Scotland golf trip on a budget?

4 of us are looking to go away to Scotland next month (August) for a long weekend golf trip and want to make the most of what Scotland can offer.

Has anyone been to Scotland and not played the more recognisable courses (St andrews old, Carnoustie etc) while maintaining a budget? We would still like to play some of the top courses (maybe try and sneak a top 100 Scotland course in) but don’t want to spend thousands.

Did you book through a provider such as YGT or did you book independently at each course? Any information would be extremely valuable.

I don’t have a set budget in mind, I just my group wont want to spend a fortune 😂

Thank you!

3 hours ago, wxstyyy said:

4 of us are looking to go away to Scotland next month (August) for a long weekend golf trip and want to make the most of what Scotland can offer.

Has anyone been to Scotland and not played the more recognisable courses (St andrews old, Carnoustie etc) while maintaining a budget? We would still like to play some of the top courses (maybe try and sneak a top 100 Scotland course in) but don’t want to spend thousands.

Did you book through a provider such as YGT or did you book independently at each course? Any information would be extremely valuable.

I don’t have a set budget in mind, I just my group wont want to spend a fortune 😂

Thank you!

So many great affordable options. You can book any course yourself.

For me, one of the best trips is St. Andrews. You can buy the 3 day unlimited golf ticket there for £320 and play any of their courses except The Old Course. Another good one on the way up is Burntisland, and at £40 you’ll be hard pressed to find a better bargain. Southerness is a great one too for £50. Not sure where you’re coming in from, but Southerness, then Burntisland, then The New, The Jubilee, and The Castle would be a great itinerary.

The next option would be East Lothian. You could include Southerness on the way up, then play The Glen Club, Dunbar Golf Club, Kilspindie, or Gullane #2, or Gullane #3.

Another good option is Ayrshire. Once again play Southerness on the way, then you have Portpatrick, Prestwick St. Nicholas, Kilmarnock Barassie, Glasgow Gailes, Irvine Golf Club, and West Kilbride.

None of these options will break the bank, and are all good courses that are lots of fun to play.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Southerness is good, but quite a hike from anywhere.

"Sneak in a top 100 Scotland" sounds like your budget is quite thin. 

Fife is hard to beat for a trip to Scotland. Burntisland & Kinghorn are very reasonably priced. St Andrews Eden has become more pricey, but it's a good value Trust course. Pitreavie is a fine hilly course. It may be worthwhile to splurge on Elie.

If you are coming through East Lothian Musselburgh Old and Gullane 3 are good options. 

If you are coming up the M1/A1 Dunstanburgh Castle is good value. I am a big fan of Alnmouth Village. Goswick could also be an option for a splurge. 

5 hours ago, elwhippy said:

OK. Here is a list of top quality courses that won't break the bank. Southerness. Montrose. Brora. Lundin Links. Leven Links. Murcar. St. Andrews New and Jubilee. Irvine. Barassie. Glasgow Gailes.  Where do you plan to base your trip and how much are you prepared to pay for green fees? 

Thank you so much for the suggestions. what I am struggling with is that I am trying to narrow down my search area to have a mix of top 100 courses in Scotland and local gems while ensuring the travel isn’t too bad in that area, as we are travelling from London area and would like travel to be fairly limited.

Is Fife a good region to look at? And should I look to book tee times individually rather than through golf websites?

would love to know your thoughts.

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

So many great affordable options. You can book any course yourself.

For me, one of the best trips is St. Andrews. You can buy the 3 day unlimited golf ticket there for £320 and play any of their courses except The Old Course. Another good one on the way up is Burntisland, and at £40 you’ll be hard pressed to find a better bargain. Southerness is a great one too for £50. Not sure where you’re coming in from, but Southerness, then Burntisland, then The New, The Jubilee, and The Castle would be a great itinerary.

The next option would be East Lothian. You could include Southerness on the way up, then play The Glen Club, Dunbar Golf Club, Kilspindie, or Gullane #2, or Gullane #3.

Another good option is Ayrshire. Once again play Southerness on the way, then you have Portpatrick, Prestwick St. Nicholas, Kilmarnock Barassie, Glasgow Gailes, Irvine Golf Club, and West Kilbride.

None of these options will break the bank, and are all good courses that are lots of fun to play.

Thank you for suggesting St Andrews 3 Day, I never knew that existed! It might be too late notice now as this is all very last minute but that seems like a great deal.

Like I said in my other reply we are looking to travel from London area and probably fly into Scotland but we are looking for a good area to search for courses while making it easy for travel and accommodation.

we would most likely be flying in as well so would need to be accessible.

any thoughts?

1 hour ago, El Gringo said:

Southerness is good, but quite a hike from anywhere.

"Sneak in a top 100 Scotland" sounds like your budget is quite thin. 

Fife is hard to beat for a trip to Scotland. Burntisland & Kinghorn are very reasonably priced. St Andrews Eden has become more pricey, but it's a good value Trust course. Pitreavie is a fine hilly course. It may be worthwhile to splurge on Elie.

If you are coming through East Lothian Musselburgh Old and Gullane 3 are good options. 

If you are coming up the M1/A1 Dunstanburgh Castle is good value. I am a big fan of Alnmouth Village. Goswick could also be an option for a splurge. 

Budget can be stretched especially if its a good deal but I am unfortunately not the one that needs convincing!

All comments so far have mentioned St.Andrews, so maybe that’s where I should look?

2 hours ago, wxstyyy said:

Thank you for suggesting St Andrews 3 Day, I never knew that existed! It might be too late notice now as this is all very last minute but that seems like a great deal.

Like I said in my other reply we are looking to travel from London area and probably fly into Scotland but we are looking for a good area to search for courses while making it easy for travel and accommodation.

we would most likely be flying in as well so would need to be accessible.

any thoughts?

Not sure if you plan on renting a car or not, but honestly if you chose St. Andrews you wouldn’t need one. It’s is a little over an hour drive from Edinburgh Airport with buses running regularly. The 3 day ticket can be booked when you arrive, in fact, that is the necessary requirement. The starter will let you know what courses are available and what times. If you chose there, your travel would be very limited. As a bonus, you could also apply for the 48 hour ballot and maybe get on The Old Course. In addition, there are what’s called “dark times” available for The Old Course later in the day where you can play, but you’re not guaranteed to finish while it’s still light outside.

East Lothian is about 35 mins from Edinburgh airport, and also buses that run regularly. While the courses aren’t walking or short distance like St. Andrews, they are still not long drives. You could get taxis to the courses if you didn’t plan on renting a car. You could stay in Gullane, or North Berwick.

Both areas have plenty of hotels, BnB, or rental houses. Even though it’s the busy time there should still be vacancies. 

https://standrews.com/offers-and-packages/unlimited-golf-3-and-7-day-tickets

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

11 hours ago, wxstyyy said:

Budget can be stretched especially if its a good deal but I am unfortunately not the one that needs convincing!

All comments so far have mentioned St.Andrews, so maybe that’s where I should look?

As I say, Fife is the answer to most Scottish golf questions. If you don't want to rent a car St Andrews is perfect if you can get digs. 

You can book 3 day unlimited ticket in advance which gives you one advanced tee time per day, the Old Course is excluded. Any additional plays are booked on the day. The ticket isn't consecutive days either. 3 days in 7. I expect the ticket is £300 plus these days. It's good value if you play more than one round on any day or play Castle and New. 

East Lothian is more difficult to get value for such highly ranked courses as St Andrews offers. Don't need car though. If you stay in North Berwick there is a good service train from Waverley to NB. The bus line is fantastic between NB and Edinburgh. Stops right at Gullane where 2 & 3 are good value. 

If you do stay in East Lothian, but not Gullane, still try to eat at the Old Clubhouse. They will usually pick you up and drop you off. 

No idea how much you can squeeze into whatever a long weekend is. 

Find a base - St. Andrews, Troon, North Berwick, Dornoch, Aberdeen, Nairn and plenty of options near each. 

No idea what appeals to your group for all the variables, or what “budget” means so can’t really offer more.  

Of course, booking with a service would blow your budget. With time screwing around airports you might be money and hassle ahead to take a train from London. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

If just long weekend then definitely would get a base and St. Andrews seems to make the most sense given the proximity of the courses.

You mentioned a Top 100 Scotland course.   Most of the ones listed would be Top 100 Scotland but not Top 100 outside the US for example.  Those latter courses will blow a budget quickly.

An option if the timing would work and you are ok with potentially colder weather is to wait until October and look at the non high season which would save you some.

Not sure where you are flying into but that could be expensive airfare and could impact things as well as lodging could be higher than expected.   The demand for Scotland is very high and the lodging could be more than you expect.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

10 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

No idea how much you can squeeze into whatever a long weekend is. 

Find a base - St. Andrews, Troon, North Berwick, Dornoch, Aberdeen, Nairn and plenty of options near each. 

No idea what appeals to your group for all the variables, or what “budget” means so can’t really offer more.  

Of course, booking with a service would blow your budget. With time screwing around airports you might be money and hassle ahead to take a train from London. 

Totally agree on taking a train from London (kings cross?) to Edinburgh. Fast, scenic, cost effective, and comfortable with many fewer hassles.

• Like 2

Staying in St Andrews is the best place if you want to limit travel and just hang out there. The New, Jubilee and Castle courses are all good. Ladybank is also not far away.

Hang out in the Dunvegan or Jigger Inn.

If you hire a car to travel up you could get a good mix of courses and areas.

In this scenario (I know its not Scotland) hit Silloth on Solway (used to be the best value round in the UK, possibly still is) then go to Southerness. 

Nearest area after that would be west coast. Glasgow Gailes, Irvine Bogside, Kilmarnock Barrassie,

If you went east instead, East Lothian has Gullane 2 and 3, the Glen in North Berwick, Kilspindie is also a good shout.

Notable inland considerations are Lanark and Glenbervie.

On 7/22/2023 at 1:17 PM, wxstyyy said:

Thank you!

I don't know how many rounds you intend to play on a "long weekend", but assuming you are going all in, for 4 days and 8 rounds I'd go to the North of Scotland. There are so many really good courses there that are not on the radar of most overseas visitors that you can play on a budget. Here's a list of courses to consider that you can play during  peak season  for between 25 and 80 GBP per round. There is no reason to use a tour operator. Just go to the various club websites to book your tee times

In no particular order:

Combo ticket to play both Brora and Golspie is160 GBP (don't have to play both on the same day)

Combo ticket to play both Moray Old and Moray New is 145 GBP

Boat of Garten

Nairn Dunbar

Fortrose & Rosemarkie

Tain

Reay

Durness

The Struie course at Rotal Dornoch

Wick

If you want to go further East consider these:

St Olaf course at Cruden Bay

Peterhead

Cullen

Covesea

Duff House Royal

Inverallochy

Unfortunately, I think Fraserburgh Corbie Hill is now more than 100 GBP

If you want to add an expensive  "big name" course to your itinerary, Royal Dornoch, Nairn, Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen would be good choices to select from

Edited by sabram
to correct typos

Interesting.

I would certainly just go to St Andrews! when in August you planning? In August I currently have only 2 nights free for the entire month in my apartment, its nice but yes the town must be very busy.

The Walker Cup is the first weekend in September so watch that doesn't complicate things! getting restaurant bookings was hard a month ago so it will be busy round then. 

How many of you are there going to be?

If you really want then there are so many great places to golf for 3 days but watch there is a reason the higher rated ones are more expensive, my course limits the visitors and times they can play so watch for that. Also Saturday is generally members day for most private courses, mine you can't play as a visitor until 1630. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217