2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

beginner golfer's first putter... where to begin?

jallen013

I'm a middle-aged guy that's very much a baby in my golf journey. About 4 months ago I bought a single used 8 iron and started going to the range. About 2 months ago I upgraded from my single iron to a set of used irons and am now going to the range at least weekly. Now I have the itch to get my first putter. This seems rather overwhelming and I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

When I talk to the people at the big stores, they generally say that the only thing that matters is do I like the way it looks and feels. The thing is, I don't really know enough to know what looks "right" and don't exactly know what type of feel I prefer.

One of the coaches at the range I go to was a little more helpful... he said to hit a bunch of different putters and see A) which one I can make the ball roll straight with and B) which one seems like it best goes where I aim it. This makes more since to me but I don't have enough consistency in my stroke to make the same determination two weeks in a row.

I'd assume that this lack of consistency also means I'm nowhere near ready for a putter fitting... so where do I begin. Do I just pick up a used Anser-style or Odyssey putter (history and popularity has to mean something, right?) and start building my stroke? Do I just go with one that I think is cool and hope it's close enough to right? Do I search for "most forgiving putter 2023" and go with the #1 suggestion? I don't expect to get my forever putter straight out of the gate but I'd also like to help myself as much as possible from the jump.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Edited by jallen013
  • Like 1

You're probably gunna go through a couple (at least). Pick one up used that you like the look and feel of.  If it's one you can reasonably control your pace and start line with, that's more than good enough at this point. 

• Like 3

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

29 minutes ago, Binson said:

You're probably gunna go through a couple (at least). Pick one up used that you like the look and feel of.  If it's one you can reasonably control your pace and start line with, that's more than good enough at this point. 

x2 for this. You're not going to have the consistency to really nail down the best putter for you. Choose one that has a neck style that you like at address and that feels not too heavy/light when swinging. 

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

... At your level "feel" doesn't mean how the ball reacts off the face. Feel means how does it swing with your beginner stroke. Mostly it ia balance, as some will feel heavier or lighter and some will go back on the arc you want play or wander off the ball. If all of that means nothing to you, I would pick a used mallet or blade that you putt as well as any of the others. If it seems like none of that makes any difference for you ... go with the cheapest one! 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Ping Anser.

Ping b60.

Odyssey Rossie 11

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I just started this journey with my son.  Long story short, I have a closet full of putters my wife knows nothing about and pulled out a half dozen of them for my 14y/o to try out.  We went to the putting green and found a straight uphill 6’er.  I watched him with all the different models and while his setup/grip/posture/stroke/tempo was inconsistent at best, he still consistently aligned a Ping Darby better than others.  So that’s what we went with.

• Haha 2

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Driving Iron  Ping iCrossover 2i Ventus Blue 9x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, MelloYello said:

Odyssey 2-ball (w. Double-Bend Shaft) 

There are lots of (what I think are good) reasons to start there. 

It's a putter that has a ton of built-in neutrality. I'll spare you the details in the debate between whether face-balanced or toe-hang putters are better, but there are reasons to suggest a face-balanced putter (i.e. one with the double-bend shaft) is the more "neutral" condition. Putting is a game of controlling face rotation, and face-balanced putter designs make that really easy to do. 

It's a mallet and TBH, mallets are just better. They do more for you in terms of stabilizing your stroke and often help with shorter putts. So if you can get used to a mallet and develop good distance control with one, it's going to help in the long run. Users of "blade" putters chose them because they've used them for a long time. If you're starting from scratch, start with the most helpful tool and develop your skills around that. 

It's tried and true. The 2-ball is an old design but it's still widely used by tons of players. The weight is perfect and the alignment aid is simple and easy to use. It's basically fool-proof. Virtually everyone has tried a 2-ball at some point and nobody dislikes them. A lot of pro's still use them. 

2 Ball is a fantastic starting point. I've played with quite a few putters and I game a 2 Ball Eleven. Not to mention, CPO has good deals on them basically all the time. 

@jallen013 - https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/putters/putters-2021-wh-og-2-ball.html

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

My first and only putter was an Odyssey Two Ball SRT mallet that I am still using to this day. As I mentioned in another post, I am just coming back to the game after a long layoff and so far this club is giving me the most confidence. Easy to aim and feels just right. Just my $0.02.

Good luck!

• Like 1

WITB (Spring 2024):

Driver:               Mizuno MP600 (9.5*)

3W:                    Titleist 909F2 (15.5*)

Hybrid:              TaylorMade Burner Rescue (19*)

Irons:                 Mizuno MX-200 (4-G)

Wedges:            Vokey Oil Can (54*); Mizuno MP-T (58*)

Putter:               Odyssey White Steel 2-ball SRT

Ball:                   Srixon Q-Star Yellow / Kirkland Signature v3 Yellow

Welcome to the world of golf, what works one day may not the next regardless how much you practice.

Try to find a golf store that let's you return / exchange your club purchases so that you can zero in on a club that works for you.  Edwin Watts or WordWideGolfShops will give you 90 days to play the club and will take it back for store credit so that you can find something that works.  They also have used clubs.

My putter is an Odyssey Milled Collection 2 putter that has continued to destroy all challengers. 

• Like 1

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice.

It all boils down to what’s comfortable and what starts the ball on your desired line. 

one drill I use everytime I practice is the clock drill it simulates pressure on the course. You can search for it on YouTube. Start at 3’ and master that. You’ll be amazed at how much your putting improves. 

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

I would add on to the 2 ball for a good putter. I'm of the belief that a putter isn't going to make a huge difference, heck at a true beginner level maybe even going to a goodwill store and hopefully they have a cheap mallet to buy.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

The 90-day guarantee for some of the stores mentioned upthread sound like a winner.  If there's a Golf Galaxy/PGASS/etc..., go in and mess around with the new and used putters for a while.  Try em all, conventional, armlock, broomstick.  Different lengths: 30 through 36".  Mallet v Anser, center-shaft vs plumber's neck vs others.  Try different markings on top, including one and two ball.  Heavy/light, thick vs pistol vs square sided grips. You get the idea.

You don't have to buy anything.  Maybe something will call you, a la Harry Potter and wand-hunting.  Maybe not.  But you'll know a lot more about your likes and dislikes after you're done.

When you start to nail it down a bit, get a putting mat and see if you can get the hang of rolling a putt over a target, with an even, smooth roll.  If you've an iPhone or iPad, the Ping putting app is a lot of fun. (You can tape the phone to the shaft, no cradle required.)  Plus it'll help clue you in, after awhile, as to what lie, loft, stroke type, it thinks suits your putting.

But for right now, just gather information.

Go to Edwin Watts, PGA SuperStore, Golf Galaxy or local golf shop… they usually have a pile of used putters… don’t buy anything that looks new so you don’t overpay… it’s likely gonna come down to a blade or a mallet… I’d go with one that feels good in the hands and good over the ball…. Used gives you a lot of opportunity to try different putters

• Like 1

I would recommend the following:

Bullseye

TP Mills #3

Zebra

Cameron Super Select Golo 6

Ping Anser

Bettinardi inovai 5

Ping B90

Mizuno M Craft 1

Flanigan Designed By

Taylormade Manta Ghost

YES! Callie

Fortunately, I know just where you can find that exact selection ...

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 7/9/2023 at 2:57 AM, MelloYello said:

Odyssey 2-ball (w. Double-Bend Shaft) 

There are lots of (what I think are good) reasons to start there. 

It's a putter that has a ton of built-in neutrality. I'll spare you the details in the debate between whether face-balanced or toe-hang putters are better, but there are reasons to suggest a face-balanced putter (i.e. one with the double-bend shaft) is the more "neutral" condition. Putting is a game of controlling face rotation, and face-balanced putter designs make that really easy to do. 

It's a mallet and TBH, mallets are just better. They do more for you in terms of stabilizing your stroke and often help with shorter putts. So if you can get used to a mallet and develop good distance control with one, it's going to help in the long run. Users of "blade" putters chose them because they've used them for a long time. If you're starting from scratch, start with the most helpful tool and develop your skills around that. 

It's tried and true. The 2-ball is an old design but it's still widely used by tons of players. The weight is perfect and the alignment aid is simple and easy to use. It's basically fool-proof. Virtually everyone has tried a 2-ball at some point and nobody dislikes them. A lot of pro's still use them. 

I agree with most things said here. Depending on your ability to spend money on golf relatively without constraints or not, I'd argue that you should still try to get a putter that suits your putting stroke to a certain degree. Most strokes are usually put into 2 categories: 1) Arc & 2) Straight Back Straight Through. Ideally, you want to get a putter that matches your putting stroke. I have so many friends who have played golf for fun their entire lives, and it's shocking that no matter how well they strike the ball off the tee-box or on the fairway...they can never really get an impressive score, simply because they have used putters that don't fit them for their entire lives. A lot of weekend golfers don't really understand what the different hosel types are really supposed to do, and why there are many different shapes and configurations. I'm a pretty bad golfer (albeit I just started taking it seriously this year - 24 handicap and typically 30-32 putts a round), but I still can't help to feel bad for some of my buddies that are able to hit 280-320 yard drives straight, but then 3 or 4-putt, missing 4 footers, because their putters of choice and their strokes don't match. 

If there is a good golf store around you with a practice mat and lots of different putters, I seriously think you should spend a full hour in there (maybe a couple times) to figure out 1) what your most natural putting stroke looks like (ie. what feels good to you), and 2) which types of putters match your putting stroke. I do think that watching putting instruction videos do help educate you on putting.

You should definitely go with a used putter as your first purchase, and until you have played enough rounds and practiced enough, you won't really know what you really need from a putter, and whether the putter you (plan to) buy is adequate or not.

I think mallets are easier and more consistent with lag putts than blades. My experience with blades is that any hint of hesitation during my stroke (typically for me is the worry of too much power in my stroke, which would lead to putting way past the hole) tended to lead me to hold back, which then my ball only goes half or 2/3 the distance that it was supposed to travel. Then, it's almost a guaranteed 3-putt in most situations for me. It's not as bad with a mallet, and better feel for the ball with pace control and distance (for me at least).

Lastly, no matter what you buy, you really need to like how the putter looks. It should look slick/cool to you, and give you confidence. Setting up at address with a putter you find ugly won't help you putter for sure. My high school lacrosse coach used to say, "look good, feel good, play good."

Used 2 ball. 

Inexpensive, (less than a C note)  and great for a new player to get comfortable with alignment. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle