eBay seller help

3PuttPar2

Hello - not really sure if this is the right place for this/please take down if I'm breaking any rules here, just looking for some advice as eBay isn't helping. 

I shipped a putter out 3/22 to a buyer from eBay expected delivery date 3/25, the only tracking update is that USPS accepted the item on 3/22 with nothing since. The buyer has opened a case and my only options are to update the tracking number or issue a refund, I have messaged the seller asking what they would like me to do. Any tips on how to move forward? Appreciate any help 

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5° – Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6x -Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 15° – TM Matrix Ozik Xcon 4.8- Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord

Callaway UW 21° - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 - Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord

Srixon ZX7 4-PW – Project X LZ 6.0 125g - Golf Pride Z-Grip Align

TaylorMade MG3 52° – Project X LZ 6.0 125g - Golf Pride Z-Grip Align

TaylorMade MG3 56° – Project X LZ 6.0 125g - Golf Pride Z-Grip Align

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60° – Project X LZ 6.0 125g - Golf Pride Z-Grip Align

PXG Battle Ready II Bat Attack C - PXG M16 - Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Red

Titleist Pro V1x

From my understanding at this point it is not on you. You should not have to issue a refund because USPS potentially lost or has not moved the package. To be honest, 7 days is really not that long as well.... Things happen. I would try to contact the USPS you dropped it off at and see if they can provide info. If they cannot, contact eBay, there should be some type of seller protection for this.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

USPS system is the pits. Half of the time the item will get scanned at origin , float around for a week or more and then mysteriously show up at the delivery destination with no scans in between. If the tracking is attached in eBay and it shows you dropped it off, the buyer will need to understand things happen with carriers that can't be explained. Three and a half days late under these circumstances , I'd ask them to be patient to see what unfolds in the next day or so. 

At some point though , if it doesn't show up to the buyer , you'll be held responsible for a refund and hopefully the buyer will be honest and ship it back when it does get there. I'm guessing no insurance was purchased? 

I WILL NOT SHIP clubs with USPS ever again. I've had my own issues with those clowns and just rather pay more with insurance elsewhere to have to deal with them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First thing I'd do if I were you is contact USPS and figure out where your package is. Their tracking system is a joke, and I've had plenty of items go from "scanned in" to "delivered" with no updates in between.

Personally, I wouldn't issue a refund just yet. As others mentioned a week really isn't that long and for all you know it could be scheduled for delivery tomorrow. If you refund and it gets delivered you just have to hope they'll send you the money back, and I lost hope in other people a long time ago.

• Like 1

thanks for the quick feedback everyone! Going to head over to the post office I shipped from and see what they have to say, no surprise really but the USPS contact # is not helpful. eBay chat was also not helpful haha.

The buyer now is asking me to cancel the order and process a return because he needs to now buy another putter for an upcoming golf trip, that doesn't quite sit right with me. Seems to leave me in an tough spot relying on them to have a refund and then ship me the putter back?

• Like 1

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 15° – TM Matrix Ozik Xcon 4.8- Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord

Titleist Pro V1x

Nothing wrong has happened yet as everything you have done is correct. I’ve had this happen when using ground delivery as most times nothing is updated almost until it shows up at the receiving postal main office at your destination. I would call usps and have them track the package down to see where it is.

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

34 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

thanks for the quick feedback everyone! Going to head over to the post office I shipped from and see what they have to say, no surprise really but the USPS contact # is not helpful. eBay chat was also not helpful haha.

The buyer now is asking me to cancel the order and process a return because he needs to now buy another putter for an upcoming golf trip, that doesn't quite sit right with me. Seems to leave me in an tough spot relying on them to have a refund and then ship me the putter back?

Some human beings kill me. Want the cheapest possibility on the web and expect in hand the next day. Sh** happens sometimes. Don’t refund yet, not sure if there’s statute of a time frame anymore , but I’d just about wait until eBay pulled the money out to refund in this case. Other cases no, but this one yes that’s how I’d approach it. 
It’s happened to all of us at one point or another , but if you need something yesterday, go put your hands on it in a store and pay full price for it. 

Edited by golffeen007
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

Checking in with the post office is good advice per the folks above. As far as dealing with the seller, i'm pretty sure there are some time gates in place that prevent him from initiating that kind of cancelation at this point since in order to do so the item's location and who is in possession of it needs to somehow be verified. Should he try to escalate to eBay they will likely tell him to wait since it's already "in the system" so to speak and in transit as far as eBay is concerned. 

Worst case scenario if you need to get the guy out of your hair you can tell him he can return it once it has arrived and he'll have to buy another one in the meantime since his urgency is not your problem. 

Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX  // Titleist TSi3 9* Kuro Kage 70XTS
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X  // Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x
Taylormade M5 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 8TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M-AX 85TX 
Srixon ZX Utility MKII  20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X // PING iBlade 3i HZRDUS Red 105X
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

There's probably not much help you're going to get from eBay (or the buyer, it sounds like. Although I do understand where they're coming from.), but I believe there is an option online on the USPS site to open a case for them to look into where the package is. Don't recall what it was called but I do believe it had to have been like 7 days from when it was shipped. I did this with a sports card once or twice when they were either stalled or in the same state as yours is and it usually updated within a day or two.  It's a crappy situation to be in. I believe eBay makes the buyer wait 7 days before you're forced to do anything, at least, but that may have changed, also.  Good luck!

Edited by Pudgelewis

1 hour ago, Pudgelewis said:

There's probably not much help you're going to get from eBay (or the buyer, it sounds like. Although I do understand where they're coming from.), but I believe there is an option online on the USPS site to open a case for them to look into where the package is. Don't recall what it was called but I do believe it had to have been like 7 days from when it was shipped. I did this with a sports card once or twice when they were either stalled or in the same state as yours is and it usually updated within a day or two.  It's a crappy situation to be in. I believe eBay makes the buyer wait 7 days before you're forced to do anything, at least, but that may have changed, also.  Good luck!

It's the Find my Mail link below. It's worked for me before , even when the post office had no clue. It's worth a shot.  

https://www.usps.com/help/missing-mail.htm

I bet the item will get delivered. Ridiculous for the buyer to demand a refund based on a non-binding, estimated date of delivery. It’s the postal service, delivery dates are rarely accurate in my experience.

If you issue a refund and then the item shows up, getting the buyer to repay again or even acknowledge it was delivered could be a problem. I have had items take 2-3 weeks to emerge from the USPS system, but they always have. Only item I’ve ever had really “lost” was a set of Srixon irons that mysteriously disappeared in US Customs on their way in from Canada. Those were never found, I am sure because no one was really looking for them. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

i would let eBay handle it.  Let them make a decision. If they decide in the buyers favor there isn't anything you can do. But when the package arrives late after the refund to the buyer then you can get eBay involved again and get your money. USPS is terrible for their tracking and delivery of packages. All you can do is call your local post office. Sometimes it gets the package moving. Sorry for the buyer but wanting something you buy online by a certain time isn't guaranteed through most shipping methods. As long as you shipped it quickly crap happens.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

Hello - not really sure if this is the right place for this/please take down if I'm breaking any rules here, just looking for some advice as eBay isn't helping. 

I shipped a putter out 3/22 to a buyer from eBay expected delivery date 3/25, the only tracking update is that USPS accepted the item on 3/22 with nothing since. The buyer has opened a case and my only options are to update the tracking number or issue a refund, I have messaged the seller asking what they would like me to do. Any tips on how to move forward? Appreciate any help 

6 hours ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

Firstly, I don't see how you can "cancel & process a return". There's nothing for the buyer to return. I am quite sure you don't have to return any $$$ in a week's time. USPS is going to have to try to find it first - a(nother) week at least.

Couple of questions.

Did you send it USPS Priority ? What did your ad say you'd do ?

Did the buyer send you any correspondence telling you how quickly he needed it and/or offer to pay a bit extra for fastest possible/insured/next day/whatever ?

Go TO the post office you sent it from. In person is always better than the phone.

I assume eBay asked you for the tracking # - or was it on the item ? In any case eBay's not going to demand you issue a refund a week after you shipped it.

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

12 hours ago, nsxguy said:

Did you send it USPS Priority ? What did your ad say you'd do ?

Did the buyer send you any correspondence telling you how quickly he needed it and/or offer to pay a bit extra for fastest possible/insured/next day/whatever ?

Go TO the post office you sent it from. In person is always better than the phone.

I assume eBay asked you for the tracking # - or was it on the item ? In any case eBay's not going to demand you issue a refund a week after you shipped it.

I did ship it USPS priority, I didn't mention anything about shipping in my description. Just the standard "buyer pays $xx with USPS priority" eBay populates. 

The buyer never mentioned anything about when he needed it, the auction ended on a Tuesday at like 1pm, he paid around 8pm, I dropped the package off at USPS first thing Wednesday morning. 

Tracking number was provided on the label, I used the QR code option so the person at the post office put the label on the box in front of me.

I got slammed with work yesterday and couldn't go to the post office before they closed, really trying to make it today. Called the hotline and escalated a missing package but I'm not sure that really does anything. 

I really appreciate the questions and guidance, really helped cool me down haha. Not a super high value putter but just felt like I was put into a corner for something I have zero control over. 

Thanks again!!

Titleist Pro V1x

4 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

I did ship it USPS priority, I didn't mention anything about shipping in my description. Just the standard "buyer pays $xx with USPS priority" eBay populates. 

The buyer never mentioned anything about when he needed it, the auction ended on a Tuesday at like 1pm, he paid around 8pm, I dropped the package off at USPS first thing Wednesday morning. 

Tracking number was provided on the label, I used the QR code option so the person at the post office put the label on the box in front of me.

I got slammed with work yesterday and couldn't go to the post office before they closed, really trying to make it today. Called the hotline and escalated a missing package but I'm not sure that really does anything. 

I really appreciate the questions and guidance, really helped cool me down haha. Not a super high value putter but just felt like I was put into a corner for something I have zero control over. 

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the additional details.

Fwiw, USPS Priority includes $100 of insurance.

So if it wasn't an expensive item, it never shows up, and eBay holds you responsible, at least you'd recover $100. 👍

As for the buyer demanding a refund, do NOT do it until/unless eBay tells you to.

Edited by nsxguy
  • Thanks 1

Titleist Pro V1X

As mentioned above, don't do anything without ebay requiring it.

1. Don't use USPS unless it's a cheap item and shipping is cheaper than ups/fedex - usps has not been cheaper on 99% items I've shipped in the last year unless it was media mail/first class.

2. ALWAYS get a physical receipt of acceptance from USPS (and any carrier, but especially USPS). They know I wait in line every single time to get a receipt unless it's a $10 item that I can do through the kiosk which still gives a receipt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, t4t3r said:

As mentioned above, don't do anything without ebay requiring it.

1. Don't use USPS unless it's a cheap item and shipping is cheaper than ups/fedex - usps has not been cheaper on 99% items I've shipped in the last year unless it was media mail/first class.

2. ALWAYS get a physical receipt of acceptance from USPS (and any carrier, but especially USPS). They know I wait in line every single time to get a receipt unless it's a $10 item that I can do through the kiosk which still gives a receipt.

2) That's a good idea for the seller's protection, the buyer won't necessarily like the possible inconvenience or delay in receiving the item.

I sent a club last(?) Summer and the postal employee left in on the porch. Oops. Buyer never got it. Porch pirate ?

Anyway, eBay sided with me. Apparently, so long as USPS confirms the delivery, eBay considers the seller's responsibilities complete. I felt badly for the buyer but what could I do ? And my automatic USPS insurance doesn't cover something like that.

From then on, I always contact the buyer and make sure he/she is OK with the delivery being left at their door. If not, then I request a signature, and they get it when they can get it.

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1X

Under no circumstances do you issue a refund unless ebay forces you to.  You did your part.  These people who overplay their hand in life drive me nuts.  You shipped it as early as you possibly could since he didn't pay until 8:00PM and you sent it the next morning.  USPS shipping windows are not guaranteed (except next day--I guess they will issue a refund if something misses that window--from my understanding at least).    Not all USPS locations scan items.  I've had things get an "acceptance" scan at my post office and then show a delivery a few days later with nothing in between.  He had other options if he needed a putter for the weekend and didn't order until 3/22. 

In 2006ish I had  a clown  (the nicest thing I can call him ) in Sweden who filed a paypal dispute  (non-receipt) three days after I shipped an item to him.  He was in Sweden and it was over  a holiday weekend.  It was the first time I shipped anything internationally (it was  a football helmet and I told the guy ahead of time I was going to gut him on shipping.  I charged him an extra $80 for the hassle and told him I was doing so before he agreed to buy the item.)   Because the clerk at my local post office (now retired, thank goodness) never gave me a copy of the customs form I completed to show I shipped the item,  I had nothing to prove I shipped the helmet.  I went back to the post office  (after a call to Paypal) and thankfully, they still had a copy of the form.  The guy waited until the next-to-last day to end the dispute and for me to get my money (which paypal had on hold, in addition to me not having the helmet ).  It showed delivery 5 days before that.    Sorry...I didn't mean to derail your thread.   Just sit tight and offer the buyer nothing for the time being.

Edited by Anser3
  • Thanks 1

went to the post office right when they opened today, talked to a really nice lady. She told me they do not scan anything at the local post office, the scan I am seeing is from the "hub" that is like 20 miles away. She opened a missing package claim for me, I already had one open but we will see. 

All of my eBay sales (10 total haha) are "no returns accepted", already anticipating this buyer trying to return this. Like everyone said above, he never mentioned needing it by a specific date, I did my part, and he had MANY other options if he really needed it. 

Again thank you for all the help everyone!! Have a great Friday 

Titleist Pro V1x

50 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

went to the post office right when they opened today, talked to a really nice lady. She told me they do not scan anything at the local post office, the scan I am seeing is from the "hub" that is like 20 miles away. She opened a missing package claim for me, I already had one open but we will see. 

All of my eBay sales (10 total haha) are "no returns accepted", already anticipating this buyer trying to return this. Like everyone said above, he never mentioned needing it by a specific date, I did my part, and he had MANY other options if he really needed it. 

If you take it to the counter at the PO they should 100% scan it for you and give you a receipt.  Sometimes they will not give you a receipt unless you ask but I've never, in 20 years of shipping, had them not scan my package if it had a prepaid label. I've had post offices near me try to pull the no-receipt thing. You can file a complaint with the postmaster general and they should be able address it.  Worst case you may need to start using a different post office.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, t4t3r said:

you take it to the counter at the PO they should 100% scan it for you and give you a receipt.  Sometimes they will not give you a receipt unless you ask but I've never, in 20 years of shipping, had them not scan my package if it had a prepaid label.

my bad for the confusion, I did have them scan it there. The scan she was talking about/the last one me and the buyer can see is from the next "hub" location the putter was sent to, that is why she was saying there really isn't anything they can do at the local office. The interesting thing is I shipped another putter at the same time that day and that one made it to the buyer no problem. 

Titleist Pro V1x

5 hours ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

I always have "no returns accepted" in my listings too. I doesn't mean anything as far as Ebay, PP is concerned. If someone wants to return something you will find out they can. There are many ways for a buyer to get their money back. My friend sold a putter to someone on Ebay and the buyer sent him a message that he didn't like it any better than the putter he already had and he wanted his money back. My friend replies "no returns accepted" so the buyer snaps the shaft in half and claims it was broke in the mail. Ebay gave the person his money back even after my friend showed Ebay the original emails. The person even had the nerve to send my friend another email after he got his money back and said you should have given me my money back. Now you have a broken putter shaft and I have my money back.

2 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I always have "no returns accepted" in my listings too. I doesn't mean anything as far as Ebay, PP is concerned. If someone wants to return something you will find out they can. There are many ways for a buyer to get their money back. My friend sold a putter to someone on Ebay and the buyer sent him a message that he didn't like it any better than the putter he already had and he wanted his money back. My friend replies "no returns accepted" so the buyer snaps the shaft in half and claims it was broke in the mail. Ebay gave the person his money back even after my friend showed Ebay the original emails. The person even had the nerve to send my friend another email after he got his money back and said you should have given me my money back. Now you have a broken putter shaft and I have my money back.

I hope they reported the buyer to ebay.  Ebay has turned into a  cesspool.  They are afraid to side against buyers, so abuse is rampant.  Taking away the ability to leave negative feedback against buyers was teh beginning of these shenanigans.  That on top of their ridiculous selling fees have made it undesirable.   I recently sold a mint condition (not a phrase I use loosely or lightly at all)  Epic Max LS driver on there.  It spend weeks on the BST  with nothing more than a nibble and tire kickers  (and some folks who wanted it practically given to them).   It eventually went to ebay and sold for about what I wanted...until they took out their fees.  They even charge a fee on the sales tax they collect even though the seller sees none of that money.  After I sell some Miami Dolphins uniforms (team issued) and some other team issued stuff on there  as well as some shafts that I doubt sell on here  and some Footjoys, I'm done on ebay as far as selling.  I just need to get rid of some stuff that doesn't have much of  a market anywhere else.  

19 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

I hope they reported the buyer to ebay.  Ebay has turned into a  cesspool.  They are afraid to side against buyers, so abuse is rampant.  Taking away the ability to leave negative feedback against buyers was teh beginning of these shenanigans.  That on top of their ridiculous selling fees have made it undesirable.   I recently sold a mint condition (not a phrase I use loosely or lightly at all)  Epic Max LS driver on there.  It spend weeks on the BST  with nothing more than a nibble and tire kickers  (and some folks who wanted it practically given to them).   It eventually went to ebay and sold for about what I wanted...until they took out their fees.  They even charge a fee on the sales tax they collect even though the seller sees none of that money.  After I sell some Miami Dolphins uniforms (team issued) and some other team issued stuff on there  as well as some shafts that I doubt sell on here  and some Footjoys, I'm done on ebay as far as selling.  I just need to get rid of some stuff that doesn't have much of  a market anywhere else.  

I haven't sold on Ebay for many years. I sold a new driver still in the plastic to a guy. He used it in a scramble and then wanted to return it because he didn't feel it was any better than his old driver and "he didn't win the long drive". LMAO...He claimed it wasn't as described. I said how can a new driver still in shrink wrap not be as described. I also said it was now a used club. Ebay sided with him. I got the club back with a big ole skymark on it. I resold it on Ebay for a loss. I still buy on Ebay but I don't sell on there.

9 minutes ago, Greenie said:

I haven't sold on Ebay for many years. I sold a new driver still in the plastic to a guy. He used it in a scramble and then wanted to return it because he didn't feel it was any better than his old driver and "he didn't win the long drive". LMAO...He claimed it wasn't as described. I said how can a new driver still in shrink wrap not be as described. I also said it was now a used club. Ebay sided with him. I got the club back with a big ole skymark on it. I resold it on Ebay for a loss. I still buy on Ebay but I don't sell on there.

Negative feedback for buyers  was an equalizer.  Now, you can leave negative comments but have to mark the feedback as positive.  Some people don't read feedback so they will never know which buyers are reasonable and which aren't.  People who pull those kinds of shenanigans (that your buyer pulled) are disgusting. 

Some sellers are bad too.  I cringe every time I sell an item on there.  I had one guy sell me a jersey that was clearly counterfeit (photo was different than description).  I initiated a return.  He wanted me to pay for return shipping so I escalated to ebay  (i got worked out).    His reply was that it was "still a nice jersey".    I explained I bought actual team-issued stuff for less than he sold his fake, cheaply made counterfeit stuff and I only bought his because I needed the jersey numbers to sew on my own real jersey (for myself...not for resale).   

Thankfully the guy who bought my Callaway left positive feedback...that seems to diminish the likelihood of ebay ever siding with the buyer on a future return.   You could consider buying from that same buyer (who you first sold the driver to) and doing the same thing.  But that would be wrong.