The Duosoft lost something like 7mph of ball speed at Matt's speed, which was still under the 125mph value.  But the Duosoft was either the same length or longer (because of low spin) than the ProV1 at 94mph.  

 

A lot of us soft ball players aren't going to notice any difference.

  • Like 4

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, clevited said:

 

They specify the below points in their distance insights report.  To me, those look like things they aim to correct or limit effectively.  They did not come close to doing anything of the sort.

 

image.png.8ccac1cf58a2ca3170fccd5b1bfb8280.png

Agree to disagree that reducing the distance off the tee will address any of those

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, clevited said:

 

Can you explain that further?  Are you saying you think their solution announced today does or doesn't effectively address any of those "problems"?

I can, but I’m choosing not to.  You have your beliefs and I have mine.  
 

it’s not like debating things on the internet that we aren’t intimately informed on is going to change somebody’s mind once they have already established their position.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, jvincent said:

I'm waiting for that other golf site to fire up the robot and hit all the balls in the test matrix under the new conditions to see some actual data.

 

Given that it's a seven year time frame, I have lots of time to adapt.

The other guys have come to the conclusion that we will all be playing shorter, higher launching, lower spinning golf balls.

 

That is just not true.  When the USGA tests a certain ball, they will try to achieve a higher launch angle and less spin than in the former test.  But they can change angle of impact (up or down) and loft of the driver to try to obtain those launch conditions.  Which means that a higher spinning ball hit more on the upswing with less loft in the test, could be approved.  But it would still be higher spinning.  And a little shorter.

 

Let's all remember that the sky is not falling.  And the ball will be shorter by a little, which is the objective of the rule.  Stay tuned.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gvogel said:

The other guys have come to the conclusion that we will all be playing shorter, higher launching, lower spinning golf balls.

 

That is just not true.  When the USGA tests a certain ball, they will try to achieve a higher launch angle and less spin than in the former test.  But they can change angle of impact (up or down) and loft of the driver to try to obtain those launch conditions.  Which means that a higher spinning ball hit more on the upswing with less loft in the test, could be approved.  But it would still be higher spinning.  And a little shorter.

 

Let's all remember that the sky is not falling.  And the ball will be shorter by a little, which is the objective of the rule.  Stay tuned.

I’m more curious to see how this impacts irons.  The modern ball and players irons rewards very steep angles of attack with lots of shaft lean.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, clevited said:

Just for fun.  Mr. Snell on this issue.

 

image.png.f8247d7380f6a71ab0482d7ca3f82354.png

He had a talk on Youtube and said similar. What was interesting was that he says the new balls aren't faster than the old balls. Does he mean that he had some brand new balata balls made to 1990 spec and had modern players hit them with modern equipment? Where they using pre-1990 clubs or were they using modern high COR drivers with 45" graphite shafts. Was their a dispersion difference (did they measure that)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, maamold said:

He had a talk on Youtube and said similar. What was interesting was that he says the new balls aren't faster than the old balls. Does he mean that he had some brand new balata balls made to 1990 spec and had modern players hit them with modern equipment? Where they using pre-1990 clubs or were they using modern high COR drivers with 45" graphite shafts. Was their a dispersion difference (did they measure that)

 

I believe he is saying that the initial velocity test has remained unchanged.  I posted a picture a while back of a Titleist Tour Balata ball complete with its specs from Titleist.  It had shown the same initial velocity that we have long been held to, meaning, they built it to that same velocity limit.

 

They also note spin off driver and 8i both of which didn't specify loft.


Edit: Found it

image.png.29b7234b481dcdf3e03105abcf4851db.png

Edited by clevited
  • Like 3

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The increased distance should be celebrated (not rolled back.) It makes the game exciting, requires more precision.

 

Protecting the game? The R&A en USGA mention the evolution over the past 100 years, well nobody would be playing without that evolution. It's a different world today with many more exiting alternatives to the golf of the past.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, clevited said:

 

I believe he is saying that the initial velocity test has remained unchanged. 

 

They dropped the initial velocity test a while ago. It's not explicitly constrained anymore but in practice it will fall into a pretty narrow window give the other conditions which are explicitly constrained.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jvincent said:

 

They dropped the initial velocity test a while ago. It's not explicitly constrained anymore but in practice it will fall into a pretty narrow window give the other conditions which are explicitly constrained.

 

How long ago did they do that?  Maybe they did so to allow ball speed itself to be lowered as a means for manufacturers to comply to future changes, aka this current change?

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I can, but I’m choosing not to.  You have your beliefs and I have mine.  
 

it’s not like debating things on the internet that we aren’t intimately informed on is going to change somebody’s mind once they have already established their position.

Awesome.   I am at least going to cut and paste this for later.   I need some picture behind it, it could be the meme of the year.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, clevited said:

 

How long ago did they do that?  Maybe they did so to allow ball speed itself to be lowered as a means for manufacturers to comply to future changes, aka this current change?

 

I'm looking for it, and I can't find a date. Maybe they didn't drop it? It's definitely NOT part of the ODS test.


EDIT: I stand corrected. The Initial Velocity test still exists. But like I said it's not part of the ODS test procedure.

Edited by jvincent
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have thought after the USGA completely botched their attempt to control the game with putters, they would have learned a lesson.  I guess not.  These guys have their heads so far up the lower part of their anatomy that they don't have a clue.  My only hope is that by 2030, I am completely done with this game and these fools that write the rules. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Swisher said:

The pros play there every year. Dunhill. 

And the winning scores range from even par to 20 under. It is condition, lot length, dependent. The USGA has a history of bungling equipment changes and this will be no different and could really allow a new "ruling body" to enter the picture." When your own survey shows there is no issue, then you create a solution to "no issue" you have alienated 90% of your membership by telling them we asked but your opinion is of no value to us.

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this thread is about balls, but I did see an interview with morning with the USGA and RA.  Their third announcement is they are looking to make drivers less forgiving for elite players.  I’m paraphrasing, but basically make elite players hit the true center of the face to get max distance and have substantial drop offs for not hitting the center.  So far all the proposed solution have had too many negatives.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PoolPond said:

I would have thought after the USGA completely botched their attempt to control the game with putters, they would have learned a lesson.  I guess not.  These guys have their heads so far up the lower part of their anatomy that they don't have a clue.  My only hope is that by 2030, I am completely done with this game and these fools that write the rules. 

 

IMO, they have made 4 significant changes in the past 15 years : grooves, putters, handicap, and now balls.     The handicap was a good thing, specifically - faster change and that there is no longer an adjustment for different tees (it's built into the course handicap now)

The other 3 were bad, and more of a punishment of recreational golfers than the fraction of 1% they were saying they needed to address.   Especially belly putters - anyone who wanted to play them could choose to do that, and if it was a benefit, why were more pros not gaming them?   It was fair since it was allowed for everyone.    

I  suspect that when they say they will continue to look at this and may go to drivers next, then you're going to get a significant change - probably in COR, but maybe even reducing driver size.    Anything they can do to kill the game.   

I used to be a USGA member, but I just don't think they are working in the interest of 99% of the golfers - so not anymore.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mitchl said:

 

IMO, they have made 4 significant changes in the past 15 years : grooves, putters, handicap, and now balls.     The handicap was a good thing, specifically - faster change and that there is no longer an adjustment for different tees (it's built into the course handicap now)

The other 3 were bad, and more of a punishment of recreational golfers than the fraction of 1% they were saying they needed to address.   Especially belly putters - anyone who wanted to play them could choose to do that, and if it was a benefit, why were more pros not gaming them?   It was fair since it was allowed for everyone.    

I  suspect that when they say they will continue to look at this and may go to drivers next, then you're going to get a significant change - probably in COR, but maybe even reducing driver size.    Anything they can do to kill the game.   

I used to be a USGA member, but I just don't think they are working in the interest of 99% of the golfers - so not anymore.

 

Driver moi of 2000 max was floated around, I wish I could remember where.

 

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, mitchl said:

 

IMO, they have made 4 significant changes in the past 15 years : grooves, putters, handicap, and now balls.     The handicap was a good thing, specifically - faster change and that there is no longer an adjustment for different tees (it's built into the course handicap now)

The other 3 were bad, and more of a punishment of recreational golfers than the fraction of 1% they were saying they needed to address.   Especially belly putters - anyone who wanted to play them could choose to do that, and if it was a benefit, why were more pros not gaming them?   It was fair since it was allowed for everyone.    

I  suspect that when they say they will continue to look at this and may go to drivers next, then you're going to get a significant change - probably in COR, but maybe even reducing driver size.    Anything they can do to kill the game.   

I used to be a USGA member, but I just don't think they are working in the interest of 99% of the golfers - so not anymore.

They (USGA and R&A) confirmed they are looking at drivers for two angles:

 

increased/better testing on driver ct so they can determine when a driver exceeds the ct threshold after it’s been in play and loosened up.

 

The other, and this is tougher to articulate, is making drivers rewarding on center face contact and much less rewarding for off center strikes for elite players.  They acknowledge this is complex and they haven’t figured out how to do it without unwanted negative effects.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Place me in the camp of “ they didn’t do enough “.      Without a driver shrink , I wish they’d just left  it alone.  This turned into 3 ring circus with toothless tigers.  

  • Thanks 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bladehunter said:

Place me in the camp of “ they didn’t do enough “.      Without a driver shrink , I wish they’d just left  it alone.  This turned into 3 ring circus with toothless tigers.  

 

You got opposite of what you wanted.  You are affected close to the most, while the shorter guys are effected almost nil LOL.  They just crept closer to you.

  • Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reading that the current ball will probably, possibly be conforming when the roll back comes to fruition four- five years from now?

 

Why not just stop anymore advancements with the ball? Just freeze it as it is now.

 

Much like when the max COR for the driver was established.

 

Manufactures aren't going to lose money if this happens. People still have to buy golf balls.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2024 RBC Heritage - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 RBC Heritage - Monday #1
      2024 RBC Heritage - Monday #2
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Chandler Phillips - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Nick Dunlap - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Thomas Detry - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Austin Eckroat - WITB - 2024 RBC Heritage
       
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Wyndham Clark's Odyssey putter - 2024 RBC Heritage
      JT's new Cameron putter - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Justin Thomas testing new Titleist 2 wood - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Cameron putters - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Odyssey putter with triple track alignment aid - 2024 RBC Heritage
      Scotty Cameron The Blk Box putting alignment aid/training aid - 2024 RBC Heritage
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 7 replies
    • 2024 Masters - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Huge shoutout to our member Stinger2irons for taking and posting photos from Augusta
       
       
      Tuesday
       
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 1
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 2
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 3
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 4
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 5
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 6
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 7
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 8
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 9
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 10
       
       
       
      • 14 replies
    • Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
        • Haha
        • Like
      • 92 replies
    • 2024 Valero Texas Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Valero Texas Open - Monday #1
      2024 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Ben Taylor - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Paul Barjon - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Joe Sullivan - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Wilson Furr - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Ben Willman - SoTex PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Jimmy Stanger - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rickie Fowler - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Harrison Endycott - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Vince Whaley - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Kevin Chappell - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Christian Bezuidenhout - WITB (mini) - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Scott Gutschewski - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Michael S. Kim WITB – 2024 Valero Texas Open
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Ben Taylor with new Titleist TRS 2 wood - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Swag cover - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Greyson Sigg's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Davis Riley's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Josh Teater's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Hzrdus T1100 is back - - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Mark Hubbard testing ported Titleist irons – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Tyson Alexander testing new Titleist TRS 2 wood - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Hideki Matsuyama's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Cobra putters - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Joel Dahmen WITB – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Axis 1 broomstick putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy's Trackman numbers w/ driver on the range – 2024 Valero Texas Open
       
       
       
      • 4 replies
    • 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Discussion and links to Photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Monday #1
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Monday #2
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #1
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #2
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Thorbjorn Olesen - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Ben Silverman - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jesse Droemer - SoTX PGA Section POY - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      David Lipsky - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Martin Trainer - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Zac Blair - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jacob Bridgeman - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Trace Crowe - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB(very mini) - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Chesson Hadley - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Callum McNeill - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Rhein Gibson - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Patrick Fishburn - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Peter Malnati - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Raul Pereda - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Gary Woodland WITB (New driver, iron shafts) – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Padraig Harrington WITB – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Tom Hoge's custom Cameron - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Piretti putters - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Ping putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Kevin Dougherty's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Bettinardi putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Erik Barnes testing an all-black Axis1 putter – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Tony Finau's new driver shaft – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
       
       
       
       
       
      • 13 replies

×
×
  • Create New...