Titleist 2023 irons

Wonderboy

2 hours ago, BCC1898 said:

Love the idea of the 150, but a 44* Wedge is hard to gap off of. 

The reason I got the T100S was the 44* wedge - it gaps perfectly with the 48* then 52,56,60 for me.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

1 hour ago, dwboston said:

The reason I got the T100S was the 44* wedge - it gaps perfectly with the 48* then 52,56,60 for me.

Amen brother. I grew up with the 44°, 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° gapping. It just fits my game better. I feel like I can score when I get closer to the green. The lofts matter more to me than number on the bottom of the club. 

• Like 3

Got my fitting in today. The T200 were the star for me, they were really fantastic, so improved in terms of feel, look, and sound from the last iteration. They went so nice and high (ball flight I like to see), and the dispersion was silly. The T150 were pretty dang close, giving up like 4-5 or so yards of carry with a similarly tight dispersion, so I went with a combo set like most people. 5-7 in the T200, 8-GW in the T150 in Steelfiber i80, regular flex this time. (whoops, read that wrong - the T150 are normal loft).

I tried out the 350 for the 5 iron but just did not hit it as well or as high as the T200.

The wait begins.

Edited by chocolate_rehab
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Callaway AI Smoke Max // Tour AD IZ 55

Ping G430 3H, 4H, 5H // Tour AD IZ 65

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM10 52.08, 56.10 // Steelfiber i90PR

Edel Columbia

52 minutes ago, chocolate_rehab said:

Got my fitting in today. The T200 were the star for me, they were really fantastic, so improved in terms of feel, look, and sound from the last iteration. They went so nice and high (ball flight I like to see), and the dispersion was silly. The T150 were pretty dang close, giving up like 4-5 or so yards of carry with a similarly tight dispersion, so I went with a combo set like most people. 5-7 in the T200, 8-GW in the T150 in Steelfiber i80, regular flex this time. The T150s are 1 degree strong.

I tried out the 350 for the 5 iron but just did not hit it as well or as high as the T200.

The wait begins.

150 bent strong gang, haven’t seen many of us haha

• Like 2

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.

23 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Keeping my T100S bending them 2 degree weak. Adding a T100 GW. Hit the T100S better and felt better to me no need to upgrade. Final fitting was current T100S KBS $taper 125 bent 2 weak and added new T100 GW it’s gonna be great! 

Be careful with weakening lofts. Check distance comparisons and ball speed differences between irons.

The T150’s aren’t loft jacking. They have weighting lower in the head so they hit higher than the T100’s from a dynamic launch perspective. The extra distance comes from an improvement in smash factor, not the loft jacking. 

• Like 2

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR
TSR2 15° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0
TSI2 18° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0 

T200 Utility 4 Project X HZRDUS Black 4G  

T150 5 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105

Vokey SM9 48 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Scott Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

11 hours ago, dwboston said:

I guess 5 wedges may suit some players who never play PGA Tour length courses but it just seems excessive to me, if I played 5 wedges then I would have no space for a 3 wood or driver and the long clubs are essential for scoring on courses longer than 6000 yards.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Anyone been fitted for the new T200? What did you make of the feel? And what do the short irons look like? Have they a wide sole and decent bounce? Cheers.

I got fitted for the t150 and tried the T200’s. I ended up with the 200 4 iron. They feel amazing. It was a tough call on the gappings. I almost picked up a 5 iron as well

Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

2 hours ago, ARSM1932 said:

I guess 5 wedges may suit some players who never play PGA Tour length courses but it just seems excessive to me, if I played 5 wedges then I would have no space for a 3 wood or driver and the long clubs are essential for scoring on courses longer than 6000 yards.

I don’t know if I agree with that. You can say 5 wedges but if it says 44° P on the bottom in traditional lofts it’s a 9i. What’s stamped on the bottom doesn’t matter if it creates the right gapping. At one point JDay played his lofts 2° strong which put his wedge at 45° over the 47° stock which is similar lofts to the 150s. At the end of the day when it comes to setting up the bag is just gapping regardless of the course yardage.

• Like 1

As long as you carry 14 legal clubs that fit your gaps and distance…..who cares what number / loft is stamped on it? 

I don’t see people complaining about playing a 7 deg driver vs. 11 deg driver. That’s jacking loft as well in order to hit it longer.  

Low lofted drivers are sexy. 

Are low lofted irons and wedges for hacks? 

I am keeping my Srixon zx7 MKii 7-P then 2023 T200 4-6 

Play what works for you and enjoy life!

Edited by jorellanes
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

QI10 Max 9*  Ventus TR 6X Blue

Qi10 Tour 18* Ventus TR 7X Red

Qi10 Tour 4H Ventus TR 8X Blue

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-P Modus 120 S

VOKEY SM9 48-54-58 

TYLORMADE SPIDER x  '24 TP5x

You didn’t get my point. I am not ignorant about new golf tech.  I was quoting what some folks think about new tech and low lofted clubs. I guess I didn’t expressed myself correctly. 

I am all about new golf club design. I understand how it works and I enjoy it. 

I am guilty of owning multiple modern lofted club sets and love them. 

Some folks will never agree with new golf tech and that is fine. 

Bottom line is play what make you happy. 

5 minutes ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

I’m going to reiterate this because people miss this time and time again. 

These (and most modern delofted clubs) are NOT loft jacked. The lofts may be lower but the dynamic loft is THE SAME as a traditionally lofted club. In the early days, the delofted clubs were simply the same irons delofted. The newer style of delofted club (from Titleist and other brands) have different weighting in the head so the irons actually have the same dynamic loft.

People keep saying the saying these hit longer because they are delofted and that is completely incorrect so comments like “Low lofted irons and wedges are for hacks” just shows a complete ignorance of modern iron technology.

This is an example of what I am talking about. It shows a comparison of the T100 and T150. One is delofted but the launch angles are almost identical. The extra distance comes from the smash factor, which is higher. The T150 is not a delofted T100.

I can tell you from experience, this is identical with the T300 and T350 as I have tried them and I can tell you I hit them way higher than traditionally lofted clubs.

IMG_3444.png

QI10 Max 9*  Ventus TR 6X Blue

Qi10 Tour 18* Ventus TR 7X Red

Qi10 Tour 4H Ventus TR 8X Blue

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-P Modus 120 S

VOKEY SM9 48-54-58 

TYLORMADE SPIDER x  '24 TP5x

11 hours ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

The extra distance comes from an improvement in smash factor, not the loft jacking. 

Very well said in your several posts above.

As you said, many think of loft jacking is just loft jacking, and don't give any "respect" to the tech to deliver added launch.

That's how SL irons are supposed to work.

Even though one does not have added club head speed from a longer shaft, the reason an SL 6i delivers more ball-speed than an SL 9i is because the smash factor is higher.   The 6i delivers a purer strike whereas a 9i is more of a glancing strike.  The better SL manufacturers tweak each successive head to provide more launch, or as best as they can.

On another note, when was the last time I actually gamed a traditional lofted club ?  That would be a set of MP-4 from well over a decade ago.  Had MP-5 next, then onto MP-18 MMC, and many since then.  My current 2nd weekend bag has a set of older Tour-Stage 705M CB's ( same as Bridgestone J40 ) and event those "oldies" have a "loft-jacked" 32* 7i.  I have no romantic notions of a 34* 7i anymore -> I look at what the clubs give me on the course in terms of launch, spin, descent angle, etc.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2024  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

11 hours ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

Be careful with weakening lofts. Check distance comparisons and ball speed differences between irons.

The T150’s aren’t loft jacking. They have weighting lower in the head so they hit higher than the T100’s from a dynamic launch perspective. The extra distance comes from an improvement in smash factor, not the loft jacking. 

I did compare the two my current T100S vs the T150. My current set felt better to me. Wanted them to play traditional lofts like the T100 without the big nut of another new set.

2 hours ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

These (and most modern delofted clubs) are NOT loft jacked. The lofts may be lower but the dynamic loft is THE SAME as a traditionally lofted club. In the early days, the delofted clubs were simply the same irons delofted. The newer style of delofted club (from Titleist and other brands) have different weighting in the head so the irons actually have the same dynamic loft.

People keep saying the saying these hit longer because they are delofted and that is completely incorrect so comments like “Low lofted irons and wedges are for hacks” just shows a complete ignorance of modern iron technology.

This is an example of what I am talking about. It shows a comparison of the T100 and T150. One is delofted but the launch angles are almost identical. The extra distance comes from the smash factor, which is higher. The T150 is not a delofted T100.

I can tell you from experience, this is identical with the T300 and T350 as I have tried them and I can tell you I hit them way higher than traditionally lofted clubs.

IMG_3444.png

This is correct.  Very simply we hit the stronger lofted irons (t100s, t150) with faster ball speed than we it’s traditional lofted counter part.  Gear effect of the lower cg on the stronger lofted club sends it higher.  Higher + faster and potentially lower spin mins farther.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

1 hour ago, Jmccas said:

I went to a Titleist fitting just wanting to hit the new stuff and compare against my Cobra King Tours which I’m happy with. Figured a T150/T200 combo might be the best option to beat out the Tours. I have a combo set of T100/T100S that I never really liked so I was not optimistic. 

Started off it with the T150s and they were nice. Definite improvement in feel and forgiveness from the prior generation. Noticeable improvement in ball speed over the Tours, more forgiveness and increased height which is a great for me. They were really solid but I wasn’t 100% sold as my contact was inconsistent.

Next up was the T200 which gave me a touch more ball speed and added forgiveness but they were too bouncy and would not work for me. I will say the T200 are great looking irons. I could do a full bag of T200 without issue. The feel has been drastically improved over the prior generation. I hit one thin and one heavy and didn’t really notice much distance loss. Hats off to Titleist for the improvements made to the T200. 

Fitter handed me one last club but asked me not to look at it. I assumed it was a T150 with a different shaft. Proceeded to stripe five in a row and saw it was the T100. Realized a slight increase in ball speed and another ten feet in height. Dang. Wasn’t expecting that but there was no arguing with the results. 

Compared to the prior generation the T100 feel and sound better. It’s not drastically different but marginal tweaks were made in the right areas and they all add up to a better iteration. I absolutely hated the T100 side of my prior gen combo set but I’m chalking that up to a bad shaft fit. 

Compared the top five strikes between the King Tours, T100, T150, and T200 and the T100 won in all metrics. A thin sole just works for me and my shallow swing.

I ended up ordering T100 5-PW.

Yup, that is me as well.  Anything under 30 degrees of loft wider sole doesn’t bother me, but anything over 30 i cannot hit wide soled clubs, it’s not that the results aren’t good, they are but they are due to club forgiveness versus solid strikes.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

That’s not exactly correct.  Distance comes from ball speed, ball speed comes from various variables and LOFT and SPIN are the key variables, but those types of clubs usually do have more forgiveness in terms of where and how much weight is put into a club so they do launch roughly in the same window as higher lofted clubs, but have more ball speed due to lower lofts and have less spin due to lower spin.  So yes distance does come from loft jacking.

If you take T150 and weaken it, it will go shorter distance, so based on your logic it wouldn’t.

Yes if you weaken them to T100 loft they would still probably have more speed than 100s, but not much as much as you think, especially on centered strikes.

Edited by goudok
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, goudok said:

That’s not exactly correct.  Distance comes from ball speed, ball speed comes from various variables and LOFT and SPIN are the key variables, but those types of clubs usually do have more forgiveness in terms of where and how much weight is put into a club so they do launch roughly in the same window as higher lofted clubs, but have more ball speed due to lower lofts and have less spin due to lower spin.  So yes distance does come from loft jacking.

If you take T150 and weaken it, it will go shorter distance, so based on your logic it wouldn’t.

Yes if you weaken them to T100 loft they would still probably have more speed than 100s, but not much as much as you think, especially on centered strikes.

This is generally why higher speed players play the the traditionally lofted version and adjust based their needs.  High speed and low cg don’t mix well for most.

4 hours ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

IMG_3444.png

The ball speed difference between the 100 and 150 is because of loft, which by definition is loft jacking. The carry distance between the two is a combination of more speed, (which adds distance and increases peak height), and a reduction of spin, (which also leads to more distance. Yes, because of internal weighting the launch angle can be similar between clubs due to vertical CG, but the distance comes almost exclusively from the stronger loft and lower spin. My 6 iron is lofted at 23* and it’s “standard” length is also longer, which makes it play like a 5 iron or traditional 4 iron. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

9 hours ago, ARSM1932 said:

5 “Wedges” makes perfectly sound sense here.  The stamp is but a number — loft, launch, and spin are king.  Do what works for your game and more importantly, your happyness! 🤘🏼

Edited by Jalalski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

The ball speed difference between the 100 and 150 is because of loft, which by definition is loft jacking. The carry distance between the two is a combination of more speed, (which adds distance and increases peak height), and a reduction of spin, (which also leads to more distance. Yes, because of internal weighting the launch angle can be similar between clubs due to vertical CG, but the distance comes almost exclusively from the stronger loft and lower spin. My 6 iron is lofted at 23* and it’s “standard” length is also longer, which makes it play like a 5 iron or traditional 4 iron. 

No it isn’t. If that was the case, the t350 wouldn’t hit 15+ yards further than the t150 because they have the same loft. It’s been explained by Titleist and in numerous articles. Note the launch angle in the graphic I showed. It’s higher on the T150 than the t100. Yes, spin helps increase distance but the idea is to get a landing angle that is higher enough to stop the ball so the loss of spin isn’t an issue. 
The reason Titleist don’t do this on all their clubs like the pro clubs is that the higher smash factor gives you inconstant distance. So while the CB and t100 have more consistent and predictable distance, a t350 will be more prone to hot spots and flyers. Pros want predictability in their distance.

btw, my 15 year old 7 iron has the same shaft length as my t150’s so not sure what you are saying. 

Here is an explanation of it from another manufacturer in an article on golf.com

We have over 40 grams of Tungsten low and deep in the head of these irons,” Neville said. “So, if you were to have what we call ‘tour spec’ type of lofts on the Big Bertha irons, say a 46-degree pitching wedge … these would go straight up in the air and you would lose a ton of distance. Because of how wide that sole is, because of all the Tungsten that’s in there, you’re almost required to strengthen the lofts to get it into the launch window. And that’s really more important to us than what the static loft is.”

To Neville’s point, many modern golf irons – especially those in the game-improvement category – are designed to help golfers launch the ball higher in the air versus older irons. Following that logic, if loft doesn’t change to counteract the increase in height, then the result is a ball flight that’s too high for most.

Edited by TheOverratedPhotog

Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

4 hours ago, goudok said:

If you take a club and deloft it, the launch angle will be lower, but thats not the same as a club designed to be delofted. The delofting isn’t to get extra distance, it’s the get it back to the traditional launch window. If you took the T100 and delofted it, it would travel further but the launch angle would be lower than a traditional T100 and the approach angle would be lower which is not the same as what the T150 does. The T150 would then have a higher launch and higher landing angle than a delofted T100. That’s the difference between loft jacking and modern club design.  

Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1