2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

PGA TOUR, DP World Tour and PIF announce newly formed commercial entity (*** NO POLITICS ***)

bscinstnct

Just now, Nixhex524 said:

The idea is great, but I can't help but wonder, would the Saudis give two poops about a union?  I mean, is that something they'd really honor?  At this point, if they don't get their way, they can pull all funding and dump this in the garbage.  Monahan made the PGAT look worthless and the players powerless.  It would be tough to think the Saudis would negotiate anything at this point.  They are holding the whole bag. 

That's a fair point, and it's exactly why I think the LIV players will always have a bit of a dark thought in the back of their mind. "Better not piss off my Saudi bosses." They won't just fire you, they'll chop you into 1,000 pieces. Now the other PGA Tour guys will find themselves in the same boat. At least they didn't directly sign contracts in the same manner. A bit more middle man separation is needed. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KarstenK said:

He has done plenty with the Saudi’s already. He bought a mansion in Miami last year. It was place over money for him. 

Plus over a dozen other players have been approached - Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) has just signed to play in a Saudi league team.

Messi will be an outlier - he might enjoy living in Miami but he won't enjoy the soccer.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

The idea is great, but I can't help but wonder, would the Saudis give two poops about a union?  I mean, is that something they'd really honor?  At this point, if they don't get their way, they can pull all funding and dump this in the garbage.  Monahan made the PGAT look worthless and the players powerless.  It would be tough to think the Saudis would negotiate anything at this point.  They are holding the whole bag. 

Here's a thought. Did pro golf ever need any money from the Saudi government? I say heck no. Tiger was paid less than $500,000 for his first Masters win in 1997, the most important golf tournament of the last 30 years. The players in today's game were being paid extremely well long before the Saudis jumped into the game with billions of dollars. A labor union that scares the Saudis away from putting money into pro golf? Sounds pretty good to me. Labor union could then force the Tour to treat the players top notch and continue getting plenty of money from corporate sponsors. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, redfirebird08 said:

Here's a thought. Did pro golf ever need any money from the Saudi government? I say heck no. Tiger was paid less than $500,000 for his first Masters win in 1997, the most important golf tournament of the last 30 years. The players in today's game were being paid extremely well long before the Saudis jumped into the game with billions of dollars. A labor union that scares the Saudis away from putting money into pro golf? Sounds pretty good to me. Labor union could then force the Tour to treat the players top notch and continue getting plenty of money from corporate sponsors. 

Pro golf was doing "fine".  Especially the players at the top.  With the Saudi money introduced to lower level guys, I think it could be tough to ever go backwards.  I would not be surprised to see a lot of money thrown at these guys up front only to have it dwindle over time.  Lots of friction right now and people are mad.  Players want the money, but who else has that kind to throw around?  I just can't see the players giving in anymore after all this, they are gonna want everything they can get and deserve it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

29 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Pro golf was doing "fine".  Especially the players at the top.  With the Saudi money introduced to lower level guys, I think it could be tough to ever go backwards.  I would not be surprised to see a lot of money thrown at these guys up front only to have it dwindle over time.  Lots of friction right now and people are mad.  Players want the money, but who else has that kind to throw around?  I just can't see the players giving in anymore after all this, they are gonna want everything they can get and deserve it.

I agree the genie is out of the bottle. I also think the players should not take it for granted. The Saudis have said they expect a return on investment. Over time, if it becomes clear that they are continuing to lose money...they just might stop funding pro golf and move the money somewhere else more productive for their ROI goals.

Golf has a pretty small audience in the grand scheme compared to some of the truly big sports. It feels to me like the money being thrown around right now does not really line up with the TV ratings in general for golf. The Masters is the only tournament that seems to bring in huge enough ratings to justify these type of huge payouts, but that is only 1 tournament each year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack said:

I still don’t understand the repercussion discussion. Repercussions for what? The PGAT affirmed the money was fine, affirmed the owner of LIV and therefore LIV, I don’t get it.

I don’t understand why the PGAT guys that stayed are upset either. They made a decision to pass on LIV. Heck, we can’t pin that on Jay. These are grown men who now want to be compensated. These guys have no claim to anything and unfortunately for them have zero leverage anymore. They took their shot forcing elevated events and bigger purses, they got what they asked for. 

The repercussions are for breaking the rules of the PGAT. Nothing to do with Saudi money. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dan33185 said:

You're not alone...I was already losing interest, this just pushes me further away. Maybe I'll watch the majors, but that's about it. Greed ruins everything, now more than at any point in history it seems.

I’d already gotten to that point last year. This year I’ve watched the masters, couple of hours of the pga before going to bed (was obvious early on Koepka was going to win) and an hour here or there of the odd tour event.

I’ll try the US open and the Open, but if we see another runaway winner they’ll be going off. Won’t be watching the Ryder cup.

For my interest in my humble opinion, the game needs a new superstar that wins regularly and is exciting to watch. We’re just in a lull now as we were between Jack and Tiger where there are many good players but no superstars. And nobody say Rory, he hasn’t won a major in donkeys and has more squirrels in his head than in the whole of Sherwood Forest.

I also predict LIV will be cast aside by PIF now. They have what they want so why do they need Normans tour?

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Myspider Tour X  
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

1 minute ago, philly2kuk said:

I’d already gotten to that point last year. This year I’ve watched the masters, couple of hours of the pga before going to bed (was obvious early on Koepka was going to win) and an hour here or there of the odd tour event.

I’ll try the US open and the Open, but if we see another runaway winner they’ll be going off. Won’t be watching the Ryder cup.

For my interest in my humble opinion, the game needs a new superstar that wins regularly and is exciting to watch. We’re just in a lull now as we were between Jack and Tiger where there are many good players but no superstars. And nobody say Rory, he hasn’t won a major in donkeys and has more squirrels in his head than in the whole of Sherwood Forest.

I also predict LIV will be cast aside by PIF now. They have what they want so why do they need Normans tour?

Good points.  I think an equipment rollback (not just ball) would allow for true talent to shine and maybe more stars.  I realize not everyone agrees with that.  It’s just a thought.  Anyway I’m getting real sick of the leadership and the players.  People like golf not the drama. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

$50 million each isn't even close to enough with the new PIF money coming to the players. You need to up that factor by 7-10X. 

And that league would make no money just like the LIV Tour never did unless you got every single star player who stayed on the PGA Tour to move. 

Sure but look how Liv has wormed its way back. Rory Jon Scottie Jordan and Hideki would be a good breakaway from the new group to start up . Just saying if those guys wanted to get some of their own back and stick it to Jay and co they could take a big offer to play, let’s say 54 hole exhibition matches. Jay and the Saudis would have to tempt them back somehow. What’s good for the goose etc etc.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, notsohard said:

Was all a bit of fun apparently as they were seen laughing together afterwards.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Myspider Tour X  
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

In light of Monahan saynig he didn't think there would be much crossover of players between the PGAT and LIV, my question...what is the point of all of this then? Are we just going to see more of the same with the occasional small change...and maybe some expansion of the team conept? Because if that's the case, this will just speed up my rapidly waning interest in the game.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, tgoodspe1991 said:

One of the most hypocritical moves in sports I've ever seen. The fact that they're establishing a new for-profit entity just proves they're ready to fill their pockets.

when its settled and all the tours  come under one ownership what's to stop  the tour lowering prize money and really making a huge profit?

Its  a commercial   entity so  all is fair?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

So does anyone else remember when the whole reason that LIV was terrible was because they were backed by the PIF, and the PIF invests specifically FOR the Saudis and the Saudis are terrible people? 

And now I seem to be reading that the reason that LIV is terrible is because LIV is terrible, but it's okay that PIF is a partner in this merger with the PGA because, even though they invest specifically for the Saudis, at least they aren't LIV. 

This is the most mind-boggling show of self-righteous hypocrisy I've even seen among golfers filled with mathews_quote.gifintegrity!mathews_quote.gif 

On the flip side, watching the magical transformation of rigid golfers into miraculously flexible, mental gymnasts is rather entertaining! mathews_cry_laughing.gif

This sums it up perfectly.

Professional golf trying to sell itself as a game of integrity has always made me laugh - maybe at one point way back when (definitely before I started playing), but modern professional golf is all about the money - morals and ethics be damned.  Doesn't matter if you're a top dog, fighting for your card, monday Q's, or a YouTube golfer - it's all about the bank account.

And Rory's statement of 'just play better' is it wrong? It's not like they didn't know the rules of the game getting into it did they?

Just to clarify - my enjoyment of the game of golf doesn't come from what happens at the professional level. That is there to entertain me and that's it. I feel more for my club pro, the instructor on the range, the people running my club, and to a certain extent the LPGA/LET - but not the PGAT/DPWT/LIV/KFT and that ecosystem.

• Like 3

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver Kai'li Blue S

Callaway Mini Bertha 1.5 Kuro Kage S

TaylorMade Gapr Mid 3 KBS S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide

A lot of Rory bashing, bit harsh in my books. 

I thought his press conference was really good, measured and thoughtful answers adding details opinion and context to what is going on.  

He has put his head above the parapet in the past year for something he believes in. If money was all he cared about he could have gotten a huge pay out from LIV, probably could have named his price, but as he said he wasn't even made an offer. 

Say what you like about him, but not many professional athletes or public persona's speak as freely and as honestly as he does.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

• GwrxMod locked, locked and unlocked this topic