2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What is the high-end, elite country club uniform in 2023?

And I should caveat this, I am talking about for men ages 35-45 who are still fairly in shape and athletic. From what I have observed, by that age most have moved out of the "party boy" print shirts and joggers are probably waaay to casual. It seems like it is some version of:

Hat: Subtle rope hat from another ultra private or exclusive club/resort

Shirt: Solid color polo (generally white/blue/green) with small or no logo (I generally think like B. Draddy, Donald Ross Sport, Holderness & Bourne)?

Belt: A lot of those needlepoint belts a la Smathers and Branson?

Shorts/Pants: 7-8 inch inseam fitted short or tapered pant that hits at the top of the golf shoe (I have to be honest I don't really know who makes higher end pants/shorts)

Socks: No show

Shoes: All white Footjoys?

What say you all? Generally seems like stuff is still fairly snug fitting but not as tight as it used to be a few years ago but also not back towards the billowy polo shirt days of the late 90s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

So just down the road at a club in Brentwood and just fall out of the age group that you mentioned.  You are pretty directionaly accurate in your assessment. Around shoes, see more G-Fore (gallivanter or MG4+) than Footjoy, and a pretty even balance of athletic type (say Nike) vs. traditional.    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RMGC_NV said:

I would challenge your solid color polo theory

Definitely an unproved theory as I don't have that much first hand experience. Basically I am trying to build a wardrobe that I won't immediately regret (even though I know fit/tailoring trends seem to cycle in and out). I just look at some of my patterned shirts and think "why did I do that?"

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

There are a bunch of private clubs in my area, many high end, been on a few. 

The daily players are going full comfort, I'm talking like FJ Golf Sneakers as their shoes for their daily 9 or 18. 

Clothing it varies but again comfortable and in constant rotation. 

Hat it's usually their older favorite "dad hat" style they got from a trip 5 years ago. 

The ones who dress to the 9s are guys like me that get invited to play a round and adhere to the Dress Code like criminal punishment is possible for breaking it. Shoot I was at a pretty high end club last year and the hosts father walked up in flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt and no peep from anyone. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

@phillyspecial big fan of these takes, haha! Thank you for your detailed response. What G/Fore has done to hats is so egregiously bad that I have to boycott everything they do. That "RAW" hat that Michael Block wore made me hate him for that alone. I will have to check out the Holderness and Bourne shorts. 

Any thoughts or experience with B Draddy? I have a few of their shirts and the standard casual polos are fine but I had a few weird things happen with the Draddy sport that I didn't love. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

If person has volunteered recently at a pro tournament, expect to see that golf shirt for play at local club.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Same thing it's always been... You're pretty spot on, but I see more of the "casual/ sneaker type" shoes then a few years ago. Also, like someone mentioned above, many of the everyday golfers are much more casual in hoodies and joggers/lulu lemon type pants.

As far as shirts go... I think prints are on their way out, but stripes are always in. With that being said... I was just at Sawgrass and a group of 40 somethings all had on ninja turtle polo shirts so what do I know. 

Edit:

B Draddy is okay... They don't fit me well as most of their shirts have zero taper, but if you are a larger dude, I'm sure they fit great. I do love the B Draddy t-shirts... but for 60$ there are other things to purchase.

Edited by DiscoDiner
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, DiscoDiner said:

They don't fit me well as most of their shirts have zero taper,

That is a good point. Probably why some of my johnnie-o polos seem to fit slightly better. The B Draddy are a tad billowy on me as I am 6'0", 180 lbs so not really a big dude. I think I just am naturally gravitating towards smaller/no logos (especially not course logos but also not loving brand logos either). That is one thing I don't like about straight down is just the overall size of their logo. Also, I got some Straight Down 5 pocket pants as a giveaway at a member guest and maybe it is just that particular style but they do not fit great. Like no taper at all and after hemming them they somehow look worse. 

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

It depends on a person's definition of “ELITE” club, high-end, where the club is located, its charter and club culture.  Full country clubs often have more complex charters and dress codes than simple Golf Clubs.

I've played at most of high-end clubs here in SOCA and a few other states.  Most 35-40 year olds are junior members of high-end clubs, which usually means non-voting if equity.  That means 75k to 300k initiation and 1500-2200 per mo dues.  At the clubs I've visited, members dress accordingly. 

At high-end elite clubs, members dress according to the clubs' charter.  Some clubs are more stringent than others, but NONE Of the clubs I've played at stipulate attire like expressed by the OP.

• Confused 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, phillyspecial said:

Hat:   The GFORE block letter hats need to be fired into the sun.  Its over, its been over for 3+ years.  Please someone make it stop.  

Amen. I hate those with a passion. Especially the ones with some weird shortened version of the club name that nobody actually uses in real life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vandyfan said:

And I should caveat this, I am talking about for men ages 35-45 who are still fairly in shape and athletic. From what I have observed, by that age most have moved out of the "party boy" print shirts and joggers are probably waaay to casual. It seems like it is some version of:

Hat: Subtle rope hat from another ultra private or exclusive club/resort

Shirt: Solid color polo (generally white/blue/green) with small or no logo (I generally think like B. Draddy, Donald Ross Sport, Holderness & Bourne)?

Belt: A lot of those needlepoint belts a la Smathers and Branson?

Shorts/Pants: 7-8 inch inseam fitted short or tapered pant that hits at the top of the golf shoe (I have to be honest I don't really know who makes higher end pants/shorts)

Socks: No show

Shoes: All white Footjoys?

What say you all? Generally seems like stuff is still fairly snug fitting but not as tight as it used to be a few years ago but also not back towards the billowy polo shirt days of the late 90s.

I see a lot of this you describe usually with the financially well-off, well-mannered, relatively physically fit, lower handicap age 35-45 private club member set on the east coast. I'll add that the shirts are often traditional style small horizontal stripes, sort of a style popular 20+ years ago. The shoes are often all-white GFore Gallivanters. And definitely the needlepoint belts from either their own club or other fancy clubs they were guests at.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

At high-end elite clubs, members dress according to the clubs' charter.  Some clubs are more stringent than others, but NONE Of the clubs I've played at stipulate attire like expressed by the OP.

My intention with the post was not so much that these clubs stipulated a certain style but, rather, what are most guys my age wearing at the higher end places. I don't belong to a super high end club and I have no illusions that dressing the part changes that. Rather, I was curious what the higher-end, understated look was these days as that is typically what I prefer now. Basically my goal would be to blend in at one of those places. 

And yes, the overwhelming majority of private clubs of course have dress codes of some sort. Some go so far as require pants and define shorts length etc while others are more relaxed and everything in between. Where I play I could dress schlubby and no one would really care but I guess I would?

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

23 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

What is wrong with this look?!

Honestly I am good until we get to the shoes. I cannot pull off black shoes, personally. Also, I have to wear a hat or my skin will peel completely off my face. 

I mean Arnold generally looked great which is why he was always able to pull a ton of leg outside of his marriage keep his wife admiring him. 

@ReviellGolf I have a pair of macade pants and they are made well but I fear they are not going to age well (from a fashion perspective) and definitely not classic since they are joggers. But they look good enough but I would put them over towards the more fashion forward side rather than the classic side. 

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Just now, vandyfan said:

My intention with the post was not so much that these clubs stipulated a certain style but, rather, what are most guys my age wearing at the higher end places. I don't belong to a super high end club and I have no illusions that dressing the part changes that. Rather, I was curious what the higher-end, understated look was these days as that is typically what I prefer now. Basically my goal would be to blend in at one of those places. 

And yes, the overwhelming majority of private clubs of course have dress codes of some sort. Some go so far as require pants and define shorts length etc while others are more relaxed and everything in between. Where I play I could dress schlubby and no one would really care but I guess I would?

It's NOT an analytical science to me.  What's more important is how someone wears their choice of cloths more than the actual cost of or designer of those cloths.  That was how we went about telling members about the dress code and how I convey proper dress at the office.

Most of the guys I play with are CEO's, Presidents, Owners, a few Celebrities and MD/Surgeons.  The fortune 1000 guys still wear suites to board meetings, as I do, and to meetings with similar level people.  I wear Zanella slacks, sport coats, open collar starched shirt, and Ferragamo shoes to work, BOD and community meetings.  That's casual compared to how I used to dress.  I've only experienced a few clubs that require long pants on the course.  On the course, I wear Bermuda length Tommy Bahama shorts, Bugatchi Hendrix shirts, and sport socks clean white Sqairz shoes.  Most of my colleagues and friends have similar wardrobes, all depends on where they come from.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Don’t forget, we usually break out the cashmere pieces from the closet even in the hot weather months because where we summer it’s still cool in the mornings. Also, needle point is so “extended family”, the member wears gator, rollie on the wrist, brown saddle on the course, leather soles off, seersucker whenever we can. And props are for boats, not planes. 

Edited by Llortamaisey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

White imperial rope hat with a colored rope of some sort

Solid color Holderness/Greyson/Peter Millar polo with a club logo on the right side of the chest

Smathers belt

Navy or gray shorts with an inseam somewhere between 6-8 inches. Think the Peter Millar ones are fairly common.

White no show or ankle socks (Usually FJ, Nike, maybe even Under Armour)

All or mostly white shoes, either FootJoy traditionals or those sneaker looking ones, some of the recent nikes mixed in, etc. But hardly see any all black shoes anymore on anyone under 85 years old. 

Additionally, it feels like there's a weird unspoken rule that none of the course logos you wear can match. At maximum, maybe 2 items can match but hat/shirt/belt with the same logo kind of looks goofy unless you work at the club or something. No idea where that originated. But it's real

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phillyspecial said:

Hat:  Imperial or American needle, white/navy w small logo.  The GFORE block letter hats need to be fired into the sun.  Its over, its been over for 3+ years.  Please someone make it stop.  

Shirts:  PM still king (Crown Crafted preferred), HB very strong as well.  Greyson only for solids (prints are wtf).  

Shorts:  The new HB summer shorts are great, Vuori normal shorts are amazing for golf as well.  PM/Greyson no bueno, they fit and look weird.  

Pants:  the PM eb66 still king.  

Shoes:  Feet are weird, the each their own.  

Qzips:  PM, HB rinse and repeat

Hoodies:  the new HB ones are great.  Greyson very strong.  Hoodies in general getting played out, but fancy clubs with an It factor sell them with a logo and embrace it.   

Outerwear:  Kjus 

Brand takes:

GFORE: Jumped the shark.  No longer cool.  Please go away and take all of your hats with you.  

Straight Down:  I liked this brand, its fading, hope the have a resurgence.  

RLX:  What happened?!  Used to be awesome at vests and shirst were strong in the closet.  Im down to zero RLX in the rotation.  

Greyson:  Still cool.  Shirt patterns trying too hard tho.  Shorts are so odd fitting.  layers, hoodies are great tho.  Great logo.  

Pete Miller - I dont know how they do it being so commercial and so big, but they know how to stay on trend.  

HB:  They figured out a way to elevate the PM look - kudos to them, stuff and patterns are classic design.  

Nike/Adidas/UA/Bonobos (aka Walmart), Donald Ross, F&G, JL.... what high end Pro Shop is stocking this stuff let alone slapping their logo on it?  Merch director needs to be fired if so.  

I play with a lot of good players 35-45 and while not all of them are style icons, all would agree that Peter Millar is not the best manufacturer of basically everything and always on trend lol. 

It's not a bad brand but come on its basically known for being old golf channel commentator clothing. 

Gfore has jumped the shark as has Nike and Jordan brand in particular. Greyson is still ok but also in the process of jumping the shark (although you can look as cool as Matt Fitzpatrick I guess). 

Brands I like at the moment are pretty limited. H+B and kjus shorts and outerwear, p Millar belts and old shoes maybe old footjoy or old gfore. I don't know about shoes anymore I find it hard to find new shoes I like. 

I don't belong to any elite clubs but have played in a few when I lived in the states. But that was years ago. Golf style and fashion have changed quite a bit since.

Currently living in Germany for the past 14 years. Europeans like to dress to the 9s no matter what the activity. On the courses here, I see Kjus, Galvin Green, and Polo. Mostly classic styles. Crew neck/V neck sweaters over polos and slacks. 

I love golf fashion and like to think I dress well both on and off the course. Personally, I wear a lot of Greyson, Peter Millar, H&B, and Polo/RLX. Have a decent collection of exotic skin belts in various colors that I prefer over the needlepoint belts. As for shoes, FJ Premiers, G/Fore Gallivanters/MG4+ and Jordan/Nikes.