2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

On 10/18/2023 at 12:28 PM, manima1 said:

I just ordered the V-grind.

Used to be an M-grind player and loved the versatility, it was so easy to open up but simply wasn’t forgiving enough for the wet/soggy Midwest – needed more bounce.  Also was tricky out of soft sand bunkers.

Of late, have the D-grind in play and it has been wonderful.  Automatic out of bunkers and much more forgiving in the soft conditions I play.  It is fairly versatile with the crescent sole – however – if the ball is sitting down at all in the rough greenside, I have a difficult time opening up for a rescue flop shot.  70% it is ok, but when you need to get the leading edge really low it can limit you there.  It’s a small % of shots, but I feel like the whole point of carrying a 60 is to pull off the miracle short sided flops from time to time.

That takes me to the V-grind.  I’m hopeful it is a nice blend of the M-grind and D-grind due to what I describe above.  Am I way off here and did I just waste $300 on a wedge or do you think I’m on the right track?

No, I think you're on the right track here.  That's why I've got a 56 D grind and a 60 V grind, I play more square faced shots with the D and longer bunker shots with a slightly open face.  V is used almost exclusively around the greens unless its a squared faced pitch shot.  Having both feels like you've got all your bases covered IMO. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

1 hour ago, hanbergb said:

No, I think you're on the right track here.  That's why I've got a 56 D grind and a 60 V grind, I play more square faced shots with the D and longer bunker shots with a slightly open face.  V is used almost exclusively around the greens unless its a squared faced pitch shot.  Having both feels like you've got all your bases covered IMO. 

Thanks for the response - exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I do love the D-grind, so maybe in the next iteration I will go that route with my 54 degree.  Just got a fresh 54.10S though so will be a season or two.  

My currently 60.12D is my workhorse out of the bunker, so I'm hopeful the V-grind will excel there as well.  

How do you feel it works for you from soft bunkers?  Similar to D in terms of protection or do you need to be a bit more precise?  

On 10/18/2023 at 12:28 PM, manima1 said:

That takes me to the V-grind.  I’m hopeful it is a nice blend of the M-grind and D-grind due to what I describe above.  Am I way off here and did I just waste $300 on a wedge or do you think I’m on the right track?

I actually think the V grind can get that leading edge lower than the M grind cause more of that trailing back end being grinded off

While square shots it has a bit more camber than the M grind on the leading edge giving you that bounce for those shots. 

Still think you lose a bit of forgiveness compared to the D if you use shots where you use the bounce. But you will like it and adjust to it and prob wont go back.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, manima1 said:

Thanks for the response - exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I do love the D-grind, so maybe in the next iteration I will go that route with my 54 degree.  Just got a fresh 54.10S though so will be a season or two.  

My currently 60.12D is my workhorse out of the bunker, so I'm hopeful the V-grind will excel there as well.  

How do you feel it works for you from soft bunkers?  Similar to D in terms of protection or do you need to be a bit more precise?  

I still like the V from soft bunkers, just depends on the type of shot you need to hit.  With mine being a 60 I play it whenever I need to get the ball up quick and land soft, D is obviously more forgiving which is why I like having both options. 

• Like 1

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

5 hours ago, Glock917 said:

I actually think the V grind can get that leading edge lower than the M grind cause more of that trailing back end being grinded off

While square shots it has a bit more camber than the M grind on the leading edge giving you that bounce for those shots. 

Still think you lose a bit of forgiveness compared to the D if you use shots where you use the bounce. But you will like it and adjust to it and prob wont go back.

I agree with this above. The leading edge is definitely closer to the ground when opened up than with the M grind opened. 

Titleist TSR2 - 8* Ventus Red TR 6X
Titleist TSi2 - 15* - Ventus Red TR 7X
Titleist TSR3 19* Hybrid
Titleist U500 - 4 iron DG TI X-100
Titleist T100 5-9 DG TI X-100
Titleist Vokey SM10 (46*, 52*, 56*, 60*) raw 
Odyssey Triple T 

Mizuno T24 now offer a “V” grind, wonder if it’s similar. Look amazing in the denim copper finish and way less expensive 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

On 10/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, halfsumo said:

Mizuno T24 now offer a “V” grind, wonder if it’s similar. Look amazing in the denim copper finish and way less expensive 

They are pretty much exactly the same. Mizuno more than any use the same lettering as vokeys except the X being the L and C being the M.

Only caveat is mizuno wedges have a significantly smaller profile than vokeys so that is going to be the biggest hurdle in changing but besides that both good wedges.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 4rheel said:

Dang Puppetmaster, saw the T24 and ran down to try one out. Definitely firmer  feel than the Titleist V-grind but it does spin a ton. I still prefer the heavier “thud” feeling of the Titleist versus the more hollow T24. I don’t know if it’s because of the denim copper finish I chose or the S400 shaft but I think I’m just used to their wedges.

In WRX fashion, I got a MG4 LBV that I will try out this weekend. Initial range session is promising.

IMG_8532.jpeg

IMG_8529.jpeg

I’ll be curious to hear your opinion on the LBV vs the V grind vokey. I just ordered a V and almost went back to the mg4 so I’ll be looking out for your opinion.

6 hours ago, BubbaBallesteros said:

The LBV is more in line with the Vokey T Grind not the V.

I can see that side of it I would say its in between the V and T grind. 

The LBV has a bit more camber on the leading sole and the trailing sole. So when I opened up the LBV all the way the leading edge does creep up higher than the T grind. But its not a bad thing it can be a happy medium for those that dont need something on the extreme end like the T grind 

I have the older version of the v grind in my bag. It is getting worn but I got one of those  groove sharpeners to try and keep it in the bag. Love it so don’t want to shell out like $400 (Canadian) for a new one! 

the new mg4 looks real good to though! 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

I have the older version of the v grind in my bag. It is getting worn but I got one of those  groove sharpeners to try and keep it in the bag. Love it so don’t want to shell out like $400 (Canadian) for a new one! 

the new mg4 looks real good to though! 

Who's quoting you $400CDN for Wedgeworks wedges in Canada? I got mine from King of Clubs in PEI for $279.99+tax

16 minutes ago, BubbaBallesteros said:

Who's quoting you $400CDN for Wedgeworks wedges in Canada? I got mine from King of Clubs in PEI for $279.99+tax

Didn’t know I could get it there. I was going off the wedgeworks site with conversion, shipping and customs 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

My V grind came in this weekend (60.10V) and it looks fantastic, can’t wait to get out on the course.

Initial impressions – this thing is damn similar to my D grind (60.12D) in terms of grind shape.  It’s almost like the V grind is just a slightly less bounce version of a D grind with slightly more heel/toe relief.  But honestly – the difference isn’t massive.

The D grind has been fantastic for me, only gripe has been it is tough to lay wide open and use effectively if the ball is sitting down at all in the rough.  I’m hopefully the V grind sits just ever so slightly lower on those shots to make it a bit more versatile.  We shall see this weekend

I got my V grind last week.  I played Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  I'm a 5 or so, but my iron/wedge game has always been inconsistent at best.  In my 58 degree wedge, I've tried D grind, Low bounce K, T grind....and now the V grind.

It has been 5 years since I've hit wedges this crisply and accurately from 100 yards and in.  Admittedly, I was hitting my irons better than normal last weekend, but I found the turf interaction on all shots to be significantly better than all of my other wedges.

I actually look forward to seeing if this wedge is still markedly better for me

1. when my ball striking inevitably returns to mediocrity tomorrow
  2. when the course conditions change over the fall/winter/spring

Time will tell, but, my first experience with this one was incredible.   I sure wish I had picked one up this past May in tour chrome.  Raw finish isn't my favorite.

On 10/30/2023 at 10:01 AM, manima1 said:

The D grind has been fantastic for me, only gripe has been it is tough to lay wide open and use effectively if the ball is sitting down at all in the rough.  I’m hopefully the V grind sits just ever so slightly lower on those shots to make it a bit more versatile. 

That is exactly what the V should do.  Superficially, the V, D, M and L grinds all look similar (obvious heel and toe relief).  But the V and T have narrower forward bounce surfaces, which means the leading edge doesn't come up as much when layed open.    The V is basically a higher bounce T grind.  The D is a higher bounce M grind.  The L is the low bounce M grind.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

3 hours ago, DaveGoodrich said:

That is exactly what the V should do.  Superficially, the V, D, M and L grinds all look similar (obvious heel and toe relief).  But the V and T have narrower forward bounce surfaces, which means the leading edge doesn't come up as much when layed open.    The V is basically a higher bounce T grind.  The D is a higher bounce M grind.  The L is the low bounce M grind.  

I see in your sig you weaken your T grind. What was the reasoning as I play that too? More bounce? is the leading edge higher when opened now?

If you just wanted to get rid of more offset is warranted too. I would of just for that haha.

4 hours ago, Glock917 said:

I see in your sig you weaken your T grind. What was the reasoning as I play that too? More bounce? is the leading edge higher when opened now?

If you just wanted to get rid of more offset is warranted too. I would of just for that haha.

I love my 58D, so I bent the T to 62, mostly just to separate it from the 58.   But yes, it does provide a little more bounce, so is a little more forgiving.  But it still plays as a low bounce wedge, and stays pretty low when laid open. 

This time of year, with the courses around here being pretty lush and soft, I find I'm hardly ever pulling the T out of the bag. The 58D covers it all when it's not really firm. 

• Like 1
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

13 hours ago, rustown said:

I got my V grind last week.  I played Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  I'm a 5 or so, but my iron/wedge game has always been inconsistent at best.  In my 58 degree wedge, I've tried D grind, Low bounce K, T grind....and now the V grind.

It has been 5 years since I've hit wedges this crisply and accurately from 100 yards and in.  Admittedly, I was hitting my irons better than normal last weekend, but I found the turf interaction on all shots to be significantly better than all of my other wedges.

I actually look forward to seeing if this wedge is still markedly better for me

1. when my ball striking inevitably returns to mediocrity tomorrow
  2. when the course conditions change over the fall/winter/spring

Time will tell, but, my first experience with this one was incredible.   I sure wish I had picked one up this past May in tour chrome.  Raw finish isn't my favorite.

How would you compare the 

D grind

low bounce k

v grind

I love the V grind if I know the course is soft and the bunkers are fluffy. I wish I had it when I lived in western Washington. I prefer the T grind in typical Arizona conditions. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125X
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to trying a nearly new 2016 WedgeWorks 60V that I just picked up from ebay for a good price.  I'm looking to replace my 60T to add a little more bounce for the winter season, and will play it along with a 56D.      

• Like 1
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

• 1 month later...

so someone just threw a wrench into my wedge plans. I was pretty sure on a T-grind until i was introduced to a V-grind earlier. Im essentially buying a $225 club blind. I need some convincing, and more importantly some experienced V-grind users tell me their own perspective in real play.

I currently bag a 58M. My ball loves rolling into shallow divots when im around the green, or sitting on a tight enough lie to make me uncomfortable. I want something that sits lower than an M-grind when i open the face.. Im not the most savvy wedge player, but i do have a pretty reliable chipping routine. Its important that a new grind does not require me to change my chipping technique.

I play in normal conditions most times with the occasional drought over the summer but normal conditions mostly. My other wedge is a 54*S-grind. That is not changing. I need another wedge to compliment the 54. My 60 is also my bunker club. Is the V a good bunker club ?? Once again, i play in normal conditions. Bunkers i run into are usually pretty good to decent to meh, rarely ever pristine/fluffy unless im at a nice place.

Im wondering if the V-grind is better suited for me ? Id like to think i can handle a T-grind, but if i can essentially play a V-grind just like a T-grind with considerably more forgiveness then im not sure why i wouldn't just play a V. See my conundrum here lol ?

Edited by bunta
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

4 minutes ago, bunta said:

so someone just threw a wrench into my wedge plans. I was pretty sure on a T-grind until i was introduced to a V-grind earlier. Im essentially buying a $225 club blind. I need some convincing, and more importantly some experienced V-grind users tell me their own perspective in real play.

I currently bag a 58M. My ball loves rolling into shallow divots when im around the green, or sitting on a tight enough lie to make me uncomfortable. I want something that sits lower than an M-grind when i open the face.. Im not the most savvy wedge player, but i do have a pretty reliable chipping routine. Its important that a new grind does not require me to change my chipping technique.

I play in normal conditions most times with the occasional drought over the summer but normal conditions mostly. My other wedge is a 54*S-grind. That is not changing. I need another wedge to compliment the 54. My 60 is also my bunker club. Is the V a good bunker club ?? Once again, i play in normal conditions. Bunkers i run into are usually decent to meh, but NEVER fluffy.

Im wondering if the V-grind is better suited for me ? Id like to think i can handle a T-grind, but if i can essentially play a V-grind just like a T-grind with considerably more forgiveness then im not sure why i wouldn't just play a V. See my conundrum here lol ?

I have both the T and the V thought I’d prefer the V due to more bounce but have found I just can’t take the T out of the bag.  I’ve been able to play any shot I’ve needed with it.  I play all of my rounds early morning in dew and wet sand in California if that helps.  

• Like 1

All Titleist