2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What is the high-end, elite country club uniform in 2023?

I'm still trying to figure out how you determine what and who is considered "Elite" 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I'm still trying to figure out how you determine what and who is considered "Elite" 

I am not sure "who" is elite. I am not really talking about a specific person. I am not discussing people being better than others or anything. This is not that "deep" of a thread. We are talking about clothes here. 

In terms of the club? I would say fully private, with a significant waitlist and a 6 figure initiation at a minimum? I don't know? I'm not a member of an "elite" club but I would think something like LACC or Pine Valley or Brookline or Chicago Golf Club or Cypress Point would certainly qualify. Not sure what the bottom of the barrel looks like for "elite" club. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

3 hours ago, braincramp52 said:

I would think any fully private club would be considered "elite". I read an article that said about 25% of courses in the US are private, rest are either muni's or daily fee. I'd guess this number to be relatively similar in Canada. Not sure about Europe or Australia. But I'm guessing that around the world, when taking into account private courses aren't as much of a thing/status symbol outside of North America, only 10% or less of golfers would be members at private clubs. That seems relatively "elite" to me 

2 hours ago, LeoLeo99 said:

He's a humble multitasker. Something you wouldn't know much about, flyboy. 

🥸

You're probably correct about his excellency. In my world we pay attention to the job; multitasking might lead to a big smoking hole in the ground. 😉

• Haha 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:49 AM, vandyfan said:

After starting this thread I ended up *slightly* deviating and got some Cole Haan golf shoes rather than the stock FJs for no other reason than just to be different I suppose?

image.png.9536fa62c5afed60aaec45fb8928463d.png

So far they are fairly comfortable and a massive style upgrade from my gray Cuater Money Maker shoes which look like old people orthopedic shoes. Also picked up some 7.5" inseam shorts which I am digging so far.  

Run Forrest run!!

• Haha 1

Need a clarification, I’m right in that age bracket and a member at that kind of club… are you wondering what the douchey young money crew wears (they love their g-fore and other flashy logoed up gear and loud staff bags) or what the guys you don’t bet with wear (generally understated and small logos if any). I generally try to keep logos to a minimum anyway, but I really like Linksoul. Fits great and much more understated.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:50 PM, bcjim said:

All this talk of 6(?!), 7, 8" inseam shorts is some kind of inside joke.  Right?

6" is pretty extreme but 7" and definitely 8" is perfectly fine, to my eye, assuming someone is average height and has an athletic build. @bcjim are you advocating for 9-10" inseams? Because they end up looking like this which looks a little dated to me...

image.png.3845edaa61f7438eb0698b161f19ef7b.png

On 8/6/2023 at 1:40 AM, RenoLaw said:

Need a clarification, I’m right in that age bracket and a member at that kind of club… are you wondering what the douchey young money crew wears (they love their g-fore and other flashy logoed up gear and loud staff bags) or what the guys you don’t bet with wear (generally understated and small logos if any). I generally try to keep logos to a minimum anyway, but I really like Linksoul. Fits great and much more understated.

Important distinction, I am talking understated. The g-fore stuff with the skulls, urban camo and the huge block letters you can take all that away and throw it in the trash can. Subtle to no logos, well tailored (not excessively so, need to leave something to the imagination), probably subtle or no prints....that kind of stuff. I have had some Linksoul stuff in the past and while it moves well some of it (the shorts) feel a little cheap. But that was just my experience. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

The Linksoul short/pants that I have definitely are more casual and feel light and like stretchy boardshorts. I think that's the vibe they're going for. Great for a casual round, but not really a buttoned up look. Peter Millar polos, Greyson pants and FJ Premieres are what I wear if I'm not going casual, the Greyson polos get a little loud for me...

Think it depends on what is then considered "golf" clothing. Coming from the Netherlands the whole idea of a private club is very different from the NA idea. When we talk about "elite" brands...what makes it elite? Honest question. 

Are we talking about premium fit and feel for the sport? Or does price come into play? 

Reason I am asking is because I have half my golf closet made up out of Lindeberg, the other are mostly polos and shorts, etc, from Ralph Lauren Purple Label. 

Both do the trick and the Lindeberg are as nice a fit and as stretchy and comfy as the Purple Label is. 

I almost feel as if when talking about the hat being from some ultra exlusive club you want to show off? (not saying you are, but it sounds like it to me, language barrier maybe?)

Here, at the most exclusive clubs we wouldn't even care if someone walks around in a tshirt anymore. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vandyfan said:

6" is pretty extreme but 7" and definitely 8" is perfectly fine, to my eye, assuming someone is average height and has an athletic build. @bcjim are you advocating for 9-10" inseams? Because they end up looking like this which looks a little dated to me...

Important distinction, I am talking understated. The g-fore stuff with the skulls, urban camo and the huge block letters you can take all that away and throw it in the trash can. Subtle to no logos, well tailored (not excessively so, need to leave something to the imagination), probably subtle or no prints....that kind of stuff. I have had some Linksoul stuff in the past and while it moves well some of it (the shorts) feel a little cheap. But that was just my experience. 

Huh, turns out you're right. I did some measuring and most of my go to shorts are 8-ish.   6 would still be no go for me and probably 7 too. 

I bought a pair of Adidas a couple of years ago that specifically stated 8.5 and they were a no go but it may have been they were cut unnaturally slim. I'm 6' 170 and in my normal 32, they were very constricting let's say. 

I agree that too long is no good either.

Man this is great

white G fore gallivanters for sure

salem drape shorts

rhoback for the guys who don’t know what’s  cool and Peter Millar polos for the rest

rope hat with exclusive logo for sure

bag - stitch bag 100%

• Like 4

D: Adams Speedline Fast 10 9.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana BF 60T
3W: Cobra F7 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana D+ 80TX
I: Titleist 714 MB 3-P True Temper PX 6.5
W: Vokey 54.08 SM4, Vokey 57.09 SM4, Vokey 60.08 M Grind True Temper PX 5.5
P: SC Timeless Deluxe Newport 2 Circle T Tour CT 35"

1 hour ago, Chazzzzzzzzzzzzzz said:

Man this is great

white G fore gallivanters for sure

salem drape shorts

rhoback for the guys who don’t know what’s  cool and Peter Millar polos for the rest

rope hat with exclusive logo for sure

bag - stitch bag 100%

We're gonna need some pictures so we, the unkempt masses, can decide if you are cool or not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

We're gonna need some pictures so we, the unkempt masses, can decide if you are cool or not.

Reading this thread sure makes me feel unkempt. I golf in an unbranded or sports team non-rope hat, grey or khaki joggers, a solid color, non-logo polo, and Puma golf shoes I got on clearance. 

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

Linksoul boardwalk shorts, Greyson, Peter Millar polos, hats that fit your head shape well.  Nice belt!  U can pair colors with some air max or go MG4 or classic Foot Joy.  Todays golfer is all over the map which is a great thing.. but one thing is certain for the country club sticks...they love those baby blue or white polos.  SO>MUCH>BABY>BLUEEEEE

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

16 hours ago, deathrow1986 said:

Think it depends on what is then considered "golf" clothing. Coming from the Netherlands the whole idea of a private club is very different from the NA idea. When we talk about "elite" brands...what makes it elite? Honest question. 

Are we talking about premium fit and feel for the sport? Or does price come into play? 

Reason I am asking is because I have half my golf closet made up out of Lindeberg, the other are mostly polos and shorts, etc, from Ralph Lauren Purple Label. 

Both do the trick and the Lindeberg are as nice a fit and as stretchy and comfy as the Purple Label is. 

I almost feel as if when talking about the hat being from some ultra exlusive club you want to show off? (not saying you are, but it sounds like it to me, language barrier maybe?)

Here, at the most exclusive clubs we wouldn't even care if someone walks around in a tshirt anymore. 

We here in the US feel much better about ourselves if we spend a lot of money on expensive items. My neighbors are a perfect example. He and his wife drive two new vehicles worth about $200,000, but they can't pay their monthly bills on time. They look good going down the road though.😅

• Haha 4

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

18 hours ago, deathrow1986 said:

I believe it is a language barrier, in the states we call this "flexin" or "big flex" .    Saying your closet is Lindeberg and Purple label would also be considered a flex.

Edited by bowhite79

IG: @sneakers_and_greens

7 hours ago, bowhite79 said:

I believe it is a language barrier, in the states we call this "flexin" or "big flex" .    Saying your closet is Lindeberg and Purple label would also be considered a flex.

More or less agreeing then 🙂  Which is why I mentioned both brands. My golf brand is Lindeberg. Nothing special about that as I rate it is the same category as Nike price or flex wise. 

Purple label is another category all together but I wouldn't call it golf clothing per se. Hence me wondering what the question is really about. What am I prancing around in at the 19th, or what am I wearing when I go play golf?

On 8/2/2023 at 10:49 AM, vandyfan said:

After starting this thread I ended up *slightly* deviating and got some Cole Haan golf shoes rather than the stock FJs for no other reason than just to be different I suppose?

image.png.9536fa62c5afed60aaec45fb8928463d.png

So far they are fairly comfortable and a massive style upgrade from my gray Cuater Money Maker shoes which look like old people orthopedic shoes. Also picked up some 7.5" inseam shorts which I am digging so far.  

I bought the tan and green versions of those the other day.  Was on sale considerably as I am far from "elite."  

I was at the "old money" club a town over the other day.  Seemed to be various brands of pastel colored polos (it was hot)  Most were solids or tone on tone stripes.  Khakis for the most part were the style and color of short of choice.  

I am kind of glad the bright color thing has passed us by to a large extent.  I have a pair of orange shorts that I like but wear them less and less in favor of charcoal grey and navy ones.

My club is much more utilitarian or laid back.  The young kids might be playing in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.  Nobody cares.  The "mid-aged" guys you ask about are most likely wearing a polo, might be one of those really small print deals, untucked, with some solid shorts.  Likely wearing a more athletic type shoe with no-show socks.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 7:31 AM, vandyfan said:

Primo Golf makes the best understated 7 inch inseam golf shorts on the market.  They are cut really well (at least with how they fit my body).  The material is good enough but not great if that makes sense.  Like Vuori and Lulu have better fabric but the Primo shorts also don't feel cheap.  They also offer joggers in shorter inseam lengths (28 inch) so shorter dudes like me (5'8) can wear joggers and not have them bunch up at the bottom because of the standard 30in inseam.

Prior to discovering Primo, I had gone exclusively to Vuori for my golf shorts.  I bought 2 pairs of the Primo 7in inseam shorts and found myself never grabbing the Vuori's... I've since added 2 more pair lol  

I'm 37 so I fit in your range.  My go-tos align fairly well to what you outlined: 

Hat - Imperial Rope hats OR Melin Trenches hats are all I wear

Sunglasses - Raen

Polo - I still wear patterns.  I actually only wear solid color polos to work (Vuori).  For golf, I have a bunch of different brands.  I like the muted pattern peter millar and Straight Down polos (particularly the shirts which have a pattern kind woven into the fabric which is generally the same color as the base fabric).  I do have a few Bad Birdie polos but I they are the more muted patterns and not the party boy patterns

Shorts/Pants - Primo golf or Vuori for shorts (7in inseam preferred).  For pants I have a bunch of the Vuori Meta pant and have them tailored to perfection

Belt - Just a normal Allen Edmonds black leather belt

Shoes - Full athletic golf shoes due to a bulky knee.  Right now I have a couple pairs of the Cole Haan golf shoes but I also play more casual rounds in Vans Ultraranges.  Socks are always no show, in everything I wear, including for work with dress shoes.  What can I say, I have great ankles.  I let them fly LOL

Edited by SilverBullets
  • Like 2

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

22 hours ago, hlca said:

Clothes don't make the man.  Certainly not brands.  Fit is key.  Nothing too loud/obnoxious.  Keep it understated.

agree that clothes that simply fit properly goes a looong way for most

• Thanks 1

🍍 2023 WITB 🍍

Titleist TSR3 9.0* w/ Ventus Black 6x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* w/ Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSR3 19* w/ Ventus HB Blue 8s

Titleist T200 4-iron w/ Axiom 105x

Artisan LS 720HM 5-PW w/ Modus 115x

Artisan 50*, 56* w/ TT DGS S200

Vokey WW 60* LB-K w/ TT DGS S200

Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Two

On 8/7/2023 at 10:31 AM, vandyfan said:

Damn I have like 5 pieces of G-fore skull camo 😆

On 8/9/2023 at 5:47 PM, smashdn said:

I bought the tan and green versions of those the other day.  Was on sale considerably as I am far from "elite."  

I was at the "old money" club a town over the other day.  Seemed to be various brands of pastel colored polos (it was hot)  Most were solids or tone on tone stripes.  Khakis for the most part were the style and color of short of choice.  

I am kind of glad the bright color thing has passed us by to a large extent.  I have a pair of orange shorts that I like but wear them less and less in favor of charcoal grey and navy ones.

My club is much more utilitarian or laid back.  The young kids might be playing in basketball shorts and a t-shirt.  Nobody cares.  The "mid-aged" guys you ask about are most likely wearing a polo, might be one of those really small print deals, untucked, with some solid shorts.  Likely wearing a more athletic type shoe with no-show socks.

offtopic, but I had a not great experience w/ Cole Haan. The shoe let water in cause the glue came apart where the leather meets the sole. This happened within 4-6months.  They said i had to pay to return and pay to ship the product which they said was $25+(cant remember exact price).  while I understand that shipping costs are not part of the warranty, nearly every company ive dealt with eat the costs for warranty issue returns or the price is reasonable like $5-10, and only one way.

hope yours dont leak. they were comfortable shoes fwiw.

• Sad 1