2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Exiting low and left? Is this a swing change anyone's made?

Pauly567

I've been struggling with my ballstriking for a while. I know there are a million things can cause this, but I've been starting to play around with releasing the club low and left. My current release is up the line and the hands come in high compared to where they started at address. I like the contact with low and left, but I just started experimenting with this and it's with half swings. Should I decide to go down this road, this would be by far the most radical swing change I've ever made, as I've been releasing up the line for 20 years. Are there any advantages to using this method? Seems for like every great player who swings like this (Hogan), I could find another who releases more up the line and with higher hands (Jack for example, and he wasn't to shabby). This swing also seems to keep me in my sidebend after impact longer. As someone who's had lower back issues, is this kind of release sustainable into my later years, or is this meant for younger players? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. 

Edited by Pauly567

Having a sequence designed with harnessing opposing force in mind routing low and left is valid and powerful.  It takes some work but is work but well worth it.  It's been called 'orbit pull' and if that is your cup of tea here's your guy with what you need to do- the land of hooking your way in and slicing your way out, FROM THE INSIDE. 

Edited by BALLYBUNION

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

2 hours ago, cav5 said:

IMO exiting low and left is a TERRIBLE swing thought

Thank you.  Wipe fade city or left of left if you don’t have some serious rotation and flexibility . And I’m flexible.  Lol. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, Pauly567 said:

I've been struggling with my ballstriking for a while. I know there are a million things can cause this, but I've been starting to play around with releasing the club low and left. My current release is up the line and the hands come in high compared to where they started at address. I like the contact with low and left, but I just started experimenting with this and it's with half swings. Should I decide to go down this road, this would be by far the most radical swing change I've ever made, as I've been releasing up the line for 20 years. Are there any advantages to using this method? Seems for like every great player who swings like this (Hogan), I could find another who releases more up the line and with higher hands (Jack for example, and he wasn't to shabby). This swing also seems to keep me in my sidebend after impact longer. As someone who's had lower back issues, is this kind of release sustainable into my later years, or is this meant for younger players? Any thoughts on this are appreciated. 

Well how low and how left?

I'm pretty sure every great player ever has the club head "left" after impact. It's just a question of how left and how low you mean. Of course you don't want to exaggerate it. But this should actually happen naturally:

taken from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPIzQESqcKo

These images are aligned. The club head is slightly left in the top photo because he already started his backswing.

But if you compare impact (2nd photo) to the 3rd photo, the club head clearly goes left.  It's like this for every Tour pro. This is natural when you're swinging on an arc. You would have to really try to make the club actually go "down the line" or to the right.

jack nicklaus .jpg

Edited by straightshot7

13 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

Well how low and how left?

I'm pretty sure every great player ever has the club head "left" after impact. It's just a question of how left and how low you mean. Of course you don't want to exaggerate it. But this should actually happen naturally:

taken from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPIzQESqcKo

These images are aligned. The club head is slightly left in the top photo because he already started his backswing.

But if you compare impact (2nd photo) to the 3rd photo, the club head clearly goes left.  It's like this for every Tour pro. This is natural when you're swinging on an arc. You would have to really try to make the club actually go "down the line" or to the right.

jack nicklaus .jpg

In my opinion jack isn’t low and left.  He’s not left until after impact and he’s quite high at the finish.  

the whole idea is about a feeling. Rose and Noren sold us this. They “ feel “ low and left.  But if most try to do what they rehearse it’s a real bad deal. 

it’s probably a good feel for someone who sucks it inside and swings to first base as a exaggerated teaching feel.  . But if you’re OTT or pretty neutral , I don’t see how the feel ends well. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The feeling is the handle exiting low and left, not the clubhead. 

I don't think it's a feel that matches up with a draw. It's been the key feel to how I transitioned from a draw to a fade. The feeling will shift the clubhead path to the inside if done correctly.

Great feeling for a fade. But, like with all aspects of the swing, it has to match up...

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

In my opinion jack isn’t low and left.  He’s not left until after impact and he’s quite high at the finish.  

the whole idea is about a feeling. Rose and Noren sold us this. They “ feel “ low and left.  But if most try to do what they rehearse it’s a real bad deal. 

it’s probably a good feel for someone who sucks it inside and swings to first base as a exaggerated teaching feel.  . But if you’re OTT or pretty neutral , I don’t see how the feel ends well. 

OP is asking about releasing the club head. Jack's club head is definitely left after impact. 

"Feel" is a different story. OP to me is asking about what it should actually be. What "Feels" you need to get there is a totally different story.

But every great player has the club "left" after impact. So again, the only question is how far left and how low. But is this something one should even be thinking about when swinging or practicing? In my opinion, no. It's just a by-product of a proper swing.

tiger swinging left.jpg

Edited by straightshot7

3 minutes ago, straightshot7 said:

OP is asking about release. Jack is definitely left after impact. 

"Feel" is a different story. OP to me is asking about what it should actually be. What "Feels" you need to get there is a totally different story.

But every great player has the club "left" after impact. So again, the only question is how far left and how low. But is this something one should even be thinking about when swinging or practicing? In my opinion, no. It's just a by-product of a proper swing.

tiger swinging left.jpg

To me low and left Is trying to hit your left toe.    I’ll bow out.  I don’t think hands. I think clubhead.  So I’m not going to be helpful or agreeable.  

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Low and left is death for me. For others, it might be the right move.

Everything in golf tends to be relative.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

To me low and left Is trying to hit your left toe.    I’ll bow out.  I don’t think hands. I think clubhead.  So I’m not going to be helpful or agreeable.  

Is the club head not left of where it was at impact?

That's all I am establishing.

But like I said "how low, and how left" is another story.

And your feels are another story.

But the clubhead is literally always left of impact, after it strikes the ball, for good players. 

If the club isn't moving left after impact there is a reason for that and you need to address that particular reason(s).  Are you getting into right tilt too much too early, are you shoving your hands forward and then rotating at the last second to save it, etc.  Just trying to move the club left is going to cause issues otherwise. Moving left is a result of what came before it and not something you can just do.

• Like 4

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

37 minutes ago, ferrispgm said:

If the club isn't moving left after impact there is a reason for that and you need to address that particular reason(s).  Are you getting into right tilt too much too early, are you shoving your hands forward and then rotating at the last second to save it, etc.  Just trying to move the club left is going to cause issues otherwise. Moving left is a result of what came before it and not something you can just do.

Bingo.

A low left exit is a byproduct of everything else before it, much like lag at impact. Neither are things you simply can add to a swing

• Like 3

1 hour ago, straightshot7 said:

Is the club head not left of where it was at impact?

That's all I am establishing.

But like I said "how low, and how left" is another story.

And your feels are another story.

But the clubhead is literally always left of impact, after it strikes the ball, for good players. 

I didn’t say it didn’t eventually get left.  I said it wasn’t low left. As in a divot pointed well left of the target.  

there’s no way to point  at jack thinking “low left “ when he finishes so high and down the line.  The fact that his clubhead exits left of neutral is a given.  I didn’t read anyone saying make it finish right of the target.  

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I know that all of this is relative to each individual's swing and where they are on their own personal "swing journey."

If you are a classic inside takeaway, OTT, massive slice kind of player - then yeah, low and left at impact might help you get a bit more in the field of play. But, it also might make your problem worse - lower, screaming slices.

For me, low and left at impact is going to result in a smother hook. To me, it says "stuck."

I, personally, need to be swinging more upright and down the line. That's me.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I’ve gone down some nasty rabbit holes trying to swing low and left. It’s on my Mt. Rushmore of awful swing advice. 

The thought/drill of swinging left is a band aid for someone who gets overactive with their body and the arm swing is a mile behind, it’s a feel to time it better but I don’t believe something you actually want to do. To truly swing it low and left you have to do some major shallowing moves at the top to not bury the club in the ground coming through. 

What you’re trying to do is just have your arms and body synced up better coming through impact. A lot of ways to do that without trying to turn and burn. 

Also, hard disagree with your point that a lot of the best players swing like that. 

image.jpeg.ce6d3388721c5d5ada8c5ccfcb2c1a53.jpeg

image.jpeg.0fc2884dd829c6f1e60c09fd4e6b3358.jpeg

image.jpeg.70e2f5f1a149a8c1433296e739f858bc.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cav5 said:

IMO exiting low and left is a TERRIBLE swing thought

Yes.  The ONLY time it’s helpful is as a half swing drill to get you out of right tilting early.

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Bingo.

A low left exit is a byproduct of everything else before it, much like lag at impact. Neither are things you simply can add to a swing

Correct

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started using this at the range. I am a long time high, short pull draw miss. 

I have seen very positive changes. My miss is a double cross, which stinks. but I am having great success on a lot of shots. 

I am trying to exit left "chase the front pocket" and hitting straight shots and no ballooning. 

This is coming from someone with major hip stall/ flip.

Been working on it for a week, and it is great. First time ever I am getting hips and chest turning like they should according to video.

but, like all "aha moments" it has to keep working. I will see.